• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu Japan 2012 Top 100 Games

Yes, first shipment was about 850k.

20/04/90 [NFC] Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light - ? / 329.000
14/03/92 [NFC] Fire Emblem Gaiden - ? / 325.000
21/01/94 [SFC] Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem - ? / 776.000
14/05/96 [SFC] Fire Emblem: Holy War Story - 228.578 / 429.763 (498.000 from sinobi)
28/08/99 [SFC] Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 - 30.104 / 158.695
29/03/02 [GBA] Fire Emblem: The Sealed Sword - 126.267 / 345.574
25/04/03 [GBA] Fire Emblem: Blazing Sword - 109.429 / 265.286
07/10/04 [GBA] Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones - 146.026 / 246.719
20/04/05 [GCN] Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance - 100.357 / 156.413
22/02/07 [WII] Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn - 73.337 / 171.924
07/08/08 [NDS] Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon - 147.704 / 252.309
15/07/10 [NDS] Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem - Hero of Light and Shadow - 147.045 / 247.248
19/04/12 [3DS] Fire Emblem: Awakening - 242.600 / 453.672

Second / third best selling entry in the series, and probably the most profitable ever with all those DLC.

Takao

Banned
I hope you guys complaining about there being less than 10 non-Japanese games on this list will be crying over this year's best reviewed game not making the equivalent US/EU list.

Persona 4: Golden

gryz

Banned
Only 4 non Japanese games.

How do they get away with this shit?

Japanese people prefer fun games.

seriously though what "amazing" western titles from last year are missing from this list? all the games I bought in 2012 are on that list.

Holy Crap at Concentration Training. It was at like 50K last time I saw it in the charts.

Good on Fire Emblem, Kid Icarus, and Bravely Default.

seriously though what "amazing" western titles from last year are missing from this list? all the games I bought in 2012 are on that list.

You're banned but I'll answer anyways. To be fair a lot of the best outside-of-Japan games this year were download only. There were some good retail ones however: XCOM, Sleeping Dogs, Halo 4, Far Cry 3, Dishonored, Journey had a box (not sure in Japan), Borderlands 2, Mass Effect 3, Max Payne 3, Forza Horizon, Need For Speed Most Wanted, FIFA, SSX and ZombiU.

The Vita had a ton of good games too, but there isn't enough hardware out there for it to chart.

Woah. I had stopped paying attention to video game sales figures almost entirely about 1,5-2 years ago. I had no idea RE6 did that well compared to RE5. The opening week was over 600k!

That's pretty damn mind blowing.

Kenka

Not sure if posted before but the total LTD of all Mario titles in the Top 100 amount to 22,170,379 copies.

That's probably almost as much as the rest of the charts put together.

mujun

I hope you guys complaining about there being less than 10 non-Japanese games on this list will be crying over this year's best reviewed game not making the equivalent US/EU list.

Please link to equivalent list.

You're banned but I'll answer anyways. To be fair a lot of the best outside-of-Japan games this year were download only. There were some good retail ones however: XCOM, Sleeping Dogs, Halo 4, Far Cry 3, Dishonored, Journey had a box (not sure in Japan), Borderlands 2, Mass Effect 3, Max Payne 3, Forza Horizon, Need For Speed Most Wanted, FIFA, SSX and ZombiU.

The Vita had a ton of good games too, but there isn't enough hardware out there for it to chart.

Far Cry 3 isn't out until March here.

Journey had no retail release here.

A lot of those games also had little to no marketing push behind them, whereas COD did.

Shinta

Banned
No it didn't. Under million for numbered FF title is still abysmal. For reference X-2 did over 2 million in Japan.

XIII-2 came out in 2011 in Japan. It was the best selling game for consoles of 2011. What you're looking at on this list is the sales it had in 2012.

XIII-2 came out in 2011 in Japan. It was the best selling game for consoles of 2011. What you're looking at on this list is the sales it had in 2012.

Final Fantasy XIII-2 bombed hard. You could find it in the bargain bin two weeks after the launch. It performed a lot worse than the first one.

Bruno MB

But that was according to Media Create, right? Did we get the shipment from Famitsu?
Famitsu always showed the game higher:

MC:

[PS3] Final Fantasy XIII-2 # <RPG> (Square Enix) {2011.12.15} (¥7.980) - 524.217 / NEW <62,06%>

Dengeki:

[PS3] Final Fantasy XIII-2 (Square Enix) - 526,544 / NEW [ST: ~60% => ~878,000]

Famitsu:

[PS3] Final Fantasy XIII-2 # <RPG> (Square Enix) {2011.12.15} (¥7.980) - 605.660 / NEW

Neither Famitsu nor Square Enix made public its shipment number. Famitsu has certainly Final Fantasy XIII-2 with higher first week sales but that doesn't give us any clue about its shipment number. Anyway, I'm sure that the amount doesn't differ too much from the figure provided by Media Create.

[NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo) {2006.05.25} - 133.235 / 6.402.912

Nice to have an update on its current total sales. It is probably going to cross the six and a half million mark, that's so brutal. Unfortunately Super Mario Bros is out of its reach (6.810.000). I don't think we will ever see a game in Japan with such an astronomical sales figures.

Since this has probably been its last year in the yearly Top 100, it is time remember its complete run.

[NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo) {2006.05.25} - 3.818.214 / 3.818.214

[NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo) {2006.05.25} - 1.176.939 / 4.995.153

[NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo) {2006.05.25} - 377.034 / 5.372.187

[NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo) {2006.05.25} - 287.399 / 5.659.586

[NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo) {2006.05.25} - 355.639 / 6.015.225

[NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo) {2006.05.25} - 254.452 / 6.269.677

[NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo) {2006.05.25} - 133.235 / 6.402.912

Hero

Only 4 non Japanese games.

How do they get away with this shit?

I cannot believe people are coming into this thread and wondering why Japanese people living in Japan are primarily buying Japanese games designed and marketed towards Japanese people. Because obviously they will just start buying western games for no reason.

Shinta

Banned
Final Fantasy XIII-2 bombed hard. You could find it in the bargain bin two weeks after the launch. It performed a lot worse than the first one.

"Bombed hard" as the best selling game of 2011. The whole market is contracting in Japan, and the direct sequels always sell less than an entirely new numbered entry.

I guess every game in 2011 "bombed hard" then?

"Bombed hard" as the best selling game of 2011. The whole market is contracting in Japan, and the direct sequels always sell less than an entirely new numbered entry.

I guess every game in 2011 "bombed hard" then?

You don't have to take the absolute numbers and judge them. You have to see the context. Final Fantasy XIII-2 was overshipped, and this led retailers to slash the price as soon as they could. The game was in the bargain bins soon after its launch, which is not a good sign per se; currently, you can buy it on Amazon for 2100 yen, 1/4 its original price. Being the best selling game for home console in 2011 doesn't mean anything. Also: the ratio between X and X-2 was much higher than the ratio between XIII and XIII-2, just to have a reference.

Shinta

Banned
You don't have to take the absolute numbers and judge them. You have to see the context. Final Fantasy XIII-2 was overshipped, and this led retailers to slash the price as soon as they could. The game was in the bargain bins soon after its launch, which is not a good sign per se; currently, you can buy it on Amazon for 2100 yen, 1/4 its original price. Being the best selling game for home console in 2011 doesn't mean anything. Also: the ratio between X and X-2 was much higher than the ratio between XIII and XIII-2, just to have a reference.

Being the best selling game doesn't mean anything? That's a ridiculous position to take. I honestly don't know how anyone could possibly back that up.

It's always funny to me how finding the game cheap at retail is supposed to be insulting, but Steam sales pushing games for 80% off is just progressive, forward-thinking retail.

Being the best selling game doesn't mean anything? That's a ridiculous position to take. I honestly don't know how anyone could possibly back that up.

It's always funny to me how finding the game cheap at retail is supposed to be insulting, but Steam sales pushing games for 80% off is just progressive, forward-thinking retail.

Being the best selling game on home console (so not in the entire market) doesn't mean a lot when:
-it didn't meet publisher's expectations;
-it didn't meet retailers' expectations;
-many of its units were sold at a price way below the retail price;
-it sold way, way less than its predecessor, and worser than the most similar example in the series (X->X-2).

Also: price cut by retailers because the game doesn't sell is something different than Steam sales, which is a digital market, so it' completely different to begin with.

Great argument there. Clearly a failure, which is why a 3rd game is coming out.

Guess every game released in 2011 was a failure.

No.
For example, Capcom projected to sell 1.2 million Monster Hunter 3G on 3DS; the game eventually sold close to 1.6 million. That's not a failure.
Another example: Bravely Default: Flying Fairy sold "just" 280.000 units, more or less. A failure? No, because expectations were much lower, indeed the game has been sold-out for weeks, and that forced Square Enix to put it on the eShop so to not losing the positive word-of-mouth.
Etc.

vareon

You might want to read on how retail works...

Shinta

Banned
You might want to read on how retail works...

Read what? Overshipped doesn't matter to the publishers. If they could sell that much to retailers, the money is made. Japan also doesn't have price protection like the US where they sell copies back to the publishers.

Did it meet their projections? No. But clearly it still made enough for them to make a new game. How anyone can call it a failure, I don't know. Do failures usually get sequels?

Read what? Overshipped doesn't matter to the publishers. If they could sell that much to retailers, the money is made. Japan also doesn't have price protection like the US where they sell copies back to the publishers.

Did it meet their projections? No. But clearly it still made enough for them to make a new game. How anyone can call it a failure, I don't know. Do failures usually get sequels?

Yes and no.
Final Fantasy XIII-2 surely was a cheap game to make, and Lighting Returns seems even cheaper. Also, developing many games based on the same franchise, they can dilute better the costs. But probably Lighting Returns was greenlighted before XIII-2 was out.

Also: XIII-2 bombed hard also worldwide. It's not that it compensated the poor Japanese sales with strong European or American sales, as XIII did.

Shinta

Banned
Yes and no.
Final Fantasy XIII-2 surely was a cheap game to make, and Lighting Returns seems even cheaper. Also, developing many games based on the same franchise, they can dilute better the costs. But probably Lighting Returns was greenlighted before XIII-2 was out.

Also: XIII-2 bombed hard also worldwide. It's not that it compensated the poor Japanese sales with strong European or American sales, as XIII did.

It sold about as much, or more than Deus Ex: Human Revolution. I think it sold more than Witcher 2 as well. I just don't think it bombed. It picked up sales in the rest of Asia that were stronger than before, and continue to grow. And again, Lightning Returns is coming out in the west too. SQEX has no problem not bringing over things they think won't make money, but LR is still coming over.

I see your points, but I think it's clear the game is still profitable for them. You guys are exaggerating how poorly it did.

Bruno MB

How come you didn't mention anything about Medarot 7? xD

[3DS] Medarot 7: Kabuto / Kuwagata (Rocket Company) {2012.09.13} - 107.751 / 107.751

Well, at least it seems that it will manage to sell its first shipment (around 120k).

Petrichor

Fucking UK gamers...only interest in games from their own hemisphere. How do they get away with this :p

East / West is a false dichotomy - the UK top 40 contains games from both american and european publishers, neglecting japanese games. Japan neglects the games of two whole continents, which comprise most of the world's game output, rather than those of a single country.

Orgen

Brain Age at 213.000... I'm sure it has more than 300.000 downloads from the eshop, so who is laughing now Chris? bwahahaha

:(

East / West is a false dichotomy - the UK top 40 contains games from both american and european publishers, neglecting japanese games. Japan neglects the games of two whole continents, which comprise most of the world's game output, rather than those of a single country.

There are a lot more differences between Japanese and western games generally than there are between European and American games. America and Europe are pretty damn similar culturally when it comes to entertainment. It's no wonder that Japan then neglects games from both continents (and actually western games sell more and more each year in Japan).

mujun

Well when you have western game that appeals to japanese audience it can sell. For example Crash 3 did over million in Japan during PS1 era.

There are numerous Japanese games that sell millions upon millions in the West and even the most niche of niche Japanese games get a lot of attention from certain groups of gamers yet the reverse rarely happens.

You put it down to the West not making games that appeal to Japan.

How long can that apply for? Seems to me that your excuse suggests that Japanese people are quite picky making it very hard to tailor something to their taste rather than the case being that Western devs suck at making things that interest Japanese gamers (read broad taste vs narrow taste).

Movies might be a fairly close analogy (just that they broke out years and years ago), many Western movies don't hit Japan but many also do and their is a pretty wide spectrum of stuff including a bunch of action movies packed with shooting and other violence which many try to say doesn't meet Japanese tastes when it comes to games.

I think that in 5 or 10 or 20 years the same thing that happened with movies will happen with games, Japanese people will let go of the stigma they hold (fair enough to a degree, Japan dominated gaming for a long time) and give Western games more of a fair shake.

saichi

Slightly disappointed BDFF hasn't been able to reach 300k yet. I assume accounting for download sales would hit the mark though.

download card sales is already counted.

While overshipping doesn't matter to publisher, it would affect retailer order for future games. Since retailer can barely sell thru the first shipment for FFXIII-2, you could bet that the first shipment for XIII-3 would be a lot smaller.

And even you agree the title is not meeting SE's projection. If failure is too strong a word, we can call it a big disappointment then.

FGMPR

Banned
I know Japanese gaming is utterly dominated by consoles and handhelds and such, but as actual game reviewers, after the year PC gaming has had, how can they honestly be taken seriously as gamers when they don't have a single PC game in their top 100?

Mileena

Banned
I know Japanese gaming is utterly dominated by consoles and handhelds and such, but as actual game reviewers, after the year PC gaming has had, how can they seriously be taken seriously as gamers when they don't have a single PC game in their top 100?
They can't.

Oxx

I know Japanese gaming is utterly dominated by consoles and handhelds and such, but as actual game reviewers, after the year PC gaming has had, how can they honestly be taken seriously as gamers when they don't have a single PC game in their top 100?

Even if Japan had a sizeable PC enclave I don't think the Famitsu chart would be the place to find it.

Manbig

The gap between the top 3 and the rest is pretty nuts. Nintendo's stranglehold on the video game software market never ceases to amaze me.

Top Bottom