• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fanmade Uncharted level using 3rd Party assets and Unreal Engine 5

Imtjnotu

Judge Judy Reaction GIF

DaGwaphics

Not the greatest of these UE projects I've seen. But, it is still something that someone can just put things like this together.

SJRB

Gold Member
What am I even supposed to say to this?

The dude made a personal project for fun or to get some experience, and in that context it looks pretty solid! Can't knock the guy for creating something, even if it is with borrowed assets or IP's.

MarkyG

Amazing work. My only criticisms are the Bodies look like those of a child's and the animations are funky, almost like they've been halved. Drake's eye movement also scares me. Apart from that, sterling work. I wouldn't even know where to start with this stuff.

Always amusing to see people mock something like this, especially when it was created by ONE PERSON. It's a bit janky because there aren't 500 people working on it. The fact that tools exist to allow one person to create something like this in their spare time is astonishing.

5 years from now we'll probably have UE6 with full AI integration. If you think the layoffs are getting bad now, wait until you can generate levels and scenarios with a prompt

HOLY FUCK!!!!!

LMFAO why is Nate walking and talking like a fruit cake? Same looks better though for some reason.

But WOW, I'm seriously impressed by this. Falling into the fish tank and shooting the glass out! What a great idea! And the real time water physics draining through the hole were awesome!

I'm the biggest Uncharted fan you'll find around here and dare I say that this more of a cool set piece than the entirety of Uncharted 4? This is what that game was missing.

Last edited:

Toots

Gold Member
I'm sure a lovely person made it.. but this almost made me lost my desire for a new Uncharted.

Also made me realize just how massive of a role art direction plays in these games.
You don't like snowy mountain with castle, pirate ship, and radar station at the same time ??
Maybe if they added a volcano, dinosaurs and an UFO the scenery would have been complete...

Fredrik

Impressive.
But if you’re skilled enough make something like this, why not make your own thing?
I don’t understand what’s the goal. Can’t sell it, won’t look as good, in isolation it’s fantastic, in comparison with the real thing it looks terrible because then you instantly see every little detail where it’s not spot on.

mortal

Gold Member
U all shit on him but that single guy did more then whole naughty dog this gen.
Not to mention it would likely look even better with a more sophisticated production pipeline while collaborating with other skilled designers and artists.
I think it's a rather faithful take on Uncharted's game design for just one guy.

People see the name UE5 and automatically expect pre-rendered CGI-looking stuff I guess. 🤷‍♂️

Gojiira

Im sorry but this is awful…using store bought assets/physics/animations etc etc is not praise worthy.
And if we judge it based on its own merits,the level design is just nonsensical, the animations are trash and even the character models just look awful…
Plenty of single modders make MUCH more impressive work than this…

Shakka43

Well, if what they were looking for was an Unreal Engine fan made looking project they certainly nailed it.

Larxia

I think the discussions around these unreal demos everytime start to be a bit weird.

Yes, there are bad and lazy asset flips, and it's quite annoying when a very lame demo gets millions of views and people think it's better than a full game for some reason, when it's actually nothing, this exagerration is annoying.

HOWEVER, I also think that people got so annoyed by these, that they will easily trash talk every amateur projects done in unreal, even when it's actually decent work given the context.
This is most likely something done by someone trying to learn the tools, either for fun or to gain some experience, and it's really not bad in this context, I'm not sure why people have to be so harsh about projects like this.

The context matters a lot. The problem is projects like these being presented to people as incredible fangame blablabla, instead of just training exercice.

Last edited:

Neilg

For a portfolio piece, and show that they understand how to structure, plan a level, create scripted moments and a sense of progression across it, it's a fucking masterpiece. It's very well planned, lot of thought went into it, and it's actually executed in a way that's playable instead of notes and theories on paper (most junior designers portfolios)
The animations, dialogue and assets will be handled by other people on the team, they're irrelevant to the purpose of this.

Last edited:

Z O N E

Impressive.
But if you’re skilled enough make something like this, why not make your own thing?
I don’t understand what’s the goal. Can’t sell it, won’t look as good, in isolation it’s fantastic, in comparison with the real thing it looks terrible because then you instantly see every little detail where it’s not spot on.

He mentions in the description that it's a portfolio level design.

This is impressive for 1 guy. Especially when not many portfolios have an entire level in them like this.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
What am I even supposed to say to this?

The dude made a personal project for fun or to get some experience, and in that context it looks pretty solid! Can't knock the guy for creating something, even if it is with borrowed assets or IP's.

Exactly. And it's excellent. Also, an important piece of his portfolio if he's serious about the game industry. Very well done!~

SunRayzer

Neo Member
Exactly. And it's excellent. Also, an important piece of his portfolio if he's serious about the game industry. Very well done!~
Well, I guess he is serious about it as he is a Level Designer at MachineGames and works on the upcoming Indiana Jones game according to his LinkedIn page.

And yeah, I think this is looking awesome for a portfolio project ('Single-person design portfolio project, developed in Unreal Engine with third party assets and plugins (like IWALS).')

Not sure why so many in here ignore the 'Level Design' part in the video title.

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
This is insanely impressive for one dude. I really love the lighting, especially. This guy definitely has a future in game dev.

Pretty cool overall.

Top Bottom