• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu 29th

dablemont

Banned
[DS]Blood of Bahamut - 8,8,7,8

Wow... I expected so much more from Famitsu on this game. Regardless, I can't wait to see more of BofB... I'm still hyped for this game!

dablemont

Banned
biocat said:
Just a couple corrections. Have the issue now. Anyone want to know what any particular review said?

Oh, if you could please tell me what Blood of Bahamut's review was overall? Why didn't they rank the game higher? Thanks in advance! =)

Ricker

:lol at all the people pissing on Magna Carta 2 already,that probably don't even own a 360 and are just going by the first game....good score and after the demo,i'm looking forward to this even more now.

Paracelsus

Ricker said:
:lol at all the people pissing on Magna Carta 2 already,that probably don't even own a 360 and are just going by the first game....good score and after the demo,i'm looking forward to this even more now.

I guess you missed the WKC bashing after the 29/40 (30/40 minus 1/40, you know) on Famitsu.

gerg

Allan Holdsworth said:

Seconded. I got some way into the first title (I got to the snow island, iirc), but the grinding has prevented me from completing it. I might start the game again with a guide at hand. Either way, I hope the sequel reaches UK shores.

wrowa

demosthenes said:
I'm new to GAF as you can see but GAF actually takes Famitsu reviews w/ a grain of salt?
GAF's standard response to Famitsu reviews is pretty much "lol, Famitsu". :p

iceatcs

demosthenes said:
I'm new to GAF as you can see but GAF actually takes Famitsu reviews w/ a grain of salt?
Correct... but only people will like this game cos of their fav system will be biggest affect from Famitsu reviews whether if it is good or bad.

wrowa said:
GAF's standard response to Famitsu reviews is pretty much "lol, Famitsu". :p

Ok because I thought this was it, I guess how NA readers perceived their reviews but I saw some posts like "oh that review score is low, or awesome that review score is high", and I always thought that Famitsu reviews were a joke.

demosthenes said:

I think Hero nailed it with the moneyhatted reviews

Sucks that Kamen Rider: Climax Heroes didn't fair better but those are the breaks I suppose.

xfactor

Banned
I've no idea why are there conflicting review scores for Magna Carta 2 posted on the various sources.

I guess 1 of the scores are from Famitsu 360. I'll try to check when I return home as my computer here doesn't display Jpn text

MotherFan

adversesolutions said:
Blech. Just another reason why I don't read or get hype for Famitsu anymore. A very slow 2009 where things like this and DQ9 are supposed to be the things to get hyped about. No thanks. J market is in such an ugly slump.

This makes no sense. You could have 2 mainline FF come out on the same day and DQ would still sell better and be more hyped. DQ is a huge series in Japan. MH is not on that level of course, but it is still pretty big.

Why you did not use Magna Carta as your example is beyond me as that is the real tragedy of this year.

Llyranor

Hey, Wizardry DS! Though, I'm not sure what I'd expect out of it, given that Wizardry VIII is one of my favorite RPGs ever for its *fantastic* combat system, whereas I couldn't get that much into Etrian Odyssey after a while (which is, by my understanding, as Wizardry-clone as JRPGs get).

WOW!!!! So I guess the Simple Series is now finally coming out for the PS3 as PSN titles. Finally we can start seeing some weird and quirky stuff. MEGATON for me :lol

After almost 3 years they just announce Vol 1. In this time in the PS2's life we were probaly at Vol 80. Hopefully we see some weird Beat em ups and some EDF games.

Discipline info:

http://wii.ign.com/articles/100/1008704p1.html

We last heard of Discipline at last year's Tokyo Game Show. All has been quiet on the Marvelous Entertainment WiiWare title since then, but Famitsu has finally come through with a full update.

Discipline is set in a high security prison known as Discipline. The facility was newly developed by safety services company SRL, and you're going to be taking part in a test management run. You're not actually a prisoner -- just a volunteer. The reason you've chosen to put yourself through voluntary hard time is because you need the money in order to pay for your younger sister's surgery.

You get to experience daily life in this prison, where you're locked up with two others. Your standard view of the action is from just outside your cell, looking in. You can see the security guard and prison supervisor walking back and forth.

Your goal is to help other inmates solve their problems. A "desire gauge" at the bottom of the screen shows what your two fellow inmates want. Possibilities include sleep, a meal, and recovery from boredom. Should the gauges for any of these reach full, the prisoner will begin to act strange, and you'll end up being penalized by being thrown in solitary confinement for the day.

To help the inmates, you make use of the Wiimote, referred to in the game as the "You-con" (presumably short for You Controller). Using your You-con requires that you first collect a type of energy known as "You Fluid." You build up this energy by raising your Wiimote when you're not being watched by the security guard. Being spotted by the guard while using your You-con will also get you in solitary.

Once you've built up your You Fluid, you aim the Wiimote at the screen to switch to a first person view. This is the game's "My World mode. In this mode, you can shoot out your You Fluid at things like walls and the toilet. Depending on what you shoot at, you'll end up solving different issues faced by the inmates. An example shown in the magazine concerns shooting your You Fluid at a poster to give the inmate some excitement. We're not sure why this makes the prisoner excited, but there's probably a good reason.

As you fulfill the inmates' requests, you'll end up doing damage to their "Heart Walls." Each inmate has multiple walls which, when broken, will get them to open up to you, even sharing insights into their past.

Break all a prisoner's walls, and you'll get a special Heart Crystal from the prisoner along with an item based off that particular episode. You'll also move on to another inmate, and may even see some improvements to your You-con.

Your You Fluid can also be used in another way. You'll occasionally see a pigeon at your cell's window. Shoot some You Fluid at the pigeon, and you'll be able to soar through the skies on a mental trip with the pigeon. If you've taken possession of a prisoner's Heart Crystal, you'll be able to read about the prisoner's past.

Discipline definitely looks like something we're going to have to play in order to fully understand. There are certainly some good reasons to do so. The game features an eye catching art style, with visual work credited to Luc-Leon-Lecoq. Serving as director for the game is Kazutoshi Ida, who's previously worked on such titles as Aquanaut's Holiday and Kyojin no Doshin.

Best of all, the price of admission is low with this one. Marvelous will be asking just 800 WiiPoint.

Discipline is listed in Famitsu as 100% complete. The game is set for an August 25 Japanese release date.

Where's the mention of the Alien Dildo? :(

zero9

Banned
I have never seen any evidence of Famitsu reviewers being bribed, It seems the negativity towards them is driven by fanboy asspain over review scores.

Can anyone prove to me otherwise?

I see the info about Samurai Warriors 3, if Google Translate's accurate, seems that there's Classic Controller support and some sort of "Treasure Box" at a simultanious release. The game's ¥ 7140.

Can anyone confirm this? And is this just a blip from the issue or is there a whole article with screens?!

faridmon

[DS]Bleach DS 4th: Flame Bringer - 8,8,7,8
[PSP]Tales of VS. - 8,8,8,8
[PS2/Wii]SD Gundam G Generation Wars - 9,8,8,8
[360]Magna Carta 2 - 8,8,7,7
Hell yeah, can't for those games to come over here (well except for the gundam game, since the other SD gundam games haven't got a localization)

Tekken 6 - Oct 29/8379 yen (17829 yen for box edition)

whoa, isn't that a bit expensive, or is it the Arcade cabinet or something?

R-TYPE TACTICS -Operation BITTER CHOCOLATE- - PSP

is the first one any good? they are selling it for cheap over here.

mujun

zero9 said:
I have never seen any evidence of Famitsu reviewers being bribed, It seems the negativity towards them is driven by fanboy asspain over review scores.

Can anyone prove to me otherwise?

From what I've heard all access to games is at the complete discretion of the company that makes it and unlike the U.S mags/sites for example Famitsu would never use any info about a company's game without getting permission first. They basically beg for every scrap they get from the bigger companies and treat smaller ones any way they see fit.

xfactor

Banned
It seems the 2 Wizardry games that will be released on the PSN and DS are not only brand new titles, but they are part of the "Wizardry Renaissance" plan

Yaweee

xfactor said:
It seems the 2 Wizardry games that will be released on the PSN and DS are not only brand new titles, but they are part of the "Wizardry Renaissance" plan

And the other parts of said Renaissance are Wizardry Online for PC (not necessarily an MMO), and Wizardry Zero, a manga.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3175349

Iwahara gave few other details on the Renaissance project for now, only stating that the games will all share a single setting and some key characters. The main staff working on the reboot are familiar names to hardcore Japan gamers, though -- Jun Suemi and Kenji Ito, both involved with the original (and wildly successful) NES ports of the Wizardry series, are handling graphic design and theme music respectively.

The PS3 and 360 version will be known in Japan as Shin Sangoku Musou Multi Raid Special. The game features a number of improvements over the PSP version. Obviously, the visuals are being brought up to console standards. Other changes include a new system where the CPU controls your three ally generals.

The biggest change, however, could be in the game's online play support. The PSP version offered support for local play. On PS3 and Xbox 360, the game is fully online, allowing for four players to play cooperatively and competitively. Koei is even including support for text and voice chat.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/100/1008712p1.html

faridmon

lupinko said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol

What you don't know Yen conversion rates or how it works in general?
well, its around £115, and that's expensive for a normal game.

and no, i don't know how does it work in the gaming business :(

so is it a CE or what?

Dunno what it is but for whatever reason I bought The Dark Spire and Wizardry: Tales of the Forsaken Land off ebay.

I would have bought Wizardry 8 too but it costs like a million dollars and last time I played it on this laptop the damn thing nearly burst into my flames.

MotherFan

faridmon said:
[DS]Bleach DS 4th: Flame Bringer - 8,8,7,8
[PSP]Tales of VS. - 8,8,8,8
[PS2/Wii]SD Gundam G Generation Wars - 9,8,8,8
[360]Magna Carta 2 - 8,8,7,7

Hell yeah, can't for those games to come over here (well except for the gundam game, since the other SD gundam games haven't got a localization)

Looking forward to Blood of Bahamut , but that is the only thing on this list I am interested, or expect to make it over here. Gundam won't like you said, but you forgot handheld tales games never get localized either (a real tragedy imo). MC2 will be crap though, just like the first one.

Top Bottom