• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout London: 'Bethesda didn't tell us about Fallout 4 update' | BBC News

mansoor1980

Gold Member

BBC is covering a mod for Fallout

200w.gif

Cyberpunkd

I only have one config change for F4 to make it run on SD Oled, wondering if they will fix that.

lol, no, but they will break all other mods people have.

Dazraell

He did say in an earlier video he had no contact with Bethesda, but apparently Bethesda hired 1 or 2 or the writers from Fallout London, so how does that work then.
To be fair, Bethesda hired individual devs from a mod team scattered through entire world. Not only they may not been even involved with Fallout 4 update, but they may also have NDA's preventing them from saying anything about things being worked on

Laptop1991

To be fair, Bethesda hired individual devs from a mod team scattered through entire world. Not only they may not been even involved with Fallout 4 update, but they may also have NDA's preventing them from saying anything about things being worked on
Fair enough, but Bethesda wouldn't hire anyone without knowing their writing ability and which people are doing the writing, so have BGS seen the mod or played it, and the bloke still said they have had no contact with Bethesda!. agree about the NDA bit.

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I'm not sure why this modding team think that Bethesda are timing the release of the Fallout update to screw their fan project (an admittedly impressive looking one).

I'm even more baffled as to why the BBC are reporting on this, but the production value* suggests this isn't exactly headline news.

*edit: of the news report, not the game.

Last edited:
Maybe it's because the mod takes place in LONDON and BBC is a UK company?

Wild idea I know ;)
Exactly!
Fallout is hot right now because of the show. Some reporter felt a story could be made out about it since its London and 'relatable'. Even tho reporting on a mod is odd. But it has that angle of they never told me dynamic/drama to it.

Dazraell

Fair enough, but Bethesda wouldn't hire anyone without knowing their writing ability and which people are doing the writing, so have BGS seen the mod or played it, and the bloke still said they have had no contact with Bethesda!. agree about the NDA bit.
They most likely sent only a small slice of what they worked on as a sample to show their work. I feel there is a difference of seeing a doc with a script for a quest than actually playing an entire thing. We also don't know if their audition didn't required writing something specifically for recruitment process. Or even if they were approached or if they did applied by their own. I'm not trying to debunk it or anything, but I've been on their Discord server for a while and devs repeated multiple times they didn't had contact with anyone from Bethesda. Furthermore, no one even replied to them about request to possibly release standalone version on Steam like Enderal and Nehrim. If they would be in contact, they would most likely not talk about it at all

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
will London be playable on either of the new consoles?

No, the mod is too big.

Xbox has 2GB limit and PS has 900MB limit for FO4 mods. I have no idea if the update will increase it but they didn't mention anything like that in the blogs, so safe to say that limit will remain the same.

Dazraell

I'm not sure why this modding team think that Bethesda are timing the release of the Fallout update to screw their fan project (an admittedly impressive looking one).

I'm even more baffled as to why the BBC are reporting on this, but the production value suggests this isn't exactly headline news.
Well, this depends from a point of view as it's kinda a big deal in terms of production value. This mod has a landscape larger than Fallout 4 and Far Harbor combined, it's basically like what New Vegas was for Fallout 3. And they have Sylvester McCoy and Colin Baker in the voice cast. These two played 6th and 7th Doctors in Doctor Who, so I do think this can be considered as some big news for BBC. I believe they also have actor who played Astarion on BG3 in the cast as well, which is pretty damn impressive considering this is entirely non-profit project

Laptop1991

They most likely sent only a small slice of what they worked on as a sample to show their work. I feel there is a difference of seeing a doc with a script for a quest than actually playing an entire thing. We also don't know if their audition didn't required writing something specifically for recruitment process. Or even if they were approached or if they did applied by their own. I'm not trying to debunk it or anything, but I've been on their Discord server for a while and devs repeated multiple times they didn't had contact with anyone from Bethesda. Furthermore, no one even replied to them about request to possibly release standalone version on Steam like Enderal and Nehrim. If they would be in contact, they would most likely not talk about it at all
Well we will probably never know, but even the release date of the update was a bit of a coincidence as well, so basically Bethesda are ignoring them is what your saying and acting like its just random, and hiring some of them, yeah sounds like Bethesda lol

Dazraell

Well we will probably never know, but even the release date of the update was a bit of a coincidence as well, so basically Bethesda are ignoring them is what your saying and acting like its just random, and hiring some of them, yeah sounds like Bethesda lol
Just a bad timing. Bethesda was aiming for release close to TV series, and I believe London's release date was set specifically to April 23th because it's a national holiday in UK (St George's Day). The in-game story of this mod apparently also starts on St George's Day

Laptop1991

Just a bad timing. Bethesda was aiming for release close to TV series, and I believe London's release date was set specifically to April 23th because it's a national holiday in UK (St George's Day). The in-game story of this mod apparently also starts on St George's Day
You just said Bethesda didn't reply to requests to release a standalone version and did hire some of the London team so it's a little more than just bad timing, after all the TV show has boosted sales of the Fallout games, the Fallout London mod is free, Bethesda isn't getting any money from the mod

Last edited:

Dazraell

You just said Bethesda didn't reply to requests to release a standalone version and did hire some of the London team so it's a little more than just bad timing, after all the TV show has boosted sales of the Fallout games, the F L mod is free, Bethesda isn't getting any money from the mod
I was more talking about release windows being similar, not the communication. London team decided release it on national holiday in UK when they moved their release from December, Amazon decided to launch their series in early April and Bethesda decided to release their next-gen patch two weeks after Fallout TV series

Lack of communication sucks, but it's not like Bethesda and Amazon has any obligation to help London's team, same as they don't have any obligation to keep up with Bethesda's release schedule (excluding all of the legal stuff tied to the mod making like not profiting from it, not using assets from past games, etc) as most likely they don't even know what they're planning as their knowledge is on the same level as ours. It sucks, but it is what it is

Standalone release probably needs to have green light from both Bethesda and Microsoft, so I guess there is entire corporate bullshit that would need to happen first either way. Enderal and Nehrim happened when company had different people in charge and was an independent company, so that chain of command and people who makes decisions is probably much broader nowadays

Laptop1991

I was more talking about release windows being similar, not the communication. London team decided release it on national holiday in UK when they moved their release from December, Amazon decided to launch their series in early April and Bethesda decided to release their next-gen patch two weeks after Fallout TV series

Lack of communication sucks, but it's not like Bethesda and Amazon has any obligation to help London's team, same as they don't have any obligation to keep up with Bethesda's release schedule (excluding all of the legal stuff tied to the mod making like not profiting from it, not using assets from past games, etc) as most likely they don't even know what they're planning as their knowledge is on the same level as ours. It sucks, but it is what it is

Standalone release probably needs to have green light from both Bethesda and Microsoft, so I guess there is entire corporate bullshit that would need to happen first either way. Enderal and Nehrim happened when company had different people in charge and was an independent company, so that chain of command and people who makes decisions is probably much broader nowadays
Yeah you got it right corporate bullshit, and if your a long time fan of Bethesda from Oblivion onwards or earlier, you know they changed when GTA Online went supernova and they tried to MP all their SP games and have been doing CB ever since, so i already own and play their older SP games and I'll wait for the mod to be released, but I don't believe a word Bethesda says anymore lol.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Well, this depends from a point of view as it's kinda a big deal in terms of production value. This mod has a landscape larger than Fallout 4 and Far Harbor combined, it's basically like what New Vegas was for Fallout 3. And they have Sylvester McCoy and Colin Baker in the voice cast. These two played 6th and 7th Doctors in Doctor Who, so I do think this can be considered as some big news for BBC. I believe they also have actor who played Astarion on BG3 in the cast as well, which is pretty damn impressive considering this is entirely non-profit project
I didn't realise they'd gone as far as getting known actors on there, that's really good.

But to be clear the production value I was commenting on was the BBC's - reporter's sound is terrible, looks like it was filmed on a phone in a cupboard, etc.

A better story is probably "Fallout London, the indie project that is punching above it's weight." Rather than "did Bethesda deliberately meddle with our release?" That's better pr for the game itself and doesn't make them look paranoid.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

i thought they would cover wars and politics and stuff , videogames are more mainstream now i guess.
TBH what is there to cover that will make people less depressed?

- Constantly reporting on war?
- Constantly reporting on high inflation, lower wages, higher cost of living and incredible housing crisis (esp. in the UK where 'rent control' doesn't seem to exist)

I think media can definitely have a more high-level view on things, but I don't trust journalists on doing this right. And the fact is same as interacting with social media, you either get depressed or brain rot from TikTok.

Which is why I don't consume news and social media.

Think About It GIF by Identity

The BBC absolutely sucks these days and yet we are all forced to pay for it. It is annoying because the govt put a Tory in charge to run it down and slashed their funding, but it has worked, so let’s just bin it now.

Last edited:
Bethesda doesn't owe them anything.

And Microsoft doesn't care.

Thus, this stunt by the dev team, directly speaking out to media outlets in desperation, comes across as lame tactics.

Probably the best they could hope for is Bethesda reaching out, after the explosion in popularity of the show, and having them make a real Fallout London.

And why would they?

What are Bethesda supposed to do? email the entire planet just in case somebody is making a mod their update might break?
Yeah, I don’t get it. What do these “devs” want us to do? Feel bad that they weren’t informed?
They chose to waste a decade of there lives making a mod for a game they own absolutely no rights to and knowing that if Bethesda makes changes/updates that it can break there entire mod….and we’re supposed to do what??

Imagine if they just took all this wasted time creating a completely original game and ideas of thier own, imagine that.

Filben

Yeah, I don’t get it. What do these “devs” want us to do? Feel bad that they weren’t informed?
They chose to waste a decade of there lives making a mod for a game they own absolutely no rights to and knowing that if Bethesda makes changes/updates that it can break there entire mod….and we’re supposed to do what??

Imagine if they just took all this wasted time creating a completely original game and ideas of thier own, imagine that.
This is very cynical but also the truth, sadly.

It's great that modders exists and what they're able to achieve with their endless dedication. But betting on a Bethesda horse always comes with caveats.

Top Bottom