• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout4VR arrives on HTC Vive this October.

Syranth

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
You clearly don't know the relationship between Bethesda (or Zenimax the parent company really) and Oculus.

http://www.businessinsider.com/facebook-zenimax-oculus-vr-lawsuit-explained-2017-2

So maybe PSVR if it's downgraded a bit. Never native Oculus. Someone would need to hack Oculus support in. Would be like a reverse Revive. That's funny really.

If the game is using SteamVR/OpenVR, which it almost certainly is, then it'll support the Rift by default, however Bethesda could arbitrarily prevent Rift owners from launching the game (see: Google Earth VR).

jryeje29

Looks good but i feel like there's​ no way even one person could get though the whole game in a reasonable amount of time with the amount of nausea and breaks that are needed.

Kennyfish

Neo Member
Fallout 4 VR includes the complete core game with all-new combat, crafting, and building systems fully reimagined for virtual reality.

I was expecting a $60 price tag with DLC included, but that sounds like it is only the base game.

Durante

Pricing is expected, and I don't mind. I don't even have the base game anyway, but even if I did, we aren't drowning in 50+ hour VR RPGs.

No psvr? Bahhhhh
I never expected Bethesda to get their RPG engine running at a level that supports VR on consoles.

Looks good but i feel like there's​ no way even one person could get though the whole game in a reasonable amount of time with the amount of nausea and breaks that are needed.
It should still support teleport locomotion (at least that was claimed previously) so there shouldn't be any nausea for anyone.

Steel

Banned

Not everyone gets nausea with artificial locomotion. And there should be teleport available with those that do.

You clearly don't know the relationship between Bethesda (or Zenimax the parent company really) and Oculus.

http://www.businessinsider.com/facebook-zenimax-oculus-vr-lawsuit-explained-2017-2

So maybe PSVR if it's downgraded a bit. Never native Oculus. Someone would need to hack Oculus support in. Would be like a reverse Revive. That's funny really.

I'm aware of the squabble.

Vulkar59

There must have been changes to the underlying engine for the VR variant of Fallout 4. Graphical settings notwithstanding, the great degree of fps fluctuations in the standard version of the game would preclude its unmodifiedengine use in the VR variant. If this is all true, can we expect these improvements to trickle down to the regular version of Fallout 4?

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit

haha nope i can play vr games the same amount of time I play everything else 6-8 hour sessions are nothing

alexbull_uk

I'm looking forward to it. Hopefully there will be a discount to owners of the full game, but regardless it'll be fun to jump in.

Durante

Does this mean it'll support 90FPS now? Because this certainly isn't going to be pleasant at 60.
Of course it will.

It will also be the only time in recent history when the "$1000+ PC" quote will probably have some merit -- at least if you want to run it at consistent FPS and non-shit IQ.

Vash63

It looked kind of half arsed, they didn't even have hands they just displayed the vive wands.

As a Vive owner I have no problem with this - it's quite natural to see just the object you're holding. Your body has a type of presence of itself even if you don't see it, like you can reach for your knee or shoulder without looking for it. A lot of games work best if they just give you a view of the objects that you're holding so you can feel more like you're manipulating them with your real hands rather than a fake abstraction that doesn't actually move properly with your fingers.

Paganmoon

Does this mean it'll support 90FPS now? Because this certainly isn't going to be pleasant at 60.

This is pretty important because uh...... The game's logic is tied to frame rate https://youtu.be/r4EHjFkVw-s
https://youtu.be/33VRCGh2uQM

I ran Fallout 4 at over 100FPS already, mind you it could do some crazy dips every now and then. So the question is have they optimized it enough to not drop frames.

And the engine's physic being tied to FPS while true isn't quite the whole story. The game adapts physics on the fly per default, but some of the ini-tweaks people used to unlock framerates also broke the function that adapts the physics to fit the framerate. I don't recall exactly which tweak it was, but I distinctly remember being able to play at higher frame rates without physics-glitches, and the getting stuck at terminals bug was also fixed eventually (all those problems were also if you hit over 100FPS, not 90 iirc).

SomTervo

It looked kind of half arsed, they didn't even have hands they just displayed the vive wands.

What are you talking about

Whenever we see the wands it's because something is being grabbed/manipulated

And at the very start of the video, still in the vault, you see that the left hand is the Pipboy

GeoGonzo

I wonder if Ms simply wants to arrive early to 2nd gen VR instead or really late for 1st gen.

Anyway, I'm all in on FO4 VR. Hopefully Oculus support will be easily unlocked, like with Google Earth VR.

I wonder if Ms simply wants to arrive early to 2nd gen VR instead or really late for 1st gen.

Anyway, I'm all in on FO4 VR. Hopefully Oculus support will be easily unlocked, like with Google Earth VR.

The announced Windows10 headsets are not really screaming VR2.0 to me, they are even worse than VR1.0 in some technical aspects. I imagine that all Microsoft will do is make these HMDs compatible with XboxX and that's that (could be wrong about that of course)

Acheteedo

I always knew that getting this to run on PSVR would have been unlikely, even on the Pro, but I'm gutted to see it isn't coming, I wanted this so badly...

Plasma

Banned
What are you talking about

Whenever we see the wands it's because something is being grabbed/manipulated

And at the very start of the video, still in the vault, you see that the left hand is the Pipboy

I mean that they don't render the players hands for holding weapons or grabbing things in the environment. It's something that I've always found while playing VR games like Arizona Sunshine, Pavlov, Robo Recall, Batman Arkham VR etc. really helps to add to the immersion.

For those that were asking about locomotion I know the trailer only showed free locomotion but in an interview Todd Howard gave earlier in the year he talks about there being teleporting in there as well. Also when they first showed it off last year some of the impressions from people who got to play it said it was using teleporting, so unless they've since removed it completely from the game I would imagine that it is in there as an option.

$60 is annoying but fuck i am 100% buying this. Fallout in VR will be amazing. I hope they can work out some jank. 1080ti should be able to maintain 90fps

jwc13ac

So I never got Fallout 4, and only half got into the previous ones.

When it came out, it was criticized for being a little dull (?). Now that the dust has settled, what's the general consuses? Worth a play through for a casual fan?

Really interested to see how this looks on my setup (1070, 6600k). Think I'll be ok?

Nzyme32

Works out perfectly for me, as I didn't buy the original game knowing I'd get the VR version - I played this game well it seem.

So I never got Fallout 4, and only half got into the previous ones.

When it came out, it was criticized for being a little dull (?). Now that the dust has settled, what's the general consuses? Worth a play through for a casual fan?

Really interested to see how this looks on my setup (1070, 6600k). Think I'll be ok?

Well I really like it. At first I was a bit taken back since it was kinda different compared to vegas for example when it came to how you craft your character. But I got used to it.

Been holding off on vr but if this is the real deal impression wise upon release, I may invest in an vive basically just for this game.

Yohane

Still meh.

F4 is less RPG and more Farcry wanna be than ever.

Also the settlement building part is dreadful.

But I'm a huge Fallout & Fallot 2 fan so there's that

dsk1210

I think it would have taken a lot of work to get the whole game playable in VR, still a bit steep though but I will be there.

Seiru

Banned
Hope the controls don't feel weird with Touch controllers instead of Vive wands (like how Google Earth felt super weird mapping the touch pads of the wands to the sticks of the Touch controllers). I wonder if that's something you could mod.

Top Bottom