• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu 05th Aug

Jonnyram

Famitsu basically lost all credibility this gen.
They gained all this respect in the 80s and 90s with their harsh scoring system (which had gradually started to dwindle in some respects), but with the Japanese industry suffering badly this gen, they sold out.

With the amount of money changing hands for MH3 coverage recently, a perfect score was clearly on the cards. Not to mention it's Wii's big third party hope.

I just hope that when the dust settles, Famitsu will try to gain back some of that respect they once had. Maybe it's just a case of tough measures for tough times.

xfactor

Banned
the thoroughbred said:
What are the chances of the 428 game being localised? At least it will be on 3 platforms.

probably never...
- Machi (the supposingly prequel) is a Japanese exclusive
- The game setting is in Shibuya, so I imagine it have lots of Japanese cultural references and stuffs which the Westerners have no idea about
- Its a visual novel, which means it contain much more dialogues and texts than any other games. lots of time and money will be involved

Summary: Its a game solely targeted for the Japanese audience. No publisher is brave (and foolish) enough to localise it

Jonnyram said:
They gained all this respect in the 80s and 90s with their harsh scoring system (which had gradually started to dwindle in some respects), but with the Japanese industry suffering badly this gen, they sold out.

With the amount of money changing hands for MH3 coverage recently, a perfect score was clearly on the cards. Not to mention it's Wii's big third party hope.

I just hope that when the dust settles, Famitsu will try to gain back some of that respect they once had. Maybe it's just a case of tough measures for tough times.
I dunno, SSBB is a damn good game. Maybe MH3 is that good a game.

rpmurphy

Jonnyram said:

I dunno, it's gonna be a painful experience for them if they want to try to change back to stricter scores. Yeah they lost credibility, but they're gonna endure a lot of hate from publishers and readers if they change now.

Tenbatsu

the thoroughbred said:
I dunno, SSBB is a damn good game. Maybe MH3 is that good a game.
It is a very good game, definitely wayyyyy better than MH2 Dos. But its hard for people to believe me as I am a MH fanboy lol.

The recent 40/40 games which i doubt are 428 and maybe Smash.

Gomu Gomu

zoneofenders2 said:
MH3 40? :lol :lol :lol

let's say there exists the PS3 version of MH3, which is 100% identical to the WII version.
what score do you think it will get? 25? 20?:lol :lol :lol
zoneofenders2 said:
even with FAMITSU's bullsh!tting skill a 40 for this graphic can't be justified on PS3 :lol

wat?

icecream

Public Health Threat
xfactor said:
Machi (the supposingly prequel) is a Japanese exclusive
Actually, 428 is only a 'spiritual' successor to Machi. You don't need to play it to be able to follow 428.

xfactor said:
The game setting is in Shibuya, so I imagine it have lots of Japanese cultural references and stuffs which the Westerners have no idea about
Actually it's a lot more about terrorists/secret weapons/conspiracies and stuff like that.

xfactor said:
Its a visual novel, which means it contain much more dialogues and texts than any other games. lots of time and money will be involved.
Actually, it's a sound novel.

Summary: It's a very text intensive game with an intriguing story, but no publisher would be brave (foolish) enough to localize it simply because the concept of a literary adventure game does not sell in the US/EU. To put in the work to translate a script that is magnitudes longer than most JRPGs is simply off-putting in that light.

Tenbatsu

icecream said:
Summary: It's a very text intensive game with an intriguing story, but no publisher would be brave (foolish) enough to localize it simply because the concept of a literary adventure game does not sell in the US/EU. To put in the work to translate a script that is magnitudes longer than most JRPGs is simply off-putting in that light.
Deserve a 40/40?

wrowa

xfactor said:
New Title/Info:
Okami
:D
- Wii (the wii port released in English a while ago)
2v2xf06.jpg

icecream

Public Health Threat
Tenbatsu said:
Deserve a 40/40?
It's good (from what I've completed), but not amazing-will-wow-everyone-who-buys-it good.

Though my faith in Famitsu's 40/40 this generation has already been destroyed, so I'm not surprised anymore.

Tenbatsu

icecream said:
It's good (from what I've completed), but not amazing-will-wow-everyone-who-buys-it good.

My faith in Famitsu's 40/40 this generation has already been destroyed, so I'm not surprised anymore.
Thanks for the answer! Just wanted to find out from someone who completed the game.

wrowa

icecream said:
It's good, but not amazing-will-wow-everyone-who-buys-it good.

My faith in Famitsu's 40/40 this generation has already been destroyed, so I'm not surprised anymore.
Well, if there's one 40/40 this generation that isn't money hatted it's definitely 428. There's no way in hell Sega paid for a perfect score for a game they clearly didn't even expected to break the 100k mark. Otherwise the perfect score has to be very cheap and if that would be the case there would've been many more 40s.

test_account

XP-39C²
Ah, nice that Monster Hunter 3 got a score of 40 out of 40 :) Congratulations to Capcom! =)

Also nice that Dragon Quest 9 got a score out of 40 out of 40 :) Congratulations to Square Enix! =) (i know that i am very late to say this, but i never got around to say it in the Famitsu thread when Dragon Quest 9 got reviewed, sorry :\)

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
wrowa said:
Well, if there's one 40/40 this generation that isn't money hatted it's definitely 428. There's no way in hell Sega paid for a perfect score for a game they clearly didn't even expected to break the 100k mark. Otherwise the perfect score has to be very cheap and if that would be the case there would've been many more 40s.

Famitsu = Chunsoft Fanboys

icecream

Public Health Threat
wrowa said:
Well, if there's one 40/40 this generation that isn't money hatted it's definitely 428. There's no way in hell Sega paid for a perfect score for a game they clearly didn't even expected to break the 100k mark.
You don't know how much Famitsu loves Chunsoft, do you? :lol

And I'm sure Sega expected a lot more out of 428. They probably switched to the Wii for that very reason since Imabikisou bombed on the PS3.

GhaleonQ

icecream said:
You don't know how much Famitsu loves Chunsoft, do you? :lol

Indeed. Would you describe more as blatant fanboyism, though, or do they think Chunsoft's a prestige developer making our industry's masterworks?

farnham

Banned
GhaleonQ said:
Indeed. Would you describe more as blatant fanboyism, though, or do they think Chunsoft's a prestige developer making our industry's masterworks?
well chunsoft made DQV

KTallguy

Banned
icecream said:
And I'm sure Sega expected a lot more out of 428. They probably switched to the Wii for that very reason since Imabikisou bombed on the PS3.

Did it do that poorly... I was interested in it but the demo scared the shit out of me so I figured I'd pass.

Magypsy23 said:
I'm getting a PS3 to play the HD port.

I am considering purchasing it too.

xfactor

Banned
scans of Saga 2 and Magna Carta 2 interview is up

Saga 2 mentioned a new mystery male character. I didn't played the original, so I've no idea if he's in the original too?

from Famitsu:
河田「オンラインというハードルは高い」
    「細々とした部分でいいたいことはある」
ウワーマン「モンスターの種類が少ない気がしないでもない」
モリガン「武器やモンスターの種類が物足りない」
online is too hard
detail of this game not good enough
too few monsters
not enough weapons and monsters etc...

i have no idea how MH3 gets 40/40 from these text ... anyway, good job Famitsu:lol

Stunt

Banned
zoneofenders2 said:
from Famitsu:
河田「オンラインというハードルは高い」
    「細々とした部分でいいたいことはある」
モリガン「武器やモンスターの種類が物足りない」
online is too hard
too few monsters

i have no idea how MH3 gets 40/40 from these text ... anyway, good job Famitsu:lol

Is that REALLY what it says? If yes, WTF? That just made me sad.

This is why the game should of just stayed on PlayStation 3. When I play Monster Hunter, I like enjoying the beauty of the world and the beauty of the monsters themselves, since each of them are unique in their own way. That's why the game should've stayed on the HD console, so they could accomplish that beauty.

yankee666

Nicely done capcom!!! I never tought that MH3 could hit a 40 score, i mean is a good game and its been evolving trought the years and version, but im surpised how good this game turne to be (based on score and impressions from users, im still waiting my copy). Tenbatsu can correct me if im wrong.
I know Famitsu is giving 40 more usual than before, but moneyhat or not, that doesnt stop this game or any "perfect score" game from being a "very good" game. That just the opinion from 4 guys, if you dont like it or disagree with them you have 2 choices, dont read any more famitsu reviews or if you like the game try to read review from diferent user, im sure youll find the one that goes along with you.
Cheers

Loudninja

Stunt said:

This is why the game should of just stayed on PlayStation 3. When I play Monster Hunter, I like enjoying the beauty of the world and the beauty of the monsters themselves, since each of them are unique in their own way. That's why the game should've stayed on the HD console, so they could accomplish that beauty.

Ah it still looks great on the Wii.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
zoneofenders2 said:
from Famitsu:
河田「オンラインというハードルは高い」
    「細々とした部分でいいたいことはある」
モリガン「武器やモンスターの種類が物足りない」
online is too hard
too few monsters

You would make an awful translator.

Stunt said:

:lol New juniors on this site are awesome.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
test_account said:
What does the Famitsu Monster Hunter 3 review text say?

I don't have it in front of me right now, unfortunately. You'll see a real translation from the real text at some point. 1up usually has a good review roundup.

zoneofenders2 said:
from Famitsu:
河田「オンラインというハードルは高い」
    「細々とした部分でいいたいことはある」
モリガン「武器やモンスターの種類が物足りない」
online is too hard
too few monsters

We need to call the ultimate translator:

irZDSs1Jyojznql8vxZautDyo1_400.jpg

Haunted said:
Another 40?

Man, Famitsu. :/

yeah, it's like seeing GTA4 get a 10, then playing it, then seeing MGS4 get a 10. Not saying these aren't all great games, but something in recent years made people just think "video games...ARE AWESOME....TOO AWESOME"

test_account

XP-39C²
sprsk said:
I don't have it in front of me right now, unfortunately. You'll see a real translation from the real text at some point. 1up usually has a good review roundup.
Ok, no problem :) Thanks for the tip about 1up :) But the text that was posted earlier, did it translate into "online is too hard" etc. or what did it this text say?

Haunted

Linkzg said:
yeah, it's like seeing GTA4 get a 10, then playing it, then seeing MGS4 get a 10. Not saying these aren't all great games, but something in recent years made people just think "video games...ARE AWESOME....TOO AWESOME"
In the west it's the hype and well-oiled marketing machines that are swaying reviewers.

In the east, it's Famitsu taking responsibility for a flailing (console) market assuring everyone that JAPAN STILL MAKES AMAZING GAMES - giving out five 40s in the last 15 months is the proof!

Linkzg said:

I mean I agree that more 10's should be given out. But more so only to games that really have next to zero faults and will hold the test of time.

Top Bottom