• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft: No Xbox One in Japan this Year: “Tier 2 Country”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really... Can they F'this up anymore? You user workding like Tier to describe a location without pissing off your potential customers.

Just say the that Xbox One will launch in these areas first and be done with it. I know people in Europe who are pissed about this news because their country wasn't on the original, so now you just called them a Tier 2 Country as well?

This is just stupid. The current PR tea, needs to go immediately.

Might as well call Japaneses developers Tier 2 developers while your at it cause your not getting any with this attitude.

sublimit

Banned
I don't think Japanese gamers will take lightly to be called "Tier 2" by someone like MS.
XB1 is going to be the biggest bomb dropped in Japan's history since WWII.

No. They are saying that for their videogame business Japan is a "Tier 2" market. Which is true. Where is the offence?
It's horrible wording, that's all. Normally it wouldn't get much attention, but with the PR shitstorm MS has been stirring up for the past month or so, this just adds more fuel to the fire.

EDIT:
XB1 is going to be the biggest bomb dropped in Japan's history since WWII.
...You might want to word that a bit differently.

DarkFlow

Banned
Really... Can the F'this up anymore? You don't word things like this without pissing off your potential customers.

Just say the that Xbox One will launch here first and be done with it. I know people in Europe who are pissed about this news because their country wasn't on the original list so they must also be a Tier 2 Country.

This is just stupid. The PR needs to go immediately.

Might as well call Japaneses developers Tier 2 developers while your at it cause your not getting any with this attitude.
What potential customers? All 50 of them will most likely still buy it anyway.

Chinner

Banned
can you blame them? the japanese are not going to buy the xbox one, it will just sit their pointlessly as they're smart enough not to buy it.

putting aside that, i would say a shocking PR incident but this is pretty much the norm.

Madness

What's shocking about it? Both consoles have failed there, the Japanese just don't like MS consoles. Sony and Nintendo are homegrown companies that will sell like hotcakes. Why waste money, time and resources. South Korea, India, China, Brazil, Russia, and many other countries are fast growing consumer marketplaces and would make much better sense to quickly get the brand there.

Castef

Banned
What's shocking about it? Both consoles have failed there, the Japanese just don't like MS consoles. Sony and Nintendo are homegrown companies that will sell like hotcakes. Why waste money, time and resources. South Korea, India, China, Brazil, Russia, and many other countries are fast growing consumer marketplaces and would make much better sense to quickly get the brand there.

This, word-by-word, topped with chocolate.

Just as a note, from what I understand there is no cloud server in Japan so this move would make a bit more sense. When the server is available towards the end of 2014 (by current estimates) they could then launch and unlock the full power of the console.

Of course other tier 1 countries like Australia who have no actual server are still fucked so I don't know how that is supposed to work.

Ooh god wrong choice of words to say.
But then rolling releases aren't new but shouldn't be a surprise these days.

I wonder how many preorders will be their day 1 and how many will get their preorders in the first month.

freddy

Banned
Have Microsoft fired all their PR? All I'm hearing lately is dumb execs making GAFfe after GAFfe.

Quick, lets post anti Xbox news and make it look like Japan is a Tier 2 country because it sucks not because its not a good market for Microsoft!

A smart company wouldn't give people ammunition. This is awful terminology.

Still to court the developers need to show support domestically also realistically.

No they don't. It's not not 2001 anymore, MS doesn't have to suck the east's dick to get popular games for their console. Japan does not have the influence it did even 5 years ago. They need MS more than MS needs them.

Microsoft considers Japan a "Tier 2" country?

Japan will consider XBONE as a "Tier 2" console.

It's really that simple of an exchange.

DarkFlow

Banned
All i'm saying is that quotes like these will make an already bad situation even worse.
It does not get any worse. I think they went months in Japan selling HUNDREDS of units. That's downright shit, and Microsoft knows it so they really don't care what happens there anymore.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
They clearly won't set Japan on fire but I sure hope they don't end up buying exclusives which would sell better on PS4 though.

I don't see the issue here. The console will sell better in NA/EU, it makes sense to prioritise it over Japan. Their games for Japan probably aren't ready yet either.

No they don't. It's not not 2001 anymore, MS doesn't have to suck the east's dick to get popular games for their console. Japan does not have the influence it did even 5 years ago. They need MS more than MS needs them.
Hit the nail on the head. MGS, Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Shin Megami Tensei, Dead Rising, Bayonetta and Dark Souls are the only "somewhat" big franchises from Japan at E3 this year that I can think of off the top of my head.

R.I.P Japanese game development!!

/s. Also, Nintendo titles are not on the list because I didn't want to include first-party stuff.

It's horrible wording, that's all. Normally it wouldn't get much attention, but with the PR shitstorm MS has been stirring up for the past month or so, this just adds more fuel to the fire.

EDIT:

You mean they may retaliate by not-buying an Xbox console?

Now, this is a VERY bad and unnecessary comparison, you know?

smh.. really

Too soon?

KeRaSh

The way I see it Japan did pretty well without MS so far.
Talking strictly about the Xbox division, not Windows or anything like that.

Miles X

Well I've seen it all now, people offended by the word tier.

SMH, anyway, makes sense. They're not going to win there, might as ell build a library up with a few exclusives and launch later.

They must be really supply limited if they can't spare the 10000 consoles they'd need to launch in Japan.

Might have something to do with not having the support they want (like Osaka not having a game ready)

Also didn't 360 sell a few hundred thousand in its first month?

iceatcs

Holy shit, insulting to Japanese people. It sound like Japan is 2nd world. He shouldn't have used this word, "tier 2".

Maybe lost in translate?

sublimit

Banned
EDIT:

Now, this is a VERY bad and unnecessary comparison, you know?

smh.. really

Really? :lol

What's the problem of my post?I didn't made fun of what happened in WWII.Actually Japan is my most loved country.
But the XB1 is going to bomb big there and quotes like "tier 2 country" don't really help the situation for MS.

I'm starting to believe that MS PR people are actually planted Sony employees. The level of incompetence at saying anything to the press or public is appalling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom