• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fanmade Uncharted level using 3rd Party assets and Unreal Engine 5

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
What am I even supposed to say to this?

The dude made a personal project for fun or to get some experience, and in that context it looks pretty solid! Can't knock the guy for creating something, even if it is with borrowed assets or IP's.

Exactly! This is amazing for what it is. Not sure why people are hating on it.

Fredrik

He mentions in the description that it's a portfolio level design.

This is impressive for 1 guy. Especially when not many portfolios have an entire level in them like this.
It is impressive and I’ve dabbled with game creations myself so I absolutely understand the insane work that has been done here.

But I just don’t understand why someone this skilled isn’t just making something unique instead where people won’t instantly start focusing on every little thing that isn’t like the original.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
UE5 cant make the game automatically look good, there is need to be proper art direction.
elden-ring-shadow-of-the-erdtree.gif

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Platforms everywhere. Strength in uc4 is that it's all hidden in environment.
Pretty good or on guy

People are laughing here because they have 0 development experience. Is it polished? Absolutely not but, if one person did that by themselves, it's most certainly impressive. All the scripting work, level and asset creation, testing, etc. As a proof of concept, it shows that the individual has the base technical knowledge required to work with UE and be a productive member of a team.

saintjules

People are laughing here because they have 0 development experience. Is it polished? Absolutely not but, if one person did that by themselves, it's most certainly impressive. All the scripting work, level and asset creation, testing, etc. As a proof of concept, it shows that the individual has the base technical knowledge required to work with UE and be a productive member of a team.

Agreed. I just thought it was cool to share since it was beyond the occasional GTA V Unreal Engine vids that we're used to seeing. This was an actual complete level.

CamHostage

It is impressive and I’ve dabbled with game creations myself so I absolutely understand the insane work that has been done here.

But I just don’t understand why someone this skilled isn’t just making something unique instead where people won’t instantly start focusing on every little thing that isn’t like the original.

5K watches in 24 hours (surprised it's not more, actually,) versus 4.2k over 2 years for his next-nearest clip that was an original work.

Daniel Arriaga works at MachineGames, so he is making something for an audience elsewhere, but working on known properties lets you examine how those things work and apply lessons to your career project. Also has you engage in areas of business outside your skillset (in this case sound and character animation and things like that not connected to his Level Designer role.) These projects are also a calling card, and there's no concern back at the office about moonlighting or property theft if you work on something you have no plans on distributing. And it's just more fun sometimes making Star Wars or Uncharted instead of some generic concept you came up with (especially if graphic design or character-based storytelling is not your specialty but you get enough of it to get started from the root works.)

Tribute experiments are not completely unknown in graphic design or cartooning or audio or music or short films; putting the effort into doing something big like this for no reason other than to say you did it is more rare.

insanexer

Is this what we have resorted to while waiting for a new Uncharted game??? I realize we are thirsty for one, but not like this....

Montauk

Don’t need any more Uncharted games.

I want to see Naughty Dog move on to the new (and original) pastures.

Can’t believe people are seriously posting any of these terrible Unreal 5 fake game videos here.

Last edited:

MayauMiao

Impressive.
But if you’re skilled enough make something like this, why not make your own thing?
I don’t understand what’s the goal. Can’t sell it, won’t look as good, in isolation it’s fantastic, in comparison with the real thing it looks terrible because then you instantly see every little detail where it’s not spot on.
Its good for resume, shows potential employer what he is capable of alone even if its with asset flips.

Montauk

“What If [Game] But Better Graphics” part 1,536

Wow, how incredible. How inspired.

What if [GAME] but better graphics indeed! So fascinating.

Not surprising at all that people lap this crap up, but still very depressing.

That’s seriously the best some gamers can hope for - better graphics. The number one thing we are guaranteed to get. Not good games, not better games, not amazing new mechanics - but just better graphics.

Whoo-yeah. Really exciting. And with the same bullshit engine. This whole YouTube genre makes me want to jump off a cliff.

Last edited:

Fredrik

5K watches in 24 hours (surprised it's not more, actually,) versus 4.2k over 2 years for his next-nearest clip that was an original work.

Daniel Arriaga works at MachineGames, so he is making something for an audience elsewhere, but working on known properties lets you examine how those things work and apply lessons to your career project. Also has you engage in areas of business outside your skillset (in this case sound and character animation and things like that not connected to his Level Designer role.) These projects are also a calling card, and there's no concern back at the office about moonlighting or property theft if you work on something you have no plans on distributing. And it's just more fun sometimes making Star Wars or Uncharted instead of some generic concept you came up with (especially if graphic design or character-based storytelling is not your specialty but you get enough of it to get started from the root works.)

Tribute experiments are not completely unknown in graphic design or cartooning or audio or music or short films; putting the effort into doing something big like this for no reason other than to say you did it is more rare.
I totally get that he gets more attention. But if it wasn’t Nathan and if the source work wasn’t best animation in the industry then people would go ”Wow omg you made that yourself?!” instead of ”Nathan’s face looks weird and look at his spagetti arms lol”.

It’s kinda like playing the guitar and decide to make a Dream Theater cover. No matter how insanely impressive your guitar playing is in isolation you’re still going to have people frown at it because you won’t match or exceed John Petrucci.

WitchHunter

Banned
Nicely done, but... sigh... it's the collection of tiresome elements that nowadays populate action adventure games.

Last edited:

Montauk

Nicely done, but... sigh... it's the collection of tiresome elements that nowadays populate action adventure games.

Naughty Dog had an extremely limited bag of tricks, each of which they reused 10,000 times during the 4 Uncharted games.

Do people want to watch retirement age Nathan Drake ‘almost’ fall off a crumbling handheld as he says “no, no, no” again? For the 325th time?

Do people really not get tired of this shit? Totally scripted, predictable and shallow.

Last edited:

Pejo

Obviously doesn't have the polish of a AAA multi million dollar budgeted game with a studio of talented people behind it, but I think the guy nailed the feel of an uncharted game, particularly the level design portion which I think is the focus of the video.

If it wasn't layoffs-city in the Game Dev circle right now, I'd say this would be one hell of a resume booster.

Montauk

It’s genuinely hilarious to me that anyone would find this gameplay interesting or exciting.

As for the whole overall approach, vibe, spectacle etc - do you really want to do this shit all over again?

Ooh, stuff is happening in the background! Things are exploding! I’ll be talking about this amazing gameplay for years to come.

Ultra basic platforming, ultra basic stealth, basic shooting, bazillions of scripted events, slow walk-and-talks, the same old tired cliches, staring at assets (“vistas, so many vistas”) explosions, quips, gameplay as deep as a puddle.

Exciting things are happening around the player! Except not really. It’s just like a movie! Yeah, why not just make a movie then?

Big yawn to this tedious shit.

Guys this is crazy but there was a thing that Nathan was going to use to climb across and then the thing fell down and he quipped that he would need to find another way across! Wow, funny AND original!

I congratulate the creator on showing up how laughably basic the Uncharted games are, mostly relying on empty spectacle (money burning on screen), because obviously the comments on this video are people clapping like seals for this slop which just demonstrates that Uncharted 5 could come and be exactly like this (only with better graphics) and be applauded as some kind of masterpiece.

Last edited:

WitchHunter

Banned
Naughty Dog had an extremely limited bag of tricks, each of which they reused 10,000 times during the 4 Uncharted games.

Do people want to watch retirement age Nathan Drake ‘almost’ fall off a crumbling handheld as he says “no, no, no” again? For the 325th time?

Do people really not get tired of this shit? Totally scripted, predictable and shallow.
A brave reboot/alternative like GOW2018 would be very much welcomed in this space.

There is nothing wrong with those spectacular scripted scenes. Uncharted evolved a lot with those and I liked them, especially in the last game. What I didn't like were the contrived wall climbing parts. It's ok to do it a few times in the beginning, but later on, just quicken the process or drastically trim it down/throw it out altogether, because, just like you mentioned it, some elements were very overused. But that's just me, I hate repetitive filler shit. Maybe the target audience is mostly youngsters who have zero experience and gulp up whatever is thrown at them. Average people buy GTA just to roam around the city... they also play fifa and these ancient brawler games in a shiny new skin like tekken 12.

Maybe they need some infusion from the series called Banshee where the excon turned cop fella is a bitch magnet, fucks everyone at arms length, and bashed everyone's face in.

saintjules

It’s genuinely hilarious to me that anyone would find this gameplay interesting or exciting.

As for the whole overall approach, vibe, spectacle etc - do you really want to do this shit all over again?

Ooh, stuff is happening in the background! Things are exploding! I’ll be talking about this amazing gameplay for years to come.

Ultra basic platforming, ultra basic stealth, basic shooting, bazillions of scripted events, slow walk-and-talks, the same old tired cliches, staring at assets (“vistas, so many vistas”) explosions, quips, gameplay as deep as a puddle.

Exciting things are happening around the player! Except not really. It’s just like a movie! Yeah, why not just make a movie then?

Big yawn to this tedious shit.

Guys this is crazy but there was a thing that Nathan was going to use to climb across and then the thing fell down and he quipped that he would need to find another way across! Wow, funny AND original!

I congratulate the creator on showing up how laughably basic the Uncharted games are, mostly relying on empty spectacle (money burning on screen), because obviously the comments on this video are people clapping like seals for this slop which just demonstrates that Uncharted 5 could come and be exactly like this (only with better graphics) and be applauded as some kind of masterpiece.

Sorry to hear that's what you took away from the video. You could just ignore the thread and move onto something else, right?

Why not just create something original from your own mind…..

I’ll never understand why you would
waste time and energy on something you can never say you created this, here is an idea and a character I came up with..

Montauk

Sorry to hear that's what you took away from the video. You could just ignore the thread and move onto something else, right?

This is a discussion forum. People discuss things; are you familiar with the format? I posted.

You could just ignore my post and move onto something else right?

Last edited:

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Love how a lot of folks here are taking this to down and leaving disappointed. Its literally a single developer.
  • Doing the environments
  • The voice overs
  • The characters
  • The textures
  • and so and so forth.
I get that being impressed with something but feeling the (frankly repulsive) need to air online that you are some hot shit that cannot be impressed by these feats is hot shit these days, but feel free to make your own attempt.

Top Bottom