• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 4 |OT| Welcome to Kyrat

SJRB

Gold Member
i1NtRiOZ3bcyI.png

iq1ct683yNik2.png

ib0kLSdfwdibhv.png

Developer: Ubisoft Montreal

Release date:
NA: November 18th, 2014
EU: November 18th, 2014
AU: November 20th, 2014

Price: $59.99/€59.99 [prices may vary depending on platform of choice]

Platforms:
Sony Playstation 4 / Microsoft Xbox One
Sony Playstation 3 / Microsoft Xbox 360
Microsoft Windows [System requirements]
Download/install size: 28 GB [PlayStation 4]
Day One Update: 500 mb [PlayStation 4]

ixkghX2AQtJWU.png

Far Cry 4 takes place in the fictional Himalayan region of Kyrat. The player assumes the role of Ajay Ghale attempting to fulfill his mother's dying wish by spreading her Ashes in Kyrat. Ghale gets caught in the midst of a brutal civil war between The Golden Path and Pagan Min's Royal Army. Players will be able to craft their own stories as they travel through this exotic open world, using new and updated weapons and vehicles as well as wits to survive.

Like its predecessor there is a large emphasis on exploration, hunting, resource gathering and gaining XP to unlock skills.

itVk9rvzfHx9K.png

i1NtRiOZ3bcyI.png

iGmKF7uiIlDND.png
ib190lj6pW95Rg.png
ibaLPteuBMgZss.png
ibmVksb0ChRcc0.png
iVT5kQEojegmm.png
iFn95qn5Q9G9u.png
iQzb1S7xUQrat.png
idkwSJ0o4kIau.png
ibh1KfTrCN8SMp.png
ilGUvYJiKUS44.png
iqwY5X3N5WtQc.png

ibbH8xBSsCzsRN.png

Ajay Ghale is the main protagonist of Far Cry 4. Born in 1992, but he and his mother moved to the United States when he was a child. His mother, Ishwari, never spoke to him about his father, Kyrat, or why she fled to America. 20 years later, Ajay's mother passed away. Before her death, she wished for her ashes to be scattered in Kyrat. Ajay proceeded to fulfill her wish and traveled to Kyrat, but gets kidnapped by Pagan Min during the ride there. Ajay's parents were the leaders of the Kyratese Rebellion, hence the reason why Pagan Min knows who he is.

Pagan Min is the primary antagonist of Far Cry 4. Born in 1966 in Hong Kong. In 1987, Min funneled his family's fortune into his own private army and made a power grab in the criminal underworld, drawing the ire of kingpins who had previously been on good terms with his father. Fleeing bounties placed on his head, Min sought refuge in Kyrat, a failed monarchic state in the midst of a civil war. Believing he could become Kyrat's savior Min allied himself with a faction named the Royalists. After few months of the civil war Min, along with the Royalists, invaded the palace of Kyrat while he and the Royalists won the battle. Min then betrayed the Royalists and killed every single Royalist member, claiming the throne for himself.

Min's Royal Army rapidly corrupted Kyrat's existing businesses and infrastructure, harnessing the heroin trade to line Min's pockets. Min instituted other changes to ingrain his rule, such as adding his image to currency and erecting radio towers across the country to spout propaganda.

Amita and Sabal are leaders of the Golden Path, the rebel group fighting against Pagan Min and his Royal Army for the liberation of Kyrat.

Noore is the Vice Lord of Kyrat, supervises Kyrat's drug trade and also runs Shanath Arena.

Willis is a CIA operative who has been stationed on the Rook Islands to keep tabs on notorious slave and drug trafficker Hoyt Volker. After enlisting the help of a man named Jason Brody to assassinate Volker, Willis escaped the Rook Islands headed to Russia.

Darpan is the man who has been seen getting tortured in every single trailer he has appeared in.

Yuma is Pagan Min's right-hand woman. She is the general of the Royal Army, as well as a deadly tactician.

Yoggi and Reggie are weapon dealers of sorts. Not much is known about these two.

Hurk is a returning character from Far Cry 3. Similar to that game Hurk is only featured in the DLC portion of the game, in this case called "Hurk's Redemption".

Longinus is a former warlord who will provide Ajay the weapons and tools during his adventure in Kyrat. His birthplace is Goka Falls in the UAC, the country in which Far Cry 2 took place.

iNDu51I9uT8CQ.png

i1NtRiOZ3bcyI.png

ibbH8xBSsCzsRN.png

Kyrat is the fictional Himalayan region in Far Cry 4, ruled by self-appointed king Pagan Min. Kyrat is separated into three distinct regions: the Lowlands, Midlands, and the Himalayas. The Lowlands is the first region that will be unlocked in the game; it is where Banapur, the home of the Golden Path, can be found. The lowlands and midlands are separated by King's Bridge which cannot be crossed by players initially until progressing through the main campaign. The Midlands is the main region of Kyrat under control by King Pagan Min; both his Royal Palace and Royal Fortress can be found in the midlands. The Himalaya segments aren't freely accessible, but during gameplay Ajay will take several trips to the snowcovered tops where he not only has to face the elite of the Royal Army but also the ruthlessness of nature.

iD2wXEM8BdrrI.png

i1NtRiOZ3bcyI.png

ioHuXTXX3cema.png

ibbH8xBSsCzsRN.png

Kyrat is also a beautiful land deeply rooted in its rich mythology. Shangri-Là is a fabled place that is part of that folklore and has been sought after by mortals in the hopes of finding enlightenment. Presented as a parallel and esoteric universe, Shangri-Là is a place where you will transcend into the limitations of your own mind and go to a place where legends live. You’ll encounter a completely different set of mythical enemies with unexpected and surprising behaviors. You will have an ally, a noble white tiger, the protector of Shangri-Là. The tiger comes to your defense when provoked or can be sent to attack nearby enemies. The Shangri-Là bow, with the exclusive ability to momentary slow time, will also be available while players unlock skills within the main skill tree.

ipdLBT3aMb6Hd.png

COOP
As not every journey should be taken alone, Far Cry 4 allows for a second player to drop in and drop out at any point. You can explore the game world together. During coop, the joining player will play as Hurk, while the host remains Ajay.

PlayStation exclusive: Keys to Kyrat
If you purchase Far Cry 4 on either PS3 or PS4, you will get 10 exclusive Keys to Kyrat, allowing you to invite your friends to play via PlayStation Network. You can tackle the open world together for a free two hour trial period, explore Kyrat, capture outposts and gain in-game rewards, even if friends don't own the game. More information can be found here.

Competitive multiplayer
The game has a traditional competitive multiplayer mode, but not much is known about it.

Map Editor
The map editor is back, but Ubisoft has confirmed that user-made maps won't be supporting competitive multiplayer.

ibj9GTNw3cpfHl.png

i1NtRiOZ3bcyI.png

ibbH8xBSsCzsRN.png

ibhPaomk6CNJQx.png

iw3yCFrXkUjCA.png

Cliff Martinez composed the soundtrack for Far Cry 4. The soundtrack was released on November 4th via digital download. It's € 9.99 on iTunes and it's really good.

Tracklist:
1. Trial by Fire
2. Welcome to Kyrat
3. Into the Fire
4. Sudden Trouble
5. The Target
6. Take Down
7. No Respite
8. Secrets of the Goddess
9. The Mountain Watches
10. Unfamiliar Paths
11. Awash in the Day
12. Every Road an Exit
13. The Hard Road
14. One by One
15. Sabal's Suite
16. Predator's Way
17. Here They Come
18. Once More with Teeth
19. Lives to Spare
20. Royal Reception
21. Prisoners of Despair
22. Amita's Rage
23. The Moon's Light
24. Victory by Inches
25. What Is Sacred...
26. Blood of Faith
27. A Sermon of Bullets
28. Painted in Blood
29. The Whisper of My Blade
30. Bhadra's Suite

ib1wWGlOaTHXQ0.png

NeoGAF review thread

Current MetaCritic: 87

i1NtRiOZ3bcyI.png

icBZTCFMAWYJG.png

ibbH8xBSsCzsRN.png

Nice OT! Can't wait for this. The co op should be good fun! I am going with this one first out of the big Tuesday launches.

Maybesew

Subbed hard. Can't wait. My office is going under construction next week so i have to work from home starting Wednesday, and then we have all of thanksgiving week off. Sweet.

Hugstable

Banned
Got the game preloaded and ready to go for tomorrow once it unlocks for my ps4. This is actually my first Far Cry game ever. Well I did play 3 for about 2 hours yesterday to see if I would like the type of gameplay, and I got so into it that I just went and preordered 4. So it's pretty much gonna be my first Fry Cry game.

Gator86

Thanks for the OT. I loved 3 and am thrilled to hear 4 is more of the same and better with all the tech kinks ironed out. I'm planning to disappear to avoid the inevitable spoilers but I'm hoping everyone enjoys this. Happy elephant riding, everyone!

Not going to get this anytime soon, but I absolutely love the setting. I wish more games were set South Asia, as the soundtrack, setting, and culture are incredible rich, vibrant, and diverse, and it all feels like untapped potential in this industry.

woen

Will probably buy it in December when I got tired of GTA V, COD:AW and AC:Unity. Sounds like a solid Far Cry 3 in the Asian mountains with elephants.

Enjoying the shit out of the singleplayer these past couple of days. Structured like Fc3, but movement and shooting feels a bit heavier. Terrain is more interesting thanks to the hills and mountains. You cant just move from a to b by going in a straight line, youll fall to death.

PS4 version is godlike in graphics department. So beautiful. Framerate is 30fps, had just one small dip in 4 hours or so.

One tip: when you see a honey badger. RUN. THE FUCK. AWAY!

Tizoc

GMG would be sending out keys tomorrow.
I'm really bummed with the
early game trick to finish the game in like 15 minutes.

Min is lame though.

How early do you get to ride elephants and wreck shit?

Evo X

Enjoying the shit out of the singleplayer these past couple of days. Structured like Fc3, but movement and shooting feels a bit heavier. Terrain is more interesting thanks to the hills and mountains. You cant just move from a to b by going in a straight line, youll fall to death.

PS4 version is godlike in graphics department. So beautiful. Framerate is 30fps, had just one small dip in 4 hours or so.

Great. Now the first thing I want to do when I get the game is hunt down a honey badger.

I keep hearing that honey badgers are a nightmare in this game. Hows the glide suit? Do you see yourself gliding more in this game than in FC3?

I keep hearing that honey badgers are a nightmare in this game. Hows the glide suit? Do you see yourself gliding more in this game than in FC3?

Not used it yet, only five hours in or so and taking my sweet ass time to plunder each area before the next one.

Had my first camp takeover last night. You have to save hostages now. When the enemies see you they kill off hostages. Its a way to make players use stealth more. Although I'm more likely to accidentally hit a bird in the sky with an arrow instead of an enemy.

When you start up the game first time you accelarate cars by pushing forward on the left analogue stick. Thankfully you can use R2 by changing it in the menu.

hawk2025

Still deciding if I'm getting this along with LBP3. I want something to play while they sort out the MCC mess.

While we're at it, there's something amazing about the fact that the two ended up with the same Metacritic average :O

I am quite excited for this. I really loved Far cry 3 even with its repetitiveness

Love the regional setting for this game too

Top Bottom