• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu 2008 Top 100 Half-Year Chart

iifu

Neo Member
Mithos Yggdrasill said:
WTF at New Super Mario Bros. at 5.2 millions.

Why Nintendo isn't developing a new 2D Mario for the DS? Why damn it?

Anyway, what really scares me is that Nintendo has sold more then 10 millions games, without a single new DS game. And we all know that DS games were selling like crazy in past 2-3 years. Shit: they're only Wii and DS games that came out in 2005/2006. In other words, about the DS, they're living with old stuff. Crazy.
So that answers your question. There is no NSMB2 or Wii Sports 2 yet because the original games are still selling. Really, why bother at this point?

Sho Nuff

Banned
h3ro said:
Ctrl F: Lost Odyssey

:(

It didn't even sell 66K this year? Ughh...

Anyone know how it sold during the two weeks before 2008 when it was released? I thought it would have some legs with the JPN audience, being made by the Gooch and music by Uematsu...

Sorry, it features characters above 16 years old, instant sales suicide :(

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Chances that The World Ends With You has sold-through greater than 500k WW yet?

Anyone know what Jupiter is up to now? They are so on my radar now...

Thanks cvx.

Mario Strikers Charged has surpassed Super Mario Strikers - yay.

Kinan said:
So-o-o, third party sales on PS3 around 1.7 million and on Wii around 650k? heh.
Numbers seemed a bit low so I added them:

06. [PS3] Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (Konami) - 576,437
13. [PS3] Devil May Cry 4 (Capcom) - 304,652
16. [PS3] Yakuza Kenzan (Sega) - 267,242
47. [PS3] Valkyria Chronicles (Sega) - 129,835
60. [PS3] Dragon Ball Z Burst Limit (Bandai Namco) - 111,407
68. [PS3] Disgaea 3 (Nippon Ichi) - 93,227
70. [PS3] Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (Activision) - 90,177
71. [PS3] Pro Baseball Spirits 5 (Konami) - 89,887
75. [PS3] Armored Core For Answer (From Software) - 84,155
77. [PS3] Assassin's Creed (Ubisoft) - 82,277
Total: 1,829,296 Average: 182,929

20. [WII] Deca Sporta (Hudson) - 204,052
34. [WII] Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of a New World (Bandai Namco) - 151,138
54. [WII] Family Ski (Bandai Namco) - 115,368
62. [WII] Winning Eleven Playmaker 2008 (Konami) - 104,654
78. [WII] Shiren Mystery Dungeon 3 (Sega) - 81,925
85. [WII] Family Trainer (Bandai Namco) - 77,338
Total: 734,475 Average: 122,412

Of course I don't think you were actually serious considering the games released (MGS4 alone probably has a budget ot at least double that of all those Wii games combined) but I think putting the games right to each other does reveal some interesting things.

Seeing CoD4 sell on par with titles like Disgaea and rather close to DBZ and VC is really surprising. It seems PS3 attracts the same (now not so) niche as the 360. It'll be interesting to see if and how that'll have an effect on 360 in the long run (though there's the 360 timed exclusives and all).

On the Wii side I think both Deca and Family Ski have surpassed expectations but seeing these titles sell so well is shaping the perception of the system in my guess. Which would be a pretty bad thing, because if smaller sized non-casual titles can't find a home on Wii we'll only ever see them on DS. I love my DS as the next guy but some things just don't fly all that well as portable games.

vareon

I ctrl-f for "Sekai", found no match, and was horribly disappointed.

Then I realized it was "Etrian Odyssey II". Damn. Good numbers, though.

Kinan

Yea, I was not completely serious of course. :) Especially considering that Nintendo publishing in Japan everything that really brings money (M&S@Olimpics, for example). What I was expecting though is that someone would do a first party comparison to counter my post :), which is like gazzilion to zero. Yes, not a single first party title from Sony for PS3 or PS2 in the list... Only 4 PSP titles, no is higher than 100k.

Kinan said:
Yea, I was not completely serious of course. :) Especially considering that Nintendo publishing in Japan everything that really brings money (M&S@Olimpics, for example). What I was expecting though is that someone would do a first party comparison to counter my post :), which is like gazzilion to zero. Yes, not a single first party title from Sony for PS3 or PS2 in the list... Only 4 PSP titles, no is higher than 100k.
Actually why bother. Sony has never been as strong as Nintendo as a software dev so I think a comparison would be pretty moot. Sony seems to be focusing more on its first party offerings on PS3, but that's mainly aimed at a western audience. Seeing those CoD4 numbers KZ2's performance will be interesting though - it may have a shot at comparably good numbers (if it turns out to be a decent game).

A comparison is also pretty meaningless as PS2 was supported mainly by third parties, so you can't draw any conclusions from the abscence either.

Jiggy

cvxfreak said:
SOFTWARE

18. [NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo) - 214,396 / 5,209,549
35. [NDS] Dragon Quest IV: Chapters of the Chosen (Square Enix) - 148,944 / 1,201,771
61. [NDS] Pokemon Diamond/Pearl (Pokemon) - 108,990 / 5,506,194
Definitely happy to see these continuing to rack up sales.

SALES BY PUBLISHER

2. Bandai Namco - 3,900,000
3. Capcom - 3,760,000

NUMBER OF TITLES PER PUBLISHER

2. Bandai Namco - 22
4. Capcom - 5
I find this moderately interesting. Capcom has the best-selling game of the year with Monster Hunter (and had over 61% of its sales coming from that alone) while Bandai Namco's top seller just barely cracked the top 15, but the latter company basically coasted by on the back of raw quantity.

cvxfreak

Jiggy37 said:
Definitely happy to see these continuing to rack up sales.

I find this moderately interesting. Capcom has the best-selling game of the year with Monster Hunter (and had over 61% of its sales coming from that alone) while Bandai Namco's top seller just barely cracked the top 15, but the latter company basically coasted by on the back of raw quantity.

I'm sorry, but:

Jiggy37
Got lost looking for
a hentai sim forum

(Today, 06:15 PM)
Reply | Quote

:lol :lol :lol

[WII] Wii Sports (Nintendo) - 544,958 / 3,009,692
WII - 1,720,263 / 6,338,742

And this is why I scoff at people who put Wii Sports into lists of best selling titles of all time acting like its sold 20 million units just because it's packaged in iwth the Wii. Given the choice people will put their dollars elsewhere.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Gokurakumaru said:

And this is why I scoff at people who put Wii Sports into lists of best selling titles of all time acting like its sold 20 million units just because it's packaged in iwth the Wii. Given the choice people will put their dollars elsewhere.

Do you not know how sales work? A near 50% attach rate is absolutely insane.

Gokurakumaru said:

As said above, you could not find any game with a higher attach ratio in a single region, that isn't a pack-in, if you tried. It might not get a 100% attach ratio in America, but it would still be in the monthly top 10 just like Wii Play if it wasn't a pack-in.

Gokurakumaru said:

Wait, what? Its sold 1.7 million units in the last 6 months, and its been out for over a year and a half!

Has there even been a game with a 50% attach rate in any country? I cant think of one. The original Super Mario Bros didnt achieve that, nor did Pokemon Red/Blue. For reference, GTAIV has about a 33% attach rate in North America.

Gallagher said:
Well Monster Hunter 3 is going to sleep with the Wii now ;)

Doesn't matter really. Kaz should beg, borrow, steal and do whatever it takes to get MH3 or a version thereof, onto PS3. Anything less is abject stupidity.

Never mind:

SOFTWARE
Nintendo DS

31. [NDS] Final Fantasy IV (Square Enix) - 164,957 / 612,044
35. [NDS] Dragon Quest IV: Chapters of the Chosen (Square Enix) - 148,944 / 1,201,771

Total: 313,901

Sony PSP

41. [PSP] Star Ocean 2 Second Evolution (Square Enix) - 141,218
72. [PSP] Star Ocean 1 First Departure (Square Enix) - 89,716 / 204,996

Total: 230,934

Hot damn! Not a single Square Enix console title managed to crack the top 100. What on Earth are they doing over there? What have been their releases in the last six months?

Tmac

Idolmaster Sold as much as disgae and armored core for PS3. It only prooves that if microsoft had invested more in local software lineup, they whould be in a much better position by now.

How a japanese game company can suceede in foreghein market? By having local softwarehouses and studios. Sony produce local games in all major markets. Why cant microsoft do the same? Well, if they want to be number one, they have to.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
viciouskillersquirrel said:
Hot damn! Not a single Square Enix console title managed to crack the top 100. What on Earth are they doing over there? What have been their releases in the last six months?

No console releases in the last six months. Last console release was Chocobo's Mysterious Dungeon on December 13, 2007.

Gaborn

MassiveAttack said:
Doesn't matter really. Kaz should beg, borrow, steal and do whatever it takes to get MH3 or a version thereof, onto PS3. Anything less is abject stupidity.

But why would they agree to develop it for PS3 now? They had a PS3 version, scrapped it for a Wii version, it's not exactly sensible to revive a PS3 version.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
viciouskillersquirrel said:
Oh ok. I thought these cats released stuff at a steady rate (say once every two months or so)

:lol If only... SE releases, not including their budget DS lifestyle software, bolding console releases.

2007:
January: 0
February: 0
March: 3 (Heroes of Mana, Front Mission, KH2 FM+)
April: 2 (FF PSP, FFXII RW)
May: 1 (FFT PSP)
June: 2 (Itadaki Street DS, FF2 PSP)
July: 2 (TWEWY, DQS)
August: 2 (FFCC:ROF, FFXII International)
September: 1 (Crisis Core)
October: 1 (FFTA2)
November: 3 (DQIVr, FF XI Wings of the Goddess, Yosumin)
December: 3 (Chocobo Dungeon Wii, FFIVr, Star Ocean PSP)

2008:
January: 0
February: 0
March: 0
April: 1 (Star Ocean 2 PSP)
May: 1 (Front Mission 2089 DS)
June: 0

So as you can see their releases are uneven and they have released relatively few console games over the last two years.

Gokurakumaru said:

:lol

Yeah. If it was sold separately across the whole world and only pulled in this miserable 47.5% attach rate, it would be at about 12 million worldwide. That's pathetic, right?

Zoe

So where is the disconnect coming from between Famitsu's and Media Create's numbers for Wii Fit and MHP2?

I understand that there's always a difference between the two, but for the positions to be flopped?

Zoe said:
I understand that there's always a difference between the two, but for the positions to be flopped?
Take two things that are close, add in a degree of impreciseness, and them switching order is not too difficult to do. By both trackers they're quite close to each other.

Leondexter said:
:lol

Yeah. If it was sold separately across the whole world and only pulled in this miserable 47.5% attach rate, it would be at about 12 million worldwide. That's pathetic, right?

You guys are hopeless. Yes, it's at a 50% LTD attach rate in Japan right now. It was the reason to pick up a Wii in Japan. Last year. Everybody's so quick to latch onto the 50% statistic they've failed to notice less than 1 in 3 are buying it this year. Wii Fit doing over 2 million sales without the luxury of being on the market since launch and being advertised as the reason to pick up a Wii is far more impressive.

As I said before, given an option -- and those options have obviously grown -- people will pass over fluff like Wii Sports. It's not and never will be a 20 million seller no matter how much fanciful accounting people want to do when calculating attach rates.

Dalthien

Gokurakumaru said:
You guys are hopeless. Yes, it's at a 50% LTD attach rate in Japan right now. It was the reason to pick up a Wii in Japan. Last year. Everybody's so quick to latch onto the 50% statistic they've failed to notice less than 1 in 3 are buying it this year. Wii Fit doing over 2 million sales without the luxury of being on the market since launch and being advertised as the reason to pick up a Wii is far more impressive.

As I said before, given an option -- and those options have obviously grown -- people will pass over fluff like Wii Sports. It's not and never will be a 20 million seller no matter how much fanciful accounting people want to do when calculating attach rates.
Forget the attach rates then. Wii Play was just under 12 million sold through March, and is still selling very well around the world. Wii Sports has consistently outsold Wii Play in Japan from Day 1. There's no reason to believe that Wii Sports wouldn't sell comparably to Wii Play in the west just as it has done in Japan. So yeah, 20 million would seem to be an attainable goal for Wii Sports if it was sold as a separate sku everywhere.

It doesn't matter much in the end though. As far as Nintendo is concerned, they've been getting 50 bucks for every copy of Wii Sports included with the Wii in the west. There were stories suggesting that they were originally considering selling the Wii standalone for $200, and decided to bundle Wii Sports in the west and bump the price by $50 on each system. So as far as Nintendo is concerned, they've been selling every single copy of Wii Sports at full price in the west anyway. I'm sure they are plenty pleased with the results.

Hero

Gokurakumaru said:

Uh, I'm pretty sure Wii Sports is still one of the reasons to own a Wii for the Japanese consumer. Just because Wii Fit is the new hotness this year doesn't discredit Wii Sports. You know, that might be Nintendo's goal to find a killer app game every year with the Wii ___ tag. But you know, that just might make too much sense for you.

Gokurakumaru said:

So what if only 1 in 3 are buying Wii Sports this year, lifetime it's at about 50% attach rate. Tell me one game that's managed to do it, launch title or not. Wii Sports is the biggest reason to own a Wii, because it shows off the Wii's gimmick. It'll be a 20 million seller easily if it wasn't packed in. I don't know how you can be impressed by Wii Fit's sales and not Wii Sport's, they're practically appealing to the same groups of gamers (everyone).

Dalthien said:
Forget the attach rates then. Wii Play was just under 12 million sold through March, and is still selling very well around the world. Wii Sports has consistently outsold Wii Play in Japan from Day 1. There's no reason to believe that Wii Sports wouldn't sell comparably to Wii Play in the west just as it has done in Japan. So yeah, 20 million would seem to be an attainable goal for Wii Sports if it was sold as a separate sku everywhere.

Unless we're hypothesising that Wii Sports would be $10 and packed in with a controller, that doesn't sound likely at all. Why should it sell 1:1 when it's not doing it in Japan and Wii Play isn't doing it anywhere?

Hero said:
Uh, I'm pretty sure Wii Sports is still one of the reasons to own a Wii for the Japanese consumer. Just because Wii Fit is the new hotness this year doesn't discredit Wii Sports. You know, that might be Nintendo's goal to find a killer app game every year with the Wii ___ tag. But you know, that just might make too much sense for you.

To go back to my basic point, Japanese sales demonstrate that people pretending Wii Sports is the best selling game of all time because it's a mandatory pack-in are deluding themselves. Wii Fit doesn't need to discredit Wii Sports. Wii Sports is doing that itself. It's not selling 1:1 with the Wii in Japan. It's not even doing 1:2 any more. It's doing 1:3.

I don't get what you guys are finding so hard to understand about this. I'm not saying it's not selling great. Just that being a freebie automatically makes its claim for best selling game of all time null and void.

BishopLamont said:
So what if only 1 in 3 are buying Wii Sports this year, lifetime it's at about 50% attach rate. Tell me one game that's managed to do it, launch title or not. Wii Sports is the biggest reason to own a Wii, because it shows off the Wii's gimmick. It'll be a 20 million seller easily if it wasn't packed in. I don't know how you can be impressed by Wii Fit's sales and not Wii Sport's, they're practically appealing to the same groups of gamers (everyone).

What do you mean "so what if only 1 in 3 are buying it this year"? That's the whole point. The attach rate is shrinking so the 1:1 attach in the West is a complete distortion of reality.

Dalthien

Gokurakumaru said:
Unless we're hypothesising that Wii Sports would be $10 and packed in with a controller, that doesn't sound likely at all. Why should it sell 1:1 when it's not doing it in Japan and Wii Play isn't doing it anywhere?
What?

Wii Sports has outsold Wii Play in Japan - weekly, monthly, total, whatever barometer you want to use. And Wii Sports is sold as a standalone game in Japan, and Wii Play is bundled with a controller, just as it is in the west. And Wii Play was already at roughly 12 million sold worldwide 3 months ago. It seems reasonable to expect Wii Sports to sell at a similar ratio in the West as it does in Japan (relative to Wii Play) if Wii Sports were sold as a standalone product in the West, as it is in Japan. So using that analysis, Wii Sports would have already been at somewhere near 13 million units sold worldwide (as a standalone game) at the end of March, with several more years of strong sales still ahead of it.

20 million would be a fairly easy lifetime target for Wii Sports to reach at this point (if we're making the silly assumption that it would be sold as a standalone game worldwide).

keeper7k

kpop100 said:
Wait so why is the 360 the HD RPG machine of choice again?
Because the greatest titles are ye to be released. With Infinite Undiscovery, Star Ocean , Last Remnant & Tales Of Vesperia on the way i expect a much higher position within a year from now. ;)

See now we're getting down to the crux of it. I'm not saying Wii Sports could never sell 20 million units in a 5 year lifespan. I'm disputing the idea that it would have done anything like that already which is what people act like when talking Wii attach rates. I also dispute that a 50% attach rate in Japan right now would translate into 20 million sales by the time the Wii moves 40 million units. No data supports the idea.

I don't really want to get into the whole Wii Play thing here as I have a feeling it will be another giant derailing debate. Suffice to say I think counting Wii Play sales as a software sale is dodgy at best without looking at how many extra controllers are sold with consoles in general.

Gokurakumaru said:
You guys are hopeless. Yes, it's at a 50% LTD attach rate in Japan right now. It was the reason to pick up a Wii in Japan. Last year. Everybody's so quick to latch onto the 50% statistic they've failed to notice less than 1 in 3 are buying it this year.

As I said before, given an option -- and those options have obviously grown -- people will pass over fluff like Wii Sports.
If 1/3 of new owners going for a 1.5-year-old game is "pass over fluff" territory, I wish I could release some fluff.

Damn, that's probably what the Popcorn Arcade people thought to themselves before releasing Ninjabread Man.
kpop100 said:
Wait so why is the 360 the HD RPG machine of choice again?
Phife Dawg said:
It has more RPGs than PS3?
keeper7k said:
Because the greatest titles are ye to be released. With Infinite Undiscovery, Star Ocean , Last Remnant & Tales Of Vesperia on the way i expect a much higher position within a year from now. ;)
I think you two answered with what he was trying to ask. Why does it have more, and why are those big ones coming, considering its performance. To which, moneyhats seems the biggest reason.

Top Bottom