• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 4 PC performance thread

riflen

I disagree. It can't be perfect (and support 100% of PC features available) but I'm impressed with how good it looks and how well it runs on my system. I have no shame calling is a superb PC version.
Never had a problem, never ran into a single crash.

Obviously, I only speak for myself. No PC version can be issues free for 100% of the PC gamers landscape.

Sure, but Ubisoft seem embarrassingly bad at PC releases given the amount of money and resources available to them. It's probably not going to change while Yves Guillemot is at the helm as he openly treats PC customers with contempt.

Kezen

Banned
Sure, but Ubisoft seem embarrassingly bad at PC releases given the amount of money and resources available to them. It's probably not going to change while Yves Guillemot is at the helm as he openly treats PC customers with contempt.

Does he ? I don't remember reading something along those lines.
I had no problems with some of Ubi's recent releases. The last one who was truly problematic was Double Agent back in 2006.

Everything I've played from Ubi was perfectly fine after that.

GHG

Does SLI work in this at the moment?

And by work, I mean work well, good scaling without any problems /flickering.

Flandy

How well would I run this?
i7 2600k

I've also got a PS4 so I could also get that if this version is complete shit lol

Murtrod

Not only is my performance as terrible as it was previously, but they broke the gyrocopter. I cannot steer it at all.

Ubi, this is ridiculous.

Flandy

Reading this the impressions on this thread. This version sounds like more trouble than its worth. Should I just get the ps4 version :x

MizzouRah

Does SLI work in this at the moment?

And by work, I mean work well, good scaling without any problems /flickering.

It's splotchy. I've got two 970s and I get occasional flickering, especially when running in surround. The shadows were crushed for a while, but I think that is resolved now.

sear

Banned
I have:

• NVIDIA GTX 970
  • Core i7 920 (OC'd to 4 Ghz)
  • 12 GB RAM
Game runs pretty well for me at ultra settings - mostly 60 fps, but the microstuttering when running around the world is fairly annoying. Hopefully they can get a patch in for that. Still a pretty fun game, just a shame the stuttering gets in the way.

knerl

Sighs, still no true fix for the stuttering right?

Setting the GPUMaxBufferedFrames to 1 in either the gamerprofile.xml or via the drivers helps a lot. If you have a monitor with a higher refresh rate than 60Hz or if you're running it without Vsync cap the framerate to 60. MUCH smoother this way. With only one buffered frame the mouse movement is pretty much stutter free, but vehicles being driven by AI stutters like crazy. If you cap the framerate to 60 the AI vehicle stuttering is eliminated.

EDIT: This of course wont fix the texture/entity streaming issues while driving around which causes sudden drops and stutters.

knerl

Did they release a silent update today? Just booted the game up and the stuttering is 99% gone! It barely stutters while driving around from one large area to another. Running the game on ultra using an i5 2500k @4.3GHz, 8GB of RAM and a GTX 970. I'm using the maxprerenderedframes variable set to 1 and I've capped the framerate to 60 (using a 144Hz monitor so Vsync doesn't do that for me on it's own.) The weapon selection wheel is much more responsive now too! Before it was really rough while using a mouse. Now it's great.

Kezen

Banned
I have not gathered precise data but the game seems to perform about the same. I can get some stuttering with the wingsuit but it's very, very mild. Nothing on foot even at high speed.

I tried enabling simulated fur but framerate took quite a hit, it looks really fantastic but not worth the penalty in my case.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Did they release a silent update today? Just booted the game up and the stuttering is 99% gone!

The game hasn't been patched in almost a week. If you own the Season Pass, you would have downloaded a 1.4GB update no more than ~22 hours ago, but that was just more DLC.

Did they release a silent update today? Just booted the game up and the stuttering is 99% gone! It barely stutters while driving around from one large area to another. Running the game on ultra using an i5 2500k @4.3GHz, 8GB of RAM and a GTX 970. I'm using the maxprerenderedframes variable set to 1 and I've capped the framerate to 60 (using a 144Hz monitor so Vsync doesn't do that for me on it's own.) The weapon selection wheel is much more responsive now too! Before it was really rough while using a mouse. Now it's great.
I have 120hz monitor and an amd. How do I cap to 60?

knerl

The game hasn't been patched in almost a week. If you own the Season Pass, you would have downloaded a 1.4GB update no more than ~22 hours ago, but that was just more DLC.

Ok. Must be imagining things then. The weapon wheel improvement must be from 1.7 though.

knerl

I have 120hz monitor and an amd. How do I cap to 60?

Download Msi's Afterbuner. Comes with RivaTuner statistics server which app by app lets you set a framerate limit independently.
Worth noting is that this is useful if you can maintain a framerate above 60 most of the time.

pestul

I finally beat this game and I'm definitely done with it.. I probably won't be touching it again. I enjoyed it for the most part (even with the PC issues) while playing, but I realize now that it's just another completely forgettable experience. They really have to change up this game if they ever do FC5.

Dropped this game right around the time of a business trip in Nov/Dec. Now I'm picking it up again and the damn game only displays in the top half of my monitor. What gives?

edit: I fixed it...I guess? An Alt+Enter did the trick, although I have no idea how it got that way.

Damian.

Banned
I'm still waiting on them magically fixing my game where I can manually save it, and not be forced to undertake/complete story missions to save my progress.

Damian.

Banned
That was one of the first things I tried, also tried running uPlay as Administrator. I simply don't get the option to just save. I can discover locations, craft items, use skill points take over outposts, unlock radio towers for 5 hours but if I don't start/progress a story mission or do an Outpost Master mission nothing saves at all.

So I bought a Pick your Path code for cheap, finally picked up FC4 on PC.

I've got an i5-2500k stock and a GTX 670 2GB with 8GB RAM.

My framerates are about the following:

Ultra = 35 fps
Very High 40-45 fps
High = 50 fps

For now I've settled on using the Very High preset.

I know I dodged most of the bullets since launch, several patches in and the game performs quite well for me. I also don't see any stuttering, however I'm fairly early in the game and just started the first Golden Path mission so we'll see.

One thing I don't get is the God Rays setting, does anyone else think it looks like crap on "Enhanced"? Looks very washed out. I know what they are going for with sun glare and such, but it really doesn't look that good. Any reason to not change this to "Volumetric Fog", whatever the F that means?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
So I bought a Pick your Path code for cheap, finally picked up FC4 on PC.

I've got an i5-2500k stock and a GTX 670 2GB with 8GB RAM.

My framerates are about the following:

Ultra = 35 fps
Very High 40-45 fps
High = 50 fps

For now I've settled on using the Very High preset.

I know I dodged most of the bullets since launch, several patches in and the game performs quite well for me. I also don't see any stuttering, however I'm fairly early in the game and just started the first Golden Path mission so we'll see.

One thing I don't get is the God Rays setting, does anyone else think it looks like crap on "Enhanced"? Looks very washed out. I know what they are going for with sun glare and such, but it really doesn't look that good. Any reason to not change this to "Volumetric Fog", whatever the F that means?

Nvidia wrote a stellar performance guide here.

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/gu...ing-guide#far-cry-4-nvidia-directx-11-godrays

TXAA is a pretty huge performance hit so if you're playing on a TV or aren't particularly averse to aliasing I recommend using SMAA instead to get a lot of FPS back.

On the "Very High" preset I get around 40 fps. Turning geometry down one click to High instead of Very High gets me right around 50fps the majority of the time. Dips to around 40 in densely wooded areas or towns, but for the most part its very playable.

It doesn't feel that smooth though. Its not full on stuttering, its like really small micro stuttering...really evident if you strafe back and forth next to a stationary object. I remember FC3 had this exact same problem. From earlier in this thread though, it seems like it was WAY worse at launch...it really doesn't bother me much during regular gameplay.

I still think God Rays looks awful. Everything is really washed out looking with it on.

Tanston

I had to put this game down after a few hours as no matter which video settings i tried even the very lowest I couldn't get the game to stop giving me a horrific headache. Never had that problem before. I have an hd 5800 series gpu. Is that just never gonna work for this game at a level that doesn't destroy my eyes/head? I know the card is getting older but I haven't had any problems running anything with the card up until now. I've certainly never experienced a game giving me a horrible headache....far cry 3 was fine.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I had to put this game down after a few hours as no matter which video settings i tried even the very lowest I couldn't get the game to stop giving me a horrific headache. Never had that problem before. I have an hd 5800 series gpu. Is that just never gonna work for this game at a level that doesn't destroy my eyes/head? I know the card is getting older but I haven't had any problems running anything with the card up until now. I've certainly never experienced a game giving me a horrible headache....far cry 3 was fine.

Just a recommendation, but have you tried increasing the FoV? That could have something to do with it. I have been playing on my TV and have the game at a TV appropriate FoV. I was sitting at my computer desk playing a bit and the low FoV was getting me feeling sort of weird. Kind of nauseous.

If framerate is the issue then perhaps try going into the advanced video settings section and set VSync mode to sparse. It should lock it to 1/2 your refresh rate, which will likely offer a stable 30fps if you're willing to make that compromise. If not, then as a heads up you can get a small FPS boost if you go into your Far Cry 4 GFX config file and disable ATOC.

Also, I would still recommend checking out the Nvidia performance guide for the game, because it gives a relatively good idea of what kind of impact each setting will have on your framerate.

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/guides/far-cry-4-graphics-performance-and-tweaking-guide

So...I'm watching Vinny from Giant Bomb play FC4...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhyoW38CDdk

Is the game always this buggy? It's like, buggy for 3 straight hours.

I had the game crash on me twice during the intro, but after that I've sunk a solid 6-7 hours in without anything major happening.

Apparently most of what's happening (except for that offline mode not working stuff, that was total shit) was due to a bug from using a DS4. If you use a DS4 with the game apparently it can possible break scripting and cause all the fun bugs you saw.

I've been playing with a 360 pad and it's been mostly fine.

Diomedes

What can I do to keep it stable and increase FPS to a higher lvl?

i5-2500k, 2* 770 4GB, Asus 144hz, Win 7. EVGA precision X to play with VGA settings.

Getting 24-30fps with all settings in game lowered doesn't help. Could use the Nvidia CP to force some settings, but don't know which would help. Looking to increase framerate and make it still look nice and not crash, which it does occasionally when going over hills or something when it needs to load a lof of enviro.

Thanks.

Its weird, when I first got the game a few days ago it was running okay, I was getting about 40-45 fps on Very High on my 2500K and GTX 670.

The more I've played it the worse the performance seems to get. I also only noticed a little bit of stuttering, like when strafing next to a stationary object, but now the stuttering seems to be getting worse the more I play.

I even tried using a controller to see if it made me less sensitive to the stuttering, but it doesn't help. My brain is zeroed in on the slight stutter now and its killing the experience for me.

To think the stuttering was much worse at launch from reading this thread...ugh. Not sure how they release a game in that state.

Anyway, love the game but thinking about shelving it until they finally fix the stutter. I remember it took several months with FC3...

knerl

Such a shitty company. Such a shitty engine. If they ever do Far Cry 5 for the love of god get a Frostbite license. I'm forcing myself through the game, but the damn stuttering takes away ALL the fun. Framerate is pretty great all the time, but as soon as it's not stable at 60fps it stutters like mad. Or if you just drive around in a vehicle. Also worth noting is that the AI driven vehicles stutter like crazy if you don't lock the framerate at 60fps. Seeing as how I have a 144Hz monitor I'd like to not cap it at 60.

What else do we have? The FOV slider. Bugs out and disregards whatever scaling factor you've set it to sometimes. The COOP lag is also plain horrible.

Make a proper game next time Ubisoft. Not a re-skinned and worse version of an earlier entry.

Damian.

Banned
How can I completely get rid of my save and start over fresh? I tried uninstalling the game, deleting my local save and turning off cloud saving, but upon reinstalling the game, it loads up my glitched save that doesn't allow manual saving. I would like to start over completely to see if it clears up this issue.

d00d3n

How can I completely get rid of my save and start over fresh? I tried uninstalling the game, deleting my local save and turning off cloud saving, but upon reinstalling the game, it loads up my glitched save that doesn't allow manual saving. I would like to start over completely to see if it clears up this issue.

The "start over fresh" dlc costs 5$ in uplay. You should have preordered the game to get it for free.
sorry, I don't actually know the real answer to the question

holygeesus

Banned
Played the game this morning. Performance was stellar. Just downloaded an update and it is a jittery mess. I'm giving up on this game now and never buying an Ubisoft game again. F*cking incompetents.

knerl

WAY TO FUCKING GO UBISOFT. Patch 1.8 made it worse.
Every three seconds now the framerate nose dives from 60 to 30. By standing still!
Changing settings doesn't make a difference. Before I only wanted the fucking stuttering while driving to go away, but now I get frozen frames all the time.
When you have hardware that outperforms the recommended specs by far and you get this I really wonder what the fuck they are doing. Might add that I have not other issues in terms of drivers etc. Other games aren't behaving like this. This is the last time I even redeem one of their vouchers.

EDIT:
Just after writing this I booted up the game again. Now the drops are gone! It's running like it should. Runs a little bit better while driving. Doesn't lag as often.
No change in running processes. All I did was restart it a third time.

Top Bottom