• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft: No Xbox One in Japan this Year: “Tier 2 Country”

Status
Not open for further replies.

MogCakes

ITT: Forum posters get "insulted" on behalf of Japan over a word implied to have a different meaning than the very specific context in which it was used.

ITT forum posters criticize the use of the word 'tier' with its connotations of hierarchy and suggest better words could have been used. That being said the title of this thread is quite misleading and may have caused much of the inflammatory posts. This is nowhere near the level of 'buy a 360' or other remarks from the US MS PR team. Just a bad word choice.

SpartanN92

Banned
So Microsoft, what you're saying is in your corporate eyes, the Japanese are second rate gamers? And you don't expect what little fans you have in that market to be offended... What a crock of shit.

Don't be that guy. Japan has never been interested in Microsoft's consoles. It's a cultural thing. Xbox is primarily an American targeted console. If Japan isn't gonna buy it then why spend the money launching there?

ALN1031

I don't see the problem. It's not like they went straight out and said "Japan is a tier 2 country.", they specified, saying "For the launch of Xbox One Japan is a tier 2 country", meaning that for the purposes of Xbox One launch, Japan is on a lower priority than other markets, which makes sense as I really doubt Xbox One will do well in Japan.

I don't like the Xbox One, but I feel as if people are just trying to get a little too offended over little things now.

Stimpack

Uh, we all know about DirectX, don't we?

"The logo originally resembled a deformed radiation warning symbol. Controversially, the original name for the DirectX project was the "Manhattan Project", a reference to the US nuclear weapons initiative. Alex St. John, creator of the original Microsoft DirectX specification, claims[22] that the connotation with the ultimate outcome of the Manhattan Project (the nuclear bombing of Japan) is intentional, and that DirectX and its sister project, the Xbox (which shares a similar logo), are meant to displace Japanese videogame makers from their dominance of the industry.[23] However, this meaning is publicly denied by Microsoft, which instead claims that it is merely an artistic design.[23]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DirectX

Pretty sure saying "Microsoft doesn't have a chance" doesn't put me too high on their "it" list, lol

I was thinking that even if they console sales aren't as good they shouldn't be referred as tier 2, because then every country in Europe that isn't UK is a tier 2 country, something that is not the case.

Is a weaksauce excuse like the ones "they" would use.

Gestault

I was thinking that even if they console sales aren't as good they shouldn't be referred as tier 2, because then every country in Europe that isn't UK is a tier 2 country, something that is not the case.

Is a weaksauce excuse like the ones "they" would use.

I gotcha. Like, sour grapes where even if they succeeded, it wouldn't be "good enough" sort of thing? Joking aside though, the market isn't green pastures like it was in the early 2000s, and I'd be lying if I didn't think that plays into the strategies for all three companies (and part of why Nintendo is so well poised at the moment in Japan because of their handheld strategy).

LAMBO

Japan is a waste of resources for MS, they just can’t penetrate the market, and if they want Japanese games for the other territories all they have to do it open their wallets to the devs a little.

It sure didn’t help that the initial XBOX’s push into Japan was called Project Midway, you know, named after the battle which the US obliterated the Japanese naval forces, it is the most stunning and decisive blow in the history of naval warfare.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Hope we get the tier lists soon, I need to see these matchups.

Zeth

Eek, seems even Japan MS PR is bad. They just inadvertently added a new talking point for the chorus of people who despise their existence. "Tier 2 country" wow.

What have they offended the 15 people who own a 360 in Japan? Their forays into the Japanese market have been a complete and utter failure.

I gotcha. Like, sour grapes where even if they succeeded, it wouldn't be "good enough" sort of thing? Joking aside though, the market isn't green pastures like it was in the early 2000s, and I'd be lying if I didn't think that plays into the strategies for all three companies (and part of why Nintendo is so well poised at the moment in Japan because of their handheld strategy).

Of course is logical for MS to not care enough for Japan market, but "courting" that market offers other benefits like niche games that helps your catalogue in the west too.

Games like Blue Dragon would never existed if MS didn't tried.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Japan is a waste of resources for MS, they just can’t penetrate the market, and if they want Japanese games for the other territories all they have to do it open their wallets to the devs a little.

It sure didn’t help that the initial XBOX’s push into Japan was called Project Midway, you know, named after the battle which the US obliterated the Japanese naval forces, it is the most stunning and decisive blow in the history of naval warfare.

Really? That's... one way to get people to dislike you I suppose...

Krakn3Dfx

For those Japanese gamers who want a home console experience, we have a product for you.

2505800-2611333284-05231.JPG

Ok..I'm almost completely convinced that a Sony fan is running Microsofts PR department ...there is no other explanation

you'd think they at least try harder then.

"For the launch of Xbox One Japan is an afterthought country and not a country worthy of anyone's immediate attention. For this we are classified as Tier 2. We are shit country in MS eyes. Please wait for MS seppuku in 2014."

kasane

Couldn't have they worded it better? Saying you're ' tier 2 ' to a country sounds very insulting in every sense.

MogCakes

Uh, we all know about DirectX, don't we?

"The logo originally resembled a deformed radiation warning symbol. Controversially, the original name for the DirectX project was the "Manhattan Project", a reference to the US nuclear weapons initiative. Alex St. John, creator of the original Microsoft DirectX specification, claims[22] that the connotation with the ultimate outcome of the Manhattan Project (the nuclear bombing of Japan) is intentional, and that DirectX and its sister project, the Xbox (which shares a similar logo), are meant to displace Japanese videogame makers from their dominance of the industry.[23] However, this meaning is publicly denied by Microsoft, which instead claims that it is merely an artistic design.[23]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DirectX

Wait, this is true? Holy crap! No wonder their sales are abysmal in Japan. Just the naming indicates their whole philosophy towards that market.

KaiserBecks

So we're all getting upset because they called Japan a Tier 2 country now? What's Sony's excuse for not launching the PS4 in Japan this year?

wow MS. I was a big fan of your consoles when you had games like Panzer Dragoon Orta, Jet Set Radio Future, Shenmue II, and then the push for JRPGS on the 360 (Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon etc). Now they're basically saying fuck Japan, and for that, I hope the Xbone crashes and burns. I miss the good ol days of sega sony nintendo. go home MS.

Does Microsoft even care about Japan? Serious question here.

They did early on in the 360's lifetime. Tales of Vesperia being locked as a 360 exclusive for a while was a big deal for MS, and I believe the 360 was actually sold out in Japan when the game launched as a result. Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon were similar efforts. Unfortunately they only made blips in Microsoft's radar. Didn't help Japan just doesn't like big/clunky form factors in consoles, which was basically the only way to describe the original 360.

So yeah, while calling Japan a "Tier 2 country" is borderline offensive, it's not surprising at all. The Xbox brand is notorious for just not catching on in Japan, so it was only a matter of time before MS pretty much gave up.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
So we're all getting upset because they called Japan a Tier 2 country now? What's Sony's excuse for not launching the PS4 in Japan this year?

They haven't said anything outside of a confirmation of Japan-specific details to be shared around TGS.

Amir0x

Banned
Tier 2 country haha. Can someone please just muzzle the entire Microsoft PR staff? Every last one of them from every territory? Actually, scratch that, this shit is so entertaining at this point.

graywolf323

I imagine if they said "second wave" this thread would be like 10 pages long saying MS is insensitive to use that word given the tsunami recovery is still going on and there'd be a billion gifs of X1s and Windows logos striking the coast.

they did say second wave and that didn't happen so no?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom