• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu thread of Persona 4 raditude

Vorador

Banned
ethelred said:
Chrono Trigger was also really short, and it got increasingly shorter with each playthrough.

Sure, but it had a shitload of different endings. It was also part of his charm.

Nevertheless, SMT3 had also multiple endings and it was one of the best jrpgs on the ps2.

mollipen

See, I've never seen multiple endings as "I have to see them all!" (Though I can certainly understand that feeling.) Instead, I like multiple endings for the fact that I then feel like my actions during the game actually have an effect on how things will end up, instead of no matter what I do, the end result always being the exact same thing.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
new stuff about 2ndG? I wonder what

... new weapon type!? :O

See, I've never seen multiple endings as "I have to see them all!" (Though I can certainly understand that feeling.) Instead, I like multiple endings for the fact that I then feel like my actions during the game actually have an effect on how things will end up, instead of no matter what I do, the end result always being the exact same thing.
thats the point of multiple endings.

Yama

I like the main character, he reminds me of Tatsuya Suou and Sudou combined. The art also reminds me more of P2 than the last installment.

suou.gif
sudou.gif

Danj

Mefisutoferesu said:
Unfortunately, I can't find anything, so has anyone seen the Super Robot Taisen Portable Alpha game for the PSP? Is it a port or an original?

Are you sure you didn't mean Super Robot Taisen Advance Portable? It's an enhanced port of SRW Advance.

Danj said:
Are you sure you didn't mean Super Robot Taisen Advance Portable? It's an enhanced port of SRW Advance.
Bloops, yeah... when I was reading the text I saw an "A" and made it Alpha instead of Advance. Thanks, Danj.

Mandoric

Banned
Assuming the game takes place between 2000 and 2025, it could feasibly be:
2005, 2011, 2016, 2022.
Betting 2011---it's been two years since P3, so.

Yama

Finally got my hands on the issue. This game looks incredible. Only one dungeon is shown, but it looks to be unique (P1/2) - not the Tartarus style/method, at least that's what I'm hoping for. The rest of the area design looks great. It's out of the city, but far from farm land. The young, hip Persona style is still intact. Malls, school and social environments are there and I personally enjoy the smaller town setting. The weather is a nice touch, if anything beyond just gameplay, it'll help change the familiar settings a bit throughout the game. The artwork is definitely more like P2 than P3 was, and the game looks to use the exact graphics engine as P3. Proboably no widescreen. Awesome stuff, it really looks incredible.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Fuck yes, can't wait for Persona 4, PS2 just won't die.

Not a huge fan of multiple endings for reason of time constraints, but eh, I'll find 'em somehow.

shidoshi said:
Honestly, it would be nice to give people the option, or even go so far as to make the character selectable between male and female, changing entirely how social links react to you (unless you decide to go the gay/les route). If you want to be completely ghetto about it, you could do nothing more than tack a few extra "relationship" events on to the end of a social link once it has hit 10.

So, say, you max out your Gourmet King link, then you could decide to engage in a few extra special optional events to work your way to being his favorite food.

(I'd also love to see social links that end up involving somebody else instead of you. Man did I want to hook that one girl up with Mitsuru so bad. *heh*)

Oh, you mean the obsessed girl (not the stalker) outside the door?

Yama said:
Finally got my hands on the issue. This game looks incredible. Only one dungeon is shown, but it looks to be unique (P1/2) - not the Tartarus style/method, at least that's what I'm hoping for. The rest of the area design looks great. It's out of the city, but far from farm land. The young, hip Persona style is still intact. Malls, school and social environments are there and I personally enjoy the smaller town setting. The weather is a nice touch, if anything beyond just gameplay, it'll help change the familiar settings a bit throughout the game. The artwork is definitely more like P2 than P3 was, and the game looks to use the exact graphics engine as P3. Proboably no widescreen. Awesome stuff, it really looks incredible.
The more I'm hearing about the countryside setting the more I'm liking it. Someone said it also takes place at a college? Sounds awesome.

Edit: Nope still high school but awesome nonetheless.:D

mollipen

vas_a_morir said:
Oh, you mean the obsessed girl (not the stalker) outside the door?

Yeah, the one who does nothing but talk about Mitsuru. I felt bad about building my social link with Mitsuru, when I could have been spending that time convincing her of all of the positive elements of girl on girl love. *heh*

ram

batbeg said:
And The Sky Crawlers looks pretty good, I think.

looks just like the ps2 ace combat games with retro WWII planes - meh - cant imagine thats any fun with the wiimoote. ace combat team going down the drain confirmed...

shidoshi said:
Yeah, the one who does nothing but talk about Mitsuru. I felt bad about building my social link with Mitsuru, when I could have been spending that time convincing her of all of the positive elements of girl on girl love. *heh*

Yeah, totally. The stalker saga was one of the more unusual parts of the game. Didn't really make sense.

It's on Youtube. Man, I don't even know what's allowed anymore--can I link it? Pretty sure anyone can find it by simply typign in Persona 4.

Anyway, looks great! It really DOES look a lot like P3....but, still, pretty neat!

Danj

Yama said:
Finally got my hands on the issue.

Any chance you can rip that trailer for us?

EDIT: nevermind, I see the post above says it's been Youtubed already. Still, high-res version would be nice.

EDIT 2: The thing that's on youtube I'm pretty sure it is NOT the official trailer we are looking for, because it has English text captions and stuff.

Bebpo

Banned
Error said:
nah just find it hilarious, because he eats up N1 games that dont look much better than your average saturn game even on PS3.

and P4 looks better than P3 to me graphically.

What the hell do graphics have to do with anything? I have no problem with P4 being on PS2 with the same graphics. I wanted a new game.

Look at Atlus last gen.

SMT3 -> DDS -> Devil Summoner -> Trauma Center -> P3 -> EO. Every game from them was something new and exciting. Something that hadn't been done before or at least not in a long time. So it was great looking forward to these all new HQ Atlus titles to see how awesome they'd be.

Flash to the last 2 years of Atlus:

Trauma Center 2 -> EO2 -> Persona 4. Each time, same old great game with major improvements. Sure it means quality titles since they're improving on an already great base game, but the excitement of "Oh man, new game, what's it going to play like???" is gone. It's just going to play the same but better. If Devil Summoner 2 ever comes out (say next game from Atlus R&D1), it'll just further this "Hi, we're out of ideas right now, so we'll just keep doing what works" theme. More great games for everyone? Sure, but somewhere along the line, the risk-taking, exciting Atlus has become just another Japanese conservative company and that's really sad and disappointing IMO, especially in this Japanese market where more and more companies are being afraid to take risks and do something different.

Yasser

some character info from rpgfan.com:

"Atlus today revealed some initial details regarding Persona 4 for PlayStation 2. The development team is aiming to create an RPG and a suspense drama at the same time. The game will be a completely new game with a new story and setting. Compared to 2006's Persona 3, the newest series installment will feature more possible endings and a size 1.5 times larger than its prequel. This should translate to 60 or 70 hours of play time. Changing weather has also been added. Weather effects will play an important role in the game, as murders for instance will happen during foggy weather. Players will be able to summon more than 180 different Persona. The game's protagonist is a second year high school student living in a provincial city. His parents are working abroad, hence he is living with relatives of his mother. Two of the protagonist's classmates are Yousuke Hanamura and Chie Satonaka. The former is quite a show-off, but still has very few friends whom he can talk to frankly. The latter is a lively and sociable young lady who loves to chat."
- http://www.rpgfan.com/news/2008/1083.html

Persona 4 will be available in Japan on July 10th for 6,980 yen ($71.77 USD).

mollipen

vas_a_morir said:
Yeah, totally. The stalker saga was one of the more unusual parts of the game. Didn't really make sense.

Bit of a brain lock, but now I know what you're talking about when you mentioned the stalker. That whole storyline just cracked me up, how it progressed and how it ended up. I love the completely missable little things like that that Atlus put into the game.

Bebpo said:
What the hell do graphics have to do with anything? I have no problem with P4 being on PS2 with the same graphics. I wanted a new game.

Look at Atlus last gen.

SMT3 -> DDS -> Devil Summoner -> Trauma Center -> P3 -> EO.

Trauma Center 2 -> EO2 -> Persona 4.

Not sure about EO, but I think Trauma Center and Persona has been their most successful games as of late. I think they're just milkin' it a little, and that's fine by me, as long as the quality is great. I'm sure they have SMT4 is secret development that will blow our minds.

Evlar

Banned
The more I think about it the more I like the "weather" mechanic. I assume it will more-or-less replace the moon-phase mechanic from P3. You knew exactly when the next major event and deadline would occur in P3: 28 days from the last, and there was even a little countdown on the HUD to keep track of the lunar schedule. This isn't a criticism, one of the charms of P3 is how they integrated that countdown into both halves of the RPG, the social and the combat sides.

Using the weather in place of the moon removes some of the clockwork certainty to the game's schedule while still retaining the in-game mechanic providing structure to the story. I can imagine having an in-game weather forecast that only gives you a glimpse five to seven days into the future, rather than the entire month like P3. Fog doesn't have to happen on a regular schedule: it could occur two weeks from today, and then the next in five weeks, and then nine days after that. You would get a little warning from the weather forecast of course... but much of the time you may be looking at a forecast full of sunny or rainy or snowy days preparing for fog that you can't see coming yet. It adds to the suspense.

... I'm just riffing on the idea. Atlus may tie it into the older system (fog occurs evey new moon) or not provide weather forecasts (Surprise! It's foggy today!) or give some supernatural mechanism that allows the main character to know when the fog is coming far in advance (only you know that it'll be foggy again in 35 days).

zurra

RPGfan said:
The game's protagonist is a second year high school student living in a provincial city. His parents are working abroad, hence he is living with relatives of his mother. Two of the protagonist's classmates are Yousuke Hanamura and Chie Satonaka. The former is quite a show-off, but still has very few friends whom he can talk to frankly. The latter is a lively and sociable young lady who loves to chat.
Junpei and Yukari round 2?

wsippel

Banned
ram said:
looks just like the ps2 ace combat games with retro WWII planes - meh - cant imagine thats any fun with the wiimoote. ace combat team going down the drain confirmed...
Yeah, because you can really analyze the graphics using stamp sized screenshots on a photographed magazine page.

Error

Bebpo said:

Look at Atlus last gen.

SMT3 -> DDS -> Devil Summoner -> Trauma Center -> P3 -> EO. Every game from them was something new and exciting. Something that hadn't been done before or at least not in a long time. So it was great looking forward to these all new HQ Atlus titles to see how awesome they'd be.

Trauma Center 2 -> EO2 -> Persona 4. Each time, same old great game with major improvements. Sure it means quality titles since they're improving on an already great base game, but the excitement of "Oh man, new game, what's it going to play like???" is gone. It's just going to play the same but better. If Devil Summoner 2 ever comes out (say next game from Atlus R&D1), it'll just further this "Hi, we're out of ideas right now, so we'll just keep doing what works" theme. More great games for everyone? Sure, but somewhere along the line, the risk-taking, exciting Atlus has become just another Japanese conservative company and that's really sad and disappointing IMO, especially in this Japanese market where more and more companies are being afraid to take risks and do something different.
devil summoner=bomb
DDS=bomb

of those title you listed only SMT3 and P3 were successful (I dont count TC and EO because those were on nintendo platforms). who cares if its more of the same, I just want a quality game which Im sure to get.

plus this nothing new, the problem is that you started playing atlus games during the PS2 era and you suddenly think they were about trying new things. well let me inform you that no.

look at:
SMT1--->SMT2
Devil Summoner--->Soul Hackers
Persona 1--->Persona 2

research first before posting, kthx.

noi5e

Yama said:
I like the main character, he reminds me of Tatsuya Suou and Sudou combined. The art also reminds me more of P2 than the last installment.

I thought the main guy was the Akihiko-ish looking fellow with the dorky haircut.

*does aigis' voice* PERSONAAA!!!!

shidoshi said:
Bit of a brain lock, but now I know what you're talking about when you mentioned the stalker. That whole storyline just cracked me up, how it progressed and how it ended up. I love the completely missable little things like that that Atlus put into the game.

Right. I made sure to look for allt he characters for their updates as time went on. Totally GROSS game.

Red Blaster said:
Story sounds cool, consider my interest piqued. Hurry the fark up Atlus USA.

And please add widescreen.

The sad thing is I'll be studying abroad in Japan before we ever get it in America. I prefer English tekst. I have a feeling we may never see it, that's why you gotta buy FES!

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Junpei should be the star of Persona 4. And 5. and 6. And 7. Best character everrrrrr

dunnnunununnna! Junpei has LEVELED UP!

ram

wsippel said:
Yeah, because you can really analyze the graphics using stamp sized screenshots on a photographed magazine page.

LOL - you are expecting ps3/xbox360 visuals from wii??? :lol they are using the ace combat ps2 engine.

The Sphinx said:
The more I think about it the more I like the "weather" mechanic. I assume it will more-or-less replace the moon-phase mechanic from P3. You knew exactly when the next major event and deadline would occur in P3: 28 days from the last, and there was even a little countdown on the HUD to keep track of the lunar schedule. This isn't a criticism, one of the charms of P3 is how they integrated that countdown into both halves of the RPG, the social and the combat sides.

Using the weather in place of the moon removes some of the clockwork certainty to the game's schedule while still retaining the in-game mechanic providing structure to the story. I can imagine having an in-game weather forecast that only gives you a glimpse five to seven days into the future, rather than the entire month like P3. Fog doesn't have to happen on a regular schedule: it could occur two weeks from today, and then the next in five weeks, and then nine days after that. You would get a little warning from the weather forecast of course... but much of the time you may be looking at a forecast full of sunny or rainy or snowy days preparing for fog that you can't see coming yet. It adds to the suspense.

... I'm just riffing on the idea. Atlus may tie it into the older system (fog occurs evey new moon) or not provide weather forecasts (Surprise! It's foggy today!) or give some supernatural mechanism that allows the main character to know when the fog is coming far in advance (only you know that it'll be foggy again in 35 days).
Interesting idea. I think one picture showed a calendar with various weather symbols (cloudy, sunny, etc) on each day, but I like where you're going with that. The idea of forecasts being wrong and fog rolling in on a day that should have been sunny just sounds awesome.

noonche

Error said:
devil summoner=bomb
DDS=bomb

of those title you listed only SMT3 and P3 were successful (I dont count TC and EO because those were on nintendo platforms). who cares if its more of the same, I just want a quality game which Im sure to get.

plus this nothing new, the problem is that you started playing atlus games during the PS2 era and you suddenly think they were about trying new things. well let me inform you that no.

look at:
SMT1--->SMT2
Persona 1--->Persona 2

Well it's not so hard to draw a line through most of Atlus's RPG games. DDM1&2->SMT1,2,If...->Devil Summoner, Soul Hackers, Persona 1->Persona 2->SMT3->DDS1&2.

NINE, Devil Summoner: Raidou and Persona 3 are really the only ones to not build heavily on previous installment's gameplay.

Error

alske said:
Well it's not so hard to draw a line through most of Atlus's RPG games. DDM1&2->SMT1,2,If...->Devil Summoner, Soul Hackers, Persona 1->Persona 2->SMT3->DDS1&2.

NINE, Devil Summoner: Raidou and Persona 3 are really the only ones to not build heavily on previous installment's gameplay.
exactly.

hell SMT if.. even re-used the same music...

Mamesj

Banned
Error said:
devil summoner=bomb
DDS=bomb

look at:
SMT1--->SMT2
Persona 1--->Persona 2

acording to the NPD---
Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne - 54k
Shin Megami Tensei Digital Devil Saga - 50k
Shin Megami Tensei Digital Devil Saga 2 - 39k
Shin Megami Tensei Devil Summoner - 33k
Shin Megami Tensei Persona 3 - 71k

Not exactly bombs. and Nocturne + Persona 3 weren't that far ahead.

I didnt like DDS at all, but Persona 3 is my favorite RPG in as long as I can remember. Have yet to play DS or Nocturne but own both.

Error

Mamesj said:
acording to the NPD---
Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne - 54k
Shin Megami Tensei Digital Devil Saga - 50k
Shin Megami Tensei Digital Devil Saga 2 - 39k
Shin Megami Tensei Devil Summoner - 33k
Shin Megami Tensei Persona 3 - 71k

Not exactly bombs. and Nocturne + Persona 3 weren't that far ahead.
I was referring to JP sales

Top Bottom