• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu asked what games made the Japanese gaming public cry

IrishNinja

FF X? really? i guess that explains the remake, was wondering who that was for.

mostly a pretty strong list, though: Crisis Core's ending damn near got me misty, and Okami, MGS3, Mother 3 (;_;), Nier, ICO/SOTC...almost balances out XIII (what was that sad?) and a few others. no idea what 428 is though.

Cheska

I balled my eyes out on account of FFVII: Crisis Core. It doesn't help that Zack is one of my favorite Final Fantasy characters either :(

NieR and Final Fantasy X are high up on the list too, but Crisis Core really got to me.

I think I could see what made people cry at Okami. I dunno how to describe it, but those last few scenes and the build up to your final fight just sent chills down my spine. It was so good. Reset's lyrics are pretty nice as well.

IrishNinja

No Skyward Sword?
dat reunion of Zelda with Impa in the end ;_;

that was good, but i thought "ill always be your zelda..." before the sleep was a bit stronger.

buy the japanese version and use whatever method you find comfortable to play the translated version. love was put into it, man. love!

Trickster Vijers is typically an untrustworthy Loki around these parts, but this is all truth here.

-KRS-

Hmm okami seems odd. But I guess in the end there you part ways with Issun. And even though he was obnoxious at times, they still built up the relationship between him and Amaterasu pretty well I thought. And I was also a bit sad that they had to part ways.

Nice to see FFX on the list. It's the best FF in my mind and the ending did really make me cry, no other game hs ever done that. It was an amazing ending and FFVI is pretty much the only game that comes close with its good ending.

MGS3 didnt make me cry, but it did shock me. The monument it reads "the sons of the boss are born" I was just shocked. It's like everything in MGS had just been set-up and so many things revealed.

Years later MGS4 would make me cry at how disappointingly terrible it was.

Opinions are opinions.

Me personally?

The only game that has gotten even a small heartstring tug out of me is Wind Waker when Link is leaving the island. There's more actual emotion in that scene than in any other game I've played. Aside from EXCITE of course.

Games are terrific at EXCITE and JESUSTITS.

Go_Ly_Dow

Maybe not cry, but I agree with:

The results:

1. Final Fantasy X (Square Enix, PS2, 7/19/2001)
2. Crisis Core Final Fantasy VII (Square Enix, PSP, 9/13/2007)
4. Clannad (Gung-Ho Works, PS2, 2/23/2006)
8. Final Fantasy VII (Square Enix, PS, 1/31/1997)
12. Final Fantasy IX (Square Enix, PS, 7/7/2000)
12. NieR Replicant (Square Enix, PS3, 4/22/2010)
16. ICO (Sony, PS2, 12/6/2001)
16. Shadow of the Colossus (Sony, PS2, 10/27/2005)

That is all.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Its gotta be Mother 3 for me, but I don't understand, Tales of the Abyss? really?

I sort of cried at the ending. :(

Though really, I cried because Luke is probably the most embarrassing character I've ever played.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
So forgive the ignorance, I came close to finshing mgs3 but never have.

Was the premise behind the story about how
Boss never defected to begin with but was set up as a fall lady? so the tragedy of the game (and ending) is that Snake and Boss are these characters that were really connected but manipulated to eventually fight one another?

I may just buy the HD remix for this now.
Hit the nail on the head good sir.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
It is on the japanese psn store if you have an account.

Worth the money!
d2rjbl.jpg

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
What happened?

Ending spoilers:

Luke vanishes after the final battle, with Tear feeling sad and all. A few months after, they decided to go back to the spot where they last saw and saw him emerge as a Luke and Asch merged into one. Dunno if there was a hugging/kissing scene but if I remember correctly, Tear was in tears (lol).

I agree with Clannad, the TV version and After Story specifically. I found the stories throughout, more so in After Story to be very touching/emotional. One of the only anime I have seen that dealt with
single father parenting

It's too bad Xenosaga 3 is not on the list, such a beautiful game.

So many good games on that list, it's been a long time since I've cried because of a game though, maybe I am becoming immune to it.

Burai

shitonmychest57
FFXIII made men weep over Sqenix's betrayal of the Japanese nation.

In turn, tears of shame, dishonour and regret flow within the walls of Square. They were warned by experts and they ignored those warnings. May they rest in peace. :(

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Ending spoilers:

Luke vanishes after the final battle, with Tear feeling sad and all. A few months after, they decided to go back to the spot where they last saw and saw him emerge as a Luke and Asch merged into one. Dunno if there was a hugging/kissing scene but if I remember correctly, Tear was in tears (lol).

Thank you sir. Watching the ending now on youtube.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
I cry quite often at movies and tv shows, be it happy or sad moments, but I don't think a game has ever resonated with me in the same way.

Kinda surprised me, plenty of other emotions are served up by games but I can't remember a game eliciting those kind of emotions. I tend to hate tragedies rather than cry along so I'll more often cry at happy stuff which was earned through some great trauma or something.

Now that I think of it it's quite rare to play a game which has a good love story. I guess it goes to show that storytelling in games is still very immature and lacking in sophistication.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Never cried at a game, but the microwave corridor sequence in MGS4 made me sorta misty-eyed.

Well, and I got kinda teary-eyed due to anger after playing Knights Contract and realizing I spent money on one of the biggest piece of shit games of the last decade. FF X nearly made me cry for all the wrong reasons. Godawful game.

Raonak

Banned
Agree with MGS3 (i was actually too confused to get it the first time. I never understood the whole situation with the boss until my second playthrough :/)
and MGS4 (dat microwave :'( )
and FFX and Crisis Core(man... that ending. Zack >>>>>>>>>> Cloud)

The end of FFXIII was actually a happy ending(of sorts) so not sure why thats up there.
And FFVII wasn't that emotional. I think it's because the bad CG models made me lol at the cutscenes if anything.

This furthers my hypothesis that there is something untranslatable from Japanese games because there is no way I could believe a human being cried or even got really any emotion from this stuff for the most part (the JRPGS). It all seems jilted and off.

Top Bottom