• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 5 got me thinking. What other games are set in modern-day Middle America?

Humdinger

I don't really consider Montana middle America. It's more a frontier state, with lots of rugged individualistic types, an outdoor ethic, vast wilderness, etc.

But I get your point. I think the reason we don't get a lot of games set in Kansas or Ohio or whatnot is because they are generally boring settings, without a whole of unique features (apologies to Kansas and Ohio, I'm just picking "middle America" states at random).

Mafia 3... what with the country full of racial tension and corrupt racist people running things. Mafia 3 is the freshest most modern take on the current climate of tension!

Magnus

18 Wheeler? lol

The new FarCry is set in modern-day USA? The key art that leaked made me think it was the past for some reason.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Not middle America, but you just have me the idea of a southern-America inspired fantasy game, ala Big Fish. That'd be dope.

Deadly Premonition. It's supposed to a Pacific Northwest town, but I think it fits the bill.

Resident Evils 1-3 have Raccoon City as somewhere in the middle America. Same with Silent Hill.

MadSexual

Maybe far fetched, but would The Long Dark count? I believe there are areas based on Provinces immediately north of Montana.

AmuroChan

OP, I think it'll be good to define what you consider middle America. Do you consider the Appalachian states middle America? How about the gulf states or the Deep South? or is it anything that's between the coastal states?

Sotha_Sil

In classic NOLF fashion, the sequel took Cate Archer to a trailer park in Nebraska, culminating in a sword fight with a female ninja assassin in a trailer being lifted, spun around, and torn apart by a tornado.

God damn I miss that franchise. To add salt to the wound, Monolith now makes generic LotR games. Sigh.

Night In The Woods, rust belt, former coal mine town.
nitw%20working%20class%20screen.jpeg

Kentucky Route Zero
krz8.jpg

Both of these games focus on the reality of living in not as affluent areas, not many jobs, the struggles of working class Americans, just about living day to day. Very relevant after the recession. NITW's creator was inspired by KR0 that a game about these kinds of themes could be made.

The upcoming Days Gone is supposed to be Oregon, right? Or am I just thinking that because of where the developers are located?

nel e nel

Deadly Premonition. It's supposed to a Pacific Northwest town, but I think it fits the bill.

Alan Wake

NorCal/Washington/Oregon is not middle America.

Mafia 3... what with the country full of racial tension and corrupt racist people running things. Mafia 3 is the freshest most modern take on the current climate of tension!

Isn't that supposed to be in New Orleans? That's the south.

Top Bottom