• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 4's art is racist and the antagonist is (potentially) gay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this satire? this whole thread? confusing contradictory OP, quoting some random wind-bag from twitter? i can't tell anymore
I keep hoping that's the case, and even though all evidence points to it, it's really looking quite genuine...

Just to kick things off, the box art isn't racist... The person viewing it may be racist, but the art itself is just that: art. It's showing off the setting and some characters who may play a prominent role in the story. And the fact that that's immediately where someone's mind went upon seeing it speaks volumes about them from a psychological standpoint.

As for the homophobic aspect, I feel compelled to ask why it is that you, OP, feel that a gay man shouldn't be allowed to lay the part of the villain... Consistently one of the coolest, most interesting roles to fill in a video game or story, should be saved for folks from a non-homosexual background. All after implying how inappropriate it is to discriminate against people.

This entire conversation/thread just seems.... stupid? I can't think of the right word for it, so I'm going with stupid...

MrS

Banned
3cd8a33a.png

Orayn

I dissagree with that. Its more the fact that an 'outsider' comes in and changes things, it happens because someone comes who isn't used to whatever is going on and mixes it up a bit.
I never view movies or games like this and think its the developers/producers trying to have a white man come in and save anyone. Having said that, i never pick up on these things in the first place because i'm not looking at being offended in the first place.

The "white savior" is a pretty widespread phenomenon in the media, dude. You don't need to be actively looking for offense to notice it.

I usually stay the fuck out of sensitive topics, but this is PC gone beyond repair. Is the ONLY accepted bad guy a white dude with a thick Russian accent? Why are you assuming a flamboyant guy is automatically gay? Straight people can just be as flamboyant. This is coming from someone who is non-white and Muslim. We are the token bad guys in pretty much every Call of Duty/Battlefield story, yet no one complains.

Vitor711

I don't see racism in the boxart any more than several other games.

And that right there is the issue.

You should. It's unquestionably racist and problematic. Any image of a whiteman in a position of physical superiority over any ethnic group brings up huge issues within a wider historical context. It's just continuing to perpetuate views of white elitism.

And no, even if the game seeks to 'undermine' such views and subvert them, that intention shouldn't go without question either. Just look at how badly the writer of FC3 handled an attempt to do just that in the previous game - and his God-awful writing in Child of Light hardly helps inspire confidence either.

mcflyOS

Banned
I hope Ubisoft does the right thing and ignores this. FarCry 4 has likely absolute zero probability of making people racists who weren't racist before, and zero probability of giving rise to the 4th Reich.

I swear the world is going mad. In 50 years time, we will be walking around like zombies scared to look or talk to each other incase we might say something that offends someone.
Responses like this don't really help either though. There are an untold number of terrible things happening in the world today, some overtly evil, some insidiously so. It's important for people to speak out against injustice, and this includes a myriad of issues related to the gaming community.

The thing is though, it's important to make sure to focus on actual discriminatory practices, and not get hung up on carelessly creating situations that only serve to harm any genuine attempts at making meaningful change.

Karkador

Banned
And that right there is the issue.

You should. It's unquestionably racist and problematic. Any image of a whiteman in a position of physical superiority over any ethnic group brings up huge issues within a wider historical context. It's just continuing to perpetuate views of white elitism.

"Context"? In this thread?

Not

Banned
I think this box art must be intentionally designed to offend. There's no way that they arbitrarily went with this over the eight variations of "rugged dude on an island with a gun."

It's either an artistic master stroke or a conscious middle finger to social justice proponents; possibly both. Can't decide where I stand on this.

MxBxM

Banned
I rarely comment but this is just ridiculous. I saw a potentially interesting bad guy for the next Farcry that for some reason, reminded me of the Joker.

But then I came in here...

Asian dude in a rad hot pink suit lording it over other asian dude in military attire.
Apparently racist and homophobic. Ok...sorry what?

My only concerns regarding this, is the fact that it's the same writer of FC3, and there were some pretty janky-ass themes propping up that game. More worrying was that infamous RPS interview about the story, where his explanations were completely contradictory and a mess of half-baked statements.

So I'm keeping my eye on this. I definitely do not share the misplaced outrage for the box art, but more anxious about how the writer is actually going to handle the material & setting. Hopefully he won't make a meal out of it this time because this main anatagonist(?) looks very interesting.

RetroStu

Banned
The "white savior" is a pretty widespread phenomenon in the media, dude. You don't need to be actively looking for offense to notice it.

Maybe or maybe not but how much of is true and how much of it is people simply looking to be offended by something.

rdrr gnr

I rarely comment but this is just ridiculous. I saw a potentially interesting bad guy for the next Farcry that for some reason, reminded me of the Joker.

But then I came in here...
You weren't offended? Stop perpetuating white elitism. Someone should get to firing the racists over at Ubisoft. Don't you get it: COLONIALISM. Don't you understand any instance that can be is every instance of the most negative.

Not

Banned
Asian dude in a rad hot pink suit lording it over other asian dude in military attire.
Apparently racist and homophobic. Ok...sorry what?

They're the bad guys

EDIT: Although, if Khan had been cast as an Indian dude in the Trek movie, we might have heard the same outcry. It's like you can't win either way.

Unless you cast an Indian dude as Captain Kirk too, which was preferable to casting Benny Cumberbatch. Sorry guys. Who here know what Star Trek is? Far Cry. Sorry.

120v

my "problem" with the cover, if there is one, is it seems like a rote reaction to the success of the last game. like, okay we hit gold with this one villain. so what's next? lets have a flamboyant guy controlling the natives with drugs or religion or something. (though that may be nothing like the actual game's plotline, who knows), seems kind of obvious and kind of lazy.

i was hoping the game would be more about the world you're exploring rather than a certain character

as for the cultural arguments, don't care

RetroStu

Banned
I have noticed a lot recently on various forums, all this anti 'white dude' shite. Its like people are turning against the evil white man now or something.

rdrr gnr

my "problem" with the cover, if there is one, is it seems like a rote reaction to the success of the last game. like, okay we hit gold with this one villain. so what's next? lets have a flamboyant guy controlling the natives with drugs or religion or something. (though that may be nothing like the actual game's plotline, who knows), seems kind of obvious and kind of lazy.

i was hoping the game would be more about the world you're exploring rather than a certain character

as for the cultural arguments, don't care
I got this vibe, too. I think they might be chasing after Vaas. I think there is potential if they can fix the problems with FC3.

Maybe or maybe not but how much of is true and how much of it is people simply looking to be offended by something.

Lawrence of Arabia, Dangerous Minds, The Last Samurai, The Help, The Blind Side, and Dances With Wolves. That's just off the top of my head. It's not that uncommon.

Not

Banned
We don't even actually know that whatsoever though.

Good God, would I love to play as that dude in the middle. Hoooooly cow. PS4 bought. Day zero.

But I think they're just going for Javier Bardem in Skyfall.

EDIT:

That's also my bad, totally jumped to conclusions about the antagonist-status of the guy. Figured paternalistically putting his hand on another human being's head didn't make him the sympathetic character.

Stereotypes are always bad. Positive stereotypes (and stereotypes in general) set expectations, for the people who believe in them, based on things that aren't directly related to other things, such as race.

I think most people would agree stereotypes are bad. It's wrong to make unfair presumptions about something you know nothing about based solely on appearance.

Oh wait.

RetroStu

Banned
Lawrence of Arabia, Dangerous Minds, The Last Samurai, The Help, The Blind Side, and Dances With Wolves. That's just off the top of my head. It's not that uncommon.

Thats a true story for christ sake, i'm pretty sure some of the others are as well. And so what anyway, can we not have white men as the 'hero' anymore?.

Lawrence of Arabia actually is 100% real, and the movie follows the historical events extremely well. It's pretty much a quick history lesson.

spwolf

I usually stay the fuck out of sensitive topics, but this is PC gone beyond repair. Is the ONLY accepted bad guy a white dude with a thick Russian accent? Why are you assuming a flamboyant guy is automatically gay? Straight people can just be as flamboyant. This is coming from someone who is non-white and Muslim. We are the token bad guys in pretty much every Call of Duty/Battlefield story, yet no one complains.

I thought Niko Belić/Нико Белић being from my neck of the woods is pretty cool but sure it is a stereotype (somewhat - not more than any other). This level of political correctness would leave us promoting racism of some kind i guess, because in the end, you could have only one ethnicity/nationality/locality/sexuality in the movie or else someone would end up being offended and brand it as possibly offending.

I guess, I could take Нико Белић as Rockstar promoting World War 3 - they are making "Eastern Europeans" bad guys, thus promoting hate and animosity towards Russian's in the west. And all those COD's and BF's obviously thats training for upcoming war where it is ok to kill russians.

OMG!

:)

I feel you could use the same rationale to rally against some really cool characters.

Take The Wire. Without seeing it, you could ask, why is this gay black guy a criminal? I'm afraid this will reinforce stereotypes.

Now imagine they had caved, and made him a white straight dude. You'd have robbed us of Omar Little, one of my favorite fictional characters

Wait until you get some context. Are you that desperate to be first in the outrage line?

Jintor

Far Cry 3 seemed like it was trying to criticize the "Mighty Whitey" trope by turning around and depicting both Vaas and the player as bad people, but it still had the mostly powerless natives. And then there's Dennis and Citra...

At least they set it on a fictional island. Pulling this kind of plot in a real world location is asking for even more trouble.

The explanation by the writer was probably among the craziest fucking things I've ever heard.

rdrr gnr

It is common and totally capable of producing great works. Just like the people offended by rape and revenge tropes can't deny the fantastic films and episodes of television that come from it. This is ignoring the fact that, you know, the real-world existence of people like Lawrence complicates offense (though his relevance is overblown).

Vitor711

really? because there's been a ton of questions regarding everything you are assuming as fact in this one topic alone.

please tell me how to feel. I am lost without you.

It's an image of a white man in an elevated position and someone of an ethnic group outside of his race being forcibly made to kneel. He's being used as an armrest. He is basically being reduced to furniture. That's less than human. It's the final step in degrading any race.

Doesn't matter if that's the villain or the protagonist of the game - it's highly racially charged imagery.

That's a fact. If you can't see it, it's because you're choosing to not do so. Using that as your cover for a big-blockbuster action-game is beyond insensitive.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Oddly enough, I've never said this was racist, other people have. I was just showing other people's opinions on the subject. 9 times out of 10 if someone who isn't white says something is racist, it probably is.

What is this, even, I don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom