• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Family of Robert Durst’s First Wife Sues Him for $100 Million in Her Disappearance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalek

Family of Robert Durst’s First Wife Sues Him for $100 Million in Her Disappearance

01durst-sub-master675.jpg

Kathleen McCormack Durst disappeared from her home in Westchester County nearly 34 years ago, on a cold January night, only months before she would have graduated from medical school. It was the beginning of an enduring mystery.

On Monday, Ms. Durst’s mother, Ann McCormack, who is 101, and three sisters — Carol Bamonte, Mary Hughes and Virginia McKeon — filed a $100 million lawsuit against the man they have long suspected of killing her: Robert A. Durst, her husband. The lawsuit contends that Mr. Durst violated the McCormack family’s right to sepulcher, a rarely used New York law granting family members the immediate right to possession of a body for burial.

“The family’s priority has been and continues to be to provide Kathleen with a proper and dignified burial,” Robert Abrams, a lawyer for the McCormack family, said.

The lawsuit contends that Mr. Durst “murdered Kathleen,” 29, his first wife. If successful, the lawsuit would strip Mr. Durst of much of his wealth; authorities put his net worth at about $100 million.

The lawsuit, filed in State Supreme Court in Mineola, N.Y., is only the latest development in Mr. Durst’s legal troubles since he agreed to cooperate with the producers of a six-part documentary, “The Jinx: The Life and Deaths of Robert Durst,” that was broadcast on HBO in February and March.

For a long time after Ms. Durst disappeared, Mr. Durst led a carefree, peripatetic life that took him from New York to Los Angeles to Houston and back again, fueled by a constant flow of cash from his estranged family’s real estate empire in New York City.

Mr. Durst, 72, has been in prison in New Orleans since March on a gun charge.
He is expected to be sentenced on Dec. 17 to more than five years in prison after acknowledging his guilt in that case, according to people briefed on the negotiations but not authorized to discuss them.

Mr. Durst’s lawyer, Dick DeGuerin, declined to discuss the pending plea bargain. “We’re not going to comment on it until the day it happens,” he said.

The documentary, which explored his connection to the deaths of Ms. Berman, the decapitation of a boardinghouse neighbor in Texas, and the disappearance of his wife, concluded with Mr. Durst’s own whispered words: “What the hell did I do? Killed them all, of course.”

Less than 24 hours before the broadcast of the final episode, Mr. Durst was arrested in New Orleans on a first-degree-murder warrant from Los Angeles. Investigators discovered that Mr. Durst had a fake identification card, a latex mask, thousands of dollars in cash and a handgun in the pocket of a coat hanging in his hotel room.

Contrary to Mr. Durst’s calculation, the Los Angeles district attorney’s office had reopened the investigation into the murder of Ms. Berman, helped in part by information from the producers of “The Jinx.”

Investigators in Los Angeles had been tracking Mr. Durst’s movements and, fearing he was about to flee the country, obtained a murder warrant on March 11. Detectives found Mr. Durst three days later in New Orleans, where he had registered at a hotel under an assumed name.

After Ms. Durst’s disappearance, investigators initially made little headway. In “The Jinx,” Mr. Durst conceded that he had not told the truth about his whereabouts on the night his wife disappeared, but professed no knowledge of what happened. He obtained a divorce in 1990.

Mr. Durst sought his first wife’s $123,670 estate, but a Surrogate’s Court judge ruled in November 2001 that a portion would go to Ms. Durst’s mother and Mr. Durst’s share would be placed in escrow until the authorities determined whether he was culpable in Ms. Durst’s death. In 2013, Mr. Durst was again unsuccessful in obtaining a share of the estate.

If you have not seen HBO's The Jinx, run-do not walk-to your nearest HBO-enabled device and watch it. It's the most fascinating documentary I've ever seen.

Even after watching both the movie based on him with Ryan Gosling and The Jinx, I continually confuse Robert Durst for Fred Durst. This is like the 5th or 6th time I've thought "The guy from Limp Bizkit turned out to be a serial killer?!"

Doodis

Even after watching both the movie based on him with Ryan Gosling and The Jinx, I continually confuse Robert Durst for Fred Durst. This is like the 5th or 6th time I've thought "The guy from Limp Bizkit turned out to be a serial killer?!"
I had the exact same thought! And I've even seen The Jinx.

rush777

I read that they went back to court following the Jinx reveal. But it says he's only in prison for a gun charge? Was the case not reopened after what he said in the documentary? Truly one of the most amazing documentaries I've ever seen.

Dalek

I read that they went back to court following the Jinx reveal. But it says he's only in prison for a gun charge? Was the case not reopened after what he said in the documentary? Truly one of the most amazing documentaries I've ever seen.

I believe that they got him in prison for the gun charge-but the investigation into the murder in LA was reopened after the documentary was aired. So he's "caught" and not able to be on the run any more-but the murder charge might stick this time if they try him on that LA murder.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks OP, will watch the documentary.

I know very little about this all, did watch the movie All Good Things. I liked it, just needed a better ending but the superb acting was what made it good imo. He was really creepy and it kinda freaked me out, which doesn't happen often.

Dalek

Thanks OP, will watch the documentary.

I know very little about this all, did watch the movie All Good Things. I liked it, just needed a better ending but the superb acting was what made it good imo. He was really creepy and it kinda freaked me out, which doesn't happen often.

the crazy thing is-the Jinx would never have existed without All Good Things. Robert Durst SAW that movie, and reached out to the director because he enjoyed the movie and wanted to be filmed for an interview afterwards. Like with so many criminals, his ego was his downfall. He wanted to basically "get away with it" to the nth degree and it all backfired. In the Jinx, they basically show you that he got away with murder and was in hiding-he got away scot free. Yet, he basically got himself arrested for stealing a sandwich from a grocery store-even though he had millions of dollars. It wasn't that he needed the sandwich-he wanted to get away with a crime again.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
the crazy thing is-the Jinx would never have existed without All Good Things. Robert Durst SAW that movie, and reached out to the director because he enjoyed the movie and wanted to be filmed for an interview afterwards.

Whut, did he get the interview? Dude is crazy, I'll watch the Jinx and then the movie afterwards (again). This whole story is just so creepy.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
The Jinx is the interview.

Owh, thought the Jinx was just a documentary with interviews with people around him and whatnot but not actually him. Will check it out.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
The Jinx is crazy. He's definitely responsible for at least three murders.

His brother gave an interview about him once. this is some seriously dark shit.

http://www.cinemablend.com/televisi...sane-Thing-Bob-Durst-Allegedly-Did-70758.html

Before the disappearance of my sister-in-law, Bob had a series of Alaskan Malamutes, which is like a husky. He had seven of them, and they all died, mysteriously, of different things, within six months of owning them. All of them named Igor. We don’t know how they died, and what happened to the bodies. In retrospect, I now believe he was practicing killing and disposing his wife with those dogs.

When [Robert] was in jail in Pennsylvania, he was recorded saying, ‘I want to Igor Douglas.’

Tobor

Owh, thought the Jinx was just a documentary with interviews with people around him and whatnot but not actually him. Will check it out.

It's both. The interview with Durst is the main event, of course.

Definitely watch it! It's fantastic.

rush777

I believe that they got him in prison for the gun charge-but the investigation into the murder in LA was reopened after the documentary was aired. So he's "caught" and not able to be on the run any more-but the murder charge might stick this time if they try him on that LA murder.

That makes sense, I'm glad they reopened it but let's be honest... This dude finds a way out every. Single. Time. Still can't believe the Morris black trial. Fucking crazy.

the crazy thing is-the Jinx would never have existed without All Good Things. Robert Durst SAW that movie, and reached out to the director because he enjoyed the movie and wanted to be filmed for an interview afterwards. Like with so many criminals, his ego was his downfall. He wanted to basically "get away with it" to the nth degree and it all backfired. In the Jinx, they basically show you that he got away with murder and was in hiding-he got away scot free. Yet, he basically got himself arrested for stealing a sandwich from a grocery store-even though he had millions of dollars. It wasn't that he needed the sandwich-he wanted to get away with a crime again.

Or maybe he wanted to get caught? Who the hell knows, the guy is a major nut case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom