• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft: No Xbox One in Japan this Year: “Tier 2 Country”

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the launch of Xbox One Japan is a Tier 2 country and not a Tier 1 country
tumblr_m5dt04pCTx1ry9o63o1_400.gif

d31m0s

Calling Japan a Tier 2 country... oh well, it's not like they were going to sell any copy of their console to begin with. But yeah, living in Japan myself... I don't plan on buying a Tier 2 console when there's PS4 out there.

Thats gonna hurt sales at least with the core gamers one is ps4 head start two if you talk to gamers in a way that seems insulting they will not buy your products .I sold my 360 during the whole recent fiasco and got a ps3. Plan to get a ps4 when either FFXV or another jak or RNC games comes out for it

Holy crap to get offended by this is ridiculous. I have no idea how somebody with decent reading comprehension can read the sentence "For the launch of Xbox One Japan is a Tier 2 country and not a Tier 1 country, so it’ll come with the second wave, that will be delayed a little bit [compared to North America]"and translate it to something like "Japan is a tier 2 country"

Jac_Solar

How come a large, resourceful, established, extremely powerful and wealthy company like Microsoft can't get decent marketing or PR?

The marketing for Xbox One has been terrible -- they keep saying these ridiculous, absurd things. The Xbox One itself was/is a mess in terms of policies and goals.

killbox

With it needing a Kinect and that needing a lot of room, the size of the console, and the original always online feature, it would be hard to make a console that was more poorly suited for Japan....

unless you made an atomic bombing reference in your marketing.....
...didn't know the direct X logo stuff....just...wow.

NotUS

It's quite apparent with this statement that MS are having supply issues.

They are staging releases to maximize launch sales in their key areas first and foremost. There is always the risk with launch consoles that your limited stock runs out quickly, forcing consumers to buy the competitive product. They are simply trying to minimize the potential hit in their primary markets if their stocks are low, and Sony's rumored stocks are plentiful, obviously at the risk of many international markets.

What's funny about this, is with every statement they have issued about this console, it has been nothing but pure comedic disaster. I must thank them for the great time they have given me with the Xbox One, it's been my favorite console to date, even though I will never buy one. I look forward to the release of Xbox Two.

Homu

Banned
Good news for me. I was hoping it would happen but for some reason I thought Microsoft had any kind of common sense left.

Fox Mulder

Couldn't have they worded it better? Saying you're ' tier 2 ' to a country sounds very insulting in every sense.

Almost every Japanese console has been released months or even nearly a full year before launching in other countries. The wii and WiiU actually launched in NA before Japan. Did anyone cry about insulting anyone then?

The Xbox has flopped for two straight generations in Japan. Maybe MS is also having supply issues and wants to give consoles to strong markets first. Japan being a second wave launch country is just the truth.

Microsoft again embracing that heel role.

"Let me tell you something, Japan. You're tier 2. Table scraps. In accounting, you're what we call immaterial. You're looking at U.S. Grade A specimen, the crème de la crème, top of the charts. But look at you, with your anime and mango or manga or whatever it is, with your handhelds, and the fact is this: we don't need you. Don't want you. We can finish first without you. We've got television execs breathing down our necks trying to be on our system. We've got sports commissioners begging, pleading, Japan. They want to be on our dashboard. We've got Kinect. What do we need with you? Tell me, what do we need? We'll take America, we'll take Europe, and you will be begging for us to ship to your region. And we might do it. But not this year. And if you don't get your act together, it won't be next year either. You're dead to us. Enjoy your 3DS and get out of my face.

Uh, we'll have more details about our Japan launch later. Keep in touch."

AniHawk

Tier 2 country haha. Can someone please just muzzle the entire Microsoft PR staff? Every last one of them from every territory? Actually, scratch that, this shit is so entertaining at this point.

i'm totally fine with them cleansing themselves through fire at this point. i don't want the xbox one to be a recoverable thing. the ps3 wasn't in the long run. it took sony 7 years to come back from where they were, and they had to earn it.

Tier 1 = Countries where Xbox's sell decently to excellently, only 21 of those exists
Tier 2 = Countries that use Xboxs for paper weights and electric stoves.

Tier 1 = Countries where Xbox's sell decently to excellently, only 21 of those exists
Tier 2 = Countries that use Xboxs for paper weights and electric stoves.
Tier 3 = For countries that may use it to launch nukes and other biochemical warfare. Attach Kinect to drone to check enemy pulse and confirm the kill. Use gestures to identify allies from terrorists. Assign codewords to yell e.g. "Xbox, Go Home!" to abort missions. Use power brick on steep slopes to prevent your turrets from moving.

Bleep

Microsoft could have easily explained that they have limited resources and localizing the Xbox One for Japan will take until next year without stating it in a way that comes off as them thinking of Japan as a lesser market. It's understandable that Microsoft think the Japanese market is less important than others, but that's not something you say outright if you want that market to grow. It's crazy that they keep making simple mistakes like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom