• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 3 seems to take one step forward, two steps back (RPS impressions inside)

Zeliard

I'll admit, despite my distaste, I'm tempted to load it up yet again and give it another shot. I want to understand what it is that people love so much.

Far Cry 2 felt distinctive, fresh, open-ended, and ambitious enough even despite its somewhat unfavorable contrast to the designers' original promises. It wasn't a very welcoming game and forced you to become acclimated to its strange, dangerous ways, and I generally view that as a plus.

I consider it to some extent a lesser STALKER, and I don't say that as an insult, as I think STALKER is basically a masterpiece. I can easily forgive elements of jank for bold game design efforts, especially these days.

I wish Far Cry 3 had tried to bring the series more in line with what the developers had originally intended for FC2, but apparently they moved in the other direction.

Syriel

WorthPlaying: Far Cry 3 - The First Four Hours

WorthPlaying said:
As our time with the game came to a close, the one thing that stood out about Far Cry 3 is that it never felt forced. Sure, the story missions have specific tasks to perform, but we never felt as though the game was dragging us around by a leash or artificially constraining the available paths. Exploring the island always felt organic, whether we were going after a specific objective or simply wandering around. In the end, it's that feeling of freedom that will likely be Far Cry 3's most appealing aspect.

Far Cry 2 felt distinctive, fresh, open-ended, and ambitious enough even despite its somewhat unfavorable contrast to the designers' original promises. It wasn't a very welcoming game and forced you to become acclimated to its strange, dangerous ways, and I generally view that as a plus.

I consider it to some extent a lesser STALKER, and I don't say that as an insult, as I think STALKER is basically a masterpiece. I can easily forgive elements of jank for bold game design efforts, especially these days.

I wish Far Cry 3 had tried to bring the series more in line with what the developers had originally intended for FC2, but apparently they moved in the other direction.
I don't know, a lesser "Stalker"?... but we should consider that Stalker's got to that masterpiece state after fan made patches. Games were buggy as f*ck coming from the dev team. Did Far Cry 2 got the same benefit of a loving mod community?

Regarding Far Cry 2, i just don't understand why some people disacredit the game so much. While far from a master piece, they could at least apreacite what it was trying to do in the BS days when roller coaster ride type of shooters became the norm. You could argue: "Well Malaria was a shallow mechanic, pop a pill and there it is... problem solved". The thing is you shouldn't consider these mechanics in a vaccum, it is about on how they are integrated into a system.

The point was, how a lone man in a dangerous situation with all odds stacked against him is exposed to a ton of things that could go wrong. It wasn't just about lining the cross hair quick enough and everything would be fine. Maybe the gun will jam, or the exploding car ignated a fire that would take me out of the confort zone, maybe the malaria will kick in or the opposition got you but the ally will come by at the last minute and save the situation.

SO the point is they should have expanded on those aspects, instead of taking them out completely.

DSix

Banned
What a shame, I loved far cry 2, and it seems it will remain the last of its kind. It deserved a proper sequel that expends on the ideas.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
My main concern is will the enemies be bullet sponges or not? Since I seriously HATED that in FC2.

Its nice that the melee takedowns were added (even if I hate scripted attack animations), if only to give you an actual reason to go after guys silently. Was not possible in FC2 with how shitty the machete was.

Everything else seems like it was "fixed" aka removed such as all the idiotic crap that didnt work well. So am hoping the game turns out to be actually good. At least they arent trying to over hype it as they did with FC2.

Derrick01

Banned
Worst thing about Far Cry 2 is the motion blur, makes running anywhere awful.

The tearing on the PS3 version is horrifying. I got it for free from PS+ and I can't even play it because it's so bad. Didn't notice motion blur but I don't think I could with all the tearing.

The Far Cry 3 thread turned in to a flash back about 2. What does the "famous" MOD do for the game, the one with somebodys name. I heard it made the enemies and the character's health a tad more realistic. What other things are adressed?

nashb81

Neo Member
Thread title is a bit misleading.

And I am so glad they went away from the 24/7 respawning checkpoints. That shit was annoying as hell.

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
Far Cry 2 had some amazing art direction and intuitive gameplay design, which made some of the sloppy/lazy decisions Ubisoft made with the game damn near inexcusable.

You could tell that they knew better.

Far Cry 2 had some amazing art direction and intuitive gameplay design, which made some of the sloppy/lazy decisions Ubisoft made with the game damn near inexcusable.

You could tell that they knew better.

If by art direction you mean a plasticy look and feel to almost everything in the environment. Then yes, It was fantastic

Dennis

Banned
If by art direction you mean a plasticy look and feel to almost everything in the environment. Then yes, It was fantastic

I think I like you.

Far Cry 2 had horrendous, terribad, plastic graphics. When I booted up the game for the first time (not long after Crysis) my heart just sank.

I think I like you.

Far Cry 2 had horrendous, terribad, plastic graphics. When I booted up the game for the first time (not long after Crysis) my heart just sank.

Don't really know what you mean, if it's one thing FC2 does right it's the graphics. The image quality is really good, it's like the AA works on vegetation too, it looks so clean and sharp.
It does get kinda brown and boring, but tech-wise I think it looks really good

Dennis

Banned
Don't really know what you mean, if it's one thing FC2 does right it's the graphics. The image quality is really good, it's like the AA works on vegetation too, it looks so clean and sharp.
It does get kinda brown and boring, but technically speaking I think it looks really good

No no no

bengraven

Cry Cry Cry about FC2, but that world was fucking awesome. One of the best put down. Wish FC3 had mod tools and someone could recreate that world with these apparently streamline controls.

ironcreed

Banned

"When the game starts, the map is completely blocked from view. This is because Vaas' men have jammed the towers. You're still free to go anywhere you please, but you won't have any idea of the terrain, roads, etc. If you make your way to a tower, scale it and remove the jammer, that section of the map is revealed. As a bonus, the local gun shop gets restocked, and you'll usually get a free gun for your trouble."

"What's telling about Far Cry 3 is how each of the options layer on top of one another. You may find yourself wanting to expand your bag space, so you go hunting. It's easier to hunt with a gun than a knife, but firing a weapon has the potential to alert nearby pirates. If they hear a gunshot, they'll come running. If they spot you, they'll attack."

"It's also worth noting that animals in Far Cry 3 have their own distinct AI. The weaker creatures will generally run, but stronger predators such as tigers and bears aren't really that impressed by a guy with a gun. When out in the wild, you need to keep an eye out for the predators, but that doesn't mean you can't use them to turn things to your advantage. Leading a pissed-off predator into a pirate camp can make for a useful distraction — or it might just end up making things more dangerous for you."

"Because the game doesn't constrain where you can go or when, you're free to explore the island at your whim. At one point, we decided to step away from the missions and just wander around to take in the views. Granted, it was a decision that was made easier by the discovery of a hang glider. Coasting through the air, the island was our playground. If we could see it, we could probably visit it. Cars and ATVs are available for land travel, but to be honest, taking a jet ski and tooling around was a more satisfying way to travel."

reverse-227839420.gif

Nesotenso

The worst thing about Far Cry 2 was having to clear out the same militia outpost for the 100th time. The fast travel system helped but shit got tiring. If respawning outposts is out, then I'll love 3 more.

ironcreed

Banned
The worst thing about Far Cry 2 was having to clear out the same militia outpost for the 100th time. The fast travel system helped but shit got tiring. If respawning outposts is out, then I'll love 3 more.

They are out. They become your bases after clearing them. A place to buy and upgrade equipment, craft, take on new side quests and fast travel.

Derrick01

Banned
I finally managed to get to the preview about this on the latest game informer. There's nothing really new on a big level but I did see a couple of things that confirms my worries about the game.

They mentioned that an early unlockable "skill" is being able to cook grenades, confirming what I said most of these games that shoehorn RPG elements in do...locking skills that used to be available and normal behind an arbitrary XP/skill system.

They also mentioned that there are three skill trees that offer some "variety" in the progression system. Sounds good right? It did until they mentioned that Ubisoft said you can unlock every skill in all 3 trees in 1 playthrough. So why even have them if there's no real choice? They're just throwing in RPG elements to have box quotes and make the game seem longer than it is.

The good news seems to be that they apparently have the FPS part of the game down pretty well which is expected since they're a FPS developer. Not a RPG one. Stick to what you know developers.

Those complaints by RPS seem like a non-issue to me, and also some revionist history about FC2.

I played 50+ hours of that game. It was brilliant, but I don't remember it the way thay do.

I'm optimistic about FC3.

RedSwirl

Read the whole thing finally, and I really don't mind the changes they seem to have made. If I want an oppressive open world shooter, I'll crack open that copy of STALKER I still haven't installed after three years.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
I know someone on the devteam, and he's severely dissapointed with the direction of the game.

Top Bottom