• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu #989, reviews and utter lack of worthwhile news

ethelred

Oh, about the news that Sakimoto is composing for Valkyrie of the Battlefield... it's weird. He's probably my favorite game composer, but I'm not that excited that he's doing the game. Sega's got such an extremely talented internal/semi-internal team of composers and I guess I had figured they'd be doing it. It's a little disappointing they won't be.

No Yutaka Minobe, or Tatsuyiki Maeda, no Saori Kobayashi or Mariko Nanba or Tomoko Sasaki, Naofumi Hataya... ah well. I'm certain Sakimoto will do a fantastic job, if it's actually him composing.

xcomp said:
I "like" how all the developers are going down the remake route. No real new titles =P

Er, what? Flightplan already did one new Summon Night game on the DS (which no one bought), they have another new Summon Night game coming for the PS2, and just last week they announced another new PS2 game in a brand new IP. What are you talking about? Is it that worthy of criticism that they're porting the first two games in their main series for the first time?

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
eh, cant say Im that thrilled to see Sakimoto doing YET another soundtrack. it's like Sakuraba, his stuff is starting to sound very samey. Im afraid he'll get his creative juice sucked dry.

but oh well, good for him I guess. at least his is working unlike Mitsuda :eek:

xcomp

ethelred said:
Er, what? Flightplan already did one new Summon Night game on the DS (which no one bought), they have another new Summon Night game coming for the PS2, and just last week they announced another new PS2 game in a brand new IP. What are you talking about? Is it that worthy of criticism that they're porting the first two games in their main series for the first time?
I'm not criticising them in particular. Just that everyone seems to be going on that route lately. Ys remakes for DS, Summon Night for DS, Final Fantasy for DS, Riviera, Yggdra, Disgaea, Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G etc.

ethelred

xcomp said:
I'm not criticising them in particular. Just that everyone seems to be going on that route lately. Ys remakes for DS, Summon Night for DS, Final Fantasy for DS, Riviera, Yggdra, Disgaea, Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G etc.

Lately? How is it anything new? The GBA was littered with NES and SNES ports. Tactics Ogre and Ogre Battle and both Lunars were all ported to the PSX and Saturn; Banpresto's been doing SRW remakes for a while; the SNES even had plenty of NES ports and remakes. There's no disquieting new trend here. Yeah, there are Ys remakes on the DS -- which just means these two games will be on every system ever made short of TI-81 calculators.

Mandoric

Banned
ethelred said:
Lately? How is it anything new? The GBA was littered with NES and SNES ports. Tactics Ogre and Ogre Battle and both Lunars were all ported to the PSX and Saturn; Banpresto's been doing SRW remakes for a while; the SNES even had plenty of NES ports and remakes. There's no disquieting new trend here. Yeah, there are Ys remakes on the DS -- which just means these two games will be on every system ever made short of TI-81 calculators.

While between two and four SRW remakes have been made, depending on how you count, only one of them has been this decade; 2G (heavily tweaked remake of 2 for the GB, 1995), F and F Final (not so much "remake of" as "replacement for" 4, 1998-1999), and then this year's OGs (the closest thing to a standard "remake".)

ethelred

Mandoric said:
While between two and four SRW remakes have been made, depending on how you count, only one of them has been this decade; 2G (heavily tweaked remake of 2 for the GB, 1995), F and F Final (not so much "remake of" as "replacement for" 4, 1998-1999), and then this year's OGs (the closest thing to a standard "remake".)

That was kinda sorta the whole point.

Mandoric

Banned
ethelred said:
That was kinda sorta the whole point.

Yeah, I misread and thought you were citing it as "a LOT of remakes" rather than "a trickle of remakes over a long while." Sorry, GAF and just waking up don't mix.

TreIII

duckroll said:
http://www.capcom.co.jp/fate_uc

Produced by Cavia, developed by 8ing, published by Capcom, System 248. It seems that Cavia holds the master license for Fate games, and Capcom is the sub-licensee as a publisher.

System 248, huh? I hope the fact that they're going for a weaker board won't mean that they'll have less to work with. I would have thought that if you were going to use the System boards, 256 would be pretty much the only choice.

But ah well...in any case, my overall assumption was correct. This will probably be yet another in a steadily growing line of "Arcade games destined for PS2 port release". If your company's name isn't Namco, Sega or Tecmo, I guess you're perfectly fine sticking with the last-gen hardware.

Not that I'm complaining, of course... :D (*prays that Sengoku BASARA X and Samurai Spirits SEN will both be on the PS2 by the end of 2008*)

Cedille

Isn't there Famitsu #990 thread? A new SE game is announced.
viploader523091.jpg

Top Bottom