• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT: Trump Camp Refuses to Close Door on Campaign Pledge to ‘Lock Her Up’

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryan13ts

You know, I've heard nothing but talk regarding her e-mails, but what exactly is it that she's supposedly suppose tp have done with them thats illegal and started all this shit?

Whenever news outlets or articles I've discuss it, it's always regarding what will happen because of it, not why it's an issue.

Nibiru

Banned
Some of the Clinton Foundation stuff is highly questionable and other things look like a straight cash for influence deal.

Hillary or any politician should not be above the law

There certainly looks like pay to play was happening but the stuff we have seen is what could be called circumstantial but who knows what the feds have. What we do know is that FBI agents wanted to look deeper but the DOJ denied them. Hard to say if a Trump administration would allow the feds to "look further." I actually think he doesn't go after her.

Vena

If he does actually pursue her, he'll not only torpedo his presidency, he'll torpedo the entire nation into an at first-passive civil war. The civil rights violations and emboldening of racists and xenophobes is already grounds for the nation to take to the streets (and they have), but if he actually tries to jail the popular candidate of the populace, people will be after his and his party's heads in the millions.

If he does actually pursue her, he'll not only torpedo his presidency, he'll torpedo the entire nation into an at first-passive civil war. The civil rights violations and emboldening of racists and xenophobes is already grounds for the nation to take to the streets (and they have), but if he actually tries to jail the popular candidate of the populace, people will be after his and his party's heads in the millions.

Agreed. If Trump & the Republicans are smart, they'll drop it & let it go. And Obama would also be wise to not interfere & do anything but to let Trump & the Republicans have a big, nasty reputation among themselves & let them burn to the ground.

Future

He said he'd do it, and I can definitely see him get an investigator on it. When the investigation yields nothing he can passively back out of it without losing face

I imagine... with Trump surrogate Chris Christie being one of the biggest "lock her up" proponents while himself potentially going to jail for actually doing something criminal that will probably require a pardon from Trump... that this drastically reduces the chances they seriously pursue her. My guess is they'll do some kind of long-winded "investigation" to placate his more rabid constituency, but no actual intent of an outcome.

No one in a position of consequence sincerely believes she's guilty - they just needed the perception she was; and they got what they requested. The return on investment just wouldn't be there to keep pressing it now.

Ekai

I don't like HC, but what law did she break? It's stupid.

None. The Republicans want her to be a metaphorical sacrifice. They want to tell minorities, women, the left-wing, etc. etc. that this is what will happen to them if they resist. We live in a kill or be killed country now. On the cusp of outright dictatorship in my eyes. This is the talk of a dictator in the making. Along with his scape-goating, the voter intimidation, voter suppression, etc. etc. the parallels to certain other European dictatorships are insanely disturbing. And anyone with decency in their hearts is backed into a corner.

The whole locking up political enemies gets a bit extra terrifying with Clinton winning the popular vote.

Mmmmmmhmmmmmm.

If the Trump administration has any fucking sense they'll drop this whole "lock her up" bullshit. This whole refusal to do so is just posturing to pander to their base.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I have to agree. Just like the stupid wall, "Lock Her Up!" was a campaign device. Worked beautifully with the authoritarian-worshipping audience the GOP and Trump pander to. They do have to keep the theater up a little longer until they get in and have drunk their fill of the coffers.

Though I wouldn't be surprised if this turns into a smaller version of benghazi-benghazi-benghazi for a while. It's a good gimmick to make it seem as if Trump is every bit as hardcore as he acted on the stump. Still trying to capture that slippery, nasty Hillary!

Ekai

I have to agree. Just like the stupid wall, "Lock Her Up!" was a campaign device. Worked beautifully with the authoritarian-worshipping audience the GOP and Drumpf pander to. They do have to keep the theater up a little longer until they get in and have drunk their fill of the coffers.

Though I wouldn't be surprised if this turns into a smaller version of benghazi-benghazi-benghazi for a while. It's a good gimmick to make it seem as if Drumpf is every bit as hardcore as he acted on the stump. Still trying to capture that slippery, nasty Hillary!

I don't doubt for a single second they won't try to follow-through on it. The right-wing in America is insanely extremist, has Nazi-sympathizing allies (not to mention they are loved by dictators the world over), literally worked to suppress the people's vote/supported intimidation (despite their efforts, they will lose the popular vote by millions. they won because of the fucked up EC only) , etc. etc.

As far as I care, we are already in a dictatorship right now. I assume the worst for my own protection. And I'm not going to sit idly by and believe they won't pursue the worst. Complacency is what they want and it's beliefs that dictators won't do the worst that contributed to the people doing nothing in decades past til it was too late. The Republican party is a threat to democracy and to the American people. Point fucking blank. They cultivated this base for decades. They know what they're doing and they're happy to do it.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Why would she need to be pardoned from anything, the FBI straight investigated her twice and found nothing both times.

Clinton Foundation is still under investigation, so who knows what will turn up. I can see it now though, that if any legitimate corruption is revealed it will get swept under the political opposition rug.

Gluka

Clinton Foundation is still under investigation, so who knows what will turn up. I can see it now though, that if any legitimate corruption is revealed it will get swept under the political opposition rug.

Is there actual proof that Clinton Foundation is under investigation or are people falling for right wing talking points?

jtb

Banned

and how will the Trump foundation be handled by our nation's courts?

Hazmat

If the Trump administration has any fucking sense they'll drop this whole "lock her up" bullshit. This whole refusal to do so is just posturing to pander to their base.

I agree. This is something he can continue to tease to keep his base erect as he stumbles through the transition. Keep the charade up in hopes Obama does something as unbelievably stupid as pardoning her, and then let it fade.

Steel

Banned
Nobody should suggest Obama pardon her. If Trump actually pushes the DOJ to go to court with Hillary, she will win, bottomline, and it will blow up in Trump's face.

I don't doubt for a single second they won't try to follow-through on it. The right-wing in America is insanely extremist, has Nazi-sympathizing allies (not to mention they are loved by dictators the world over), literally worked to suppress the people's vote/supported intimidation (despite their efforts, they will lose the popular vote by millions. they won because of the fucked up EC only) , etc. etc.

As far as I care, we are already in a dictatorship right now. I assume the worst for my own protection. And I'm not going to sit idly by and believe they won't pursue the worst. Complacency is what they want and it's beliefs that dictators won't do the worst that contributed to the people doing nothing in decades past til it was too late. The Republican party is a threat to democracy and to the American people. Point fucking blank. They cultivated this base for decades. They know what they're doing and they're happy to do it.

And that is why I'm a Democrat & will always stay a Democrat. The Republicans don't care about anyone but the rich.

Obama better not pardon her. Even though I'm sure if the Clinton's start making political statements against Trump he'll know he has this hanging over their head. We need to see this through.

FStubbs

His supporters are WAAAAAAAAY better armed and now he's also got the military. Don't start what you can't finish.

FStubbs

Nobody should suggest Obama pardon her. If Trump actually pushes the DOJ to go to court with Hillary, she will win, bottomline, and it will blow up in Trump's face.

Depends on if the case goes before a Republican or Trump nominated judge.

Obama won't pardon her. And Trump won't have the evidence to lock her up.

He might not need evidence if he's going down the fascism road.

Depends on if the case goes before a Republican or Trump nominated judge.

He might not need evidence if he's going down the fascism road.

Trump lost the popular vote. His mandate to lead only goes so far. Locking Hillary up on anything but solid evidence is going to cause trouble for him.

FStubbs

Didn't the civil war teach you that numbers Trump combat skill. Also there really aren't as many Trump supporters as it seems.

Different era different time. It's the Trump supporters who complain when they're held to 5 guns a month. I'm pretty sure if God forbid we had another civil war, the conversatives would kill off the liberals in days. Heck, you have police departments that would love to do ethnic cleansing in our cities right now.

Kettch

Trump lost the popular vote. His mandate to lead only goes so far. Locking Hillary up on anything but solid evidence is going to cause trouble for him.

Eh, lots of things Trump has done has caused problems for him. That's not much of a roadblock.

He's already shown to have no problem using his fame and power to assault women. Now he's going to become the most powerful person in the country. Can't really say anything is off the table.

FStubbs

Republicans consider any win a sweeping mandate.

They now have almost enough state legislatures to pass whatever constitutional amendment they want, the House, the Senate, the Presidency, and the Supreme Court.

Republicans went to war with Iraq with faked evidence. If Trump wants to lock up Hillary, he'll do it, evidence or no evidence. The FBI (Trumpland) will help him do it.

Debirudog

Republicans consider any win a sweeping mandate.

They now have almost enough state legislatures to pass whatever constitutional amendment they want, the House, the Senate, the Presidency, and the Supreme Court.

Republicans went to war with Iraq with faked evidence. If Trump wants to lock up Hillary, he'll do it, evidence or no evidence. The FBI (Trumpland) will help him do it.

He can't actually lock her up without any evidence. It didn't happen in the benghazi and email probing. If she does get locked up, prepare for a civil war.

prag16

Banned
Nah. Hillary's political career is dead at this point. They won't waste time (or political capital) with this. Of course they're not "closing the door on it" immediately; to say right away "nah just kidding, only said that to get votes" wouldn't make sense. They'll likely just quietly let the idea die, and if asked about it after getting into office, they'll offer some kind of "looking forward not backward" boiler plate statement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom