• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Windows Central] Microsoft and Xbox announced 'Marvel's Blade' at The Game Awards — but could it also be coming to PlayStation?

I would argue that Tomb Raider is a much bigger IP in relation to Uncharted than Blade in relation to Spider-Man.

In terms of X Men I would say Wolverine is X Men, and Insomniac are making that game.

No doubt there are reasons to be excited but Blade is a minor Marvel character. Arkane Lyon raises the interest level, even if I personally disliked Deathloop.

But are you trying to spin Blade as some sort of A or even B lister for Marvel? Come on.

That's why I said no more an answer.

X-Men is much bigger than Wolverine. Wolverine is the second most popular Marvel character, but X-Men is a bigger property overall, and it opens things up for a lot more gameplay options.

This has been gone over 10,000 times here. Colombia Pictures has the MOVIE rights to Spider-Man and TV rights for live action longer than 45 minutes. Everything else, including merchandising and games, Disney owns.

I hate that this still has to be clarified 20 years later... it's infuriating.

Ar¢tos

the downplaying of Blade is downright hilarious and telling
Downplaying..... BLADE?!?
LMAO
Talking smack of Batman or Superman could be considered downplaying, but Blade?

He should be lucky people are talking about him at all!
Last time I heard of him was 2004, nearly 20 years ago when the shitty 3rd movie was released.
That cast was completely obnoxious.

Only it isn't super low, obviously. The announcement stole the show and has Sony fanboys port begging and thinking a first party Microsoft studio is going to develop and brand new IP that will also hit PlayStation. And you call me delusional.

To add: the new Blade will also be developed by a prestigious dev house with a well known pedigree. You can try to downplay the announcement as nothing burger all you want. Personally I think you're attempting to prepare yourself for disappointment and projecting when it's announced it isn't coming to other platforms. Do you bro.

I see you live in one of the other universes. Look at the views for Blade and OD on YouTube. Super low. They didn't cut through at all.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
That's why I said no more an answer.

X-Men is much bigger than Wolverine. Wolverine is the second most popular Marvel character, but X-Men is a bigger property overall, and it opens things up for a lot more gameplay options.

You can’t really make an X Men game unless it’s some strategy type game. It’s never going to hit the big leagues, so really you gotta pick your characters.

Wolverine is it, and there will be other mutants in the game.

You can’t really make an X Men game unless it’s some strategy type game. It’s never going to hit the big leagues, so really you gotta pick your characters.

Wolverine is it, and there will be other mutants in the game.

You can't make an X-Men game unless it is a strategy-type game? Where are you getting this?

Who knew an IP like Blade could produce so much salt. When was it last relevant anyway?

I suspect Arkane chose the IP because they are interested in the character and Parisian setting, not "potential sales".

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I see you live in one of the other universes. Look at the views for Blade and OD on YouTube. Super low. They didn't cut through at all.

The hell you talking about?

The Blade trailer has 3 million views just on the Marvel channel's upload.

It's the most viewed trailer from the games shown at the show from what I can see. The second highest is Jurassic Park.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, why isn't it a good metric? You said the game didn't break through on Youtube. It very clearly did.

Stop shifting goalposts lol

Xbox is a good metric because it's a gaming channel. People who are subscribed are more likely to buy games.

I'm subscribed to Star Wars and I've watched all the trailers they put up but I don't buy the games.

Not all engagement is equal.

It needs to cut through with a gaming audience to be successful. Surely you understand that.

'lol'

Last edited:

adamsapple

Xbox is a good metric because it's a gaming channel. People who are subscribed are more likely to buy games.

I'm subscribed to Star Wars and I've watched all the trailers they put up but I don't buy the games.

It needs to cut through with a gaming audience to be successful. Surely you understand that.

'lol'

Who cares about your purchasing history, it's irrelevant. You said Blade's trailers had 'super low' views on YT, which is factually wrong. It's the most viewed trailer out of anything at the show.

You might as well go back and edit your post and add qualifiers that when you say YouTube, you mean just a very specific YouTube channel.

Who cares about your purchasing history, it's irrelevant. You said Blade's trailers had 'super low' views on YT, which is factually wrong. It's the most viewed trailer out of anything at the show.

You might as well go back and edit your post and add qualifiers that when you say YouTube, you mean just a very specific YouTube channel.

Is my main point wrong? No.

It needs to engage with the gaming audience. It's a tired, C-tier at best IP on the worst performing platform (probably).

Wrong? Nope.

The only people bleating success are the green rats chest thumping because they've got a marvel game.

Those of us thinking about this think it's an odd choice, with an odd developer.

Hope it's good, but it hasn't cut through and I'd be surprised if it does.

It also feels like it'll be next gen.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Is my main point wrong? No.

It needs to engage with the gaming audience. It's a tied, C-tier at best IP on the worst performing platform (probably).

Wrong? Nope.

Yes, your main point was the game having a low reception on youtube. That's wrong.

Also, just because you didn't buy a star wars game that you saw the trailer for doesn't mean it's the same case for the rest of the gaming audience.

I doubt you actually looked it up before posting and made a shot in the dark. Hopefully you will next time.

The only people bleating success are the green rats chest thumping because they've got a marvel game.

Ease up on the fanboy rhetoric. None of my posts or replies to had any platform or 'chest thumping'.

Also :

6468684_sd.jpg;maxHeight=640;maxWidth=550

Last edited:
Yes, your main point was the game having a low reception on youtube. That's wrong.

Also, just because you didn't buy a star wars game that you saw the trailer for doesn't mean it's the same case for the rest of the gaming audience.

I doubt you actually looked it up before posting and made a shot in the dark. Hopefully you will next time.

Ease up on the fanboy rhetoric. None of my posts or replies to had any platform or 'chest thumping'.

Also :

I didn't say you were, unless you consider yourself a green rat. Do you?

I think you have been caught out and are scrambling now. I think you know it hasn't cut through with the gaming audience.

And as a result, I think it'll struggle for the reasons I've outlined.

If you are a marvel fan and a gamer you've got a PS5. By the time this game releases there'll be the two biggest heroes with exclusive games on that platform.

I hope the game goes well, but it hasn't cut through with gamers outside of some arguing over platform, has a questionable dev attached, hasn't made waves on gaming channels and ultimately is a C-tier IP to begin with.

Lots of time to change minds, but Xbox have been historically shit at that.

What say you to those points?

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Using the Marvel Channel is not a good metric. What did it get on Xbox?

What? This makes no sense. We don't even know what platform it is on yet.

Who released the trailer?

Search blade on YouTube and see which page cones up first. That's the one that matters.

Ain't no way someone is specifically gonna dig out any other version of that trailer if the first one is in 4k and is marvel entertainment.

What's upsetting is clicking the comments on YouTube and the top 20 or so are a million times more positive than what's on this forum...not something I'd expect 😞

Last edited:
What? This makes no sense. We don't even know what platform it is on yet.

Who released the trailer?

Search blade on YouTube and see which page cones up first. That's the one that matters.

Ain't no way someone is specifically gonna dig out any other version of that trailer if the first one is in 4k and is marvel entertainment.

What's upsetting is clicking the comments on YouTube and the top 20 or so are a million times more positive than what's on this forum...not something I'd expect 😞

Because of subscriptions it'll be pushed to and clicked on by people who don't buy or play games. It'll be inflated as a result. Marvel has a huge following. I'm actually surprised it doesn't have more views.

Just checked and even bloody GOW Ragnaroks DLC has 2.6m views. 3m for a brand new 'exclusive' Marvel game that was apparently the show stealer? It should be a heck of a lot more.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
You can't make an X-Men game unless it is a strategy-type game? Where are you getting this?

What else are you going to do aside from an X Com like game? Marvel Alliance again? An X Men fighting game?

Or you think you can do a proper third person action game and account for a dozen different play styles? Most of these mutants have insane powers. There’s a reason why the likes of Wolverine and Deadpool rise to the top.

A blade game has a better chance of being great than an X Men game.

Last edited:
What else are you going to do aside from an X Com like game? Marvel Alliance again? An X Men fighting game?

Or you think you can do a proper third person action game and account for a dozen different play styles? Most of these mutants have insane powers. There’s a reason why the likes of Wolverine and Deadpool rise to the top.

Good points. Look at what happened to the Avengers.

adamsapple

Go on then. Provide a counter argument to the points. I've given a lot more weight to anything I've said than you have to your 'points'. You've picked at semantics. Being the heat. Come on.

No, there's no point. You started with an incorrect point about low youtube views and have only doubled down on it since and have added progressively more console fanboy rhetoric into each following post you've made.

A blade game has a better chance of being great than an X Men game.

There is potential for a proper X-Men RPG with character builds and stats, Dennis Dyack was not the right person to make it, but a more talented team can definitely do it.

No, there's no point. You started with an incorrect point about low youtube views and have only doubled down on it since and have added progressively more console fanboy rhetoric into each following post you've made]

The YouTube views are low. They are inflated because they aren't on a gaming channel. The developer is an odd choice. It's a C tier IP. Microsoft are shit at marketing and changing people's minds.

Not. Wrong.

You just don't have anything to go up against that which is fair enough. You've left the ring.

Best move.

It wasn't Xbox that showed it off though, it was The Game Awards. I think it's good to add all official sources together (Xbox/Marvel channels).

It's not a good idea if we are trying to determine whether it has cut through with gamers though, which is my point.

There is cross over in Marvel fans (gamers, comics, movies etc) but it muddies the waters if we are trying to determine if gamers actually care in large enough numbers.

Xbox and the game awards are fair in my opinion, but the marvel Channel contaminates the data.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Does MS ever announce platform for early reveals? Indiana Jones, Fable, Elder Scroll VI, etc

I think they gave gamers more credit than they deserve this being a first party created title 😂

Why would they, Xbox owns Arkane so it will be on Xbox X/S, PC and Game Pass. Does Sony announce the platforms for God of War or Horizon? Are Xbox fans wondering if Wolverine is going to be on Xbox? Doubt it.

skit_data

Everytime I think of Blade I think if that bloodbath rave theme.mp3 everyone had on their portable music players. And of course that awkward "yeah, got him" gesture Blade makes after nailing a guy to a wall, the edit on that is so damn awkward.

Almost as awkward as not announcing platforms for this game ;)

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X

Also :

GotG is shockingly good, and I hate superhero shit especially Marvel, but damn this game was fun and the characters were fantastic. I never knew Blade was a Marvel property. I think Blade will be a far more interesting character than the typical cape shit and since it will be free* day1 on Game Pass I'm for sure going to check it out. If it's half as good as GotG I'll love it.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Why would they, Xbox owns Arkane so it will be on Xbox X/S, PC and Game Pass. Does Sony announce the platforms for God of War or Horizon? Are Xbox fans wondering if Wolverine is going to be on Xbox? Doubt it.

Yeah they put the PlayStation logo on it at minimum.

They had no problem placing the Xbox logo on the OD announcement. Why are you pretending like this is normal? The reasons eludes us but it’s not normal so don’t try to sell us a bridge.

Three

Even if we assume that they didn't announce the platforms do you think they would have declined to comment when asked? This isn't the normal thing to do.

Last edited:

DavJay

Blade being a smaller superhero probably meant getting licenses from them should be significantly cheaper. Small risk, big rewards and the game if successful could put blade back on the map.

adamsapple

Everytime I think of Blade I think if that bloodbath rave theme.mp3 everyone had on their portable music players. And of course that awkward "yeah, got him" gesture Blade makes after nailing a guy to a wall, the edit on that is so damn awkward.

Almost as awkward as not announcing platforms for this game ;)

Every time I think of Blade, this comes to mind

motherfuckers-always-trying-to-ice-skate-uphill.gif

Top Bottom