• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fangirls/Fanboys, sell me on an under-appreciated game -- 2018 Edition

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
[Only restriction is that you need to have played it for the first time this year (2018). The game itself could be from any year, for any platform.]

Sometimes there are games that you love so much that you just need to shout it from the mountaintops. Which game really stuck with you this year and why have you turned into a fanboy/fangirl over it?

---

My choice is Flinthook. I consider it the first "platforming roguelike" to surpass Spelunky, one of my favorite games of all time and still one of the best in its genre.

The animation is cute and stylish:

tumblr_inline_oom68aArkr1qd93xq_500.gif

Indie games have the (deserved) rep of lazily using 8-bit and 16-bit art to mask a lack of development talent. Even if there's beautiful sprite art, the animation is where almost all indies fall short, revealing the lack of fit and finish. Flinthook, however, does not skimp on the production. Everything is well-animated and glitzy. I never felt like I was playing a budget title like I do with most indies.

Traversal is simple with a high skill ceiling:

takeaways_flinthook_3.gif

There's a lot of incentive to learn the physics because it's easy to die in this game. Your character -- Captain Flinthook -- does not have a lot of health and the recovery/invulnerable frames after being hit are pretty brief. As a result, poor handling of a single room can easily chop your health in half or kill you outright. When you master the movement, it feels so good zipping around.

I also grew to appreciate the slo-mo mechanic. It's crammed into nearly everything nowadays, so I thought it would be yet another lame implementation here. However, slo-mo allows you to pass through the bouncy-barriers, which you sometimes want to leave up (for one reason or another).

It doesn't focus too much on collectables but they're there:

tumblr_otnrfhG07X1r6pwnpo1_1280.gif

Kitting yourself out with new gear never eliminates the underlying difficulty. Death is still around every corner (as well it should be in these sort of roguelikes).

I admit, I am charitable toward platformers as long as they're competently made since I really love the genre. However, I only have a small handful of favorites that I truly adore. When it comes to Flinthook, I can replay this game endlessly (just like Spelunky). I even made a humble thread about it that I forgot about until just now.

---

What is your 2018 under-appreciated game?

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Fist of The North Star Lost Paradise:
giphy.gif

ab7.gif

Best game that based on anime/manga I ever played.​

Moonlighter is a great rogue like with a pretty fascinating loot system where you have to run your own shop by day and roam the dungeons by night to fund your further explorations of the various dungeons.

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/82OQwSvHcbQy3lTJmH" width="480" height="270" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="">via GIPHY</a></p>
<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/jaP6xbeszKHkDYV590" width="480" height="225" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="">via GIPHY</a></p>

Gander

Banned
I always thought that Fist of the Northstar looked dope just had some other games that came up first.

Helios

header.jpg

The game looks great, has great level design, all the characters are unique, has multiple ways to play through the game and is fairly cheap. Also the soundtrack is composed by Michiru Yamane.

42174AEC66A93237D4C8BEF3DD129921D2F41229

Athena~

Banned
Dynasty Warriors 9

Open world really made the game seamless and first time I had fun exploring China.

A whopping 90 playable characters beating Smash Ultimate.

Better looking characters than any other fighting games ever.

Amazing photo mode which you can change the weather, time, character expressions, dirt/wet levels, etc.

Multi language support - text and voices.

Co-op capability and other post released game contents support regularly.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Probably the least talked about thing I played all year was Return of the Obra Dinn, but it's definitely been brought up. Nevertheless... it's a very stylistic supernatural time-travel detective game set aboard a ship full of dead bodies in 1807 by the dude that made Papers, Please. Still with me? Good.

The objective is to figure out the entire crew's names and causes of death using your intuition and a special stopwatch that allows you to view a 3D snapshot the moment they expired. You also have a journal containing notes and a large drawing of the whole crew which you use to put names to faces. Some will be easy to work out - a name might be called in a scene, or someone may mention their work as a surgeon, and you can use the manifest to find the name of the ship's surgeon. But others will require better reasoning and some deeper investigative work in order to solve.

It takes around 8 hours to beat and is 8 hours well spent - even better if you use a real life notebook to assist you. I couldn't tear myself away and ended up finishing it in a day. Definitely the sleeper hit of the year for me.

siljzdf.gif

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Probably the least talked about thing I played all year was Return of the Obra Dinn, but it's definitely been brought up. Nevertheless... it's a very stylistic supernatural time-travel detective game set aboard a ship full of dead bodies in 1807 by the dude that made Papers, Please. Still with me? Good.

The objective is to figure out the entire crew's names and causes of death using your intuition and a special stopwatch that allows you to view a 3D snapshot the moment they expired. You also have a journal containing notes and a large drawing of the whole crew which you use to put names to faces. Some will be easy to work out - a name might be called in a scene, or someone may mention their work as a surgeon, and you can use the manifest to find the name of the ship's surgeon. But others will require better reasoning and some deeper investigative work in order to solve.

It takes around 8 hours to beat and is 8 hours well spent - even better if you use a real life notebook to assist you. I couldn't tear myself away and ended up finishing it in a day. Definitely the sleeper hit of the year for me.

siljzdf.gif
I've heard very positive impressions of this game. Sounds really cool.

Do you think it's a replayable game? And by that I don't necessarily mean that the game is different each time. Some adventure games are so good they're worth replaying even if you've solved it already.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Do you think it's a replayable game?

Honestly, probably not, at least not until it's been long enough for you to forget who did what. But you should absolutely check it out, maybe when it's next on sale.

Mathrin

siljzdf.gif

An absolutely worthwhile purchase. The thought needed for it, the assessment and sometimes guesswork to ID people and the whole flow of the game is REALLY good. Worth every minute spent on it

Top Bottom