• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fanmade song covers that are better than the original

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alastor3

Lately im really into cover song since I got into a class to learn the ukulele, and I stumble into one of Christina Grimmie cover of Titanium and I was speachless. I didn't know Christinia before the terrible event so I didn't know her voice or didn't have any nostalgia related to watching that video, but her voice is so powerful, I think I prefer that version to the original.

Christina Grimmie cover of Titanium

Im interested to see if you guys like other covers better than the original song.

Alastor3

What makes a cover fanmade? I imagine most covers are made by fans of the original song, even if they're professional singers.

I was thinking more like a youtube from someone less famous rather than a cover like Johnny Cash did with Hurt or Disturbed with Sound of silence.

sqwarlock

I was looking up covers for this song yesterday night and I clicked on this one. Couldn't get through 10 seconds of it.

Anyways, I don't think there are fanmade covers that are better than the originals but there are really good ones.

The formula for popular YouTube covers:

• Take an upbeat pop/rock song.
  • Slow it down.
  • Play it on piano/acoustic.
  • Sound really sad.
  • ???????
  • Profit.

Anyway, back on topic, I really like this cover of Hit the Road Jack.

Yesssssss. I absolutely love this arrangement. I would recommend another video tho: Technically it's many, many covers edited together. I always liked Canon even as a tiny kid but hearing it with electric guitar right when I was beginning to take my guitar more seriously was such an inspiration. It's not even so much that all of these players in the video are all gods on the guitar, far from it actually. There's obviously a few virtuosos scattered about but the rest are just everyday people of varying skill levels. What I loved about it then and still do is the feeling it gives me seeing all of these different people from all races, ages, genders, cultures, musical backgrounds, and skill levels and see them able to rock out together through the internet. It was one of the first times I remember being in awe of something the internet made possible. Props of course to Jerry C for the original arrangement and of course to Funtwo for his (probably best) cover. But this compilation video just enhances the emotional resonance of the song just by hearing all the little touches of "feeling" in each individual's. It's also nice to be reminded that others do indeed love music in the way that you do and that something as pure, transcendent, and just plain good as that does exist in this world.

Edit: Oh, and my submission is an old an well known one, but still one of the best in my opinion. I like it better than the original as it has a completely different mood and feel to it. Obadiah Parker - Hey Ya Cover

Oh, a straight cover? Hmmm...

Toto - Africa

Went to an open mic night at college once years ago. A guy hopped up on stage, super nervous, and covered this. He stumbled through the first verse and chorus, and then stood there playing the verse riff for a bit, then said into the mic "sorry, I can't remember the second verse, so I'm just going to play the chorus again." Sang the chorus again and got off stage.

Open mic nights are the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom