• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft: No Xbox One in Japan this Year: “Tier 2 Country”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Well, for them it's OBVIOUSLY a Tier2 country. They sold just 1.5 millions in Japan with a well-placed (in terms of price, timings and lineup) Xbox360, less than 1 million with the original Xbox, so this new one seems even worst for the Japanese market, so...
The thing I'd like to underline is that Japanese market, but also videogaming culture, really risks to be crushed under the economical power of the western developers in this "nextgen", even more than before, and I'd prefer to avoid this.

Interfectum

Tier 2 country? LOL

Christ is it that hard MS to get good PR?

Here is a free one:

"We do not plan on launching in Japan during Phase 1 of our launch cycle. We will continue our worldwide rollout and plan on having a Japanese launch during Phase 2 so we can be sure we have steady supplies for all regions."

DarkFlow

Banned
Tier 2 country? LOL

Christ is it that hard MS to get good PR?

Here is a free one:

"We do not plan on launching in Japan during Phase 1 of our launch cycle. We will continue our worldwide rollout and plan on having a Japanese launch during Phase 2 so we can be sure we have steady supplies for all regions."
And then you would all flip your shit about being called phase 2.

bloke

Yep he could just say something like "We'll announce launch details at TGS so please be bit more patient" ...guess the guy is on it's way to become head of Zynga's japanese branch or something.

If Microsoft has an attitude like this, why even release in Japan? I struggle to understand why any Japanese consumer would buy a product from a company that is this arrogant and treats their country like shit. Especially when it is such a large gaming market. Why are you going to TGS Microsoft?

Nibel

I think you need to differentiate when using the term

Sales-wise, Japan is indeed "tier 2" to Microsoft; the numbers for Xbox OG and 360 speak for themselves; using the term "tier 2" in any other context is dumb and causes anger like this thread

I understand what they mean, but they could have worded it better

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
"Yes, so please don’t report too negatively."

They really didn't say this. Someone please tell me they didn't.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Holy shit, insulting to Japanese people. It sound like Japan is 2nd world. He shouldn't have used this word, "tier 2".

Maybe lost in translate?

Nope it was used in the exact context. Which is why really do think its an "official" PR speak term given to all those who have to deal with the media.

What else can you say.
Wave 2 or phase 2 im European i'm used to this shit.

Or just say releasing at ____ first...

No need to say more.

Tier is the wrong word to use. The Japaneses gamer uses the term say which fighting game character are better than the other...they are now the other. The Japaneses are very proud and this will be everywhere.

SmokyDave

no, not at all.

phase 2 means you get it after phase 1.

Tier 2 makes it sound of secondary importance.

important distinction

Japan is of secondary importance though. It's a shame that stating as much draws so much scorn. We want more honesty from these companies but then can't handle it when they're honest.

BibiMaghoo

Some people say 'waves', he said 'tiers'.

No big deal, it is hardly offensive. Sucks for those in Japan that want one, but I cannot see the slight here.

Miles X

no, not at all.

phase 2 means you get it after phase 1.

Tier 2 makes it sound of secondary importance.

important distinction

Which is true? It's not slating Japan itself. It's pretty obviously it's not as important if it isn't launching the same time as USA ...

People are making a deal out of this because it's Microsoft and they can.

Striek

xbox_one_56666.jpg

Awww yiss, official tier 1 validation by MS, my country now has meaning.

kinggroin

Banned
I know the initial reaction to this news would generally be, "so what, it's a lost cause", but why should that be the case? Each new generation presents itself as a new opportunity for Microsoft to capture a bigger piece of the eastern market than before, and allowing your direct competitors the head start and chance for taking mindshare away....is not how to seize it.

Parakeetman

I do believe in the article the states that the term "tier" basically just means market level. Which makes from the business perspective.

To all those who are trying to make it sound like its something offensive its really not.

The official Xbox representative was using formal language like "において" and "であり," so clearly he didn't realize that "Tier 1" and "Tier 2," when used in English to refer to countries, are highly derogatory.

He was trying to be respectful and use "Tier 2" like "Phase 2," but clearly he doesn't understand western context all that well.

I'm sure loads of gamers on 2ch will play up the English meaning and mock the XBONE accordingly.

I do believe in the article the states that the term "tier" basically just means market level. Which makes from the business perspective.

To all those who are trying to make it sound like its something offensive its really not.

How is it not offensive. You wouldn't be upset if a company told you that you are a "tier 2" customer and aren't very important?

Well, for them it's OBVIOUSLY a Tier2 country. They sold just 1.5 millions in Japan with a well-placed (in terms of price, timings and lineup) Xbox360, less than 1 million with the original Xbox, so this new one seems even worst for the Japanese market, so...
The thing I'd like to underline is that Japanese market, but also videogaming culture, really risks to be crushed under the economical power of the western developers in this "nextgen", even more than before, and I'd prefer to avoid this.

That was going to happen anyway.

It's really ironic - Japan's initial shunning of the XBOX inadvertently managed to bring western console game development to the forefront in the west, thereby marginalizing Japanese games in the west.

LTWheels

I struggle to understand how Brazil, Russia and Mexico are considered to be more prominent gaming countries than Japan.

Large developing markets with more and more disposable income as time progresses. Japan is already entrenched in their game buying habits.

Brazil, Russia and Mexico offer realistic market share to gain.

Parakeetman

How is it not offensive. You wouldn't be upset if a company told you that you are a "tier 2" customer and aren't very important?

I truthfully dont give a shit about petty stuff like that. Since its basically PR speak and people would be freaking out just the same if he used a different word or phrase that basically said larger / smaller market. Which makes MS look even worse by saying that directly.

Since E3 not a single day went by without at least one thread covering a facepalm enducing move/comment from Microsoft.

Seriously, this
iblI14AchAdPFp.gif

needs to be in an open tab before refreshing NeoGAF.

What is going on with this company??

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
PR exists for many reasons, one of them being transforming what a company wants to what customers need to hear.

These last months, Microsoft has been handling PR like the worst student of the worst business school in the worst Tiered country. We discuss this for weeks, and they just keep on giving.

It's entertaining, no matter what you think of it.

Usobuko

Banned
So where does Asia stands? Xbox 360 probably gains a stronghold in some countries here compare to Japan ratio wise.

We get the console in late 2014.

freddy

Banned
Japan is of secondary importance though. It's a shame that stating as much draws so much scorn. We want more honesty from these companies but then can't handle it when they're honest.

"Due to lower than expected sales of Xbox in Japan we've have had to realign our priorities for launch day to greater satisfy, what we think will be huge demand for the Xbone, in other territories. We haven't given up on Japan, however and when we do launch there soon after, you'll see a stellar lineup that will be much more robust as a result of the extra time to polish titles"

There's some honesty without being a dick about it. It took me all of 20 seconds to come up with.

Parakeetman

PR exists for many reasons, one of them being transforming what a company wants to what customers need to hear.

These last month, Microsoft has been handling PR like the worst student of the worst business school in the worst Tiered country. We discuss this for weeks, and they just keep on giving.

No doubt its entertaining. But its more folks misunderstanding or not putting any sort of thought behind why something was said in this particular instance and blowing it out of proportion with knee-jerk reactions.

So where does Asia stands? Xbox 360 probably gains a stronghold in some countries here compare to Japan ratio wise.

We get the console in late 2014.

Dont know bout the rest of Asia but Thailand for example the 360 had the most pirated games running on it. Talked with folks there and one guy thats a huge gamer says its pretty much why the 360 did so well in country was the fact people could get pirated games for cheap, where the PS3 for the most part you had to buy the actual software due to how it was more difficult and more expensive to pirate on due to using blu-ray at the time vs DVD. Went to the underground markets and saw this firsthand myself too when was there for work. Pretty much books and books of all the 360s library in pirated format. Since internet is not only expensive for the average person its not in all areas, its not a real issue to the people who just want to play games and dont have to worry about trying to connect to XBL and getting potentially banned.

DragonNC

If Japan is "tier 2" country then what tier is mine ? 10 ?
Well I think they are right after xbox & xbox 360 fail in Japan.
Waste of resources.
Just forget that Hentai land & concentrate on West world.

These last month, Microsoft has been handling PR like the worst student of the worst business school in the worst Tiered country. We discuss this for weeks, and they just keep on giving.

What Yasuyuki Higuchi needed was someone from the USA Xbox team to screen his responses and be like "Excuse me, but Higuchi-sama...'Tier 2' is offensive terminology in English!"

Microsoft Japan not taking the extra care to carefully craft everything they say leaves Microsoft with yet another embarrassing slipup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom