• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fatal Frame Community Thread - The Ultimate Horror Experience

mantidor

So if I were to start with this series, what system should I get? Do I absolutely need a PS4 or a PS3 would be enough?

Erevador

I guess that's new to the Wii U one then.
I'm not sure if that's totally fair. Yes the characters are designed to read as visually attractive, and clearly work has been put into the animations and visuals that support that, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the narrative treatment of the characters will be exploitative, over the top, or outrageous.

Fatal Frame has always had a pretty grounded approach towards female characters that stands out as distinct from a lot of visual design in Japanese games. This game doesn't look to diverge from that tradition.

kick51

Banned
So if I were to start with this series, what system should I get? Do I absolutely need a PS4 or a PS3 would be enough?

PS3 has the first 3 games on PSN as PS2 classics. The original Xbox has better versions of the first two games. The 3rd game is PS2 exclusive. Wii has a remake of 2 and the fourth game. The new game is Wii U exclusive.

I think they're all standalone, so take your pick.

mantidor

A PS3 is enough.

PS3 has the first 3 games on PSN as PS2 classics. The original Xbox has better versions of the first two games. The 3rd game is PS2 exclusive. Wii has a remake of 2 and the fourth game. The new game is Wii U exclusive.

I think they're all standalone, so take your pick.

Thanks!

I do have a Wii but the game never got localized right? So I would actually need a japanese Wii or homebrew of some kind?

I think I'm getting a PS3 down the line, this series is something I know I will enjoy.

SerTapTap

Fatal frame 3 is on PSN?! Oh, dang. Hm, might still get it physical so I have the whole PS2 set. Never got it for some reason, need to correct that.

Thanks!

I do have a Wii but the game never got localized right? So I would actually need a japanese Wii or homebrew of some kind?

I think I'm getting a PS3 down the line, this series is something I know I will enjoy.

If you have a PS2 or Xbox I'd say there's no reason not to get started on 1 and 2 (and 3, if ps2)

kick51

Banned
Thanks!

There's an EU version that looks pretty out of print and expensive. I'm not sure how it compares to the original at all. You can hack the wii and play region free stuff.

Marche90

Thanks!

Which one? The fourth one didn't, but there's a way to play it in English without modifying the system, and as for the second game, it was localized, but only in Europe (you'll need to softmod you Wii to play it if you have an NTSC console)

Razzorn34

Which one? The fourth one didn't, but there's a way to play it in English without modifying the system, and as for the second game, it was localized, but only in Europe (you'll need to softmod you Wii to play it if you have an NTSC console)

This is well worth it by the way. Softmodding a Wii takes 2 seconds, and doesn't stop any other functionality. I borrowed my sister's Wii to softmod and play FF4. She doesn't know the difference. Amazing game btw.

SerTapTap

Wait how do you put it in english? My wii's modded anyway since otherwise it was just a gamecube (now it's just a gamecube but I also copied all my wii/gamecube saves off it)

TheMoon

Thanks!

You'd need to install the homebrew channel, riivolution and buy a disc copy of Zero 4 to be able to make use of the fan translation. It's not rocket science but it still requires some basic reading to get running.

There's an EU version that looks pretty out of print and expensive. I'm not sure how it compares to the original at all. You can hack the wii and play region free stuff.

20-25 EUR isn't really that expensive.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0082115KS/
http://www.amazon.fr/dp/B007YBZSQO/
http://www.amazon.de/dp/B0082115KS/
http://www.amazon.de/dp/B007YIYFRK/

Not true anymore. The last firmware killed the way to run it without any homebrew, now you need to install extra stuff.

Wait how do you put it in english? My wii's modded anyway since otherwise it was just a gamecube (now it's just a gamecube but I also copied all my wii/gamecube saves off it)

http://www.fatalframe4.net/

+ Google for the rest.

as a bonus, Zero 4 is currently on sale on Play-Asia
http://www.play-asia.com/zero-gesshoku-no-kamen-paOS-13-49-en-70-2srv.html (US$ 56.99 (EUR~44.34))

alternatives (without having to worry about customs fees):
http://www.yesasia.com/global/zero-tsukihami-no-kamen-japan-version/1011052948-0-0-0-en/info.html (US$64.99 [~€50.59])
http://solarisjapan.com/products/zero-gesshoku-no-kamen (¥6,318 (Brand New) / ¥6,279 (Pre Owned))

kick51

Banned
played through about an hour of FF2 Xbox tonight and about to go in for more.

This series needs more props for 1) actually being scary, 2) actually having fun, rewarding combat, 3) without the use of pseudo-military people using all kinds of guns, 4) without resorting to some dumb person who swings weapons in the most obviously wrong way possible.

chaosaeon

I've got the first and second game, but so far have only finished the first one. Those quotes about the characters now having see through wet clothes and adjusting their chest wobble are really putting a sour taste in my mouth. Why do that ?

TheMoon

I've got the first and second game, but so far have only finished the first one. Those quotes about the characters now having see through wet clothes and adjusting their chest wobble are really putting a sour taste in my mouth. Why do that ?

Chest wobble nonsense seems to be specific to Ayane because of DOA legacy. As for the wet clothes, well, while I'm not particularly thrilled how they sound like horny teenagers while discussing it (at least in the translation), what do you expect with advancing tech and going for more realism in the visual department? When clothes get wet, they tend to become see-through (depending on the color and material, of course) so ...

As long as they don't mix this with gratuitous see-through shirt close-up shots I don't see a big problem. The game is all about water after all, would be weird if the clothes wouldn't be affected with the advanced visual capabilities of a modern system.

Mexen

Super hyped for '5'. Cannot wait to play it. I may need to revisit 2 as it has been a while since I last played that one. Great thread, OP.

SerTapTap

Chest wobble nonsense seems to be specific to Ayane because of DOA legacy. As for the wet clothes, well, while I'm not particularly thrilled how they sound like horny teenagers while discussing it (at least in the translation), what do you expect with advancing tech and going for more realism in the visual department? When clothes get wet, they tend to become see-through (depending on the color and material, of course) so ...

As long as they don't mix this with gratuitous see-through shirt close-up shots I don't see a big problem. The game is all about water after all, would be weird if the clothes wouldn't be affected with the advanced visual capabilities of a modern system.

The trailers they showed up until now really don't match with their "wet and sexy" talk anyway, I'm not too concerned about it yet. Gameplay looks about the same, ghosts look horrific as ever, environments are still dreary. They're just wet environments now. Yes the main character is cute, but this has basically always been the case anyway. Ayane is my main annoyance so far, put her in Ninja Gaiden sure, this is weird.

TheMoon

The trailers they showed up until now really don't match with their "wet and sexy" talk anyway, I'm not too concerned about it yet. Gameplay looks about the same, ghosts look horrific as ever, environments are still dreary. They're just wet environments now. Yes the main character is cute, but this has basically always been the case anyway. Ayane is my main annoyance so far, put her in Ninja Gaiden sure, this is weird.

The only time I rolled my eyes was in the most recent round of screenshots where you could see Yuuri's dress being see-through because it got wet, presumably from just wading through deep water.

2684166-029.jpg

Wet
2681381-043.jpg

Dry

And she seems to be well covered so you don't really see much anyway, even from the front:
While the whole Ayane thing is kinda off-putting to me on a surface level, I like that she is basically completely locked off by being a post-game bonus mission, entirely separate from the main game. And with new mechanics that at least keep things interesting.

SerTapTap

The only time I rolled my eyes was in the most recent round of screenshots where you could see Yuuri's dress being see-through because of it got wet, presumably from just wading through deep water.

While the whole Ayane thing is kinda off-putting to me on a surface level, I like that she is basically completely locked off by being a post-game bonus mission, entirely separate from the main game. And with new mechanics that at least keep things interesting.

Ohhhh she's postgame, okay, I'm okay with that. That puts her in about the same class is the "gothic lolita" unlockable but quite hard to get outfit in Fatal Frame 2. Though that wasn't gratuitous, just weird and "lolita" in any context makes me feel a bit icky.

Edit: Oh you added pics. Yeah, the butt-clinging skirt is a bit much =/. "realistic" at least I guess...

SerTapTap

I wonder if there will be different outfits like FF2? Maybe you can pick something a bit more sensible for the enviornment

TheMoon

kick51

Banned

because Tecmo-Koei are making money hand over fist on DOA costumes and fan service

SerTapTap

because Tecmo-Koei are making money hand over fist on DOA costumes and fan service

Not the same situation though. Even if the same audience that's buying their sexy bunny costume sets in DOA5 is buying Fatal Frame I'm not sure they want the same level of titillation in a game where the ghost of a woman with a broken neck chases after you while floating upside down.

kick51

Banned
Not the same situation though. Even if the same audience that's buying their sexy bunny costume sets in DOA5 is buying Fatal Frame I'm not sure they want the same level of titillation in a game where the ghost of a woman with a broken neck chases after you while floating upside down.

T-K Boss: "Hey FF game dev, your games are great and all but they need to sell more copies. Add boobs."

Dev: "O-okay..."

chaosaeon

Yeah, in a way it's saying "people like these things, so let's put them together and it will be better." Like thinking everything is better with chocolate, but then you put some on your tuna sandwich.

Hopefully it all turns out fine and doesn't amount to anything. I just find it odd that they're talking about these things specifically, when fans of the series aren't fans because of anything like that. As in, to whose benefit are they saying this ? I don't know what they think of their audience, but I want it for the locations, the story and the ghosts. I doubt anyone thinks of fatal frame, hears these details and goes "finally, that's what was missing from my experience." lol.
It'll probably be fine though, and post-game ayane is fine, just extra content.

TheMoon

Yeah, in a way it's saying "people like these things, so let's put them together and it will be better." Like thinking everything is better with chocolate, but then you put some on your tuna sandwich.

Hopefully it all turns out fine and doesn't amount to anything. I just find it odd that they're talking about these things specifically, when fans of the series aren't fans because of anything like that. As in, to whose benefit are they saying this ? I don't know what they think of their audience, but I want it for the locations, the story and the ghosts. I doubt anyone thinks of fatal frame, hears these details and goes "finally, that's what was missing from my experience." lol.
It'll probably be fine though, and post-game ayane is fine, just extra content.

Well, it's a Famitsu interview for the Japanese audience. Who knows what they're in it for, as a whole. If this were an interview directed at a global audience in a scenario where worldwide release was announced, this would be a different thing.

Dantis

She is? That's something, I guess, though I would have rather that the development resources has been spent elsewhere.

Hey guys, newbie here that's just starting out the series. I picked up FF1/2 on OG Xbox, 3 on PS2, Number 4 (will make a translated copy of course to be able to play it). I hope FF5 gets localized, but I also hope this series scares the shit out of me like P.T did. I haven't felt scared in a while (before trying P.T), and I kinda miss that. I want to have nightmares again, and feel like I'm going to die at night.

Dantis

Hey guys, newbie here that's just starting out the series. I picked up FF1/2 on OG Xbox, 3 on PS2, Number 4 (will make a translated copy of course to be able to play it). I hope FF5 gets localized, but I also hope this series scares the shit out of me like P.T did. I haven't felt scared in a while (before trying P.T), and I kinda miss that. I want to have nightmares again, and feel like I'm going to die at night.

1, 2 and 3 are proper horror games, but 4 is more like a horror adventure, and 5 looks to follow that route. 4 is still a really, really great game, but it wasn't scary.

I found 3 to be very scary, personally.

FF1 and 2 are utterly terrifying.

1, 2 and 3 are proper horror games, but 4 is more like a horror adventure, and 5 looks to follow that route. 4 is still a really, really great game, but it wasn't scary.

I found 3 to be very scary, personally.

Personally excited to hear that, haha. I'll be sure to notify you of how many times I shit my pants whilst playing these 2, or the whole series. I'm just waiting on my CRT to arrive to play them all.

I got the first three games on disc for PS2. I also have the first two on PSN.

I had a $15 coupon off an Ebay purchase so I bought Fatal Frame 2 Pal. I'll pick up a Japanese copy of the fourth as well. I going to buy another Wii to run homebrew on since you can get them for like $30 used.

Kinsei

Banned
Your reassurance that the older games aren't like the new one when it comes to fanservice has convinced me to give the series a shot.

I only have two complaints so far.
1. The voice acting is terrible. Do later games have the option for dual audio?
2. I'm on what I would consider the first real puzzle and I dislike that they don't show you the Japanese symbols and their corresponding numbers on the side of the screen. I suck at drawing, meaning I have to keep opening up the file that has them in it.

Top Bottom