• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fantasy Life |OT| Living the American Dream

xexZRb9.png

Basic information
Summary
Prepare for an epic adventure set in a world filled with dry deserts, snowy mountain peaks, pirate-infested coves and more with Fantasy Life, an RPG containing dynamic life simulation elements, where players can explore the vast open world of Reveria alone or alongside friends and share discoveries together.
Embark on the adventure of your dream life as you craft, cast, fish, mine, battle and explore like never before!

With the innovative Life system, your choices don’t just upgrade characters – they help shape your journey! Explore a huge fantasy landscape beside surly, dark paladins, slick pirate captains, regal princesses, and others who share your taste for the unknown.

Change to one of 12 Life classes at virtually any time to access different abilities: for instance, the combat class has fierce fighters, while the crafter class is skilled at making stronger weapons and tools. If you’re not in the mood for battle, switch to a gatherer class and spend some time as a lumberjack or a fisherman – it's your adventure to play your way!

• Robust open world with distinct areas to explore
  • The game reinvents itself with each Life you lead – traverse an area as one Life class, and return as another to gain different items
  • Own a house in each town, and decorate them with furniture you create
  • Play co-operatively with friends, helping one and other on quests
  • StreetPass other players and see them turn up in your game as citizens of Reveria. Befriend these fellow players, and you may even receive new items
  • Unlock the Snapshots function, which will enable you to capture in-game screenshots by pressing the START button - just another way to show off your adventures to others!
Bx4l7HzIcAATOv2.jpg:large
Bx_CD8cIEAA68LM.jpg:large
Life classes
1wcApjv.png

Story
The world of Reveria, once a peaceful realm when suddenly its kingdoms are bombard by objects from the sky, Doom Stones. These stones not only emit a mysterious dark energy, which can evoke violent rage to Reveria's once peaceful creatures, but also prelude to a mystical evil that will bring about chaos and destruction to the world.

Enter you the hero
, who becomes tasked to find out the cause of the ancient evil and prevent the destruction of your world. With your partner the butterfly, Flutter, you'll travel the world of Reveria taking quests, living out your life and befriend other companions with the same goal as you, to save the world.
World Map
Multiplayer and Streetpass
Fantasy Life can be played with up to 2 other friends online or locally with Link Mode, an online communication tool, discover it by paying an in-game visit to the Guild Office in the town of Castele; once activated it will allow you to connect with friends when they are playing Fantasy Life at the same time, and exchange messages and valuable tips during game play.

You can even keep your friends informed of your in-game exploits, Link Mode contains a notification setting to communicate your achievements, and you can ‘Applaud’ the landmarks reached by others. Online multiplayer also has an incorporated chat system, so players can communicate when they are on a hunt, or foraging for precious items!

So whether you are in need of reinforcements to defeat a powerful monster, or are seeking to trade certain items with friends via an in-game Exchange Box, taking part in co-operative play with friends will help you accumulate much-needed experience and items to aid in your adventures.

*Be advised that it is not possible to advance the main story in multiplayer and those who have the DLC cannot play or streetpass with those who don't.*

In addition, this game supports StreetPass functionality, watch as other players turn up in your game as citizens of Reveria after a StreetPass encounter. Befriend these fellow players, and you may even receive new items.
NEDZlN9.jpg
znGyI2a.jpg

Bx1m-WvCUAAkNIQ.jpg:large
Downloadable content
Price: £7.19 (UK);€7.99 (EU); $8.99 (USA)
AqAVITJ.jpg

A downloadable content pack called Origin Island will be available for purchase from the Nintendo eShop at launch, which extends the Fantasy Life adventure even further. Origin Island offers a new area that is home to an ancient culture and powerful enemies, additional story content, new ranks to achieve in Life Classes, access to even more powerful equipment and two new varieties of pets to adopt: birds and dragons.
Birds:
sTWUNOQ.png
Vtc3plB.png
gL5de2Y.png

Dragons:
BegC9Wl.png
u5XeE6H.png
X2JukrR.png

Origin Island:
2Br1RrH.jpg

3WQGqHG.jpg

Official Add on information:
This downloadable content adds:
  • A totally new area to explore, with loads of new quests
  • Extra elements for character customisation
  • New materials, new ranks and new recipes
  • New types of pets: birds and dragons!
  • A new holiday home, new home décor and additional items
  • The Friendship system: allies that you take along on adventures repeatedly will become more friendly towards you, and the more they like you, the better they are in a scrap!
  • Exclusive items to exchange for Lunares Coins.
Please note:
Players who have purchased the Origin Island Expansion Pack cannot connect in multiplayer with players who have not purchased it. Multiplayer connection will only be possible with other owners of the Expansion Pack.
*Those who have the DLC downloaded will be unable to play with people who have yet to download it, due to added customisation features for your character.*

IMPORTANT INFORMATION:

The Expansion Pack needs to be activated in-game after purchase, and this can only occur once the main story has been completed.

Click here for further instructions on how to activate the Expansion Pack.

WARNING: SPOILERS!

When you download the DLC
Things you get at the start:
-Extra character customization
-Friendship system (allows NPCs to become friends with you and fighting better)
-Pet Birds and Dragons
-2 new houses

Things unlocked after the main story:
-A new area Origin Island with it's own story
-New materials, equipment and recipes
-God rank
-New home and furniture
-Lunares coins and the items you get from them
-Level cap increased from 99 to 200
-Level cap for the skills increased from 15 to 20
-Stats cap increased from 50 to 100
Screenshots and arts
Game boxart
Videos - Trailers and Gameplay
Frequently asked questions
  • I've downloaded the DLC, can I play with people who have not downloaded the DLC?
    Unfortunately you cannot play with people who have downloaded the DLC due to the increased range of customisation features for your characters, you will also be unable to streetpass with those who don't have it.
  • Can I play this game with EU/NA/JPN friends?
    It has been confirmed that EU players can play online with NA people.
  • Does this game run on a real time clock ala Animal Crossing?
    No, it doesn't you can play it in your own time without worrying about missing events due to being preoccupied during a specific time.
  • Can I save anywhere in the game?
    Unfortunately this game uses save points, although most should be conveniently placed.
  • How long is this game?
    If you were to only do the story mission it can take around 10-14 hours, if you tried to do everything it can become 200+ hours.
  • Can you have pets, mounts and followers?
    Yes, you can, in addition to your companions you can have pets and mounts that will aid you in your adventure, whether that be speed up traversing the land or helping you in battle.
  • What games are the most accurate to compare Fantasy Life to?
    The most accurate game to compare Fantasy Life is the Rune Factory series, as both have similar gameplay elements where you improve your characters skills etc to help further in game, except there is no marriage system ala Rune Factory.
  • How extensive is the online multiplayer in this game/can I advance in the story with friends?
    Unfortunately you cannot advance the story whilst you are in multiplayer, so you’ll need to advance in the story when you are not in the multiplayer. But you’ll be able to explore in different areas whilst in multiplayer, so you are not bounded to the same screen/area,
  • What can I do and can't do in multiplayer? (Credits to Chaos17)
    Things you can't do in co-op :
    - use link mode's chat
    - use quick map teleport
    - talk to NPC quest so be sure to take quest before going online
    - can only trade through a chest at the guild
    - you can't change job
    - you can't advance in the story
    - you can't use the hairstyler

Good thing about co-op :
    - exp is shared
    - each player has his own loot so no need to fight over loot. Only bounties are unique and up to 3 for all the party.
    - You get more exp if all players kill the same mob.
    - Challenges like killing X mobs are count for players with the quest.
    - Bounties reward multiply with the number of players
    - You can teleport to players within your online party with the map.
    [*]Why did the game take almost 2 years to release outside Japan?
    At E3 on Treehouse Live, it was said that the game had over 20,000
    or he might have meant 2,100
    pages of text that needed to be translated, which will understandably delay the western release of this game.
    [*]How hard is this game?
    The game is not overly hard as long as you allocate stats in a smart manner and create/buy proper equipments and items as you advance.
    [*]Why is the DLC a day one DLC and was this in the Japanese release?
    The downloadable content was originally a downloadable content for the Japanese release, which expanded the game into Fantasy Life Link! This added more content to the end game for Fantasy Life and online multiplayer (the game originally didn’t have online). Online multiplayer has been implemented to base game for the western release but Origin Island is still DLC, yet again this DLC is more of an end game content to those who want to play more of Fantasy Life after finishing the main game and want new areas to explore.
    [*]Are there any Special editions of this game?
    Nothing has been announced so it's unlikely there is, Nintendo UK store however is offering a magnet sheet with the game:
    10988118-1408350839-258958.png

[*]Didn’t this game used to be a Nintendo DS title?
    Yes the game did it was moved to the 3DS partway in its development, also if you’ve ever played Professor Layton and the Last Specter the game had an extra mode called “London Life” which was also developed by the same people, so it may seem familiar from there as well.
    3dsffupd1.jpg

Special thanks to Daan Koopman for the block size and videos, lite-agent (L~A) for the sub-heading both again for their Fantasy Life image galleries and Hours Left for linking the images of the DLC's extra pets

Hints and Tips from Redditor, OhGodAGirl (may contain spoilers, spoilers covered up here)
Bounties
  • You can use a mount while carrying a bounty (or three). Easy way to transport them to a clerk!
  • Dragons are needed for Paladin challenges, Wraiths for Magicians, Dinosaurs and Tasmanian Devil clones for Mercenaries, and Birds/everything else for Hunter Challenges. Switch your Life to the correct one right before you hand in a bounty!
  • Use the Guide Paladins! They give quick, easy transport that you can use with your bounties in tow.
  • All bounties (yes, all) have a 'treasure' drop - an item that is ridiculously rare. For instance, the Black Panther on Mt. Snowpeak has a chance to award a +4 STR necklace from his bounty, whereas the Killer Bee in the Drysand Desert can reward a high-quality needle for tailor. Even as a high level player, hand in everything!
Dosh and Coins
  • Need Dosh? Craft. Craft, craft, craft. Any top-quality item sells for an exuberant amount.
  • Save everything -
    Pam's Requests
    after the DLC is completed
    award two silver coins a day, and she asks for random (no, seriously, really random) things. I've had her request some Mutton Chops before, then next day she needed a High-Quality Azure Rose (Blacksmithing).
Bliss Bonuses
  • Not sure what to spend your bonuses on? Grab the maxed out bag first.
  • Ignore the armor-dye: you can only dye beginner sets, a select few tailoring sets, and the Hero-ranked Life sets. Pick up this perk last.
  • The Cinematic bonus only applies to the animated cutscenes; the little performance after mastering a life isn't viewable again.
  • Pets are very, very weak compared to allies; pick up the Life with Pets bonus only if you are role-playing or want dragons flapping around your house.
Allies
  • Queen Ophelia (unlocked during the start of the DLC, once you hit 50), King Erik and Fluffykin
    are re-donkulously overpowered.
    Queen Ophelia
    does critical damage. Take her everywhere!
  • Yuelia
    will heal you;
    Luigi Magnificus
    will apply a party-wide damage buff, armor buff and also heal you,
    in between cowering and begging for mercy at mobs (yes, he does this).
  • Friendship stat will increase the amount of special attacks a character will use, how likely they are to block an attack, their damage, their defense, and how smart they will play (for instance,
    Ophelia
    maxed out with 100 Friendship will sit around spamming whirlwinds of doom all day while chugging some potions).
  • Friendship increases from: days passed (in-game); completing bounties and handing them in; taking on boss nodes (Windstones, Elder Trees); killing bosses (e.g. Napdragon).
  • If you die and restart from your house or last save point, friendship will go down. Life Cures have no ill effects.
  • Always do something with your party members - if they are 'unimpressed' when they leave, their friendship will drop.
Lives
  • Unless you are roleplaying, pick up all gathering lives (woodcutter, miner, angler) in addition to your chosen life; most gathering challenges are simply to collect resources, which you can do regardless of what current Life you are in.
  • At Hero rank, you receive an
    exclusive class-only armor set for level 40
    . At Legend, you get a
    complimentary tool or weapon
    . You can not rebuy these, so be careful with them!
  • Achieving God-rank only gives you
    warm fuzzies, because Divinus is a scrooge.
Other
  • Have fun. This game has so much to do, but it will only stay interesting for as long as you keep making up personal goals (such as reaching max friendship with so many allies).
  • The Holiday Homes are worth it if you are just into the RPG aspect, as they are quick and easy transport.
  • Stats can be reset after you have finished the main story, in
    Al Majiik at night time. Head to the Library of Magic, and in the center, top floor, there will be a portal.
    It costs 30,000 dosh to reset.
  • You can get a variety of wonderful mounts from Lunares coins, for example,
    a crab, a unicorn, a deer and a dragon (and also Odin).
Useful Guides and FAQs
List of people for each Life + Life shop
"People kept missing quests for a Rank up, so I tried to compile a list. Ranked up pretty quick so unsure on some invite ranks.

So if you're missing quests just check up on the people listed under that life, high chance one of them has a quest for you. :)

All Life shops get extra items once you get that life to Master."
Shop list/guide
This FAQ is a list of all shops and their inventory in Fantasy Life.
The shops are grouped by area, in order of appearance. The aim of this FAQ
is to help people who know they've seen an item in a shop somewhere, but can't
remember where they saw it. CTRL + F is your friend. :)
Passwords for items and equipments
Note: Password is case sensitive
Document with all passwords for items and equipments for EU and NA
You'll receive:
1. Sailor Outfit: a Sailor's Hat, Sailor's Top, Sailor's Bottom and Starboard Shoes!
04TIt6R.jpg

2. i.Halloween Home Decor (Vampire Bed, Spooky Wall, Pumpkin Lamp, Pumpkin Scarecrow, and Lunares Decoration!)
ii. Pumpkin Outfit (Pumpkin Head, Pumpkin Costume, and Pumpkin Feet!)
iii. Mysterious Outfit (Mystery Hat, Mysterious Robe, and Mysterious Boots!)
uRPYUhe.jpg

If I had the time to dedicate to an Animal Crossing style game at the moment, I'd get this. Perhaps at Christmas or early next year. Looking forward to it!

lol true. Hopefully this does end up having cross region play, otherwise that's incredibly lame.
Yeah it seriously will, hopefully someone with a Japanese copy would be willing to try out with someone so that's one question scratched. I in all honesty hope it works for all region, cause more than likely make or break the longitivity for most people.

Why did the game take almost 2 years to release outside Japan?
At E3 on Treehouse Live, it was said that the game had over 20,000 pages of text that needed to be translated, which will understandably delay the western release of this game.

I still think the guy misspoke and meant to say 2100 instead of 21,000.

The actual words were "Twenty one thousand". It's easy to see how someone could get confused between saying "Two thousand one hundred" and "Twenty one hundred". The story wasn't picked up by any blogs so Nintendo never issued a correction, and 21,000 pages of text is just insane for one game.

Chopper

If the main story can't be advanced in multiplayer, what benefits does playing with others provide, apart from...fun?

Linius

If the main story can't be advanced in multiplayer, what benefits does playing with others provide, apart from...fun?

Yeah, I was wondering the same. I saw footage of three people taking down a dragon. Which was pretty cool. But apparently not story related then.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Great thing about eShop? I don't have to worry about games like this becoming incredibly rare and hard to get since I'm waiting for the new 3ds model.

Meffer

Have fun with this awesome game a month early you wonderful, beautiful European bastards! Seriously, you guys are great, enjoy the game!

Linius

Great thing about eShop? I don't have to worry about games like this becoming incredibly rare and hard to get since I'm waiting for the new 3ds model.

I just love getting physical copies. And this is exactly the kind of game that will magically vanish from every retail shop after a few months time :/

patientx

This game looks like the perfect quick get away game when you are eating lunch in the afternoon break at the office.

Santar

I see that the OP conveniently forgot to mention the fact that the Fantasy Life Link update was released as a updated retail boxed game in Japan.
This whole day 1 dlc thing just really annoys me, especially in this case as we know they just held back content to sell it to us for more money.

Maiar_m

I see that the OP conveniently forgot to mention the fact that the Fantasy Life Link update was released as a updated retail boxed game in Japan.
This whole day 1 dlc thing just really annoys me, especially in this case as we know they just held back content to sell it to us for more money.
Err, the boxed copy you're talking about sold for the same price the new boxed copy + DLC will sell for. It's not pricier. You don't even have to buy it and you can still play online. It is annoying, but not really the evilest money grabbing plot there ever was. Plus, you know, making money is the reason why they can make the game happen in the first place ^^

IDK, it's annoying because it will segmentize the user base, but I'm OK with the pricing and grateful for the option.

Pikma

Banned

"conveniently"? are you implying that the OP purposefully tried to hide information that could affect people's buying decisions? Maybe that's not it, you know, maybe we just don't care and the game is awesome and content packed enough to get it anyways. If you don't, well, see ya.

MNC

So, I'm still a bit puzzled. Is this just like, just grind and craft and do whatever in the open, or is there a bigger goal/story has a big focus? This game might be tickling an itch I didn't know I had, but I'm unsure what the full package will be.

Maiar_m

So, I'm still a bit puzzled. Is this just like, just grind and craft and do whatever in the open, or is there a bigger goal/story has a big focus? This game might be tickling an itch I didn't know I had, but I'm unsure what the full package will be.
The OP will fill you in on the details but you can do both: gather and craft all day or play it like a regular ARPG with a class system and beat the scenario and certainly save the world. Scratch any itch.

Kouriozan

The scenario of this game are the butterfly's quest.
There is a real story.

Chaos17

You're at it again ?
You're really stubborn or bored to bully this little game.

For the last time :
This change nothing because the Japanese version which contained that extra content is 50$ in Japan (source : Silliconera)
On amazon.com the game only is 39,99$ + 7.99$ DLC = 47.98$

So your whining is pointless because you're not been charged more than the Japanese version full version of Fantasy Life Link.
The bright side of this deal is that you will pay less than the Japanese version if the extra content doesn't interest you.

You want something really unfair ?
Then go ask Wasteland 2 dev why the physical copy is cheaper (in EU) than the Steam version.

Velcro Fly

Any idea how big the world is? It's the one thing I'm really curious about. I'm still day 1 for sure but I'm just curious.

Top Bottom