• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 3 Review Thread

pbhawks45

Banned
God, this game looks incredible on consoles. I mean, I'm hyped for the next generation, but seeing stuff like this is a reminder of how good games look, even on hardware that's seven years old. Insane.

I had a feeling this game would be good.

Ok, it was also based on the trailer and gameplay footage. I was kind of surprised it wasn't getting any hype.

Gamekult (French site): 8/10 (Very good)

The good:
  • It's really gorgeous
  • Quite a vast playing area
  • Lots of things to do
  • Various methods to progress in the game
  • Guns are fun to use
  • Long
  • Vaas

The bad:
  • (The engine) is really demanding
  • Monotonous settings and enemies
  • Multiplayer sucks
  • Not enough Vaas
http://www.gamekult.com/jeux/test-far-cry-3-SU3010007256t.html#pc

Jeuxvideo.com (French site): 18/20

Graphics: 17/20
Gameplay: 18/20
Length: 18/20
Soundtrack: 16/20
Scenario: 17/20

General: 18/20
http://www.jeuxvideo.com/articles/0001/00017998-far-cry-3-test.htm

Did any of the reviews mention about the stealth still broken? If I can creep up on people using a silenced pistol without being noticed, then consider my hype increased.

Damn - well there goes my plan of getting through the holidays without buying a new game. As soon as I see "better than Far Cry 2" and those scores I am in.

I hadn't really been tracking this game, but got a feeling through random comments to not expect much. Very pleased to see this looks like a great game.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
this is one of those rare cases where a delay was actually a development delay and it REALLY helped bring the full package together

pbhawks45

Banned
Man, considering how many disappointing "3" games we've had this generation, it's nice to see one be surprisingly good. Has there been one this generation that hasn't been a let down that I'm missing?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Talk of repetitive environments concern me. I hated the idea of going back to another fucking tropical jungle for this reason.

-BLITZ-

Oh man, so many vidoes are showing up. I have two Sundays to go through with this, but I don't think I can take it soon. :(

Karamsoul

Did any of the reviews mention about the stealth still broken? If I can creep up on people using a silenced pistol without being noticed, then consider my hype increased.

From the IGN live feed that I saw, the stealth is perfectly implemented (Read as: in the complete opposite direction of Far Cry 2). :)

Same. There's only so much you can do on a tropical island

Hopefully the island has a bit of a backstory and some interesting characters and locations. It sounds like it does, though. And wildlife. Certainly a totally generic Far Cry 1 type island would not be much to get excited about.

tha_devil

Wow I had no idea Mass Effect 3 ended up with 93%. Bioware must be well pleased.

This is clearly example of reviewers not finishing the game.

Anyways, its been quite a disappointing year.

Only games that saved it and will be considered (cult)classisc are journey and zero escape virtue's last reward.

Talk of repetitive environments concern me. I hated the idea of going back to another fucking tropical jungle for this reason.

See am the opposite. It puts out the idea of isolation and just not having a clue what is going on. Am not really a fan off the paths being too obvious.

ironcreed

Banned
The game is so gorgeous I think I will be more than fine with the environment. Besides, consider the vivid hallucinations and the Indiana Jones style ruins and temples as well. Not worried about variety here at all.

Karamsoul

Yeah I also want to hear about the stealth. It was terrible in Far Cry 2.

Stealth has been improved by quite a lot. The IGN live feed showed the player being able to sneak up and perform stealth kills. Sometimes even by distancing an NPC from his group and taking him out.

No more Robocop enemies being able to spot you at 400 yards and firing at you with 100% hit success, either.

Every review so far says the UI is completely obnoxious, and it sure looks that way on screens too. And apparently it can't get turned off. Sigh.

seinfeld.gif

That's a dealbreaker for me.

CyReN

Wow Ubisoft, once I saw the December 4th date I thought for sure it would get delayed or be rushed. Can't wait to pick it up.

ugh, that tearing and shitty framerate...

That's the YT video. I think if the game had tearing that bad reviews would have called it a broken mess.

Love this, from the Edge review:
Edge said:
Far Cry 2’s civil war existed in rigid stalemate, with little direct contact between its two interchangeable factions. There’s a greater sense of conflict in Far Cry 3, where the colour-coded pirate and native patrols can stumble across one another and engage in unscripted skirmishes. Add in the island’s native animal population (which is surely large and aggressive enough to qualify for third faction status), and you have a recipe for some beautifully emergent chaos and occasional comedy. So a simple shootout between Jason and an enemy patrol could get gatecrashed by some overly keen islanders who, in their rush to lend assistance, inadvertently attract the attention of small pack of komodo dragons. At one point, we were bought precious seconds to heal and find cover when a tapir, rest its soul, unwittingly strolled into the path of a reinforcement-packed jeep.

Top Bottom