• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu Readers pick Demon's Souls as the best PlayStation 3 game ever

Aters

A fine list, though Famitsu poll is usually very small.

Umbasa.

I hook my PS3 back up every now and again just to play DeS.

That said, I believe FF13 got a 37/40 and the reception in Japan was really good, so I'm not surprised it's high on the list.

FF13 got a 39/10 I think. The reception, however, is not that good at all. The game reached bomba bin price so soon it's not even funny. That said, as the best selling PS3 game in Japan by a HUGE margin, no one should be surprised to see it on the list.

Nier dark souls and demon souls makes me proud of the voters. Would put dark souls above demon souls but that's just preference.

Hope this list is used to decide what to remaster. Time for 4K umbasa.

Raylan

Banned
e3c053-1479935507.jpg

BigEmil

The big hate for FFXIII is undeserved.
The game is great guys not that bad i enjoyed my time with it

MGS4 is way too high on that list.

Every Japanese game is getting an additional +5 bias points from Famitsu since 1999. This is the actual list:

1. The Last of Us
6. Demon’s Souls
9. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
9. Dark Souls
10. Final Fantasy XIII
11. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
11. MAG
12. Grand Theft Auto V
12. NieR
13. Valkyria Chronicles
14. Tales of Vesperia
15. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
15. Dragon’s Dogma: Dark Arisen
16. Call of Duty: Black Ops II
17. Uncharted 3: Drake’s Deception
18. Journey
18. Resonance of Fate
19. Mobile Suit Gundam: Extreme Vs. Full Boost
24. Heavy Rain
24. Yakuza 5
25. Battlefield 3
25. Mainichi Issho
26. Yakuza 4
27. Lost Planet
28. Persona 5
28. Assassin’s Creed II
29. Diablo III
30. Resident Evil 5
31. Gran Turismo 6
32. Tales of Xillia 2

rafa

Neo Member
Glad to see MAG get the recognition it deserves. It may not have been the "Battlefield Killer" people thought it would be, but it was the most fun I had in a multiplayer shooter on the PS3, COD4:MW included. Sure, the maps were generic and uninspired. Yes, the visuals/audio were at or below average. But, epic battles, solid controls and weaponry, and fun game modes made it a great game for me and I couldn't find an experience that replicated what MAG did and, honestly, I still haven't.

If you're wondering why MAG is on there it's because it got the 11th most votes in this particular poll. I'll come back in an hour and answer any other questions you might have.

Raylan

Banned
Sony still too stupid to give fans what they want.

Fans: Give us a Demon's Souls Remaster on PS4, please!
Sony: Fuck you

Fans: Give us a Bloodborne PS4 Pro patch/update, please!
Sony: Fuck you again!

Lothars

They know what's up! I will personally replace DeS with DS1, but it's still great list nonetheless.

edit: ugh why is FF13 so high? >.<
Because it's not a bad game and gets unfairly shit on.

Sony still too stupid to give fans what they want.

Fans: Give us a Demon's Souls Remaster on PS4, please!
Sony: Fuck you

Fans: Give us a Bloodborne PS4 Pro patch/update, please!
Sony: Fuck you again!
I see both of those happening eventually.

Because it's not a bad game and gets unfairly shit on.

That, and critical reception was pretty good

It's really not a bad game. There's problems and more than one aspect annoys me. It's not even a flawed masterpiece, but it's not some huge POS either. I've played a vast number of games far worse. The presentation and gameplay are very good.

Ratrat

Umbasa.

I hook my PS3 back up every now and again just to play DeS.

That said, I believe FF13 got a 37/40 and the reception in Japan was really good, so I'm not surprised it's high on the list.
I dont think the reception was good. Just check user reviews. Its just the best selling game on PS3 by a huge margin. Persona 5 only released a two months ago and was mainley played on PS4 on the other hand.

Also, Final Fantasy 13 is goood!

Zaventem

Excellent choice. Demon's Souls IS the best PS3 game ever. Now...where is the PS4 remaster for this game?

I'm actually scared of a remaster, there are minute details that can be changed and ruin everything, not to mention things that actually might need to be changed in regards to bugs. Then there are the "good" bugs that helped replays for making multiple characters like duping glitch etc. It's far from a simple task. I would hope whoever is doing it is a big fan of the game and at the very least gets some oversight from things fromsoft would actually improve besides image quality, ramerate.

Happy to see Valkyria in that top 10. It was my jpg of the generation hands down. TLoU is the real #1 though. Not just of PS3, but everything that generation.

lupinko

Good pick, was the reason I got a PS3.

Only game missing is The Show.

Iirc they only got the Show very late and the series for official Japanese release is PSN digital only and is just the NA version. So there's no localization for the game.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Glad to see MAG get a mention, was a great MP game 6 1/2yrs ago that was quickly forgotten once Bad Company 2 came out a few months later.

Top Bottom