• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft: No Xbox One in Japan this Year: “Tier 2 Country”

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Japanese gaming site 4Gamer still managed to grab an interview and to ask what’s up with Microsoft’s upcoming console in the archipelago of the rising sun.

As part of the interview Microsoft Japan President and CEO Yasuyuki Higuchi confirmed that the Xbox One won’t land on the Japanese shelves any time soon.

"For the launch of Xbox One Japan is a Tier 2 country and not a Tier 1 country, so it’ll come with the second wave, that will be delayed a little bit [compared to North America]."

When the interviewer pressed him to confirm that the console won’t be launched in 2013 he did just that.

"That’s right. It’ll launch after the Tier 1 markets."

Microsoft’s executives knew they were walking on eggshells as they talked to the press, since the Xbox brand isn’t exactly popular in Japan, and when the reporter concluded the interview telling Microsoft Vice President and Executive Officer of the Consumer & Partner Group Haruaki Kayama that he’d wait for further information on Xbox One soon, he responded laughing:

"Yes, so please don’t report too negatively."

http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/07...try-asks-journalist-not-to-report-negatively/

Mik2121

Calling Japan a Tier 2 country... oh well, it's not like they were going to sell any copy of their console to begin with. But yeah, living in Japan myself... I don't plan on buying a Tier 2 console when there's PS4 out there.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
That will teach Japan for not buying Xbox 360 or Xbox original...

Sendou

Calling Japan a Tier 2 country... oh well, it's not like they were going to sell any copy of their console to begin with. But yeah, living in Japan myself... I don't plan on buying a Tier 2 console when there's PS4 out there.

Well it is a Tier 2 country for Xbox. I don't think anyone can argue that. There are actually countries out there that bought 360's and still are considered Tier 2 by Microsoft.

Rajack

So Microsoft, what you're saying is in your corporate eyes, the Japanese are second rate gamers? And you don't expect what little fans you have in that market to be offended... What a crock of shit.

While it's an obvious business oriented move that is highly intelligent.

"Tier 2 Country" isn't going to help anything.

Mik2121

Well it is a Tier 2 country for Xbox. I don't think anyone can argue that. There are actually countries out there that bought 360's and still are considered Tier 2 by Microsoft.
It's not that they consider it a less important market and they need to concentrate their money and business on other countries first, but you don't go around calling countries "Tier 2" when you have costumers there waiting for your console, that's kinda insulting even if they didn't intend it, and that's the issue here :p

stryke

They could have just said it'll launch next year and left it at that.

Not even MS Japan know the right stuff to say.

I can understand that from a business standpoint, but Microsoft is certainly not winning any points with stuff like this. He could have at least worded it better.

Omni

So Microsoft, what you're saying is in your corporate eyes, the Japanese are second rate gamers? And you don't expect what little fans you have in that market to be offended... What a crock of shit.

Talk about pulling something out of your ass. Wow.

They aren't selling that console to anyone but xbox diehards and microsoft employees in japan.

With the PS4 coming out sooner for less money, and undoubtedly with better JP support MS could take a gigantic dump on the japanese flag, light it on fire, and not sell any less consoles.

whether they call it "tier 1" or "tier 2" is entirely irrelevant.

kaUiUPK.jpg

Kolgar

Dat masterful PR.

And all of this from one of the largest and richest companies in the world.

But apparently, these days, not one of the smartest.

Into

I cannot blame them for that, they have no chance in Japan no matter what they do at this point. I doubt they will be funding any exclusive JRPGs this time around and just let Sony do it if they want to.

Radec

"MS: The Xbox One will be released in Japan next year."

There ya go Mr. Higuchi. See how easy that was?
KuGsj.gif

JDSN

Banned
Yikes, this might be the first situation where that "Im an expert" meme ends up being true, what a poor wording.

Well I guess it's noteworthy that the original interview is in Japanese. Something lost in translation etc.
樋口泰行氏 said:
日本はXboxの展開においてTier 2(≒優先順位2番手)であり,Tier 1(≒最優先)にはなっていません。
Should be pretty clear even if you can't read Japanese. I can, the translation is fine.

So when will they start calling the next set of regions Third World?
The way they worded that, you could almost imagine this being on the back of the box at launch.

RPGamer92

Banned
This probably won't even break a million units in Japan since MS probably won't try to get exclusive JRPGs for the system like they did 360.

Mik2121

Edit: Uhm, now that I see it, this was on a Japanese site. I wonder what word was used at first, because maybe the Tier 2 thing was just on the translation...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom