• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Windows Central]Why Xbox customers are right to be angry about Microsoft putting more 'exclusive' games on Nintendo or PlayStation

MarkMe2525

Angry? Am I supposed to be angry? MS has brought all of their games to multiple platforms for years now. If there was ever a time to be angry, and voice your displeasure, surely it would have been then. What a weird take.

soulbait

Meh. Xbox already has games on other platforms and it is known that some Bethesda games would be and games coming from ABK. I do not understand the big deal over this.

If all Xbox published games go onto other consoles, I can see a strategy that can work and keep Xbox consoles relevant:
1. Still have day one release on GamePass
2. Release on other consoles 6 months - 1 year after initial release (similar to PS's strategy for releasing PC games).

If they start releasing all Xbox Games day one on other consoles, with GamePass still being, then to me it is a sign that we are entering Xbox's last cycle of consoles. Would stink, but it is what it is. I am not going to lose sleep over it or cry about it.

Regginator

Can we have Rare Replay please? :messenger_hushed::messenger_hushed::messenger_hushed: Literally the only Xbox game I want to be on Switch/PS5.

Okay, maybe not literally, but it's up there for me. Alongside TES6 whenever it releases come 2039.

Killjoy-NL

It would be kind of funny if the likes of Tom, Jeff and Jez are doing all this for engagement and nothing is really happening. MS announce remaining exclusive and a win is fabricated out of nothing.

I do think Tom and Jez do feel threatened if it were to happen though. There is no war reporter if the war is over. Nobody really follows a publisher mouthpiece. Do we have any EA or Ubisoft evangelists? Hence why I think Jez is siding with raging fanboys on the subject and Tom doing surveys to see how it will affect him if 'xbox news' didn’t really exist anymore.
There's still the disastrous Series sales that keep getting worse every month and a stagnant GamePass.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
I told my parents to fuck off when they tried to put me on pills and i'll do the same to you
Oh I wouldn't try to put you on pills. I think aerosol piped through the air handling system without your knowledge would be more reasonable at first. Then once you're unconscious and compliant administer intravenously. But since I'm not a doctor this could never happen, so don't worry.

DJ12

ironically he was one of the first to break the news, since that article though he’s seemingly been siding with the raging fanboys on Twitter

I guess he figures their clicks are more valuable then whatever Microsoft was giving him?
Shill money is going to dry up when MS are third party, but angry former xbox console owners will still generate him ad revenue.

JCK75

I prefer playing on my Series X over my PS5.. I have no reason to be mad that more gamers get good games..it's how it should be.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Meh. Xbox already has games on other platforms and it is known that some Bethesda games would be and games coming from ABK. I do not understand the big deal over this.

If all Xbox published games go onto other consoles, I can see a strategy that can work and keep Xbox consoles relevant:
2. Release on other consoles 6 months - 1 year after initial release (similar to PS's strategy for releasing PC games).

If they start releasing all Xbox Games day one on other consoles, with GamePass still being, then to me it is a sign that we are entering Xbox's last cycle of consoles. Would stink, but it is what it is. I am not going to lose sleep over it or cry about it.

Have you looked at sales of playstation games on pc? Hardly some endorsement of a strategy. It just lead to less xbox sales with Hardly any extra sales to make up for it. People don't buy games that are "old". Its a reason basically every timed exclusive sells like shit on the platform its released on later on. No one wants to pay full price for a old game.

DJ12

Looking back it was in 2020 I had a post removed about this very thing happening and got a message saying wahh wahh wahh and console warring

James Franco Flirt GIF
Not surprised in the fullness of time you have been proven correct.

But all it means is a few disgruntled fans reported your post

quest

Not Banned from OT
I prefer playing on my Series X over my PS5.. I have no reason to be mad that more gamers get good games..it's how it should be.
So Microsoft delaying games to be day and date isn't an issue ok lol? So if indy,avowed and hell blade2 could of been 2023 games but playstation versions delayed them to 2024 that being cool to those who paid hundreds for xbox hardware?

FeralEcho

I'd like to first see it officially confirmed before we decide what we should be feeling.
This!

I'm confused,as far as I know outside of Nadella saying something that elludes to them going multiplatform we don't have an OFFICIAL statement from Microsoft that it's happening even though by now we all kinda know something's going on.But still it's kinda weird to see sites jump on the news as if it's not still a rumor or speculation right now.

This!

I'm confused,as far as I know outside of Nadella saying something that elludes to them going multiplatform we don't have an OFFICIAL statement from Microsoft that it's happening even though by now we all kinda know something's going on.But still it's kinda weird to see sites jump on the news as if it's not still a rumor or speculation right now.
It's simply come from a rumor about SOT and HiFi Rush possibly going to other platforms, that seems to be the long and short of it. Since then the rabid fanboys and clueless reporters have built it up to Microsoft becoming a 3rd party publisher 😅 It's nearly as bad as the Activision acquisition thread with the experts on Gaf claiming the deal wouldn't go through, see how that turned out 🤔

Microsoft are unique within the console space as they aren't worried about how many consoles they sell (of which they lose money on everyone sold). The comparison to SEGA for instance is plain delusional. Microsoft/Xbox are over 20yrs established and they will remain in the hardware space and continue as a first party publisher who from time to time will release certain IP beyond Xbox/PC (something they've always done).

Ar¢tos

Phil Spencer made it a big deal during the FTC trial. His emails show he wanted every possible game taken away from Playstation, and being mad that he couldn't take Minecraft from Playstation because of the terms of Mojang acquisition contract.

Gojiira

Not reading but no they are not right to be angry at Xbox putting games on Playstation and Nintendo, NOT when Xbox has made it there mission to buy up as much non-exclusive franchises and make them exclusive…Fallout,Elder Scrolls,Doom etc, if they arent on Playstation then Xbots have nothing to cry about at all…

diffusionx

Gold Member
I really don't know why anyone would be a staunch Microsoft loyalist in the year 2024, to the point where they are likely going to get their heart broken in a few hours. I got an Xbox One early in its lifespan and it just sucked. So what did I do, I bought a PS4 and the PS4 was way better. Microsoft has been on a decade long losing streak and it's just kind of grim. It reminds me of the old Dodgers/Yankees rivalry of the 40s and 50s, except you can't really just switch teams and the Dodgers did eventually win. When you are cheering on a corporate acquisition, like time to look in the mirror.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I really don't know why anyone would be a staunch Microsoft loyalist in the year 2024, to the point where they are likely going to get their heart broken in a few hours. I got an Xbox One early in its lifespan and it just sucked. So what did I do, I bought a PS4 and the PS4 was way better. Microsoft has been on a decade long losing streak and it's just kind of grim. It reminds me of the old Dodgers/Yankees rivalry of the 40s and 50s, except you can't really just switch teams and the Dodgers did eventually win. When you are cheering on a corporate acquisition, like time to look in the mirror.
I've never picked what system / games I like based on popularity. I was all about Dreamcast and Wii U as well. I skipped Xbone because it looked bad and was overpriced. I got a PS5 first, but have barely used the thing. I am not interested in almost all the exclusives. Tried Series S on a whim and GP has been absolutely crushing it for 3 years. I just go where the stuff I want to play is. I can't make the masses have good taste.

Agreed. I remember I got a PS3 and it was garbage at the time with no games I wanted. Sold it and got a 360 and loved it. Saw the Xbox one reveal and decided to go PS4.

Neofire

I don't blame em to be frank, they should because why make an Xbox if the R&D to engineer one doesn't add up and I'm sure a few games going to a few extra platforms aren't going to generate enough profit to do that.

To play devils advocate though.....they kinda brought this on themselves with PC. According to everyone Xbox games being released on PC was supposed to keep it above water and we all know how that's going.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
They aren't.
What a stupid article.

Anyone who gets mad at the fact that a game they bought is not "exclusive for their platform" anymore is a fucking moron.
I would most people would agree. The only time I’d disagree is if they stopped supporting their own console too which isn’t going to happen. I guess maybe it could signal that the next generation won’t happen and they will lose out on their library for the next generation? Maybe? Those would be valid concerns (to a degree imo) but if it’s only because others get to play, it’s silly and pretty selfish.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Who cares.

I dont know how many Xbox gamers got mad when Gears, Forza, Fable, Halo released on PC, but I sure didn't. And when Gears 1 launched on PC a year later it came with extra levels and MP maps and if you had a good PC ran at 60 fps. Didnt bother me at all.

Last edited:

blakdecaf

these people need to start thinking outside the box. Literally.

Xbox is a service now, not just a device. At the end of the day, who really cares? Play your games and have a smile.

ProtoByte

No, they aren't.
There's literally nothing that gets subtracted from the quality of your experience with any given game if a former exclusive gets released on any other platform.
I'm not talking about former exclusives. Future first party output will absolutely be affected by multiplat development.

JCK75

So Microsoft delaying games to be day and date isn't an issue ok lol? So if indy,avowed and hell blade2 could of been 2023 games but playstation versions delayed them to 2024 that being cool to those who paid hundreds for xbox hardware?

It's not an issue with me no.

Mr Hyde

This third party rumor has spiraled out of control. MS needs to go out and clarify, like right now. Either be frank and tell the fans what's up, or squash it now immediately. It's crazy that they are treating its fan base like this, letting this rumor fester so much on the Internet.

Astray

Gold Member
This third party rumor has spiraled out of control. MS needs to go out and clarify, like right now. Either be frank and tell the fans what's up, or squash it now immediately. It's crazy that they are treating its fan base like this, letting this rumor fester so much on the Internet.
I thought that's what Nadella's been doing for the past 2 days now..

MacReady13

At the end of the day there is 1 reason this is happening- Xbox gamers generally don’t buy games as they’ve been trained to only play games on gamepass! They NEED to release games on systems where people buy games to try recoup the approx 70 billion they just spent! Phil consistently winning!!!😂

Why would anyone care? My bigger concern is over all of the games I've purchased. As long as Xbox doesn't leave gaming and I continue to have access to all my games I don't really care which box I play them on.

Top Bottom