• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 vs. Starfield: Which Is Better, and Why?

Fallout 4 or Starfield, Which Is Better?

• Total voters
I've been glued to Fallout 4 lately, and seriously lost in its world for hours on end. Sure, the TV show stoked a bit of nostalgia. But the love was already there, and it's way better than I remembered the first time. Looks amazing too. (I played it on a 32" during final years if college, now I'm on 75")

I never played any of the DLC and with the imminent update, the time was right.

But lest we forget Starfield, the game that had us all buzzing. Until it didn't.

Thing is, after 15 to 20 hours, it didn't quite hit the mark for me, and I never felt compelled to pick it back up. Probably never will.

Both games stirred the pot, though. Fallout 4 split opinions for its narrative choices, while Starfield... well, it has its own set of divisive issues.

So, bless us with your take. Fallout 4 or Starfield?

They both suck. The answer is Fallout NV, 3, or Skyrim.

Season 7 Nbc GIF by One Chicago

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
I've been glued to Fallout 4 lately

...it's way better than I remembered the first time

Ha! Called it back in the OT for the new gen update. You're the first of many that will be stating this in the upcoming weeks.

In a post Starfield world, Fallout 4 will be finally heavily embraced by many

It's already the #1 trending game on PSN so trust you aren't alone whatsoever.

Last edited:
Ha! Called it back in the OT for the new gen update. You're the first of many that will be stating this in the upcoming weeks.

Yes sir, the first few hours were tough but once I pushed through and made it to Diamond City, I've been having a blast.

I think the first time, I just blazed through it.

Now, I'm doing more exploring, and playing better.

Currently, strung out on Buffouts after ambushing some guys drug deal, and trying to find some crime bosses stash.

Game has got me locked in.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Yes sir, the first few hours were tough but once I pushed through and made it to Diamond City, I've been having a blast.

I think the first time, I just blazed through it.

Now, I'm doing more exploring, and playing better.

Currently, strung out on Buffouts after ambushing some guys drug deal, and trying to find some crime bosses stash.

Game has got me locked in.

Why couldn't you just wait until next Thursday when the update releases? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Videogames.

kiphalfton

Not surprising.

- New game sucks
- Makes previous games [that you originally thought sucked] not seem as bad as you originally thought

That's life.

Diddy X

I thought Fallout 4 was shit at the beginning because they give you the power armor and kill the deathclaw so early in the game that I quit but after several years after getting into it and learning all the mechanics I think it's a pretty good game eventuo I never finished it, I'm coming back after I beat my current game (Shadow of the TR).

Starfield looks good to me I'll play it eventually.

Last edited:
I wanted to love Starfield but Bethesda somehow managed to make a game with universal traversal feel so small.

I liked Neon, and the large capital settlement where the game gets started. Forgot the name.

But after landing in several planets and roaming the same-ish looking science facility, I laid down the sticks.

It's crazy that the Commonwealth, is a single area that feels infinitely more varied and with greater depth than anything I experienced in Starfield.

I did only play 20 hours, though.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Definitely Starfield for me. FO 4 just did not click at all. For all its faults, there is a lot of fun to be had in Starfield especially with the factions. Also the ship building was a hell of a lot o fun. Still looking forward, impatiently, for the expansion.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I haven't played FO4. Looking forward to it. Judging from FO3, I like both that and Starfield, but Starfield is definitely better.

Starfield has one of the greatest OST of all time. Art design is phenomenal and surpasses anything in previous Bethesda games. The cities are some of my favorites in any RPG. All the faction questlines were great. The shooting felt great. I like how science based it is, and loved scanning planets. Put in 500 hours, looking forward to the DLC. Was my GOTY. Shooting and combat also feels great, but I would have liked more weapon variety, especially melee weapons. Once you get all the powers, those are pretty fun too. Voice acting, questline NPC quality, graphics, all were a huge step up. Starfield has probably the most variety in voice actors I've ever seen. Nothing in FO compares to the endless fascination I had with exploring planets, moons, space stations, different solar systems. Nothing even close. The level of customization options you have for the ship is amazing and never got old.

FO3 was great as well. VATS is the perfect way to make a shooter feel like an RPG and it was missed. I don't really recall any specific questlines standing out, or cities. But I enjoyed all of it.

Last edited:

Nonehxc

Fallout 4 without a doubt.

Why? One continuous map.

People loved their open worlds with lots to explore and discover and lots of shit to do since the 90s, and Skyrim and FO4 went further than ever on that.

Comes Starfield and 'here, has *accurate* vast empty rocks floating in space with a small PART of a quest that will take you to 3 planets in different systems in different galaxies... and maybe a few Radiant generated chores. 🙃'

Someone should have thrown out the airlock Todd Howard or the engineer that shouted 'but muh accuracy'

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I haven't played Fallout 4 in a while, but I remember getting frustrated with the encumbrance and not having a universal stash. Being able to build ships with portable storage in Starfield was a godsend. I think Fallout has a more interesting setting, post nuclear wasteland vs. Space. Graphically Starfield wins, obviously. Fallout had better weapons though and a better upgrade system, though still very similar. It was really the unique weapons and armor that makes Fallout the better offer I think. Character progression is also better in Fallout with the ability make better, more uniquely viable builds. In Starfield, there were some perks that seemed unnecessary and weapons that were overpowered out the gate even if you had no support from perks.

All that said, I went with Starfield because of the improvements they've made over previous games. The ship building is awesome. Graphically it's cleaner. Less bugs and jank. Enemies actually react to bullets and melee attacks realistically. That's always been a pet peeve of mine in Bethesda games.

Denton

I finished FO4 and found it to be a good 7/10 game, but its writing and quest design drags it down a lot. Far Harbor was pretty good.

Starfield I only played for about 10 hours before deciding to wait for final complete version and giving it a chance. Still waiting.

MikeM

I usually like space games but Starfield was too much “loading screen simulator” combined with terrible PC resource management. Just couldn’t get into it but i’ll try again at some point.

Fallout is bae for me. Loved 3, got the platinum trophy for Fallout 4 and recently finished NV on PC. I’m day one for the new Fallout 4 update on PC as it will be my first time playing it there.

Laptop1991

Fallout 4 easily, while 4 did lack the replayability and RPG mechanics of New Vegas and Fallout 3, it was still a good shooter with settlement building's and i loved the locations and characters, and the gameworld, and it was set all in a world that you could explore and discover things and i didn't just do the procedural content like Starfield has far too much of, even Preston Garvey's settlement quests end when you've done them all.

Last edited:

Sanepar

Are u joking right? Fallou4 is a ugly game, a really ugly game but it is a good one. Starfield besides few side quests has a horrendous main quest.

Top Bottom