• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu Japan 2012 Top 100 Games

#7 Resident Evil 6

RYa3X.gif

To be fair I bought it too :(

Good for Kid Icarus.

i thought it sold like 100k

Kid Icarus: Uprising had a mild success, given how it was pushed. In fact, if it would have been the first one of a series, I had said it put some nice results. The problem is it will likely a stand-alone game, and it barely sold one million units worldwide (maybe less).

Good for Kid Icarus.

i thought it sold like 100k
It's a million seller worldwide.

But we probably won't see shipment numbers in the annual report, because the first week isn't included in the fiscal year. And the first week probably accounts for 300.000 units.

Thraktor

Some breakdowns of the data for everyone.

First off, by platform:

2012sales_platform_800.png

Then, by publisher:

2012sales_publisher1_800.png

And, if you want to consider Nintendo and Pokemon Co. as a single publisher:

2012sales_publisher2_800.png

4 non-Japanese games in the Top 100.

wow
6.25 games were developed by western teams.

Mario Kart 7 (Retro Studios)
Resident Evil: Operation Racoon City (Slant Six Games)
Call of Duty: Black Ops II (Treyarch)
Just Dance Wii (Ubisoft Paris)
Just Dance Wii 2 (Ubisoft Paris)
Art Academy: Lessons for Everyone (Headstrong Games)
Assassin's Creed III (Ubisoft Montreal)

MisterHero

*bow* 3DS, Nintendo, Capcom

PS3 is putting up a good fight.

Unless something's changed, Resident Evil is Capcom's highest-selling franchise. RE6 always had good chances of doing well.

Some breakdowns of the data for everyone.

First off, by platform:

Then, by publisher:

And, if you want to consider Nintendo and Pokemon Co. as a single publisher:

Amazing that the PS3 is the second highest console in software, yet Sony is listed number 9 on software sales by publishers. SCE leans too far on Western studios to really appeal to Japanese tastes. Great for other regions of the world, but not so great for their home country.

Takao

Banned
Some remarks:

59 3DS Little Battlers eXperience: Baku Boost 180,873 180,873 Level 5 2012-07-05
73 PSP Little Battlers eXperience W 155,877 155,877 Level 5 2012-10-18

Time to announce LBX W Baku Boost. I don't see how this series should stay on Sony hardware in the future. Level-5 was smart enough to announce Baku Boost on 3DS and doing multi with Vita for W, so to test the market. And the market has spoken.

Making Explosive Boost for 3DS was a smart move for the present, but it's a stupid move for the future of the LBX IP as it sabotaged the release of W on PSP/Vita. Your post is proof enough of that. You expect a W re-release, and a lot of other people did too. It got to the point where Hino went on Twitter and said it's not going to happen (in which case, I call bullshit). Who's going to buy the first release when they know something with more content will come out in 6 months?

Making Explosive Boost for 3DS was a smart move for the present, but it's a stupid move for the future of the LBX IP as it sabotaged the release of W on PSP/Vita. Your post is proof enough of that. You expect a W re-release, and a lot of other people did too. It got to the point where Hino went on Twitter and said it's not going to happen (in which case, I call bullshit). Who's going to buy the first release when they know something with more content will come out in 6 months?

I don't think the release of Baku Boost affected W's sales so much. Baku Boost sold to either a new audience for the franchise or to people that basically bought everything with the name LBX on it. So W, in this aspect, wasn't affected at all, in my opinion. Then, people might expect the release of a W Baku Boost, that's true, but given the audience, I don't see how this could have affected the sales of the second very entry. I mean, people didn't buy Diamond / Pearl because they were expecting Platinum? People didn't buy Black / White because they were expecting a third version? As for Level-5 itself, instead, a small loss before can be well compensated by a great earning later on, e.g. Inazuma Eleven 3 with its Ogre version sold more than Inazuma Eleven 2, with an additional minimum effort. And LBX Boost and Inazuma Eleven Strikers eXtreme sold very well regardless the short span of time with the original release.

In this case, Level-5 has been farsighted enough. LBX would have been declined anyway, regardless Baku Boost. You cannot explain the drop in W with respect to the first episode (more than half drop) just with the release on Boost.

Thraktor

Some numbers:

- Of the total software sold in that list, 46.8% was published by Nintendo or Pokemon Co.

- Pokemon B&W2 accounted for 85.8% of DS software sold.

- Five games on the list were released before 2011. All five are published by Nintendo.

Takao

Banned
I don't think the release of Baku Boost affected W's sales so much. Baku Boost sold to either a new audience for the franchise or to people that basically bought everything with the name LBX on it. So W, in this aspect, wasn't affected at all, in my opinion. Then, people might expect the release of a W Baku Boost, that's true, but given the audience, I don't see how this could have affected the sales of the second very entry. I mean, people didn't buy Diamond / Pearl because they were expecting Platinum? People didn't buy Black / White because they were expecting a third version? As for Level-5 itself, instead, a small loss before can be well compensated by a great earning later on, e.g. Inazuma Eleven 3 with its Ogre version sold more than Inazuma Eleven 2, with an additional minimum effort. And LBX Boost and Inazuma Eleven Strikers eXtreme sold very well regardless the short span of time with the original release.

In this case, Level-5 has been farsighted enough. LBX would have been declined anyway, regardless Baku Boost. You cannot explain the drop in W with respect to the first episode (more than half drop) just with the release on Boost.

Kids aren't stupid. Especially when LBX W, and LBX Explosive Boost are announced on the same page, in the same issue of CoroCoro Comic. No franchise has re-releases like LBX does:

Little Battlers eXperience - PSP / June 2011
Little Battlers eXperience Boost - PSP / November 2011
Little Battlers eXperience Explosive Boost - 3DS / July 2012

Level-5 only makes the situation worse for themselves as they do heavy promotional work for every release, ensuring people know these games are getting re-released so often with more content every time.

Yes, LBX W probably would've sold less than the first as the PSP declines as a platform but there are definitely sales lost because of that nonsense. I suspect it'll be damaging too, because when LBX W is ported to 3DS with additional content (which given those sales, it kind of has to) less than a year after the PSP/Vita release it'll once again say to consumers "Don't buy these games on the first go". Level-5 should've just made LBX W a PSP/3DS/Vita game from the start.

linko9

What are you all talking about... that list looks very respectable. The entire top 10 minus RE6 are very to decently good games, and it's no surprise RE6 sold so much. Rest of the list is filled with good games as well, with some inevitable losers here and there. Looks much, much better than the charts I see coming out of Europe, and looks better than the NPD charts as well.

Spiegel

Some numbers:

- Of the total software sold in that list, 46.8% was published by Nintendo or Pokemon Co.

- Pokemon B&W2 accounted for 85.8% of DS software sold.

- Five games on the list were released before 2011. All five are published by Nintendo.

MHP3 the best is still MHP3.

Level-5 should've just made LBX W a PSP/3DS/Vita game from the start.
Looking at how it sold on Vita the only reason to bother porting there is if SCE incentivises it. Which they probably did, which is also probably why it wasn't on 3DS.

LBXW should've been PSP/3DS.

LayLa

Only two PSV titles?

it does surprise me a bit that so much of the Vita discussion centers around discussing the hardware sales, when the software sales seem to be even worse. then again anything that keeps the multitude of "dooomed" posts to a minimum in sales threads is probably a good thing.

It's a million seller worldwide.

But we probably won't see shipment numbers in the annual report, because the first week isn't included in the fiscal year. And the first week probably accounts for 300.000 units.
We'll get sales on the IR best sellers page eventually if it passes a million. That updates every FY and 1m is the 3DS threshold.

Bruno MB

Did it ever sell-through its first shipment?

Yes, first shipment was about 850k.

20/04/90 [NFC] Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light - ? / 329.000
14/03/92 [NFC] Fire Emblem Gaiden - ? / 325.000
21/01/94 [SFC] Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem - ? / 776.000
14/05/96 [SFC] Fire Emblem: Holy War Story - 228.578 / 429.763 (498.000 from sinobi)
28/08/99 [SFC] Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 - 30.104 / 158.695
29/03/02 [GBA] Fire Emblem: The Sealed Sword - 126.267 / 345.574
25/04/03 [GBA] Fire Emblem: Blazing Sword - 109.429 / 265.286
07/10/04 [GBA] Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones - 146.026 / 246.719
20/04/05 [GCN] Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance - 100.357 / 156.413
22/02/07 [WII] Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn - 73.337 / 171.924
07/08/08 [NDS] Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon - 147.704 / 252.309
15/07/10 [NDS] Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem - Hero of Light and Shadow - 147.045 / 247.248
19/04/12 [3DS] Fire Emblem: Awakening - 242.600 / 453.672

69 3DS Theatrhythm Final Fantasy 163,098 163,098 Square Enix 2012-02-16

Taking the iOS version out of the equation, please tell me that SE was pleased that it sold that much

And good on Kid Icarus for selling what it did, even though it barely sold more that Mario Tennis Open which is disappointing cause MTO sucks

Taking the iOS version out of the equation, please tell me that SE was pleased that it sold that much

And good on Kid Icarus for selling what it did, even though it barely sold more that Mario Tennis Open which is disappointing cause MTO sucks
I seem to recall SE were happy with Japanese sales, dissapointed with western sales.

hiska-kun

Yes, first shipment was about 850k.

But that was according to Media Create, right? Did we get the shipment from Famitsu?
Famitsu always showed the game higher:

MC:

[PS3] Final Fantasy XIII-2 # <RPG> (Square Enix) {2011.12.15} (¥7.980) - 524.217 / NEW <62,06%>

Dengeki:

[PS3] Final Fantasy XIII-2 (Square Enix) - 526,544 / NEW [ST: ~60% => ~878,000]

Famitsu:

[PS3] Final Fantasy XIII-2 # <RPG> (Square Enix) {2011.12.15} (¥7.980) - 605.660 / NEW

guek

Banned
Despite the homeland N-Dominance, I'm anxious to see in the next investor meeting how hard 2012 really hit Nintendo. I'm not expecting disaster but nothing pretty either.

Haunted

6.25 games were developed by western teams.

Mario Kart 7 (Retro Studios)
Resident Evil: Operation Racoon City (Slant Six Games)
Call of Duty: Black Ops II (Treyarch)
Just Dance Wii (Ubisoft Paris)
Just Dance Wii 2 (Ubisoft Paris)
Art Academy: Lessons for Everyone (Headstrong Games)
Assassin's Creed III (Ubisoft Montreal)
Thanks. Overlooked RE and Art Academy, didn't know about Retro's involvement in Mario Kart 7.

Still abysmal. :/

Top Bottom