• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Windows Central]Why Xbox customers are right to be angry about Microsoft putting more 'exclusive' games on Nintendo or PlayStation

That's been my take as well. Obviously if the console dies, to me that would be a catastrophe for anyone who invested in the ecosystem, and would lead to a dark age in gaming and usher in that monopoly everyone was so concerned about for the last 14 months. If it's some multiplayer GAAS stuff, I don't particularly think that's even a bad idea. If it's Hi-Fi Rush or something small for Switch, I honestly don't know if I even mind. I didn't care with Ori or Cuphead. There's multiple layers of nuance to it, and there's just no point wasting energy on it until they explain what they're even doing.
well, you could always just hold onto your series x/s, & continue to enjoy your ecosystem investment on it. i mean, i can't play the vast majority of my ps2 games on my ps5. same with gamecube/switch. have these also been catastrophes for me by my investing in the playstation/nintendo ecosystems?...

i'll grant you, it sucks. i'd love to be able to just pop my ps2/gamecube games into my ps5/switch. but 'catastrophe'? nah, it's just 'the way of the console', grasshopper...

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Microsofts competitors are amazon, google, apple etc. Not sony.

But it's more the cringing chat like it's a sport team people support. Grow up lads.
Remind me of what was factually incorrect with that statement, lad.

And if you really think Microsoft doesn't see Sony as a competitor in this industry, there aren't enough laugh emojis to post.

Last edited:

DJ12

Remind me of what was factually incorrect with that statement, lad.

And if you really think Microsoft doesn't see Sony as a competitor in this industry, there aren't enough laugh emojis to post.
So true, gaming division destroyed by a company they could buy several times over with cash in hand.

But at least the fog has lifted now, if you cannot beat them, and it's clear MS cannot, join them.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
They aren't.
What a stupid article.

Anyone who gets mad at the fact that a game they bought is not "exclusive for their platform" anymore is a fucking moron.
They are worse than morons, they are assholes and losers too. Crying that someone doesn't have to buy a 500 buck system to play the games you paid to play is lame. Besides they won't be on Gamepass on those platforms.

FrankWza

didn’t they reveal this was always BS during the ABK acquisition? 🤔 if Sony wasn’t their competition why did they produce that pie chart for the EU showing how utterly dominated Xbox was by PlayStation as justification?
They spent 70bil to get CoD and make it exclusive just like they did Bethesda.
That was all about PlayStation.

Marvel14

Banned
If MS' Gamepass Service could be accessed with just an internet connected Smart TV and a controller paired to said TV, with minimal loss in fidelity, then the era of the standalone console may well be coming to an end.

In such a scenario making Gamepass games available on rival consoles could be simply a clever advertisement for console-free gaming paid for by the consumer.

Replace "roads" with "consoles"...
Doc Brown Fly GIF by Back to the Future Trilogy

Or I might be missing something.

Last edited:

hlm666

Going by all the hate in threads from the direct i'm guessing nothing happened, but i'll ask anyway. Did they announce first party games for platforms other than xbox?

Seriously m, who gives a shit. It’s as sad as people getting upset that Sony are porting games to PC. How the fuck does it affect you’re enjoyment of the game if people are playing it on another platform? SMH

You gotta think though. XBOX sales are already dismal compared to PlayStation and even the ancient Switch. Bringing their exclusive games to other platforms are just going to make their hardware woes even worst. Day one PC games already did damage to XBOX hardware sales, so how will this help? Sure, you’ll probably get more software sales, but as a consumer who would buy an Xbox when there’s a chance some or eventually all of their exclusives will come to your console of choice? Also, imo there’s no point in coming out with another console/device/etc in a few years if multiplatform releases are in their future.

Kumomeme

it is interesting to see Xbox fans reaction right now since before, they is really against exclusivity so this road that the company are plan to taking is something that they should want from very beginning. but if large number of them are not happy, then it mean now we know what they are truly feels all this time. honestly they should voice up their concern more from very beginning than just parroting what phil spencer said no matter it is wrong or right for sake of merely to win the internet 'moment' against their competitor.

Last edited:
You gotta think though. XBOX sales are already dismal compared to PlayStation and even the ancient Switch. Bringing their exclusive games to other platforms are just going to make their hardware woes even worst. Day one PC games already did damage to XBOX hardware sales, so how will this help? Sure, you’ll probably get more software sales, but as a consumer who would buy an Xbox when there’s a chance some or eventually all of their exclusives will come to your console of choice? Also, imo there’s no point in coming out with another console/device/etc in a few years if multiplatform releases are in their future.
My guess is Xbox Series is the final Xbox. For now, MS will continue to have a platform and support it. But there will be no further console hardware releases. There won't be a new PS console until 2027/8 anyways, so MS has plenty of time to start winding Xbox down as a platform and transition to being a 3rd party publisher.

Last edited:

Crayon

I think a lot of people's imaginations are running away. Something big is changing but I think it will be quite awhile before you see forza horizon coming over. Everything around this is pointing towards some kind of change but it's not necessarily a dramatic overnight thing.

SHA

Imagine xbox games breaking ps5 and the switch consoles? that would put their business on the line.

RedC

I'm sorry but shouldn't PlayStation and Nintendo owners be pissed off that Microsoft bought publishers with the intention to remove content from other platforms?

That's allegedly called innovation.
What content did Microsoft remove from other platforms after acquiring studios/publishers?

There is no obligation for FUTURE content to be released on your platform of choice, regardless of the reasons.

To think otherwise is to be entitled.

Last edited:
What content did Microsoft remove from other platforms after acquiring studios/publishers?

There is no obligation for FUTURE content to be released on your platform of choice, regardless of the reasons.

I suppose you could start with the cancellation of Redfall. Starfield being made an XBOX exclusive (please don't try and pretend like it wasn't coming to PlayStation.) The next Elder Scrolls has been started to be XBOX and PC and won't be coming to PlayStation. Ninja Theory had support from Sony when developing Hellblade and I'm sure we won't be seeing the sequel.

Anyone who doesn't believe that Microsoft intends to leverage the IP acquired with Bethesda and Activision is, as far as I'm concerned, an idiot. They've already made Sony agree to give up any expectation of ABK releases outside of Call of Duty for ten years.

They're just doing what any clever business would do. Wait until their market share gets comparible to the market leader and then you watch it disappear. Classic Microsoft and their monopolising bullshit.

Anyway. I'm just gonna sit over here being entitled whilst I play Final Fantasy VII Integrate again having just finished FFXVI in anticipation for Rebirth.

RedC

I suppose you could start with the cancellation of Redfall. Starfield being made an XBOX exclusive (please don't try and pretend like it wasn't coming to PlayStation.) The next Elder Scrolls has been started to be XBOX and PC and won't be coming to PlayStation. Ninja Theory had support from Sony when developing Hellblade and I'm sure we won't be seeing the sequel.

Anyone who doesn't believe that Microsoft intends to leverage the IP acquired with Bethesda and Activision is, as far as I'm concerned, an idiot. They've already made Sony agree to give up any expectation of ABK releases outside of Call of Duty for ten years.

They're just doing what any clever business would do. Wait until their market share gets comparible to the market leader and then you watch it disappear. Classic Microsoft and their monopolising bullshit.

Anyway. I'm just gonna sit over here being entitled whilst I play Final Fantasy VII Integrate again having just finished FFXVI in anticipation for Rebirth.
Unreleased games have no obligation to be released on your preferred platform of choice, regardless of the reasons.

You cannot "remove content" from a platform that it was never released on.

Last edited:

graywolf323

Unreleased games have no obligation to be released on your preferred platform of choice, regardless of the reasons.

You cannot "remove content" from a platform that it was never released on.

so you’d have no complaints then if say Sony bought Take Two and canceled Grand Theft Auto VI for Xbox right? after all it won‘t have released yet

RedC

so you’d have no complaints then if say Sony bought Take Two and canceled Grand Theft Auto VI for Xbox right? after all it won‘t have released yet.
In that specific case, I would like to highlight it would be different because it has already been announced and promoted as releasing on PS5 and XSX/S in 2025.

So I could at least understand why somebody could legitimately feel this specific content was removed from them if it became console exclusive due to an acquisition.

That being said, tough titty.

As somebody who only owns and primarily plays on Xbox, if I wanted to play GTA 6 in this case then I would have to get over it and consider getting a platform where GTA 6 is available to play on.

Last edited:

demigod

In that specific case, I would like to highlight it would be different because it has already been announced and promoted as releasing on PS5 and XSX/S in 2025.

So I could at least understand why somebody could legitimately feel this specific content was removed from them if it became console exclusive due to an acquisition.

As somebody who only owns and primarily plays on Xbox, if I wanted to play GTA 6 in this case then I would have to get over it and consider getting a platform where GTA 6 is available to play on.
Ask mommy for a PS5 next time.

RedC

Ask mommy for a PS5 next time.
I won't need to because I am content with the content on my preferred platform of choice and won't cry if businesses make business decisions that determine to not release content on said platform of choice.

Alcibiades

Hasn't Microsoft been putting their games on Nintendo systems since GBA? They already have Minecraft everywhere.

I get the impression it'll be targeted releases like that and not a full scale commitment to put their entire 1st party library on other systems.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

Why would it be different? Sony wouldn't be "removing" GTA 6 from the Xbox platform, because the game isn't out yet on Xbox.

RedC

Why would it be different? Sony wouldn't be "removing" GTA 6 from the Xbox platform, because the game isn't out yet on Xbox.
I agree the result would be the same, however, I just wanted to clarify the distinction in that hypothetical case, from anything Microsoft has done when acquiring studios/publishers and honoring all contracts, maintaining all updates/upgrades to multiplatform releases.

It wasn't a 1:1 comparison essentially.

ProtoByte

Seriously m, who gives a shit. It’s as sad as people getting upset that Sony are porting games to PC. How the fuck does it affect you’re enjoyment of the game if people are playing it on another platform? SMH
I'll mostly repost what I said in another thread related to this. I doubt Jez Corden's reasons are very well thought out, but:

True exclusivity matters and is good. While the value proposition of a machine literally goes down as previous exclusives make it to others, it's not the back catalog or the list wars that's the real problem.

The real problem is how the development approach will change for future first party games.

1st party exclusives benefit from 2 things:
  1. 100% revenue takeaway
  2. The lack of necessity to be directly hugely profitable
Looking at the margins from the Insomniac leak, you can see why, beyond the quality of the studios, PlayStation has published 3 Spider-Man games of their quality and Square Enix published The Avengers. Accounting for the cut that Marvel is taking from their licensed games (which does change the math, but not so much), you can apply this to other 3rd party vs 1st party games.

Yes, it's more to do with Gamepass, but I definitely noticed an immediate decline in quality the second Microsoft committed to putting their shit on PC day one. It's not by chance that between gamepass and their grasping attempts to create a multiplatform ecosystem, that their titles are just becoming cheaper and less significant. Almost everything from that Xbox direct looked and sounded embarrassing from a publisher like Microsoft, with development houses of that pedigree in 2024.

Similarly, it's not by chance that Sony's desperate attempt at live service building came along with a drive towards PC and mobile.

Being cheap and available everywhere doesn't help anyone if the games are crap.

I'll mostly repost what I said in another thread related to this. I doubt Jez Corden's reasons are very well thought out, but:

True exclusivity matters and is good. While the value proposition of a machine literally goes down as previous exclusives make it to others, it's not the back catalog or the list wars that's the real problem.

The real problem is how the development approach will change for future first party games.

1st party exclusives benefit from 2 things:
  1. 100% revenue takeaway
  2. The lack of necessity to be directly hugely profitable
Looking at the margins from the Insomniac leak, you can see why, beyond the quality of the studios, PlayStation has published 3 Spider-Man games of their quality and Square Enix published The Avengers. Accounting for the cut that Marvel is taking from their licensed games (which does change the math, but not so much), you can apply this to other 3rd party vs 1st party games.

Yes, it's more to do with Gamepass, but I definitely noticed an immediate decline in quality the second Microsoft committed to putting their shit on PC day one. It's not by chance that between gamepass and their grasping attempts to create a multiplatform ecosystem, that their titles are just becoming cheaper and less significant. Almost everything from that Xbox direct looked and sounded embarrassing from a publisher like Microsoft, with development houses of that pedigree in 2024.

Similarly, it's not by chance that Sony's desperate attempt at live service building came along with a drive towards PC and mobile.

Being cheap and available everywhere doesn't help anyone if the games are crap.
That sounds like a lot of subjective takes on game quality to be honest. People have been pouring shit on MS output for years before GP. I think their releases last year and this year look more promising than anything they’ve had for a while.

graywolf323

I agree the result would be the same, however, I just wanted to clarify the distinction in that hypothetical case, from anything Microsoft has done when acquiring studios/publishers and honoring all contracts, maintaining all updates/upgrades to multiplatform releases.

It wasn't a 1:1 comparison essentially.
except we know from the FTC trial that they didn’t honor the contract as written at the time of acquiring Zenimax for Indiana Jones, they paid Disney to cancel the PS5 version

the only contracts they honored were the timed exclusives with PlayStation because they likely didn’t’ have much of a choice there, anything they could get away with they canceled for PlayStation (either internally like with Starfield, Hi-Fi Rush, etc. or by renegotiating with third parties like Disney)

ProtoByte

That sounds like a lot of subjective takes on game quality to be honest.
The subjectivity spiral seems a little redundant here. Clearly, the market doesn't think whatever Xbox is putting out is worth buying the console, buying the games, or even subscribing for access to them.

People have been pouring shit on MS output for years before GP.
You're right, so let's look at that.
Even in the last segment of Don Mattrick's regime, you could see the cracks starting to form as Xbox tried positioning itself to be a multimedia, always online ecosystem. It's not that far removed from what Gamepass is. The Gamepass/Play Anywhere/multiplatform release model is just the logical conclusion, all the way from deprioritising the dedicated hardware to universal access; just with subscription economics slapped on top.

I think their releases last year and this year look more promising than anything they’ve had for a while.
Not to be rude, but I'm not even going to debate the promise or quality of Redfall, Starfield, or even the latest Forza that they managed to bungle, because lol.

As for this year, I truly think their lineup looks less up to standard than it ever has since Crackdown 3.
Hellblade's gameplay looks as scripted and inelegantly designed as the first game's, and after 7 years of no new releases, Ninja Theory has only been able to crank out 8-10 hours. Nobody expected that after 3 years of hype from Xbox marketing. Indiana Jones just looks bad. Avowed looks like a kickstarter campaign project and sounds so tired. Every bs promise these RPGs come out with is regurgitated in that deep dive.

If not for quality, it's objective to say that production values appear to be lesser, or way less efficient.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member

Nah....this suggestion that a multiplatform publisher promoting a game as multiplatform suddenly makes the scenario "different' doesn't fly. Some things are generally a given, such as GTA 6 being multiplat. The only content that could be "removed" from anyone is that which they already have. Promoting release platforms doesn't give them anything.

If someone wants to adopt the "get over it" attitude then that is up to them, but that is generally something folks only say when it is convenient.

Last edited:

RedC

except we know from the FTC trial that they didn’t honor the contract as written at the time of acquiring Zenimax for Indiana Jones, they paid Disney to cancel the PS5 version

the only contracts they honored were the timed exclusives with PlayStation because they likely didn’t’ have much of a choice there, anything they could get away with they canceled for PlayStation (either internally like with Starfield, Hi-Fi Rush, etc. or by renegotiating with third parties like Disney)
They renegotiated the contract with the IP holder in that specific case.

Also, the platforms were never announced in any of those cases, before internally canceling the Playstation versions.
Nah....this suggestion that a multiplatform publisher promoting a game as multiplatform suddenly makes the scenario "different' doesn't fly. Some things are generally a given, such as GTA 6 being multiplat. The only content that could be "removed" from anyone is that which they already have. Promoting release platforms doesn't give them anything.

If someone wants to adopt the "get over it" attitude then that is up to them, but that is generally something folks only say when it is convenient.
I obviously agree with "The only content that could be "removed" from anyone is that which they already have".

I was only pointing out that I could at least UNDERSTAND why some people could FEEL like content was removed from them if a game was already announced to be released on their preferred platform of choice, even if I disagree,

Ultimately the end result is all that matters.

Last edited:
Top Bottom