• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu asked what games made the Japanese gaming public cry

hamchan

I agree with Clannad.

I also agree with FFX. Ending was pretty damn sad, then the post credits made it a bit more happy. A damn great ending. Then FFX-2 ruined it.

Snakeyes

I cry tears of disappointment every time I see FFX near the top of a list.

Mother 3 and MGS3 are good picks, I almost teared up during the sad scenes.

beastmode

you should always be loyal to your country because enemies change with the times colonel volgin is gay and can shoot lightning out of his hands METAL GEAR SOLID 3: SNAKE EATER

that... was beautiful :'(

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Who was the one who had the tag that linked to Opoona vs. White Knight Famistu scores? It was something like, "That's just cold, son." Searching is no help.

Alrus

Apparently, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Explorer of Time/Darkness was a runner up? A pokemon game made people cry? (also wtf, I went to check the wikipedia article for that game and the plot part is like 2 pages long, I've never seen such a detailed plot summary for a game before >.>)

Sinoox

Banned
MGS3 definitely got me a bit chocked up at the end. The music, the writing, and the cinematography were perfect.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
No Suikoden II, Suikoden V, and Persona 4 makes me sad. :(

Bebpo

Banned
Everyone who laughs at FFX being number 1 on that list played it in English. The poor dub work really destroyed the story for the western versions.

In a world where FFX has a film quality voice track for the English version, it'd probably be second to only FFVII in international popularity for the series. The Japanese version of FFX is a completely different experience.

Ravage

I agree with the first one.

No FFVIII makes me sad though, I showed no emotion when playing XIII.

VIII is my favourite FF but is there really a scene with tear-jerking potential? Maybe at the end (because i don't want it to end).

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
VIII is my favourite FF but is there really a scene with tear-jerking potential? Maybe at the end (because i don't want it to end).

Yeah, the ending. One of the nicest endings though.

I didn't even feel sad in VII. Aerith looked like a bunch of blocks being stabbed. :(

Snakeyes

Everyone who laughs at FFX being number 1 on that list played it in English.

Well, laughing was the main highlight of the game.

And I doubt the experience would be much different unless you actually understand Japanese to enjoy the Hollywood-caliber voice acting.

I admittedly cry easily for media, though rarely for anything around life events, so crying during an emotional moment in a game never seems odd to me. Sure, I cried at the end of Final Fantasy X, as seemingly many others did.

But I honestly can't remember anything sad about Okami, or at least feeling sad. Perhaps due to it being a wolf I didn't have a connection?

Also, first time I cried during a game was Illusion of Gaia. Poor pig :(

CO_Andy

In a world where FFX has a film quality voice track for the English version, it'd probably be second to only FFVII in international popularity for the series. The Japanese version of FFX is a completely different experience.
I must be in the minority, cause i found nothing wrong with the VO :p

t3Pna.gif

I seriously cried like a baby.

Only time I can remember a game making me literally cry, was the ending of SMG story book, I felt like a was a little child once again, it was so charming.

I must be in the minority, cause i found nothing wrong with the VO :p
FFX was one of the few games/movies/etc that I felt like English VO was as good as good Japanese, really top notch.

It also made me really sad, story and character development were amazing in FFX, the best I have ever experienced.4

---
didn't 'felt' anything particular at the MGS3 ending, though I preferred I didn't had to do it.

Everyone who laughs at FFX being number 1 on that list played it in English. The poor dub work really destroyed the story for the western versions.

Obligatory.

Thoraxes

I watched some of the stuff before that, and holy shit the JP VA work is 10000000x better.

It's like a completely different feeling game that i'm now going to import it.

Xater

Hmm MGS4 might be the only game from this list that at least made my eyes wet. All these RPG stories are such sappy shit that it rather makes me groan than cry.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Wtf? No fucking game ever made me cry.

The only 2 movies that almost made me cry are "The Lion King" and "Titanic".

Anth0ny

Wtf? No fucking game ever made me cry.

The only 2 movies that almost made me cry are "The Lion King" and "Titanic".

Surprisingly, movies have never made me cry. I watched Lion King too young, so I didn't comprehend exactly what was going on I think.

Toy Story 3, on the other hand... so close. So close.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Surprisingly, movies have never made me cry. I watched Lion King too young, so I didn't comprehend exactly what was going on I think.

Toy Story 3, on the other hand... so close. So close.

I ruined TS3 for me. I read too many reviews. I didn't know what will happen but i know the ending will be sad.

Taglines like "What is it about Toy Story 3 that makes grown men cry?" made me curious but the ending did nothing for me. Maybe i was too prepared...

or i have no soul

bartclassics12.jpg

Seriously don't think any game has ever made me cry.
The closest I've come is at the end of Xenosaga 3. And even that didn't make me tear up, I just got slightly emotional.

I really couldn't see myself ever crying over a game with the way they tell stories these days.

Aeana

Seriously don't think any game has ever made me cry.
The closest I've come is at the end of Xenosaga 3. And even that didn't make me tear up, I just got slightly emotional.

I really couldn't see myself ever crying over a game with the way they tell stories these days.

Have you played Mother 3?

Top Bottom