• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fan asks Spencer for backwards compat, Spencer pats fan on head and says he supports

Status
Not open for further replies.

itsgreen

Well... back compat isn't there because they don't want it... it isn't there because it is quite tough to make work...

Ricky_R

Spencer's just going with the flow there. There's no gain in him saying that there won't be any BC on their system and he won't be misleading or lying with political answers like that.

BC is always a nice addition though, and any form of it on the Xbone would be great for fans.

bwrobins

Banned
selling an additional hardware addon for BC to the already most expensive console? How were those BC launch unit PS3 sales?

I am not suggesting a hardware add on, I am saying it is more than technically feasible without emulation.

Launch BC PS3s were outrageously priced. If Microsoft wants to regain market share they need to do something drastic. The price cut only brings them in line with the PS4. Beating Sony to backwards compatibility and having it be native and not streaming is a great selling point. It would also bridge the initial launch game drought.

Arkanius

Well, isn't one of the harder aspects of emulation having to force brute and reverse engineer how the architecture of a processor works?

Shahed

While 360 would likely be difficult, isn't OG Xbox a real possibility?

That would be nice. One of the main reasons for picking a 360 instead of a PS3 was to play the old OG Xbox games I missed out on. Sure I've played most of them now, but there were some that weren't compatible that I'd like to play.

But then again Sony need to open the doors for loads of PS2 Classics, and Nintendo needs to do the same for Gamecube games!

Assuming this is disc backwards compatibility and not just digital purchases (I'm not even sure there's a difference) it would definitely sway me towards picking one up. It's really the only thing I can think of other than a couple good exclusive rpgs like Lost Odyssey that would cause me to buy an Xbox One.

Lack of backward compatibility in current gen consoles (well aside from the Wii U and 3DS) is a big reason why I'm not even considering upgrading any time soon.

And without question, they've hurt sales of the PS4, Vita and probably the Xone. .

Human_me

Phil agrees with a lot of things, doesn't do much about it though.

Though isn't he head of Xbox now?
So he has a lot more power now than he used to.

These things take time.

If we did get backwards compatibility it would happen in a year or two.
Though it will most likely be like the PS2 backwards compatibility on the PS3.

muzzymate

I think it would be nice if MS unveiled a TV Tuner device for the Xbox One.

Hear me out, folks.

It would be a standalone TV Tuner, with all the normal functionality that entails, but it'll also have the Xenon chipset built-in for Xbox 360 backwards compatibility. As a standalone, it'll work with X360 game downloads and connect to an external hard drive for storage space. Hook it up to an Xbox One with the HDMI-out and a USB cable, and you can piggyback the disc drive and storage from an X1 to be able to use retail discs on it.

Sell it for $149, and it'll be a hot commodity. Offer versions compatible with cable TV and DirecTV, and everyone with an X1 would take a look.

I swear, I should be working at Microsoft.

I've also been trumpeting a hardware addon, discless Xbox 360 that when connected to an Xbox One with USB, does almost exactly what you are saying (minus the TV tuner). My thought is only have connect with USB, by essentially adding a second "HDMI input" to the Xbox One over USB. When in standalone mode, it's a download only 360 or can play streams of Xbox One games, like a Vita TV.

Microsoft has to find a way to stop the bleed from Xbox 360 users to PS4 and having some sort of backwards compatibility solution could sway some potential buyers.

I don't know where to post this but this still seems relevant in this thread but I have trouble believing in Phil Spencer he seems more a Yes man than a guy with a vision ....

The Xbone had a vision... which was rejected by the mass market. Phil is now trying to clean up and make the core tenets of the console as close to the 360 as possible, which is what most informed consumers want. He's got an ongoing uphill struggle though while it sells worse than the PS4 and with almost a year of negative PR behind it, compared to 18 months of right moves on Sony's part. So to be fair I understand why he would turn into a Yes Man, although I agree that it does seem kind of false. He just needs to muzzle all the other execs like Harrison, Mehdi and Hyrb, as they always seem to say the wrong things or piss people off.

rokkerkory

Phil agrees with a lot of things, doesn't do much about it though.

Are you kidding, you have not seen changes since he become head of Xbox literally like only 2 months ago?

If you expect widespread changes in tools, people and culture overnight you're very naive.

Fox Mulder

I doubt anything happens with BC now, especially since Sony proved you can just sell HD collections. I wish they'd just make some kind of HD-DVD drive sized addon that enables it though.

I've still got a backlog and it would be nice to be able to put up the 360 and still play them. I'm currently playing Conker Live and Reloaded on my 360, which is a fantastic game that doesn't require me to dig out the giant xbox.

Are you kidding, you have not seen changes since he become head of Xbox literally like only 2 months ago?

If you expect widespread changes in tools, people and culture overnight you're very naive.

The games they're showing off now were likely in the pipes before any of the xb1 struggles. The console is selling worse than they want so it gets price adjustments, and Sony's competition led them to drop the goddamn awful Gold requirement for apps like netflix. I think it's still too early to attribute all this to one guy, especially since he's was in control of MS Studios for years during a time when all people did was complain about their output.

the shift in PR tone is massive though.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
At this point, it would push lot of Xbox Ones. Why would people buy 360 if they can play all the old games and new once on Xbox One. But I also don't see this happening for many reasons.

mcrommert

Banned
Great name change mod ;)

Honestly if it wasn't going to happen he would have ignored the tweet...

I would love an example of Phil mentioning something concrete and it then not definitely happening

ValeYard

Hey, this build video might be helpful for the discussion. Emulation of 360 comes up in the Q&A at 57:40.

Basically, it is stated that emulation of Power PC on X86 architecture is "really hard," there are some plans, but nothing concrete to announce at the time of recording.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Would it not need to be the entire thing seperate? As in it's own CPU/GPU/RAM/Everything bar system storage ? Otherwise the USB would serve as the bottleneck for all the computations or something

I didn't think this whole thing through...

I don't see how this would be possible for 360 games (different architecture and all).

The Xbox One can barely play Xbox One games at a decent framerate/resolution, how is it going to emulate 360 games?

252649.gif

vg260

Ugh, this takes me back to before he reveal when we were all hopeful for a powerful machine with BC. If they somehow manage to release a unit with BC, I'd bite.

No way they'll put real 360 BC in the XB1. They didn't even get BC right for OG Xbox on the 360 (and gave up that project midway into the console's life anyway).

Maybe you'll be able to download 360 classics, though.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
They can't even make an emulator on PC that will run OG Xbox games. Not saying it can't be done, but I wouldn't bet on them doing it.

Xbox 360 has limited emulation of Xbox games and that was with a totally different CPU/GPU architecture.

Hawk269

Phil continues to agree with everything and promise the world. No surprises here when nothing comes of it.

Where does he say he promises anything and in particular this? He may agree with everything, but if you can point me to where he said he promised it that would be nifty!

If it's not possible, it seems kinda fucked to tell people to keep pushing for it.

If it's not possible, of course. Which is something I'll assume until it's announced.

jelly

The smart MS folk managed a good attempt with original Xbox to 360 before pulling the plug but they had good brute force to help.

Isn't the Xbox One and PS4 CPU garbage?

rokkerkory

I doubt anything happens with BC now, especially since Sony proved you can just sell HD collections. I wish they'd just make some kind of HD-DVD drive sized addon that enables it though.

I've still got a backlog and it would be nice to be able to put up the 360 and still play them. I'm currently playing Conker Live and Reloaded on my 360, which is a fantastic game that doesn't require me to dig out the giant xbox.

The games they're showing off now were likely in the pipes before any of the xb1 struggles. The console is selling worse than they want so it gets price adjustments, and Sony's competition led them to drop the goddamn awful Gold requirement for apps like netflix. I think it's still too early to attribute all this to one guy, especially since he's was in control of MS Studios for years during a time when all people did was complain about their output.

the shift in PR tone is massive though.

Don't know what you're seeing but all I have seen is change in last few months. Being head of xbox still meant he was under the terrible Mattrick which was all about financials and sales not about games and people. That's what Phil is about, you can read his tweets and his interviews and you will get that understanding. A simple example is Phil actually reading and responding to tweets, you don't really get that from an Exec these days do you. Then there's plenty of other things that has happened in just 2 months since he was named xbox boss.

Yeah it's still early to say X1 will be saved and all that, but if there's anyone to do it, it's Phil.

Jito

Banned
Srs bizness up in here now, can't doubt the lord and saviour of Xbox.
Where did he promise anything? He said it was a "good push," and "to pushing for it." He didn't say "yes, it's coming/no it isn't coming." Just that it's a nice idea and consumer response to something they want.
Where does he say he promises anything and in particular this? He may agree with everything, but if you can point me to where he said he promised it that would be nifty!
He didn't promise anything he just read it.

Did we read the same twitter exchange?

It's a joke about how he agrees with everything these days, you do realise you can't promise someone the world? It's impossible.

Fox Mulder

Is this "tales from my ass" or do you have an idea?

For those who don't know the perils of software emulation, this is a great read. Accuracy takes power: one man’s 3GHz quest to build a perfect SNES emulator

making a perfect emulator is quite different than just making something that runs games. Nintendo's VC output is slow because they are quite picky with the quality, so each one gets attention and it's own emulator. Sony just dumps ps1 games on PSN and people are still happy with the volume. The xbox emulation on 360 is full of issues even with games that work, but stuff is still playable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom