• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT: Trump Camp Refuses to Close Door on Campaign Pledge to ‘Lock Her Up’

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fox Mulder

You'd hope sanity wins after theyre in charge. Her career is already ruined, forcing Obama to issue a blanket pardon would taint her forever.

People wanted W, Rumsfeld, and Cheney charged for war crimes and bankers prosecuted.

Jailing political rivals? That's what you see in Turkey and Russia. Funny that the Trump is aligning himself with Erdogan and Putin too.

Mr_Moogle

Can they though? Much as Australia copped ridicule for it, it occurred to me today that we should be thankful both our own major parties removed two heads of state, each for displaying just a subset of Trump's characteristics:

Rudd = narcissist
Abbott = general fuckwit

Can a US President be removed if they refuse to go, without the (suicidal for their party) impeachment process?

It's true. As much as I hate the Liberal party, at least they have some sense of dignity. I don't have to worry that the leader of my country is a total moron.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
She is out of the picture now and it doesn't seem like it matters to him anymore. I can't see this actually happening.

Codeblue

There'd be nothing that could keep me in this country if he manages to jail her.

At that point, any of his insane campaign promises become way too real.

Nibiru

Banned
The FBI ended the email investigation but they are still investigating the Clinton Foundation. Not sure it is up to him to "close the door."

Is there a legal precedent for pardoning someone for crimes they haven't been convicted for?
Yes. President Nixon was pardoned by President Ford. Ford wasn't a dumbass and knew it was better for the country to move on vs seeing a President on trial and jailed.

Nixon wasn't yet even on trial for anything.

Loxley

So, Trump, man who will be entering the White House with lower approval ratings than any President-elect in history, will somehow "unite the country" by trying to prosecute the democratic woman who beat him in the popular vote by millions?

hJUgqDp.gif

Trouble

Banned
I actually want it to happen because it's the simplest, easiest way for trump to shoot himself in foot from the get go.

There is no possible outcome that actually benefits Trump. They aren't going to say no because his most rabid fan base will start to turn on him. They probably want this to quietly exit the public consciousness, so they'll never publicly rule it out.

FStubbs

I doubt it would help him maintain power. Doing something like this would cause the US to be divided like never before. Even other Republicans many review their support of him. If he went after Clinton what about them? Democrats will probably go to war. The whole situation will not end well.

Democrats have almost literally no power to go to war with.

I guess it will be up to Hillary if Obama chooses to pardon her?

If Trump begins processes to jail political opponents, I think it sets a very dark tone for the future of the country. Worse than building a wall.

Eidan

Seriously, I hope he's pressed on this. People are already hot about this election. Him trying to imprison his opponent would only help fuel the flames.

RPGCrazied

Seriously, I hope he's pressed on this. People are already hot about this election. Him trying to imprison his opponent would only help fuel the flames.

Well, he is doing a fine job trying to calm the protestors happening all over?

He isn't that bright.

Prax

She'll become a martyr if he pursues this.
Maybe she knew this would happen if he won and was prepared for the ultimate sacrifice.

DNAbro

Yes. President Nixon was pardoned by President Ford. Ford wasn't a dumbass and knew it was better for the country to move on vs seeing a President on trial and jailed.

Nixon wasn't yet even on trial for anything.

Okay I feel dumb for not remembering that.

Since Clinton was already investigated and they found nothing, I'm pretty sure Obama doesn't need to do anything. That would imply that she was actually guilty.

Kin5290

The FBI ended the email investigation but they are still investigating the Clinton Foundation. Not sure it is up to him to "close the door."
Pretty sure "investigating the Clinton Foundation" was a lie, told by a Fox News reporter quoting an anonymous source. That reporter later came out and said that he was bullshitting.

Zushin

Just a question, say if Obama did give her a pardon - how do the rules work if say, Trump decided to 'un-pardon' her? Is that a thing or is it set in concrete once it's done?

Doesn't Trump have any of his own problems to worry about, such as facing trial for shit like fraud, etc. next month?

Kinda, yeah

The only reservation I have is whether or not the spineless Republicans in the House and Senate would have the gall to impeach him.

They would be stupid not to. Otherwise, it'll affect their future chances.

Okay I feel dumb for not remembering that.

Since Clinton was already investigated and they found nothing, I'm pretty sure Obama doesn't need to do anything. That would imply that she was actually guilty.

Exactly. It's one of those things here, though, that if Trump is actually serious, Obama may need to let her hang out to dry. If Obama pardons, it implies her guilt and it would be something that Trumpers/GOP could tie to Democrats in the next few cycles. Put the ball in Trump's court and let him deal with the fallout of trying to imprison a political opponent that garnered more national votes.

I can't believe we even have to discuss trash like this. My god.

Davide

I hate Trump winning as much as anyone and I'm terrified but: in this case, look at his words and not the headline here. He "hasn't given it a lot of thought". Probably hasn't given it any thought. I'm 95% sure he's not going to do it. He just can't officially do a complete 360* because of his promise. Even deranged Giuliani doesn't actually seem nterested in locking her up now.

Nothing here indicates that Trump is still thinking about it. He still had good words about her in the interview. Let's just have a little less hyperbole.

jett

D-Member
But Trump said everyone owed a her a major debt of gratitude for her years in public service.

What happened to that.

Obama can just retroactively give immunity. Bush did it with everyone involved in the cervailance programs from people in the administration to the telecoms. Do you remember that? Of course you don't. Bams got this.

MIMIC

Banned
Let her go to jail. We have to completely douse any chances of her running in 2020.

Just kidding. Honestly, I don't think they'll revive the lock her up stuff. Trump won so what's the point? Seemed like people were angry that she was running more than anything. I dunno.

Faddy

Banned

Some of the Clinton Foundation stuff is highly questionable and other things look like a straight cash for influence deal.

Hillary or any politician should not be above the law

Zaph

Of all his stupid and offensive campaign promises, this is the one you can guarantee he won't even attempt.

If he opens the door to prosecutions, he knows in 4 or 8 years time they're coming for him. Nobody in the GOP wants to start this vicious cycle.

Yeah, this will be one of the first tests of just how bad Trump will end up being. If his advisors win out, I'm sure they'll tell him, "Don't even bother. She's completely dead politically, and we'd gain nothing by taking any action against her. Make a few overtures, maybe another pointless investigation, but let it go."

And if he ends up locking her up anyway... well, as some have said, he's telling us he's going to be just as bad as he seemed to be during the campaign. And while that's pretty frightening on the one hand... on the other, at least a lot of people won't have any illusions anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom