• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 3 Review Thread

I'm less concerned about potential "tonal issues" with the narrative's violence, and more concerned about the dudebro douchebag to interesting maniac ratio. Because all footage I've seen shows your circle of friends as little more than obnoxious fucksticks.

I'm gonna hazard a guess that most of them die painful deaths

This makes the release date seem like a really strange move.

I'm less concerned about potential "tonal issues" with the narrative's violence, and more concerned about the dudebro douchebag to interesting maniac ratio. Because all footage I've seen shows your circle of friends as little more than obnoxious fucksticks.

I'd imagine that's the point. Frat bros go to fucked up island, realize they're in way over their heads and die horribly. Main character is forced through traumatic experience. Hopefully it's a better version of that movie The Island or whatever, with Leonardo Dicaprio.

Also yeah really I don't give a shit about the story in Far Cry. Did Gies make similar comments about Hitman? Because that game is flat out offensive in spots.

Gies also said the only reason people like the Witcher games is that they were PC exclusive, and that PC gamers artificially bolstered them to lord it over console players. He's a hard man to take seriously.
That's outrageous. Only rarely do you see that level of incompetence and ignorance in paid video game writing and that says a lot.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I'm gonna hazard a guess that most of them die painful deaths

I'd imagine that's the point. Frat bros go to fucked up island, realize they're in way over their heads and die horribly. Main character is forced through traumatic experience. Hopefully it's a better version of that movie The Island or whatever, with Leonardo Dicaprio.

I'm okay with a story of rich white 20-something Americans being systematically tortured and murdered. Thanks!

meta4

10/10 from Eurogamer and a positive review from RPS added to everyone else raving means that for the first time in years I'll be bying a Ubisoft game day 1.

And Gies is about the worst judge when it comes to story. The man liked the story in fucking Gears Of War.

Gies thinks Vanquish is a poor shooter. His opinion sucks mostly.

Shit cant wait. Best shooter of the year confirmed?

I'm okay with a story of rich white 20-something Americans being systematically tortured and murdered. Thanks!

I mean The Beach, not The Island. From what I've seen Far Cry 3 is borrowing a lot from The Beach (which is weird, since that movie is really bad, but the idea is cool I guess).

Zeliard

The Beach yeah. It's the first thing I thought of with this game.

UrbanRats

Pretty sure this will be amazing on PC with all options you'd expect. There is PC footage...think they showed settings?

It's a motion sickness thing.
And even 90°FOV is not sure to solve the problem.
Bought Dishonored and can't play it because i get a lot of nausea after a few minutes of looking around even with FOV at 90(some days is better than others, though), so after suffering through Deus Ex HR and not playing Dishonored, i decided to put away First Person games for good, though it's hard, as this looks really good.

Maybe with the fov at 90 i'll get to play it, on a good day-- this makes it sale material anyway, no more D1 for first person games for me.

Munin

Every review so far says the UI is completely obnoxious, and it sure looks that way on screens too. And apparently it can't get turned off. Sigh.

Krabboss

I was not expecting this game to review so well. It seemed like a game doomed to 80-hood on Metacritic because it was trying to do too much or something. I'm a little more excited to check this out now.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
No. But since it requires Uplay regardless of Steam so there isn't a major benefit to having it on Steam.

It's not Steamworks, but keep an eye on Amazon. They've been selling Steam DRM keys for Assassin's Creed III so it's not out of the question that they could be doing the same for FC3.

im guessing it relates to:

"oh no im trapped on this island I gotta kill this dude OH SHIT OH SHIT I STABBED HIM" *cries uncontrolably*

5 minutes later

shooting up 10 guys at the same time while making a propane tank blow up effectively killing 20 people *doesnt flinch*
Pretty sure this is what constitutes an Oscar Worthy Story™.

Keep in mind that the bad lip-sync probably only relates to the german dubbed version.
For sure. I've played the italian 360 one and lip-sync is very good. Moreover, I've had no frame-rate problems (while tearing is quite noticeable)... weird. However votes well deserved, great game!

Dennis

Banned
Every review so far says the UI is completely obnoxious, and it sure looks that way on screens too. And apparently it can't get turned off. Sigh.

Hype over. Pre-order cancelled. Just shut the thread down.

HUD fucking sucks. I am not the Terminator. Get that shit off my screen.

Zeliard

im guessing it relates to:

"oh no im trapped on this island I gotta kill this dude OH SHIT OH SHIT I STABBED HIM" *cries uncontrolably*

5 minutes later

shooting up 10 guys at the same time while making a propane tank blow up effectively killing 20 people *doesnt flinch*

It's a problem that basically every sandbox-style and/or open world game will face. You give players the freedom to do whatever they want and chances are they'll do stuff contrary to how the character is built up in the narrative. It's a hard thing to combat without in some fashion limiting player choice.

It's a motion sickness thing.
And even 90°FOV is not sure to solve the problem.
Bought Dishonored and can't play it because i get a lot of nausea after a few minutes of looking around even with FOV at 90(some days is better than others, though), so after suffering through Deus Ex HR and not playing Dishonored, i decided to put away First Person games for good, though it's hard, as this looks really good.

Maybe with the fov at 90 i'll get to play it, on a good day-- this makes it sale material anyway, no more D1 for first person games for me.
Oh man, have you ever played Peter Jackson's King Kong? That game would give you an aneurysm

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
An FYI-

The release date for this is Friday of next week in Europe, and the following Tuesday for the the US.

You can buy it on Gamersgate if you're in the US, and they have the release date as next Friday on the site. So, unless Ubi region locks through the UbiStore, you should be able to play this next Friday if you buy it from Gamersgate.

GMG, on the other hand, actually blocks US customers from buying it on their site.

Dipswitch

I dunno.....I don't see any references to being assassinated by jeeps in the reviews. Is it a true Far Cry game then??

Kidding aside, they seem to have fixed a lot of the things that bugged me in FC 2. Color me intrigued.

-BLITZ-

I mean yes, the game automatically tags the enemies if you point at them with your camera but there's little point doing that if you don't want to tag them.

It does auto-tag them.

You press up on the d-pad to get your camera out, and once you zoom right in with it, you can spot enemies, but you don't have to press a button to have that icon appear. Each icon shows what type of enemy they are (heavy, sniper, etc), too.

You can see through things by using a syringe you can craft, which allows you to have a heightened sense of smell, you can craft one like that for hunting too.

Far, far better, imho.

Is still a relief to find out that these are optional, I just don't want Dishonored power to a Far Cry game. Thanks a lot.

Top Bottom