• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fantasian (diorama adventure RPG from Mistwalker) - Story and Features trailers, screenshots

Fantasian_03-02-21.jpg

Mistalker has released the information, trailers, and screenshots for Fantasian, its diorama adventure RPG due out for Apple Arcade (Mac, iOS, and tvOS) in 2021.

The tale begins in a realm governed by machines. Within this multi-dimensional universe, the balance of “Chaos and Order” becomes a key factor in the struggle for these realms and the machinations of the gods who wish to control them. Players will assume the role of protagonist, Leo, who awakens from a massive explosion only to find himself lost in a strange land with only one memory left to him. As players set out on a journey to reclaim Leo’s memories, they will unravel the mysteries of the bizarre mechanical infection slowly engulfing all that is known to mankind. The captivating story is written by Sakaguchi and is complimented by a sweeping soundtrack by celebrated Final Fantasy composer, Nobuo Uematsu.

New Battle Mechanics – Tapping into his experience from the Final Fantasy franchise, Sakaguchi brings to Fantasian several quality of life improvements to the classic Japanese RPG genre, such as the “Dimengeon Battle” mechanic, which allows players to send previously encountered enemies into a separate dimensional dungeon to streamline combat and maximize uninterrupted exploration of the beautiful locations.

Hand-Crafted Environments – Each of the 150-plus dioramas has been crafted by the masters of the Japanese “Tokusatsu” or special effects industry. Creating Fantasian’s real-life miniature sets are veterans who have worked on projects like the Godzilla films, Attack on Titan, and Ultraman. Fantasian serves as a vehicle to bring these amazing works of art into the digital space via Apple Arcade.

Legendary Soundtrack – Celebrated composer Nobuo Uematsu, known for his work on the Final Fantasy series and games such as Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon, created a soundtrack to compliment the memorable and magical world of Fantasian from catchy battle tunes to heart-pumping dungeon pieces, and moving character themes.

Novel Storytelling – To tell an epic story, a ‘novel’ approach was used in the form of a “Memory” system where players encounter and collect various memories, journal entries, and notes presented as miniature in-game novels to flesh out the story, realms, and characters of Fantasian. These bite-sized novels have unique artwork, music, and sound effects to offer players a truly immersive experience.

Fantasian_2021_03-02-21_001.png
Fantasian_2021_03-02-21_002.png

Fantasian_2021_03-02-21_003.png
Fantasian_2021_03-02-21_004.png

Fantasian_2021_03-02-21_005.png
Fantasian_2021_03-02-21_006.png

Fantasian_2021_03-02-21_007.png
Fantasian_2021_03-02-21_008.png

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Fantasian_03-02-21.jpg

Mistalker has released the information, trailers, and screenshots for Fantasian, its diorama adventure RPG due out for Apple Arcade (Mac, iOS, and tvOS) in 2021.

Fantasian_2021_03-02-21_001.png
Fantasian_2021_03-02-21_002.png

Fantasian_2021_03-02-21_003.png
Fantasian_2021_03-02-21_004.png

Fantasian_2021_03-02-21_005.png
Fantasian_2021_03-02-21_006.png

Fantasian_2021_03-02-21_007.png
Fantasian_2021_03-02-21_008.png

Wait not available for consoles? Crap... :(...

CamHostage

Is it me or does this look... real normal? It's pretty, but I don't understand what the point of promoting the Diorama concept when they've gone and made such a straight JRPG from it.

They've also transformed the Diorama backgrounds into 3D models once they're shot, so ultimately it's just photographic textures on regular 3D worlds. It's Photogrammetry from Toys, which is fine, but it's not the same as what I'd think of when I thing "a game made of Dioramas". Half the time, they're having regular 3D game backgrounds anyway and just zooming/panning around or filling it with Final Fantasy glow-particle effects (albeit a lot of the trailer is from cutscenes; the second Features video shows the worldmap and battles where Diorama is used better.)

The actual gameplay and the characters do seem cute, if pretty normal, again, but it's not catching me in motion as something special. It'll have to be real good to rise above the fray. Best of luck to Mistwalker at least.

PooBone

Where's Mickey Mouse? Where's the marching brooms?

Seriously, those screens look nice, but Apple Arcade is a stinker. Port that sucker!

I really hope this ends up on other platforms eventually . It looks and sounds exactly like something I want to play. Almost like a return to the days of PS1 style jrpgs.

But I have no apple devices, so I guess I'm screwed.
Yeah, same here. It does remind me of a PS1/PS2 era RPG.

Sakaguchi sounds like he really enjoys working on these projects, that they bring him genuine joy, which is cool to read (from the Verge article).

NahaNago

Sakaguchi sounds like he really enjoys working on these projects, that they bring him genuine joy, which is cool to read (from the Verge article).
Yeah, it really does seem like a very pretty hd ff ps1 game. Unfortunately they it looks like they have the ps1 battle system to go with it. Which is fine to a certain extent but it would have been nice if the battles graphics had a bit more kick to them.

Inno

This look neat. Like others have said it's a traditional jrpg just with a 3d background rendering gimmick.
From the gameplay video it looks like it plays just like any ps1/ps2 era jrpg.
I probably won't play it on an IOS device even though i have plenty. Would be down for a port to consoles/PC though.

MeteorVII

This is genuinely one of the most bland, generic, lifeless fucking pieces of garbage I’ve ever seen and it is shocking to see it come from Sakaguchi to be quite frank...

A shame that Guchi and Nobuo Uematsu’s legacy could potentially be capped off with this...

Kimahri

Banned

I'm just so bummed it's in Apple Arcade. I really hope it's not a lifetime exclusive. I went to the apple arcade website to see what's the cheapest cost of entry, but apple seems to think everybody owns an appropriate device already, and doesn't deem it necessary to make such info easily available, so I just gave up.

Is Apple TV the easiest and cheapest way of entry? Maybe I could borrow one for a week or two..

Life

I mean, can you blame them? Why make a modern fully-fledged RPG, with voice acting, progression, cutscenes, etc etc - when you can just pump out mobile "games" for less time and cost (and pressure).

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
This looks incredible, too bad it's only on mobile.
Apple Arcade games are also on Mac. And Apple TV as noted below.

Serious question, as I know nothing about Apple Arcade...can I buy this instead of subscribing?
At the moment, no. If it gets released elsewhere, then yes. If you haven't done the free trial already, there is usually a trial you can use to check it out.

Last edited:
Top Bottom