• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu Week 15, 2023 (Apr 03 -Apr 09)

Famitsu Sales: Week 15, 2023 (Apr 03 - Apr 09)

SOFTWARE

01./01. [NSW] Kirby's Return to Dream Land Deluxe <ACT> (Nintendo) {2023.02.24} (¥5.980) - 16.458 / 373.615 (-22%)
02./03. [PS4] Resident Evil 4 # <ADV> (Capcom) {2023.03.24} (¥7.990) - 11.472 / 113.447 (-31%)
03./07. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe <RCE> (Nintendo) {2017.04.28} (¥5.980) - 9.991 / 5.234.484 (-4%)
04./05. [NSW] Pokemon Scarlet / Violet # <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) {2022.11.18} (¥5.980) - 9.812 / 4.981.875 (-21%)
05./06. [NSW] Splatoon 3 <ACT> (Nintendo) {2022.09.09} (¥5.980) - 8.712 / 3.978.347 (-19%)
06./02. [PS5] Resident Evil 4 # <ADV> (Capcom) {2023.03.24} (¥7.990) - 8.301 / 116.473 (-55%)
07./08. [NSW] Minecraft # <ADV> (Microsoft Game Studios) {2018.06.21} (¥3.600) - 7.718 / 3.098.860 (-5%)
08./10. [NSW] Nintendo Switch Sports # <SPT> (Nintendo) {2022.04.29} (¥4.980) - 5.556 / 1.050.826 (-22%)
09./12. [NSW] Super Smash Bros. Ultimate # <FTG> (Nintendo) {2018.12.07} (¥7.200) - 4.916 / 5.160.598 (-5%)
10./14. [NSW] Mario Party Superstars <ETC> (Nintendo) {2021.10.29} (¥5.980) - 4.019 / 1.208.034 (-4%)

Top 10

NSW - 8
PS4 - 1
PS5 - 1

HARDWARE

vTKZTFp.jpg

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
The PS5 continues it's downward trend. Probably it still gonna take a few months until we see it's true baseline. It should estabilize next week due to Golden Week until it resumes it's downward trend.
Wait, it's up? Well damn. Ignore. Switch Number 1!
They are holding for ff16 launch.

Nautilus

Banned
Will people have a problem with me this week if I talk about PS5 hardware numbers and be positive about it?

No? Huh, wonder why...

Anyways, to the topic at hand:

This PS5 hardware bump is certainly surprising! In a good way, of course. As it has been a Sony tradition during the 9th gen so far, even with the hardware bump the software doesn't accompany it. Even the PS5 version of RE 4 Remake is lower than the PS4 version. Which makes this bump a little head scratching. But this may mean that the baseline isn't as low as I think. In a few weeks we will have Golden Week, which may mean that PS5 sales may stabilize between 30k and 40k. We will see.

Other than that, nothing really new and exciting is happening. Zelda can't come soon enough!

MrA

Banned
PS5 is up again. Hard to predict a baseline at this point but 40k would be great.
seems to be hovering in that area, last 4 weeks averaged out to 40.1k
ps4 numbers tell me it probably had a good 10 million worldwide in demand left back in 2020, but that ancient history now
were do these 3ds's come from? stupid region locking it was Nintendo's most annoying decision ever

zedinen

PlayStation sales in Japan have increased 25.8% since the start of the generation

FY1

PS5 600,966
PS4 491,889

FY2
PS5 927,217
PS4 785,094

FY3
PS5 1,707,850
PS4 1,308,116

FY4
PS5 46,205 (LTD 3,282,238) + 25.8 %
PS4 23,095 (LTD 2,608,194)

Famitsu- PS5, Week 15
2023 YTD 904,849 (Week 15 46,205)
2022 YTD 316,072 (Week 15 11,224)

Last edited:

Kerotan

OH MY GAWD PlayStation Quintiple bend me over and swing me ROUND yeah BABY! The unstoppable beast from the east let's Go! In like a goose Hung like a moose oh yeah!

Haha 😂

In all seriousness.. LET'S GO BABY!

Very very impressed with HW sales this week I did not expect it one bit. Ps5 sales very erratic and impossible to predict. What they ship they sell. So let's hope shipments stay high but they should because otherwise SE would probably never make a big ps5 exclusive ever again.

Will people have a problem with me this week if I talk about PS5 hardware numbers and be positive about it?

No? Huh, wonder why...

Anyways, to the topic at hand:

This PS5 hardware bump is certainly surprising! In a good way, of course. As it has been a Sony tradition during the 9th gen so far, even with the hardware bump the software doesn't accompany it. Even the PS5 version of RE 4 Remake is lower than the PS4 version. Which makes this bump a little head scratching. But this may mean that the baseline isn't as low as I think. In a few weeks we will have Golden Week, which may mean that PS5 sales may stabilize between 30k and 40k. We will see.

Other than that, nothing really new and exciting is happening. Zelda can't come soon enough!

I know this was probably painful for you to type, so congrats on getting through the whole post. It's a big step forward, you should feel proud 😁👍

This PS5 hardware bump is certainly surprising!
Why surprising?

Maybe Sony hasn't been shipping as many units to Japan lately and they had more for this past week? Maybe they are saving up for Golden Week?

Clearly "the baseline has yet to be found! omg it'll probably be 20k" didn't work out very well, since it increased this much without a new release...maybe it's not widely available as some people predicted it to be?

Almost 50k a week is actually amazing for a week with no releases, and specially since it's doing better than any PS console since PS2 and PSP almost 2 decades (!!!) years ago. All this before games like FFXVI are out. If Persona 6 is indeed exclusive like it's rumored as well, then it's another big get for Japan as well. Stellar Blade could see some numbers later this year, as well as Silent Hill 2, and next year with FFVII Rebirth as well.

It's looking more and more likely that the PS5 will end this generation ahead of both PS4 and PS3 in Japan. In a time they barely touch home consoles, you can't spin these PS5 numbers as something negative. No one predicted this just 3 years ago...

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
OH MY GAWD PlayStation Quintiple bend me over and swing me ROUND yeah BABY! The unstoppable beast from the east let's Go! In like a goose Hung like a moose oh yeah!

Haha 😂

In all seriousness.. LET'S GO BABY!

Very very impressed with HW sales this week I did not expect it one bit. Ps5 sales very erratic and impossible to predict. What they ship they sell. So let's hope shipments stay high but they should because otherwise SE would probably never make a big ps5 exclusive ever again.
I love you man! 🤣🤣

Nautilus

Banned
Why surprising?

Maybe Sony hasn't been shipping as many units to Japan lately and they had more for this past week? Maybe they are saving up for Golden Week?

Clearly "the baseline has yet to be found! omg it'll probably be 20k" didn't work out very well, since it increased this much without a new release...maybe it's not widely available as some people predicted it to be?

Almost 50k a week is actually amazing for a week with no releases, and specially since it's doing better than any PS console since PS2 and PSP almost 2 decades (!!!) years ago. All this before games like FFXVI are out. If Persona 6 is indeed exclusive like it's rumored as well, then it's another big get for Japan as well. Stellar Blade could see some numbers later this year, as well as Silent Hill 2, and next year with FFVII Rebirth as well.

It's looking more and more likely that the PS5 will end this generation ahead of both PS4 and PS3 in Japan. In a time they barely touch home consoles, you can't spin these PS5 numbers as something negative. No one predicted this just 3 years ago...
Why isn't it surprising?

The PS5 has been readily available across Japan for a few months now. Even if one retailer had few stock(Amazon), there were plenty others that had. So it's not a stock related. It's been 3 weeks since the last major release, RE 4 Remake, where the PS5 was actually down WOW in that week. Ever since, it has been consistently down. This week not only only one PS5 game made it to top 10, but the PS4 version of RE 4 Remake is actually above the PS5. So hardware is up this week not because of a major release or even game related. Not just that, but software in general remains abysmal, far below of what the PS5 should be selling right now.

So the PS5 just had a seemingly random increase this week for no visible reason. That's why it's surprising.

The baseline being 20k or 40k has not been proven or disproven. Having one better week doesn't help to prove one way or another. It could very well be just an anomaly. Like I have been saying so far, a baseline is only stabilished if the numbers remains steady for a good ammount of time(1 to 2 months) without a good reason to increase or decrease.

And no one predicted that the PS5 might do better than PS4 and PS3 because very little so far is pointing in that direction, as this surge is driven primarely by the repressed demand that the PS5 suffered until 2023. Until the baseline is found, it's hard to conclude it will do better consistently through this year and the next ones enough to beat them. I would also be very interested to also see how physical is doing compared to those two systems.

Ronin_7

Banned
The PS5 continues it's downward trend. Probably it still gonna take a few months until we see it's true baseline. It should estabilize next week due to Golden Week until it resumes it's downward trend.
I don't even know what Golden Week is but this Post is amazing 🤣

Why isn't it surprising?

The PS5 has been readily available across Japan for a few months now.

So the PS5 just had a seemingly random increase this week for no visible reason. That's why it's surprising.

The baseline being 20k or 40k has not been proven or disproven. Having one better week doesn't help to prove one way or another. It could very well be just an anomaly. Like I have been saying so far, a baseline is only stabilished if the numbers remains steady for a good ammount of time(1 to 2 months) without a good reason to increase or decrease.

And no one predicted that the PS5 might do better than PS4 and PS3 because very little so far is pointing in that direction, as this surge is driven primarely by the repressed demand that the PS5 suffered until 2023. Until the baseline is found, it's hard to conclude it will do better consistently through this year and the next ones enough to beat them. I would also be very interested to also see how physical is doing compared to those two systems.
Man your posts are so full of contradictions...

A videogame console doesn't go from 34k to 46k sold from one week to another without a single game release "for no viable reason" unless there was lack of stock. There are explanations, you just don't want to see it for some reason. Maybe some major retailer didn't have units while other did, who knows?

And the PS5 surpasses the other 2 previous Playstation consoles because of "repressed demand"? But...it has outsold 2 consoles that were readily available in every store back then launch aligned for 2 and half years. It has now sold MORE than they did overall launch aligned after 2 and half years. Are you saying that if the PS5 had spent one extra year without being available everywhere, that once it did, it would sell even more units? That makes no sense. If anything had it been available with no shortages it would have sold even more...not less.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
And no one predicted that the PS5 might do better than PS4 and PS3 because very little so far is pointing in that direction
PS5 so far outsold PS4 every FY it's been on the market - so there's been little to nothing pointing in direction it wouldn't do better than PS4.

Woopah

For context, RE4 is doing a lot better on PS5 than RE Village did.

05./01. [PS4] Resident Evil Village # <ADV> (Capcom) {2021.05.08} (¥7.990) - 16.332 / 162.548 <60-80%> (-53%)
22./12. [PS5] Resident Evil Village # <ADV> (Capcom) {2021.05.08} (¥7.990) - 3.377 / 48.173 <60-80%> (-44%)

Transition to the next generation is happening.

Why surprising?

As these numbers show, Japan does touch home consoles. That whole narrative around "Japan only plays handhelds" was false.

Having said that, it is surprising to see the bump in hardware for PS5 this week. One explanation is the console finally being fully available on Amazon. Or it could be that 40k is the new baseline. We'll have to see.

Stupid question, I keep seeing Golden week discussed in these Famitsu thread. What is Golden week and why is it important?
Not a stupid question at all!

Golden Week is a national holiday in Japan and we tend to see sales get a nice boost. Companies will sometimes plan releases for then. This is last year for reference https://www.neogaf.com/threads/fami...t-really-but-switch-sports-dominates.1636529/

This year we have the release of the Zelda OLED and the Mario movie.

HercRaato

For context, RE4 is doing a lot better on PS5 than RE Village did.

05./01. [PS4] Resident Evil Village # <ADV> (Capcom) {2021.05.08} (¥7.990) - 16.332 / 162.548 <60-80%> (-53%)
22./12. [PS5] Resident Evil Village # <ADV> (Capcom) {2021.05.08} (¥7.990) - 3.377 / 48.173 <60-80%> (-44%)

Transition to the next generation is happening.

As these numbers show, Japan does touch home consoles. That whole narrative around "Japan only plays handhelds" was false.

Having said that, it is surprising to see the bump in hardware for PS5 this week. One explanation is the console finally being fully available on Amazon. Or it could be that 40k is the new baseline. We'll have to see.

Not a stupid question at all!

Golden Week is a national holiday in Japan and we tend to see sales get a nice boost. Companies will sometimes plan releases for then. This is last year for reference https://www.neogaf.com/threads/fami...t-really-but-switch-sports-dominates.1636529/

This year we have the release of the Zelda OLED and the Mario movie.
Thanks for the info!

Nautilus

Banned
Man your posts are so full of contradictions...

A videogame console doesn't go from 34k to 46k sold from one week to another without a single game release "for no viable reason" unless there was lack of stock. There are explanations, you just don't want to see it for some reason. Maybe some major retailer didn't have units while other did, who knows?

And the PS5 surpasses the other 2 previous Playstation consoles because of "repressed demand"? But...it has outsold 2 consoles that were readily available in every store back then launch aligned for 2 and half years. It has now sold MORE than they did overall launch aligned after 2 and half years. Are you saying that if the PS5 had spent one extra year without being available everywhere, that once it did, it would sell even more units? That makes no sense. If anything had it been available with no shortages it would have sold even more...not less.
God, you can't see beyong your nose and your own ego, can't you?

I have already said, there are no stock issues in Japan. This excuse is getting ridiculous. It has been proven time and time again that the PS5 is widely available through Japan, just by checking the various online retailors it has(Which are in Japanese). The reason the sales are declining even though the stocks are widely available is because the demand was being met, and what a lot of you guys seemed to be in denial, and kept making excuses for it.

Now it had ONE bump after 6 or 7 weeks, and there you have it, the famous " there was no stock after all" excuse has been proven. And not it had , for one reason or another, an abnormal week. Because nothing supports the fact that there has been an increase in demand. The software sales keeps going down, or are overall on the lower side, and doesn't explain your theory that people were just witing for more stock on Amazon or whatever, but didn't buy a game with it. But sure, they are all playing F2P games lol.

Nautilus

Banned
PS5 so far outsold PS4 every FY it's been on the market - so there's been little to nothing pointing in direction it wouldn't do better than PS4.
Assuming the PS5 keeps this sales trajectory. That's my point. The PS5 barely outsold them, and has a small lead. Let's wait a bit until we cheer this as a given fact.(That will constantly keep ahead of them)

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
God, you can't see beyong your nose and your own ego, can't you?

I have already said, there are no stock issues in Japan. This excuse is getting ridiculous. It has been proven time and time again that the PS5 is widely available through Japan, just by checking the various online retailors it has(Which are in Japanese). The reason the sales are declining even though the stocks are widely available is because the demand was being met, and what a lot of you guys seemed to be in denial, and kept making excuses for it.

Now it had ONE bump after 6 or 7 weeks, and there you have it, the famous " there was no stock after all" excuse has been proven. And not it had , for one reason or another, an abnormal week. Because nothing supports the fact that there has been an increase in demand. The software sales keeps going down, or are overall on the lower side, and doesn't explain your theory that people were just witing for more stock on Amazon or whatever, but didn't buy a game with it. But sure, they are all playing F2P games lol.
If there is no issue or there was no demand issue… how do you explain console sales growth then? How do you explain that in about 4 months it sold 3x the a,ping of consoles it sold in the entire previous year?

John Wick

Where have I read this before...........🤔.............. 🤔

Nautilus

Banned
If there is no issue or there was no demand issue… how do you explain console sales growth then? How do you explain that in about 4 months it sold 3x the a,ping of consoles it sold in the entire previous year?
The selling 3x better was due to pent up demand, as me and most users have been saying so far.

About this week: Nobody knows, and that's why it is so surprising. Japan has currently no stock issues, software doesn't show any growth, and there haven't been any event that would explain any "rush to the stores" that would have made japanese buy more PS5s in this week than the previous ones.

I personally guess this week was just an anomaly: That just by coincidence people went and bought more PS5 than usual. If the numbers return to normal the following weeks, that would be the case. I guess we will have to wait and see.

Woopah

Top 30 is out now. Main points on interest:

• FIFA 23 crosses 100,000 on Switch
  • Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 back in the charts following VTuber promotion
  • Hogwarts Legacy and Octopath 2 are still clinging on (word of mouth seems to be good)
  • GT7 continues to be PS5's best performing evergreen
  • eBaseball still getting a boost from Japan winning the World Baseball Classic (doesn't look like a new entry will come this year.)

Full data below:
  1. [NSW] Kirby’s Return to Dream Land Deluxe (Nintendo, 02/24/23) – 16,458 (373,615)
  2. [PS4] Resident Evil 4 (Capcom, 03/24/23) – 11,472 (113,447)
  3. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Nintendo, 04/28/17) – 9,991 (5,234,484)
  4. [NSW] Pokemon Scarlet / Pokemon Violet (The Pokemon Company, 11/18/22) – 9,812 (4,981,875)
  5. [NSW] Splatoon 3 (Nintendo, 09/09/22) – 8,712 (3,978,347)
  6. [PS5] Resident Evil 4 (Capcom, 03/24/23) – 8,301 (116,473)
  7. [NSW] Minecraft (Microsoft, 06/21/18) – 7,718 (3,098,860)
  8. [NSW] Nintendo Switch Sports (Nintendo, 04/29/22) – 5,5556 (1,050,826)
  9. [NSW] Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Nintendo, 12/07/18) – 4,916 (5,160,598)
  10. [NSW] Mario Party Superstars (Nintendo, 10/29/21) – 4,019 (1,208,034)
  11. [NSW] Winning Post 10 (Koei Tecmo, 03/30/23) – 3,632 (16,611)
  12. [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Nintendo, 03/03/17) – 2,885 (2,158,504)
  13. [NSW] ARK: Survival Evolved (Spike Chunsoft, 02/24/23) – 2,726 (37,703)
  14. [NSW] Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Nintendo, 03/20/20) – 2,656 (7,453,447)
  15. [NSW] Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 Special Price (SEGA, 11/17/22) – 2,621 (49,642)
  16. [NSW] Ring Fit Adventure (Nintendo, 10/18/19) – 2,589 (1,107,731)
  17. [NSW] Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics (Nintendo, 06/05/20) – 2,589 (1,107,731)
  18. [PS5] Hogwarts Legacy (Warner Bros. Games), 02/10/23) – 2,507 (164,349)
  19. [NSW] eBASEBALL Powerful Pro Baseball 2022 (Konami, 04/21/22) – 2,246 (265,637)
  20. [NSW] Momotaro Dentetsu: Showa, Heisei, Reiwa mo Teiban! (Konami, 11/19/20) – 2,009 (2,873,712)
  21. [NSW] Atelier Ryza 3: Alchemist of the End & the Secret Key (Koei Tecmo, 03/23/23) – 1,875 (37,669)
  22. [NSW] Octopath Traveler II (Square Enix, 02/24/23) – 1,846 (88,333)
  23. [PS5] Winning Post 10 (Koei Tecmo, 03/30/23) – 1,785 (8,929)
  24. [NSW] Kirby and the Forgotten Land (Nintendo, 03/25/22) – 1,725 (1,015,239)
  25. [PS4] Winning Post 10 (Koei Tecmo, 03/30/23) – 1,615 (7,673)
  26. [NSW] Taiko no Tatsujin: Rhythm Festival (Bandai Namco, 09/22/22) – 1,586 (166,961)
  27. [NSW] FIFA 23 Legacy Edition (Electronic Arts, 09/30/22) – 1,492 (100,760)
  28. [NSW] Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury (Nintendo, 02/12/21) – 1,466 (1,136,300)
  29. [NSW] Human Fall Flat (Teyon Japan, 06/25/20) – 1,440 (337,263)
  30. [PS5] Gran Turismo 7 (SIE, 03/04/22) – 1,389 (304,020)

Top Bottom