• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft: No Xbox One in Japan this Year: “Tier 2 Country”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis

Banned
Once again the Sony sleeper agents inside Microsoft strikes again.

I can find no other explanation. Otherwise insulting you potential customers like that makes no sense.

Copenap

While the decision is expected and absolutely understandable I agree with most here that the wording is a little poor :/

In English, yes. I don't know enough (any) Japanese to know whether the same applies there.
They use the English word, even written with the latin alphabet, so...

Of course, there is the possibility that the Japanese don't see it as a negative word, but I think the default assumption should be that they do.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
More like e-kuso box, amirite?

It already has a nickname in Japan being "Batsuichi" which basically is slang for someone divorced for the first time.

The bad part about it too is literally thats what it is if you shorten Xbox One to X1.

X = Batsu 1 = Ichi

Sorc3r3r

I cannot blame them for that, they have no chance in Japan no matter what they do at this point. I doubt they will be funding any exclusive JRPGs this time around and just let Sony do it if they want to.

I agree with your post.
Japan seems lost for home console, and even more lost for a MS console.

I'm very curious to see what impact the ps4 will have.
If even the ps4 will do nothing there....bye bye Japan, land of handhelds :)

Sales wise it is for them. It's not like anything will change the situation for them there. Asia market has to be focused on other countries for them. They always loose in Japan and loose hard.

Fady K

"MS: The Xbox One will be released in Japan next year."

There ya go Mr. Higuchi. See how easy that was?
KuGsj.gif

LOL. Why do they make it harder on themselves??

I agree with your post.

Sony's plan of launching a small console with support for remote play is probably the one with the most chance for success. We'll see if it works, but if not, I totally agree.

People will get hung up over the "tier" terminology, but MS not launching in Japan in 2013 makes sense. It's not a market that they have any chance of winning so why divert to resources to them. The NA market this holiday season is much more critical, that's where they should focus.

Once again the Sony sleeper agents inside Microsoft strikes again.

I can find no other explanation. Otherwise insulting you potential customers like that makes no sense.

Yeah, this is fascinating to watch.

I can't believe they worded it like this, and even in the Japanese they used the English word.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
In English, yes. I don't know enough (any) Japanese to know whether the same applies there.

Truthfully the most likely conclusion about the term itself would be that it was an "official" term sent by the HQ in the US and asked to be used when confronted with any questions in relation to how things seem to be staggered with the console launch.

---

For folks asking about the TGS and MS. Sensui is saying that there will be something to look forward to during the show. No idea what it will be though.

Basically on the same lines as "Please Be Excited"

Mlatador

Banned
For the launch of Xbox One Japan is a Tier 2 country and not a Tier 1 country

I think that will resonate very well with the japanese gaming audience. Now MS is below 0 at being successful there.

Rixa

I dont understand, how hard it is to use word "later" instead Tier 2? Stupid to use words & numbers that put us to different line as consumers cause we live in different countries.
Oyeah, my country is Tier 1, yours is Tier 2, live with it and get X360.

Into

I agree with your post.

I agree with you, if PS4 and/or Wii U dont start doing well, its almost a farewell to console Japan, kinda scary

Just have to hope for the best

Coxy

I agree with your post.

It amazes me that people can trot this tripe out week after week while PS3 games top the media create charts

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
I don't really see an issue with this statement. Japan is a tier 2 country to Microsoft. They sold about 5 xbox/xbox 360 there. Why would they waste resources? PS/Nintendo own it.

Savitar

It's pretty funny, Japan is the one country whose internet would have worked brilliantly with Microsofts original policies for the Xbox One due to their superb internet infrastructure. Not to say that the original policies were good but yeah Japan was best suited to it more than say America.

Alpende

This isn't exactly strange is it? The Xbox 360 didn't do well in Japan so why release your next console there the minute it's available, they have a lot more chance of selling more consoles in Europe and the US.

Feorax

Be interesting to see what happens with a lot of the Japan centric studios that were anticipating a multiplatform future.

If it's a game that won't sell gangbusters in the west, would you bother porting to Xbone?

sense

there is a reason why sony didn't bother with paying for final fantasy and kingdom hearts exclusivity as long as it is not on Nintendo console they would be happy.

So Microsoft, what you're saying is in your corporate eyes, the Japanese are second rate gamers? And you don't expect what little fans you have in that market to be offended... What a crock of shit.
Oh cmon you know thats not what's being said.

mclem

This isn't exactly strange is it? The Xbox 360 didn't do well in Japan so why release your next console there the minute it's available, they have a lot more chance of selling more consoles in Europe and the US.

The sentiment is logical and reasonable. The phrasing is abysmal.

SmokyDave

"We don't believe the lineup of games we'll have for launch is an ideal lineup to launch in Japan with, so we're holding back until we can do a better launch there".
"Fuck it, the twelve of you that would've bought one can go whistle".

nubbe

They should launch in Japan first.. they would only need to allocate about 1000 units and get some good will

Castef

Banned
So Microsoft, what you're saying is in your corporate eyes, the Japanese are second rate gamers? And you don't expect what little fans you have in that market to be offended... What a crock of shit.

No. They are saying that for their videogame business Japan is a "Tier 2" market. Which is true. Where is the offence?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom