• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 3 PC performance thread

pestul

Probably mentioned earlier, but if you have an AMD card/cards and are experiencing stuttering, force a 59 or 60fps (I use 59, as some say it works better) limit. I use MSI Afterburner with the Rivatuner API detection to do this. I tried fiddling around with RadeonPro, but the recent releases have pretty much broken it for me with regards to overclocking/game detection.

Setting a limit to my fps of 59 was like night and day and the stuttering is completely gone with crossfire 5850s and 12.11 beta 11. I downsample 2560x1440 with generally all high settings and HBAO and nearly max out that 59fps in most scenarios.

This helped with BF3 as well btw, but it was mainly FC3s stuttering that was atrocious. I was like all the other posters too. Fraps would report great framerates, but the performance felt terrible.

EDIT: Try the new driver first I guess, but my solution will help if that fails.

EDIT2: I should have really mentioned how you do it. Obviously, install MSI Afterburner and go into settings to make sure the OSD is turned on. A Rivatuner tray icon will appear when its turned on. You can even assign hotkeys to toggle the OSD etc so you don't need to see it, or set it on/off per application profile. Add FC3.exe in Rivatuner and then select the wrench icon in the top right of the prog. Set your fps limit to 59 and apply.

mkenyon

Banned
New AMD beta drivers are out that help a lot with memory management in terms of inconsistent frame latency. Either they are out now, or they will be soon, can't remember.

Are you certain that FC3 has up to date crossfire profiles?

When there is a big driver update like this, and someone has been on the same format for awhile, I do always recommend a fresh reformat. Having everything nice and tidy for the new drivers can help tons.

Just curious... I bought this when it came out and haven't had a chance to play it. How will it run on my i7-2600K, GTX 570, 8 GB ram? Can I push the highest settings at 1080p if I dial down AA?

LiK

Just curious... I bought this when it came out and haven't had a chance to play it. How will it run on my i7-2600K, GTX 570, 8 GB ram? Can I push the highest settings at 1080p if I dial down AA?

i5, 8GB and GTX570 here and i have it at 2560 res with custom settings. most on Very High or High with HBAO and it runs smoothly here.

New AMD beta drivers are out that help a lot with memory management in terms of inconsistent frame latency. Either they are out now, or they will be soon, can't remember.

Are you certain that FC3 has up to date crossfire profiles?

When there is a big driver update like this, and someone has been on the same format for awhile, I do always recommend a fresh reformat. Having everything nice and tidy for the new drivers can help tons.

I think I have the latest drivers and I'm pretty sure the release notes said something about a Far Cry 3 crossfire profile. I'll check to see if a newer version is available direct from AMD (Steam's updater always seems a bit behind).

OTOH, maybe this is the push I need to reinstall Windows on my new, larger SSD. I installed on a 64GB for my boot drive and I'm sick of making symlinks.

Still crossing my fingers that my CPU was reset to stock 3.7. I'd like to think this rig is going to last a little while.

Probably mentioned earlier, but if you have an AMD card/cards and are experiencing stuttering, force a 59 or 60fps (I use 59, as some say it works better) limit. I use MSI Afterburner with the Rivatuner API detection to do this. I tried fiddling around with RadeonPro, but the recent releases have pretty much broken it for me with regards to overclocking/game detection.

I tried this with dxtory... I couldn't tell if it helped or not. I'll try it this way. TBH I used Rivatuner before and was never quite sure I had it working properly.

mkenyon

Banned
Yeah. Just get your processor to the 4.2-4.4 range for extra butteryness.

pestul

I tried this with dxtory... I couldn't tell if it helped or not. I'll try it this way. TBH I used Rivatuner before and was never quite sure I had it working properly.
Make sure to select FC3.exe along with the launcher and the DX11 exe just in case. If you set it so that the OSD is on just for that game, you will know if the settings are taking effect or not. If it does nothing at all, there must be a deeper problem, because this worked immediately for me.

gdt

How well does this game scale down to mid-range cards @720p.

6770m. Don't have a problem playing anything. Sans some AA here and there.

Dries

You could have the best specs, but if you're unlucky like some of us here, your game will have the stuttering issue.

Zeth

Is it possible what I'm seeing is this stuttering issue on a 660Ti? Freshly built rig has been slaying everything I throw at it but FC3 is giving me weird tearing/stuttering especially when I rotate/aim at any reasonable speed. Fraps is showing 60+fps and no amount of v-syncing seems to help it.

edit: ok, started from square one turning off everything through NVidia control panel, and this might have improved it. There's still perceptible tearing when moving around at high speed that I can't seem to resolve.

kitanii

Banned
CCC 13.2 BETA is available at guru3d.
NOTE: 13.2 contains a newer version of 12.11 cap2 so if you have that installed make sure you uninstall it before using 13.2.
While this one indeed decreased the stuttering it's still not perfect.
As of now the game doesn't stutter while I have between 50-60fps. Before it did so as soon as I went below 60.

CCC 13.2

Dries

CCC 13.2 BETA is available at guru3d.
NOTE: 13.2 contains a newer version of 12.11 cap2 so if you have that installed make sure you uninstall it before using 13.2.
While this one indeed decreased the stuttering it's still not perfect.
As of now the game doesn't stutter while I have between 50-60fps. Before it did so as soon as I went below 60.

CCC 13.2

So I can download the official 13.1 driver or the unofficial 13.2 driver it seems. What should I do?

kitanii

Banned
So I can download the official 13.1 driver or the unofficial 13.2 driver it seems. What should I do?

Doesn't hurt to try it at least. Who knows? Maybe you'll get a performance boost to your liking. Although in my case it's pretty much exactly the same as using 13.1 + 12.11 CAP2.
Then again I'm using a 6000 series card which probably isn't gaining nearly as much as a 7000 series card.

MrBig

I'm having crash issues with playing the game on anything besides the Low preset. When I first loaded the game I set it to ultra/DX11 and it didn't make it through the initial loading screen, so I set it to high/DX9 and it still did it, then I tried low/DX9 and it seems to be working fine, but changing the settings just crashes the game still. Anyone know of a solution?

Running 310.9 on a 670, Windows 8.

LiK

i'm hitting crashing issues again as well. played for a few hours and boom, it goes to black screen. tried some solutions via a thread in Ubi forums but not really working. so annoying. i thought i had it figured out a while ago but it appears the latest Nvidia drivers are still not working well.

Rainy Dog

I'm having crash issues with playing the game on anything besides the Low preset. When I first loaded the game I set it to ultra/DX11 and it didn't make it through the initial loading screen, so I set it to high/DX9 and it still did it, then I tried low/DX9 and it seems to be working fine, but changing the settings just crashes the game still. Anyone know of a solution?

Running 310.9 on a 670, Windows 8.

I had this problem but with an AMD 7850 card. Eventually found that it was only the Textures and PostFX settings that I needed to dial down to low for some reason, everything else could be set as high as they'd go including running in DX10.

Didn't crash for 40+ hours of gameplay after that.

catabarez

Can someone help me? The game keeps crashing on me so I don't know what settings are good for my set up.

I have a:

GTX 670 FTW
i5 2500k @ 4.4 ghz
8gb RAM

I tried the setting sethos put up in the first few pages but it still crashes. What should I set it at?

MrBig

I had this problem but with an AMD 7850 card. Eventually found that it was only the Textures and PostFX settings that I needed to dial down to low for some reason, everything else could be set as high as they'd go including running in DX10.

Didn't crash for 40+ hours of gameplay after that.

This seems to be working for me, thanks

Rainy Dog

This seems to be working for me, thanks

Glad to hear.

Can someone help me? The game keeps crashing on me so I don't know what settings are good for my set up.

I have a:

GTX 670 FTW
i5 2500k @ 4.4 ghz
8gb RAM

I tried the setting sethos put up in the first few pages but it still crashes. What should I set it at?

Try setting Textures and PostFX to low, everything else can be set as high as they'll go including running in DX10, Alpha to Coverage at Enhanced, HDAO etc.

You might shudder at the idea of setting textures to low, but the game still looks incredible with everything else maxed out.

LiK

^ I should try that too. Sick of crashing after every few hours. I'm assuming those settings are stressing out my card too much,

LiK

I rolled back to 310.70 and I still crashed but much further into the level. What fixed it for me was setting my OC to default.

Can I just install the older driver over the new one with no trouble? Really tired of the crashing after installing the newer drivers.

LiK

some dude in GURU3D forums reverted all the way back to 306.97 and lowered the voltage etc on his card and it fixed it for him. not sure if iw anna jump all the way back there.

Dries

So my stuttering only dissapears if I set my settings to Low so I have a solid 60 fps. Anything below 60, even 59, causes my game to stutter. But fuck that, I'm not playing on Low. Ultra gives me a great 45 fps, but it stutters like crazy cause it's not 60. I already sent a support ticket to Ubi in Holland, but the guy who is helping me is fucking clueless.

LiK

So my stuttering only dissapears if I set my settings to Low so I have a solid 60 fps. Anything below 60, even 59, causes my game to stutter. But fuck that, I'm not playing on Low. Ultra gives me a great 45 fps, but it stutters like crazy cause it's not 60. I already sent a support ticket to Ubi in Holland, but the guy who is helping me is fucking clueless.

Did you try lowering the resolution? My game is smoother after I lowered it to 1920. Too bad it still crashes. I may just either go Low or DX9 just so I can finish the main story. Really fucking annoyed with how graphics intensive this game is that it causes so many people to keep crashing.

Tried running this game on ultra with 8x AA and downsampling from 3200 x 1800 with a gtx 680, and i was getting about 25-40 fps which wasn't as bad as i was expecting.

looks amazing

Dries

Did you try lowering the resolution? My game is smoother after I lowered it to 1920. Too bad it still crashes. I may just either go Low or DX9 just so I can finish the main story. Really fucking annoyed with how graphics intensive this game is that it causes so many people to keep crashing.

Haven't tried but I'm really not lowering my resolution. The graphics are too delish.

SimonM7

I've been using the search function to the best of my ability and didn't turn up anything on this, so I'm just gonna ask.

Is anyone else having flickering graphics glitches on their 7950? From what I gather at youtube, this seems to affect the entire 7000 series of cards, but if it's actually such a consistent problem I'm surprised I haven't been able to find out more about it. Or, for that matter, heard anything from Ubi or AMD themselves.

Supposedly it affected 12.11, through 13.1 and is still there on 13.2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtEnsOevS04

That's what it looks like.

Any insight into this would be great. I finally got this card today as a replacement for my problematic and RMA'd 6870, and thought I was finally gonna get playing this game.

EDIT:

I rolled back to 12.10 without control center, and though I only faffed about for about five minutes, I didn't see a single glitch. 12.11 and onward indeed seem to be the culprit(s), and I guess I'm shelving this game again. Urgh.

Czigga

I've been using the search function to the best of my ability and didn't turn up anything on this, so I'm just gonna ask.

Is anyone else having flickering graphics glitches on their 7950? From what I gather at youtube, this seems to affect the entire 7000 series of cards, but if it's actually such a consistent problem I'm surprised I haven't been able to find out more about it. Or, for that matter, heard anything from Ubi or AMD themselves.

Any insight into this would be great. I finally got this card today as a replacement for my problematic and RMA'd 6870, and thought I was finally gonna get playing this game.

EDIT:

I rolled back to 12.10 without control center, and though I only faffed about for about five minutes, I didn't see a single glitch. 12.11 and onward indeed seem to be the culprit(s), and I guess I'm shelving this game again. Urgh.

For what it's worth I have a 7850 2gb, 13.1 drivers and I don't have that problem

SimonM7

For what it's worth I have a 7850 2gb, 13.1 drivers and I don't have that problem

:O

Ahhhhh! Nnnnoooo...! Surely what you meant to say was "it doesn't work for me on my 7000 series card either, Simon, so go back to finding a small comfort in the fact that there's nothing you can do!!"

.... Dammit.

Well that.. is.. somewhat awkward then. I guess I haven't actually tried a clean install of the 13.1 drivers specifically, but it sounds so odd that the one right before and the one right after would be borked on a driver level, while 13.1 isn't.

Are you doing anything else in particular as far as settings go? DX9? Any Radeonpro stuff going on? Custom CCC settings?

Gartikker

It has been such a weird experience with this game. I could play like ten hours with no problems, DX11 with all settings on high or ultra (nvidia 670 here) and then out of the blue started stuttering like mad with no apparent reason. Nothing worked basically even with everything on medium. Finally tried setting the maxfps=60 line to the game profile file and it's been fine with that for a few hours. Let's see how long it lasts.

dEvAnGeL

stuttering only goes away for me when i use MSI afterburner on screen display and that's only on DX9, i rather play like that, the way this game runs on DX11 gives me a headache, it might look a little better but i rather scale back on the visuals an enjoy the game

LiK

the latest beta nvidia drivers helped quite a lot. managed to stick with my current custom settings and had only one crash in 3 hours of play time. i was able to finish the game. the game wasn't as smooth as before so i might blame the drivers for that but at least it didn't constantly crash. if you're still crashing then check out the beta drivers.

catabarez

the latest beta nvidia drivers helped quite a lot. managed to stick with my current custom settings and had only one crash in 3 hours of play time. i was able to finish the game. the game wasn't as smooth as before so i might blame the drivers for that but at least it didn't constantly crash. if you're still crashing then check out the beta drivers.

I was able to test it earlier and was gonna post this. It's unfortunate it took this long to fix it.

conman

EDIT:

The only time I've seen "flickering graphics glitches" is when I'm OCing my card too far. Might something else in your unit be cooking it? Getting enough ventilation, etc.?

Otherwise, my 7870 is doing fine. And the stuttering was resolved by doing a 1-frame GPU buffer. Running 13.1 drivers.

SimonM7

The only time I've seen "flickering graphics glitches" is when I'm OCing my card too far. Might something else in your unit be cooking it? Getting enough ventilation, etc.?

Otherwise, my 7870 is doing fine. And the stuttering was resolved by doing a 1-frame GPU buffer. Running 13.1 drivers.

I've even tried downclocking mine, as well as opened my chassi and cranked up the fan speed. The only obvious, clean break between having the problem and not has been Catalyst 12.11 beta 8 and beta 11. Beta 11 and onward have the problem, beta 8 and before do not.

It's only really consistently visible in the starting village. When you're out and about you rarely - if ever - see it. Sometimes a road texture will flash, but not the whole environment like the video shows.

EDIT: Direct X9 works fine, too. If you guys are running at 9, then this line in the release notes:

Resolves Texture flickering seen in DirectX9.0c applications.

...has your backs. Guess I'll have to wait for drivers to correct that stuff in 10/11.

conman

This sounds interesting. Could you care to elaborate this more for the simple folk? ;)
It's simple. It's in the in-game "video" menu. Just set the frame buffer to "1."

For me, if I leave it set to "off," I get regular stuttering (every 2-5 secs). And if I set it to anything higher than "1," I get a big drop in framerate. I've had to mess with a lot of the other in-game settings as well to get a steady 60fps. The best way I found to optimize was to park a car in a shaded area and circle the car, facing it the whole time. If I noticed any sort of "judder" on the car, I had to shuffle some of the settings around. That included figuring out how to kill the stuttering.

Ultimately, the frame buffer setting did the trick for the stuttering issue in particular. (HD 7870, i5 3570k, 8gb RAM)

Dries

It's simple. It's in the in-game "video" menu. Just set the frame buffer to "1."

For me, if I leave it set to "off," I get regular stuttering (every 2-5 secs). And if I set it to anything higher than "1," I get a big drop in framerate. I've had to mess with a lot of the other in-game settings as well to get a steady 60fps. The best way I found to optimize was to park a car in a shaded area and circle the car, facing it the whole time. If I noticed any sort of "judder" on the car, I had to shuffle some of the settings around. That included figuring out how to kill the stuttering.

Ultimately, the frame buffer setting did the trick for the stuttering issue in particular. (HD 7870, i5 3570k, 8gb RAM)

Alas, that setting is always set to "1" on my end. Sadly, it doesn't kill the stuttering.

Top Bottom