• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fan asks Spencer for backwards compat, Spencer pats fan on head and says he supports

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richie

So when Phil says he's behind an idea, he actually does the effort of making it happen.

Of course there are outside factors and things beyond his control so one must not wish for the impossib-BANJO IN SMASH BABY WOOHOO

The Flash

Banned
t1hel0e.png

BC is nice.

Sydle

Now let's get 360 emulation on PC.

one year later and, from what I gathered from a majority of posts, backwards compatibility is something no one gives gives a shit about. It's "super niche" (as if "niche" wasn't enough), apparently.

It was the number one requested feature on Xbox Feedback by far.

If anything, it goes to show Spencer is listening. Given all the port begging to PC I am surprised there hasn't been a ton of votes for bringing Xbox games to PC.

leeh

he delivered, what a guy
In all fairness, the wizard engineers delivered this. How they did it I don't know, but it seems to literally emulate the 360, as when you load a game it loads what appears to be the dashboard, and the guide is intact, along with the toast notifications.

Quickly searched whether or not I posted something stupid in here.
I did, but not as stupid as many other posts.

I didn't think native emulation would be possible. Very impressive that they pulled it off.
I still think native emulation of Ps3 on Ps4 is legit impossibe, though.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
This was probably the most surprising thing announced at e3. Good job on them for actually implementing this, I certainly wouldn't have thought it possible (or at least not in a way that would justify the effort spent on it).

The Flash

Banned
In all fairness, the wizard engineers delivered this. How they did it I don't know, but it seems to literally emulate the 360, as when you load a game it loads what appears to be the dashboard, and the guide is intact, along with the toast notifications.

That's pretty much it in a nutshell. That's why you can play online with people on 360 as well.

ShogunX

I think we can all agree that Spencer is a guy who gets things done. No better man to lead MS gaming at the moment.

May want to wait before this applies to more than a dozen games before the bragging starts ;)

I would expect that there will be a few hundred games by this time next year. The dozen available now are just for the preview members to test it. Why would they say that there would be "hundreds of the top titles available this fall" if they didn't know for sure that it would happen?

;)

I think we can all agree that Spencer is a guy who gets things done. No better man to lead MS gaming at the moment.

You will still get the clueless dissenters who are desperate to not believe. But its ok, they can remain in their corner in denial, whilst the rest of us play* 360 games on our Xbox Ones.

A current selection of 22 titles

Percy

Banned
There might be some cause for crowing if the backwards compatibilty as it currently exists wasn't so limited in what it actually supports.

Chris1

I would expect that there will be a few hundred games by this time next year. The dozen available now are just for the preview members to test it. Why would they say that there would be "hundreds of the top titles available this fall" if they didn't know for sure that it would happen?

;)

We also know of Rainbow 6, Fallout 3 and all first party games that will be added. That seems like a pretty big indication that Ubisoft/Bethesda are on board so we should expect all (or at least most) of their games... no?

rokkerkory

Going back and reading what I wrote last year, it's pretty great. lol

Good thing Spencer is a cool cat and has overly delivered so far in just a year.

jem0208

There might be some cause for crowing if the backwards compatibilty as it currently exists wasn't so limited in what it actually supports.

Here comes the downplaying...

It's not even released fully yet, it's only available for preview members. When it comes out there will be 100+ titles.

It was the number one requested feature on Xbox Feedback by far.

If anything, it goes to show Spencer is listening. Given all the port begging to PC I am surprised there hasn't been a ton of votes for bringing Xbox games to PC.

Yes, I agree. That's why I was surprised at the lack of enthusiasm shown by some people (which seemed like a lot of people to me) after MS announced it.

It was said in a time where Spencer was just saying everything people wanted to hear so it's not surprising to see the majority of people disagreeing with it and not believing. But, if we ignore that... sure, crow for everyone.

We also know of Rainbow 6, Fallout 3 and all first party games that will be added. That seems like a pretty big indication that Ubisoft/Bethesda are on board so we should expect all (or at least most) of their games... no?

Oh definitely. I would only expect that certain games that can't get approved to not be, games with USB required peripherals are flat out denied for instance. Then you've got games that were made by one company that had a license and the license has changed hands since that game came out so we won't be seeing those types of games either, which usually isn't a bad thing. I think that the platform announcements made by Microsoft are their big win this year: Backward Compatibility, Game Preview and the new UI.

It was said in a time where Spencer was just saying everything people wanted to hear so it's not surprising to see the majority of people disagreeing it not believing. But, if we ignore that... sure, crow for everyone.

Or maybe it was something they were looking at/considering?

If that Halo collection wasn't so heavily rumored I'd think there was a chance. Then again, what if the discs are just 360 copies that "play better" somehow on XB1?

It's a nice idea but I can't see it happening now that the console is launch. Perhaps Phil is talking about going forward with BC for the next console?

I really wanted this but figured outside of XB1 using that rumored mini-360 to run the games I figured BC was off the table. Even that hardware guy mentioning it was getting looked into though emulation seemed like something we'd never hear from again.

So happy I was wrong.

Or maybe it was something they were looking at?

Phil Spencer said on the Bombcast it was around a year ago they were seriously looking at BC.

Kyzer

Banned
Didn't realize how old thus was -_-

If this came after they already mentioned it was possible and they were thinking it through doesn't that mean it was probably already in the works?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom