• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Windows Central] Microsoft and Xbox announced 'Marvel's Blade' at The Game Awards — but could it also be coming to PlayStation?

twilo99

You think Spider-Man only appeals to teenagers and Blade is as big of a character as Spider-Man?

Brother are you from bum fuck nowhere or something? How the hell somebody typing on a gaming forum has no clue about the difference in audience for Blade and Spider-Man.

def fuck nowhere and I do like it here

I'm just not all that familiar with the super hero universe in general and the only people I know that seem to be into it all are teenagers, hence my conclusion that the majority audience for a super hearo video game would be.. the teen

nick776

This is easily the most intelligent post I have seen all day and demonstrates why Xbox is failing: they were in a slow lane (console sales), saw a fast lane (subscriptions) decided to change lanes but by the time they changed lanes, the new one slowed down.

It's almost like everyone BUT Microsoft saw that as a problem. My main argument against Gamepass sustainability was always the fact that people are tiring out of subscriptions as the market has become saturated with them. The cost of many of them are starting to go up and it's forcing people to cancel as several $15+ a month services adds up REAL fast. When there were few and the cost was less than $10 a month, it was easy to forget about them and just pay the monthly fee.
Microsoft just doesn’t seem to care about logic. Take their controller for example. Phil indicated way back in 2020 that DualSense was great. Lots of consumers pick PS5 just because of the controller. Here we are 4 years later and MS still has not released an updated haptic controller when they know they should. MS seems to make lots of BAD decisions and it just all piles up over time.

Baki

There's no way Marvel would want it to be exclusive without getting a big fat paycheck.
There’s no way this game is successful without a tier 1 dev like Arkane. Thats the conundrum Disney is in. Find a random talented multiplat studio to make a Blade game or let MS tier 1 studio adapt Blade and also provide some nice guaranteed royalty payments.

What you're saying is completely meaningless to anything related to what we're discussing. That's why the GP coup comment. It doesn't matter in the context of the original quote and yet, you had to throw it in. This is what you replied to...

What does it have to do with Sony having control of it going to GP? We were talking about it being SOLD on other consoleS. But you are conditioned to automatically talk about not buying games.

Watching you try to justify the nonsense is even more adorable. The context was you’re incorrectly asserting Sony was in a position to not make the game multiplat. They don’t even put their own games day one on their service, you think they’ll be just peachy with it coming to the competitions? That isn’t some “chest beating” gloat about GamePass, it’s a logical conclusion based on Sony’s own actions and admissions. The fact that you’re taking it as some sort of GamePass victory lap just shows who is really conditioned here.

Either way enjoy the warring, I’ve wasted enough time arguing about an example we both agree doesn’t fit.

TransTrender

Gold Member
Is this the same Blade where the Oscar winning lead gets clamsplained by a bunch of gay and lame women on how hard it is for them to live their truth?
Yeah super pass thank you.

FrankWza

Watching you try to justify the nonsense is even more adorable. The context was you’re incorrectly asserting Sony was in a position to not make the game multiplat. They don’t even put their own games day one on their service, you think they’ll be just peachy with it coming to the competitions? That isn’t some “chest beating” gloat about GamePass, it’s a logical conclusion based on Sony’s own actions and admissions. The fact that you’re taking it as some sort of GamePass victory lap just shows who is really conditioned here.

Either way enjoy the warring, I’ve wasted enough time arguing about an example we both agree doesn’t fit.
Again. Leaving out the original quote so you're just trolling. I get it.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
You just completely contradicted yourself. Sony had a FIRST PARTY STUDIO (putting it in bold letters like you) making the Show, that went multiplatform, which could...not saying it's gonna....happen here. So now you're saying that because Arkane is FIRST PARTY STUDIO (gonna keep the bolded letters theme going) that they can't do the same. Eventhough Xbox has a FAR FAR FAR weaker negotiating position than Sony does for exclusives. You're right, it's not the same just not in the direction that you think.

To be fair, I think Blade is exclusive to Xbox, but why not say so? You want this to be a "we got this!" moment and instead you have all this talk that could quickly be fixed by a clarification.
PlayStation has two Marvel IPs that are exclusive. Call me petty but, I think that's more than enough. Xbox needs it's own Marvel IP and it finally has it. No reason for it to hit PlayStation at all. Frankly speaking; if you want Blade (when it releases) by an Xbox.

Mooreberg

If they let their most popular Marvel character (Spiderman) be console exclusive, on the condition that the platform holder foots the bill and provides the development team, they'd likely do the same with a less popular character. It's free money for Disney. And yeah, Deathloop was console exclusive to PS5 for a year, but that deal was already in place way before the Bethesda acquisition. Kojima game is the bigger news to me.

Astray

Gold Member
Klobrille is only upset that he can't cheer-lead harder right now.

Once he gets confirmation that it's Xbox exclusive, then the infographics and full-throated brand endorsement can commence.
I mean if it does get confirmed to be an exclusive then there's nothing wrong with celebrating it.

Let's be honest, there's only a 7 page topic about it *because* of the thing. If it gets confirmed to be an Xbox/PC/Game Pass game, it will become persona non grata to some posters.
As for the topic being this way, surely you recognize that it's deeply odd to not have a confirmation of where a title might be when it normally would be. It's only normal that speculation would happen (as it did when Re:Fantazio and P3R's initial reveals didn't have playstation confirmed on them).

As for the game itself, I can only speak for myself.. This is actually the MS studios title I'm hyped the most for, so provided it turns out good, I will likely get it day 1.

Marvel’s not currently the draw it once was - not sure you could even argue that they aren’t ‘struggling’ a bit. We used to be opening weekend for all of their movies, but I haven’t even seen probably the last ten… Totally burnt out, and the quality has dropped off.

I did love the Wesley Snipes Blade movies, but don’t understand the level of angst surrounding this from both sides, especially this far out.

I guess Microsoft keeping high profile IP like this and Indiana Jones locked up will annoy PS only gamers, but it’s no different to how Sony does business. Except that they’ll also be on PC…

Disco Dave

Imagine thinking Blade is answer to Spider-Man.
It will be once they...
E1NGGfI.jpg

Thirty7ven

Banned
def fuck nowhere and I do like it here

I'm just not all that familiar with the super hero universe in general and the only people I know that seem to be into it all are teenagers, hence my conclusion that the majority audience for a super hearo video game would be.. the teen

Teen audience is not how Marvel created a cinematic universe on the big screen and generated over 30 billion in ticket sales.

Super heroes or comic book characters are archetypes that change with the times and whose stories can either be more mature or more childish.

Either way say… your standard Peter Parker story could be early 20s, having a hard time making ends meet, losing your loved ones, struggling to find work life balance. Does this sound like a teenager story?

It could also be a teenager story, or even older, it can be anything. They do have children’s cartoons where Spider-Man looks ten years old or something.

Most people think games are for teens…

Last edited:

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
They have a 2.3 Trillion $$ Market cap, second only to Apple worldwide, Xbox and GamePass is a footnote in their budget.
Investors still see this as dead weight. Because MS could be at 2.X Trillion without it.

Anything that’s not existing investors (Tesla’s future) or isn’t making massive amount of money (Apple) is bad in the eyes of investors.
MS tried for decades to turn the gaming side into a money maker, never happened while Nintendo make money hands over fist.
Just because they have money doesn’t mean they should burn it. Even MS let thousands of people go this year to cut cost.

Ar¢tos

Marvel’s not currently the draw it once was - not sure you could even argue that they aren’t ‘struggling’ a bit. We used to be opening weekend for all of their movies, but I haven’t even seen probably the last ten… Totally burnt out, and the quality has dropped off.

I did love the Wesley Snipes Blade movies, but don’t understand the level of angst surrounding this from both sides, especially this far out.

I guess Microsoft keeping high profile IP like this and Indiana Jones locked up will annoy PS only gamers, but it’s no different to how Sony does business. Except that they’ll also be on PC…
Is it really "high profile"?
Blade and Indiana Jones were relevant in the 90s and completely forgotten after, like Spawn and many other IPs.

Many other great IPs that would work for games are completely gone from people minds (Plastic Man, Captain Caveman, Danger Mouse, etc).

gamer82

i'd say its probably exclusive, sony have spider-man which is still technically marvel even though sony has rights to games, plus wolverine is exclusive to sony i don't think marvel will care if a game is exclusive as long as they're paid well for it. Ms needs an exclusive marvel game to push more sales i'd say. We will see in time it's still early days. They didn't advertise it comming to gamepass etc and they normally like to do that whe anouncing games. Maybe it will just be timed exclusive, if its fun i will look to get a graphics card hopefully by then 40 series should be cheaper as i have no need for another console i have 2 already and time is limited . i use my pc more these days so makes more sense going forward till next gen .

Last edited:
Blade and Indiana Jones were relevant in the 90s and completely forgotten after, like Spawn and many other IPs.

Many other great IPs that would work for games are completely gone from people minds (Plastic Man, Captain Caveman, Danger Mouse, etc).
Probably as high profile as Wolverine (Indiana Jones absolutely), not as famous as Spider-Man.

I would fucking love a Danger Mouse game. Or Cavey. Bizarre choices for comparison, but I absolutely approve.

Darsxx82

Investors still see this as dead weight. Because MS could be at 2.X Trillion without it.

However, MS is already 2.8T and continues to grow with Xbox behind it....

Anything that’s not existing investors (Tesla’s future) or isn’t making massive amount of money (Apple) is bad in the eyes of investors.
MS tried for decades to turn the gaming side into a money maker, never happened while Nintendo make money hands over fist.
Just because they have money doesn’t mean they should burn it. Even MS let thousands of people go this year to cut cost.
It's been a long time since investors asked or even mentioned Xbox because the company's health is more about how Azure and the AI business evolve. This is so much so that they have not even asked about the acquisition of ABK even though it is the largest in history in the technology industry.

The Xbox console business is tiny compared to the company's overall business, but it has implications beyond that in the social sphere (possibly the product with the most social roots and the most well-known brand of MS), the future Gaming business and the creation of an ecosystem of its own.

It has never been easier and more economically sustainable for MS to support its console business and it has never been in a better position to face the launch of a next generation, for example. Until cloud gaming is a reality and competes with physical hardware, dispensing with the income that a loyal community (the main base of Gpass subscriptions and income from microtransactions) and controlled within the XBOX ecosystem offers it does not make sense. Today less than ever.

The idea of MS is to create an ecosystem over which it has control, not to enrich that of the competition with the danger that the latter will impose itself in the future. See how all your investment in Studios and infrastructure and Gamepass has to depend on what Sony decides in terms and conditions.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
It's a bit odd. If it were exclusive then Microsoft would be shouting about it. I don't believe they're still in negotiations either as development would have already started.

Either way, I'm just hyped for another Blade game. The PS1 game based on the movie was fantastic.

Darsxx82

Idas from Era about the specific judicial situation of the acquisition of ABK and how it may be affecting MS's decisions in its gaming business. Also including decisions such as announcing the exclusivity or not of their specific proyectos or IPs.

I think it describes well what some of us are talking about here, it is not a trivial situation.

On the merits and after the agreements with Ubisoft and Sony, the case is pretty much in favor of MS. But if the 9th Circuit agrees with the FTC on the issues related to the PI (preliminary injunction), it could force MS to settle with the FTC (to avoid at least an extra year of litigation and slowing down the integration with ABK). Therefore, maybe they have to make some extra concessions to the FTC (likely behavioural).

It's unlikely but not impossible.

In fact, it's not farfetched to think that Blade being announced without platforms is a legal precaution. After all, the exclusivity around the games from Zenimax has been a hot topic since December 2022 (when the FTC decided to block the acquisition). Days later the European Commission released a statement contradicting some of the arguments from the FTC regarding Zenimax and exclusive games, months later Sony highlighted to the CMA that the PS5 version of Redfall had been cancelled, and in June 2023 during the PI process it was brought up multiple times (the renegotiation of the contract with Disney to make the Indiana Jones game exclusive, all the internal meetings about Zenimax games being exclusive or not, Pete Hines not happy because COD was still going to be multiplatform but Starfield and Redfall had to be exclusive or even Phil Spencer backtracking a little on the idea of Elder Scrolls 6 being exclusive).

We know that the ABK case has affected MS/Xbox from a business point of view because cloud gaming was all the rage in 2021/early 2022 but as soon as concerns in relation to the cloud gaming market started to arise, MS started to downplay it more and more: they reduced investment close to zero, Matt Booty called it "experimental" in June 2023, no more talk about streaming games already owned (until weeks ago in Brazil), no more cloud games with specific mobile UI since late 2022, no more games added as F2P to xCloud like Fortnite (the original PR said that more games were coming soon), etc.

So, maybe it's a marketing gimmick but it could also be a legal issue that they know that has to be kept under control in the present (with the FTC appeal) but also even thinking about the future (more big acquisitions are likely coming if they want to be number 1 in revenue by 2030).

It will be interesting to see what happens with the next game announced by Zenimax during 2024 (specially if the FTC case is still alive).

Ohhh Danger Mouse has great potential, good call.

Masters of the Universe, X-Men (although Wolverine is coming), Miami Vice, Futurama are some IPs I would love to see reborn on these consoles

With Blade being the first Marvel IP on the Xbox platform, I'd say it goes a bit further than just money. It speaks to the Calibur of games one can expect on the platform as a whole. It also helps build more confidence in the brand.

Agreed, getting Blade, and wasting the Dishonored dev on this bottom shelf IP, does speak volumes of the caliber of games one can expect to find exclusive to Xbox.

Mr Moose

PlayStation has two Marvel IPs that are exclusive. Call me petty but, I think that's more than enough. Xbox needs it's own Marvel IP and it finally has it. No reason for it to hit PlayStation at all. Frankly speaking; if you want Blade (when it releases) by an Xbox.
They had a chance before PlayStation and they turned it down. Blame MS.
With Blade being the first Marvel IP on the Xbox platform, I'd say it goes a bit further than just money. It speaks to the Calibur of games one can expect on the platform as a whole. It also helps build more confidence in the brand.
I must've imagined those other ones, like Guardians of the Galaxy and Avengers.

Last edited:

They're entering a new phase with a largely new complement of movies and actors after almost two decades of establishing a firm foundation.

They were building the new foundation around Chadwick Bosman who sadly passed away and they can't overly rely on Sony and Spider-Man, so they need to rebuild largely from scratch.

Phase 4 was supposed to be a releveling of the new veteran guard

Black Panther
Spider-Man
Doctor Strange
Marvels
Ant-Man

a send off for a couple more characters

Black Widow
Guardians of the Galaxy
Thor

and introducing a couple new characters

Shang Chi
Eternals

The truth is Marvel isn't in trouble at all. They have not punched the break-now-incase-of-emergency glass, that's when you'll know that they're in trouble. Once they break that glass and it doesn't work.

X-Men
Deadpool
Fantastic Four

These three properties alone could carry Marvel for the next 10-20 years interspersed with an eventual recasting of Black Panther, continued partnership with Sony on Spider-Man, and a reintroduction of new/old Avengers.

They've screwed up Secret Invasion, but they still have House of M, Maximum Carnage, Galactus Trilogy, Secret Wars, and they can probably do Age of Apocalypse over again.

You wrap up the multiverse/Kang and you move on.

There is this weird idea that having a marvel property guarantees success...

The only massively successful Marvel games EVER has been the Insomniac Marvel games... You have another tier of success significantly lower with things like Marvel vs Capcom, Street Fighter vs X-Men, and Marvel Ultimate Alliance games.

There's a lot of reason to believe that Wolverine won't perform that well. It's an extremely difficult property to execute and keep enjoying for 15+ hours. You look at a game like God of War 2018 and initially you only have one weapon, although it has two use-cases melee and projectile. You then get the blades of chaos back and in the third game the spear.

Wolverine has his claws and that's really it... That can get dull and boring VERY quickly if you aren't careful. They won't be able to copy the batman/spider-man template for this. An X-Men game would have been A LOT easier because you have so many different powers.

Blade is similarly pretty difficult to execute and has a much lower ceiling and floor. There have been multiple Blade video games and they aren't successful.

Imagine thinking Blade is answer to Spider-Man.

Blade is no more an answer to Spider-Man than Rise of the Tomb Raider was to Uncharted. Getting an exclusive Batman game would have been more equivalent, but even then, nothing comes close to Spider-Man at this point. The only things that have the potential to would be a VERY high budget Batman, Avengers, or X-Men game.

Gavon West

There is this weird idea that having a marvel property guarantees success...

The only massively successful Marvel games EVER has been the Insomniac Marvel games... You have another tier of success significantly lower with things like Marvel vs Capcom, Street Fighter vs X-Men, and Marvel Ultimate Alliance games.

There's a lot of reason to believe that Wolverine won't perform that well. It's an extremely difficult property to execute and keep enjoying for 15+ hours. You look at a game like God of War 2018 and initially you only have one weapon, although it has two use-cases melee and projectile. You then get the blades of chaos back and in the third game the spear.

Wolverine has his claws and that's really it... That can get dull and boring VERY quickly if you aren't careful. They won't be able to copy the batman/spider-man template for this. An X-Men game would have been A LOT easier because you have so many different powers.

Blade is similarly pretty difficult to execute and has a much lower ceiling and floor. There have been multiple Blade video games and they aren't successful.
Never said having a marvel IP brings success. Not sure where you got that. It helps in the long run though.

And you're doing a lot of guesstimating, speculating and plain 'ol dreaming. Because YOU can't imagine all the different ways a particular IP can go doesn't mean the same for those who made their career doing what you can't. No offense.

Never said having a marvel IP brings success. Not sure where you got that. It helps in the long run though.

And you're doing a lot of guesstimating, speculating and plain 'ol dreaming. Because YOU can't imagine all the different ways a particular IP can go doesn't mean the same for those who made their career doing what you can't. No offense.

lol, no idea what you're talking about

But apparently, you're delusional in thinking that this is a big get for Xbox when it's really a nothing burger.

The franchise has been on ice for years and was never that big to begin with.

Each of the 3 blade movies grossed less than daredevil...

Blade 2 the highest grossing of the 3 blade movies is ranked 99th on the list of super hero movies by box office gross... behind hellboy 2, green lantern, and ghostrider...

I'm sure they're betting the upcoming movie will spark more interest, but the ceiling is super low here.

Stuart360

Sony owns parts of Spidermans rights so it was probably easier for them to keep Spiderman exclusive, MS dont own anything Marvel or Blade.
Although Blade is way smaller character than Spiderman fan wise so it would be a bit strange to me if they could get Indiana Jones exclusive but not Blade, especially as its one of their devs developing it.

At the end of the day, who cares. I'm on PC and will play it their.

Last edited:

DavJay

Does MS ever announce platform for early reveals? Indiana Jones, Fable, Elder Scroll VI, etc

I think they gave gamers more credit than they deserve this being a first party created title 😂

Gavon West

lol, no idea what you're talking about

But apparently, you're delusional in thinking that this is a big get for Xbox when it's really a nothing burger.

The franchise has been on ice for years and was never that big to begin with.

Each of the 3 blade movies grossed less than daredevil...

Blade 2 the highest grossing of the 3 blade movies is ranked 99th on the list of super hero movies by box office gross... behind hellboy 2, green lantern, and ghostrider...

I'm sure they're betting the upcoming movie will spark more interest, but the ceiling is super low here.
Only it isn't super low, obviously. The announcement stole the show and has Sony fanboys port begging and thinking a first party Microsoft studio is going to develop and brand new IP that will also hit PlayStation. And you call me delusional.

To add: the new Blade will also be developed by a prestigious dev house with a well known pedigree. You can try to downplay the announcement as nothing burger all you want. Personally I think you're attempting to prepare yourself for disappointment and projecting when it's announced it isn't coming to other platforms. Do you bro.

Last edited:
Does MS ever announce platform for early reveals? Indiana Jones, Fable, Elder Scroll VI, etc

I think they gave gamers more credit than they deserve this being a first party created title 😂

Microsoft didn't own Bethesda when Indiana Jones and Elder Scrolls VI when they were revealed if I'm not wrong. As for Indiana Jones it definitely was planned to release on PlayStation but then they negotiated with Disney to make it exclusive.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Omg, can't it just be a (hopefully) good game?

We are now arguing who is a bigger "get" and how relevant blade is as a character?

Spider man is probably the most popular super hero amongst all ages and just in general!

Blade is absolutely no where near the same level but...is blade cool as fuck!? You are damn right!

A bad ass day walker who kills vampires!

He is a cool character, there's a new film coming and hopefully the games good.

I can't believe the up playing, downplaying ..whatever playing...

I just hope we get to playing the finished game and its good!

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
Blade is no more an answer to Spider-Man than Rise of the Tomb Raider was to Uncharted. Getting an exclusive Batman game would have been more equivalent, but even then, nothing comes close to Spider-Man at this point. The only things that have the potential to would be a VERY high budget Batman, Avengers, or X-Men game.

I would argue that Tomb Raider is a much bigger IP in relation to Uncharted than Blade in relation to Spider-Man.

In terms of X Men I would say Wolverine is X Men, and Insomniac are making that game.

the downplaying of Blade is downright hilarious and telling

No doubt there are reasons to be excited but Blade is a minor Marvel character. Arkane Lyon raises the interest level, even if I personally disliked Deathloop.

But are you trying to spin Blade as some sort of A or even B lister for Marvel? Come on.

Top Bottom