• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fatal Frame Community Thread - The Ultimate Horror Experience

ohlawd

yo, beat Project Zero 2 Wii. ahhh fuck can I just say Fatal Frame 2 Wii? sounds cooler

that was great. FF5 with all outfits intact plss

fuck if I'm ever gonna complete this ghost list. I could see myself playng this a buncha times tho.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
With Fatal Frame V now confirmed with localization in US and Europe, I'm sure some people who are not familiar with the series, and think it might be a good time to bring this up for people who want to know a bit more where to start or what the series is like, and what games are in it.

Xianghua

Banned
So how does gameplay work with only a camera? How do you fend off spirits with just a camera?

The camera has spirit power. So when you snap them in a photo it damages them. But it's not just that simple because you have to time it right to snap at the special moment.

Basically the game forces you to see these scary things in first person mode. So that's why it's scary.

Now's the time to go through all 4 of these.

I've got
Fatal Frame - Xbox OG
Fatal Frame 2 - Xbox OG
Fatal Frame 3 - PS2
Fatal Frame 4 - Wii (bought the game but will be playing a burnt translated version)
Spirit Camera - Not sure if this is needed

I'm really excited about this. Will specifically be playing at night in hopes that I accumilate a mountain of fecal matter beneath my rear end while sitting.

Come to think of it, which is better? FF2 on wii or xbox? Being PAL doesn't matter since my console is region free.

Dusk Golem

So how does gameplay work with only a camera? How do you fend off spirits with just a camera?

In the Fatal Frame games, you move around freely in the environment, the camera is for gameplay things and combat, and can be pulled out anytime. The combat in Fatal Frame has it where you need to capture their 'souls' on film, and disperse them from attacking you. The exact specifics of the combat changes slightly from game to game, but consistently in the series you want to 'charge' the camera (by keeping the lens focused on the ghosts) and let them get closer, as distance shots will barely hurt them. The longer you've focused and the closer the ghost is, the more damage it will do. However, the way to conserve film and damage ghost the most is to get a 'Fatal Frame' shot, which is to take a picture right before the ghost attacks you. The camera is not a regular camera, but a camera designed by a scientist who studied into ghosts and methods to contact the dead, who is a reoccurring background character in the series, and the camera is the same build of camera from him each time (though only a few exist). The Camera Obscura (what it's called) can be upgraded with abilities by points you earn for doing better shots against ghost, which includes abilities to slow-down ghosts, freeze them, amplify damage for a limited time, lock-on, and more, though using these abilities use gems, which are of limited quantity.

However, the ghosts don't all act the same and each holds its own risk and creepiness. You have everything from the basic ghost that approaches you and maybe darts around, to a ghost with a fake replica of itself to fool you, a ghost who falls from the sky at you, ones that crawl on the floors, a ghost that's blind and can hear you by sound you make and charge right at you, and a lot more. There also are special ghosts who hatred and resentment to the world are so strong they can't be hurt by the camera obscura normally, and pose as invincible threats when they appear.

Exentryk

The camera has spirit power. So when you snap them in a photo it damages them. But it's not just that simple because you have to time it right to snap at the special moment.

Basically the game forces you to see these scary things in first person mode. So that's why it's scary.

Thanks. It seems like this might be the right series for me. I dislike that the popular horror games (Resident Evil etc) all have gun based gameplays, and just zombies to kill. This one seems like it's more supernatural, and somewhat psychological in a sense. That interests me.

Do you old PS2 games still hold up? Would I dampen my experience if I decide to play the old games before this Wii U one?

In the Fatal Frame games, you move around freely in the environment, the camera is for gameplay things and combat, and can be pulled out anytime. The combat in Fatal Frame has it where you need to capture their 'souls' on film, and disperse them from attacking you. The exact specifics of the combat changes slightly from game to game, but consistently in the series you want to 'charge' the camera (by keeping the lens focused on the ghosts) and let them get closer, as distance shots will barely hurt them. The longer you've focused and the closer the ghost is, the more damage it will do. However, the way to conserve film and damage ghost the most is to get a 'Fatal Frame' shot, which is to take a picture right before the ghost attacks you. The camera is not a regular camera, but a camera designed by a scientist who studied into ghosts and methods to contact the dead, who is a reoccurring background character in the series, and the camera is the same build of camera from him each time (though only a few exist). The Camera Obscura (what it's called) can be upgraded with abilities by points you earn for doing better shots against ghost, which includes abilities to slow-down ghosts, freeze them, amplify damage for a limited time, lock-on, and more, though using these abilities use gems, which are of limited quantity.

However, the ghosts don't all act the same and each holds its own risk and creepiness. You have everything from the basic ghost that approaches you and maybe darts around, to a ghost with a fake replica of itself to fool you, a ghost who falls from the sky at you, ones that crawl on the floors, a ghost that's blind and can hear you by sound you make and charge right at you, and a lot more. There also are special ghosts who hatred and resentment to the world are so strong they can't be hurt by the camera obscura normally, and pose as invincible threats when they appear.

Oh wow! Thanks for the detailed explanation.

Dusk Golem

I've got
Fatal Frame - Xbox OG
Fatal Frame 2 - Xbox OG
Fatal Frame 3 - PS2
Fatal Frame 4 - Wii (bought the game but will be playing a burnt translated version)

I'm really excited about this. Will specifically be playing at night in hopes that I accumilate a mountain of fecal matter beneath my rear end while sitting.

Hope you enjoy, the series is enjoyable. The first game is probably the most unbalanced difficulty-wise (weird difficulty spikes in it), but it still is fun. Interested to hear your thoughts through them.

Thanks. It seems like this might be the right series for me. I dislike that the popular horror games (Resident Evil etc) all have gun based gameplays, and just zombies to kill. This one seems like it's more supernatural, and somewhat psychological in a sense. That interests me.

Do you old PS2 games still hold up? Would I dampen my experience if I decide to play the old games before this Wii U one?

The first one is a bit rough but it's still a good game. There were some pretty decent improvements with 2.

Xianghua

Banned

Exactly this. They fly around and go between walls and doors while you are in first person mode. The fight can get pretty intense and scary because of that since you don't know where they would come back from. Usually from the back lol..........

Graphics don't hold up. FF5 Wii U looks a lot better. Play the FF2 Remake and FF4 on the Wii if you are interested.

Dusk Golem

Okay. I'll see what I can find. The Wii one at least should be easy to get.

The older ones should be easy to get as well, except for the Xbox versions. The PS2 versions of the series got new prints in 2010-11 I believe, so they go for a fairly cheap price online. Fatal Frame 1, 2, and 3 can also be gotten on PS3 PSN for very cheap:
Fatal Frame 1 PSN
Fatal Frame 2 PSN
Fatal Frame 3 PSN

The Xbox versions of Fatal Frame 1 and 2 unfortunately did not get a new print. Unfortunately as these versions of the game had some new content. The new content was mostly some new costumes, modes (extra modes and first-person mode in the second game), and both games had a new difficulty and ending not in the PS2 version.

Exentryk

The older ones should be easy to get as well, except for the Xbox versions. The PS2 versions of the series got new prints in 2010-11 I believe, so they go for a fairly cheap price online. Fatal Frame 1, 2, and 3 can also be gotten on PS3 PSN for very cheap:
Fatal Frame 1 PSN
Fatal Frame 2 PSN
Fatal Frame 3 PSN

The Xbox versions of Fatal Frame 1 and 2 unfortunately did not get a new print. Unfortunately as these versions of the game had some new content. The new content was mostly some new costumes, modes (extra modes and first-person mode in the second game), and both games had a new difficulty and ending not in the PS2 version.

Thanks a lot.

SerTapTap

Wow, I was super disappointed with what I heard of the Nintendo direct (going off twitter, I couldn't watch it), then I heard FF5 is getting localized, great news.

I would play the old ones first (I don't think I've ever seen a series where playing in chronological order makes it worse). The PS2 games are still good, though 1 is a bit rough and the controls probably aren't what you're expecting unless you've played other PS2 era horror games. I still need to beat 1 and 3 myself...

Dusk Golem

I will throw out there Fatal Frame 1 or 2 could be played either or first, they have only a minor story connection, though generally I'd say to play FF1 first if you plan to play the whole series, it is completely worth playing but has a few minor issues that are fixed with the second game, and would probably transition better from going from the first to the second game rather than the second to the first.

The third game should ONLY be played after you play the first and second game, the third game has major spoilers for FF1 and FF2 as it directly continues both of their narratives for part of its story.

The fourth game is a prequel, has some in-depth stuff about the series lore but does not spoil the other games. It does play different, I would suggest it after as it's lore expansions might be better appreciated after the other entries rather than before where you won't really know what it's expanding.

I haven't played the Wii remake of the 2nd game or Spirit Camera for the 3DS yet.

casiopao

Yuhuuuuu. The Wetty FF5 finally announced coming here. Lots of crow is going to be served.^_^

No one shall block us from getting our new wetty wetty experience.^_^

How are the PSN versions of the first three games versus the original PS2 discs? I own both but want to know if there are any emulation problems like Digital Devil Saga.

I've got
Fatal Frame - Xbox OG
Fatal Frame 2 - Xbox OG
Fatal Frame 3 - PS2

Come to think of it, which is better? FF2 on wii or xbox? Being PAL doesn't matter since my console is region free.

Fatal Frame 1 PSN
Fatal Frame 2 PSN
Fatal Frame 3 PSN

So yeah the Xbox version of two has the additional ending and First-Person mode.

The Wii remake is a different style than the original. It plays like 4 and has the camera behind the back like 4 unlike the fixed camera of the earlier ones. It has the additional Xbox ending and additional ones.

It also adds new locations and new cutscenes.

Personally I plan to play the first 3 on PS2 (I have an original Xbox but am not going to find a copy when I have all three on PSN and physical form). Then 4, Spirit Camera and Crimson Butterfly.

SerTapTap

How are the PSN versions of the first three games versus the original PS2 discs? I own both but want to know if there are any emulation problems like Digital Devil Saga.

Only played a couple hours of each, but they felt no different than my disc copies did back in the day.

Graphics don't hold up. FF5 Wii U looks a lot better. Play the FF2 Remake and FF4 on the Wii if you are interested.

I strongly disagree. I've been playing the first on PS2 recently, and while the graphics are definitely dated, the game is still plenty terrifying despite that. If anything doesn't hold up, it's the voice acting which is pretty hit and miss in my opinion.

OrochiJR

This sounds interesting. Sadly I don't know the first thing about getting my Wii to play imported games. Can someone maybe link some site or video that explains the process (if this is not against the TOS)?

TheMoon

This sounds interesting. Sadly I don't know the first thing about getting my Wii to play imported games. Can someone maybe link some site or video that explains the process (if this is not against the TOS)?

Wii + homebrew is what you want to throw into google.

Before you buy an import copy of Zero 4, though, wait until after E3. I have a feeling they might pull a Bayonetta and pack Zero 4 in with Zero 5. I think that has a chance.

SerTapTap

Wii + homebrew is what you want to throw into google.

Before you buy an import copy of Zero 4, though, wait until after E3. I have a feeling they might pull a Bayonetta and pack Zero 4 in with Zero 5. I think that has a chance.

This would be amazing but I doubt it. Quite willing to be surprised though.

AlphaOmegaSin summarizes what we all feel perfectly.

onVhix5.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhmQKl0Z3uY

TheMoon

IGN Italy has a preview (I think) for Project Zero Wii U. Maybe somebody can translate the interesting parts.

Game's been out for a year. Anything you could possibly want to know is out there. Other than localization changes of course but I doubt they'd be cleared to discuss unlockables in their preview anyway.

B-Dex

Got FF3 on PSN. It is the only one I didn't play at release. Had to stop at the first save lantern. Too spoopy. Will play more tomorrow.

im a huge chicken but love horror

Doczu

Got FF3 on PSN. It is the only one I didn't play at release. Had to stop at the first save lantern. Too spoopy. Will play more tomorrow.

I LOVE the third one. Some say that the second one is the best, but i argue that it's the third one, especially the (kind off) SH: The Room style gameplay.

TheMoon

Reading some of the comments makes me ask: is the game censored in the west (regarding extra costumes)? Is it official, or are people just guessing/debating?

Don't read youtube comments. They have no clue. The opposite was confirmed in one of the recent threads about it.

Akibared

I'm also a huge baby when it comes to horror and 3 got under my skin faster than the other games.

mantidor

So I've never played FF games but they seem to be the stuff I will enjoy, the problem is where to start, I currently only own a Wii U so I guess the answer is obvious, but if Maiden of Black Water isn't the best entry I would still want to try the others.

TheMoon

So I've never played FF games but they seem to be the stuff I will enjoy, the problem is where to start, I currently only own a Wii U so I guess the answer is obvious, but if Maiden of Black Water isn't the best entry I would still want to try the others.

What region are you in?

If you're in PAL land, you can also get the Wiimake of 2. But since you used FF I assume you're from NA?

Anyway, you could just try the free trial of Maiden of Black Water now...

mantidor

What region are you in?

If you're in PAL land, you can also get the Wiimake of 2. But since you used FF I assume you're from NA?

Anyway, you could just try the free trial of Maiden of Black Water now...

yup I'm in the region known as "The Americas". Had no idea we had a free demo, I'll try it onc I get home.

OrochiJR

I just stumbled upon this link regarding a Project Zero/ Fatal Frame 4 translation patch. From the wording it looks like you just need the patch on a SD card and a retail copy of the game without having to bother with homebrew stuff and region locks. That can't be this simple, can it?

The downside is that the link to the patch doesn't work anymore, but I imagine it can't have fallen of the internet in the meantime.

-shadow-

Yes there is a patch for Mask, but Nintendo has updated the Wii firmware and now you need a couple of more steps to get the game running. So if you want a fully clean Wii, that's no option anymore sadly.
Patch is pretty easy to find, just Google it and you'll have it in no time. Although if your PC can run Dolphin decently, there's a ROM that had the patch applied to it directly.

TheMoon

Does Nintendo own the rights to Fatal Frame/Project Zero? Id love to see a remaster collection on the other consoles.

no, I feel this comes up in every single FF/PZ thread (has been discussed in this one too).

Amazing how much power that shitty rehorror.net article with zero sourcing has still.

Nintendo owns the rights to the specific games that they published. Zero 2 Wii, Zero 4, Zero 5. That's all they own the rights to. They don't own the Fatal Frame/Project Zero IP rights. That belongs to Koei Tecmo still.

You can check this by looking at the copyright notices on the actual games themselves.

gfs_99328_2_1_mid.jpg
hqdefault.jpg

fatal-frame-v-feature.png
pz_wiiu_screen_35.jpg

ffvtitleqbudv.jpg

(sorry for terrible streamer in the pic, google had no pics of the NA title screen)

Top Bottom