• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fan asks Spencer for backwards compat, Spencer pats fan on head and says he supports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tpa9Cza.gif

sauce? this is good shit

neither of them are up on XBL though. prices of them are damn high for a disc

Giantbomb Live last night. Its on YouTube. Don't have the exact timestamp but should be easy to find.

This is very different than Wii U's emulation. The emulation runs as a game/app so all XB1 features can be used along with the emulated games. It's pretty incredible. You don't need to boot your console into an emulation mode, so you can use party chat, twitch streaming, streaming to Windows 10, GameDVR etc... It's pretty amazing stuff. Also, our digital libraries are moving straight over from 360 along with cloud saves so we don't have repurchase stuff or replay previous portions of the games.

I should mention cloud saves work for disk games, too! Not just digital ones.

Sydle

Relative to the entire library? Yes.

They said this exact thing about OG Xbox emulation on 360 as well.

Save them to your files for future cross-referencing now.

I'm glad you're here, Percy.

Keep shining your light for us to see things for what they really are.

Indeed, but then in turned out that approximately 0.5% of Xbox 360 owners gave a damn about playing the old Xbox games that they never owned, on the Xbox 360.

Not to mention the fact that there wasn't really a great deal to add.

Why shitpost about Microsoft all over the board, then get defensive when someone calls you out for it, then go right back to shitposting.

The 360's processor is better than the One's as well, if I'm not mistaken.

Well if that were true this wouldn't be possible, not only is the entire Xbox 360 emulated onto Xbox One, its done it with a processor core and other resources to spare, given you can still run apps and other systems as well (although instant-on doesn't work so well)

When I downloaded the leaked SDK, there was a big section on the CPU, detailing how the Xbox One processor was actually much better.

ShogunX

I thought he said last night on GB that they're working on solving the problem of multi-disc games?

Yeah he did. I was going off the tweet the other day that said LO and Blue Dragon are working internally or something along those lines. Maybe they never launched with the preview program because of the multi disc problem.

Either way I'm just happy both are being worked on. I need to pick up LO again now though, god knows where that went.

Well if that were true this wouldn't be possible, not only is the entire Xbox 360 emulated onto Xbox One, its done it with a processor core and other resources to spare, given you can still run apps and other systems as well (although instant-on doesn't work so well)

When I downloaded the leaked SDK, there was a big section on the CPU, detailing how the Xbox One processor was actually much better.
To add: Clock speed has shit usefulness when looking at different architectures.

Bgamer90

Banned
There might be some cause for crowing if the backwards compatibilty as it currently exists wasn't so limited in what it actually supports.

Oh please. It's a feature that's on the system now; something that (obviously) some in this thread didn't think would be true.

It's currently in a preview phase and will be in a much better state in late 2015 (when it's released to the public) and (especially) 2016.

shinnn

Funny how the nicknames on the first pages keep coming at Xbox threads like they are not trolling. The sad thins is that people still try to argument with those people. Looks like most people have problems associating nicknames with posts.

Sorry if I don't want to ballwash... but having been a Wii U owner for the past ~3 years it's hard to really understand such excitement for a very small number of last gen games being playable on a current gen console is all :/

Also, I never even hinted or implied anything about Microsoft "sucking" in any way in my post, so please refrain from putting words in my mouth.

If the show fits...

The 360 catalogue benefits from several things with this BC: Kinect games won't be BC, neither will other peripheral games, publishers won't allow sports titles to be BC on a general rule either. They are working on multi-disc games now too but I bet they won't be in the first wave.

This cuts down the list significantly, they're taking feedback from what people want and will then take it to publishers. Its not a per game basis, the entire thing has been done, they just need to QA it, get publisher permission and test it to make sure everything is as you'd want it to be.

They said over 100 at launch (its in beta now) and more coming very soon next year. The only other consideration is publishers who want to remaster their games likely won't let it happen either. I don't see there being a lack of games here, its very different to how they did it for Xbox BC on Xbox 360, its also much better.

So you expected all titles to be BC from the onset? lol

Its not like its in beta atm too, hahaha

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
Yeah he did. I was going off the tweet the other day that said LO and Blue Dragon are working internally or something along those lines. Maybe they never launched with the preview program because of the multi disc problem.

Either way I'm just happy both are being worked on. I need to pick up LO again now though, god knows where that went.

I hope this means both games are sold on the store after they get this working. Lost Odyssey is getting expensive.

EDIT: Same goes for Mass Effect 2 and 3 as well, because I'd love to buy those games digitally on 360.

clav

I'm really interesting in knowing how this works. Itd be funny if its similar to how my project, project Astoria, works.

Heh. Oh you. Where's the flagship Windows phone?

I was thinking about that it probably works similarly with a x64 approach to PPC hardware that can translate the graphics data from X360 hardware to X64 with ESRAM.

Seems like every game is like a hyper-v virtual machine with each game bundled with all the X360 components. Since X360 required 16 MB of the core OS and then another 100+ MB for Avatars, I would probably say the next 200-300 MB is the virtualized hardware, and the rest of the data is the actual game.

ShogunX

Honestly I don't understand how the Xbone is fully emulating the 360. It's kind of incredible.

It's nuts that you can bring up the 360 blades in game, send messages and party chat with people on the 360. Weird fucking black magic going on.

see5harp

I mean. It's limited but the fact that on the day they announced, I could get on my xbox one and download shit like Geometry Wars and Mass Effect is pretty ridiculous. If they start immediately doing the ports for stuff that has been given away on 360 for Gold, shit will be super awesome.

Bgamer90

Banned

The Xbox 360 was far more popular than the Original Xbox and had far more popular games in its library. This is on top of the fact that the Xbox One has more digital features than the Xbox 360 (especially in its early years) thus making this feature easier. Microsoft is currently partnering up with third party companies to make backwards compatible bundles (e.g.: Fallout 3 and 4; Rainbow Six Vegas 1 and 2 with Siege).

You are really stretching if you are going to use the 360's backwards compatibility to downplay how the feature will be on the XB1. So many (obvious) differences.

tuxfool

Banned
The 360's processor is better than the One's as well, if I'm not mistaken.

Nope. You're mistaken. It has a higher frequency, but its IPC is a lot worse, It has fewer cores, and it also is an In order processor (not so much an issue for highly optimzed code). I don't feel like checking but I also assume it has smaller caches all around.

It's nuts that you can bring up the 360 blades in game, send messages and party chat with people on the 360. Weird fucking black magic going on.

Yeh, its so awesome.

I would recommend if you're going into a party for a 360 game and everyone is on Xbox One to do the party there, voice chat quality is night and day better on Xbox One. You can still do your party for 360 games in the actual game too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom