• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fatal Frame Community Thread - The Ultimate Horror Experience

DVCY201

I expected 3 to jack it up a notch, but I'm good with that. I think 1 is the scariest, personally.

I always have such a hard time ranking these. I'm going through 1 again, at the end of the 2nd Night, and the Himuro Mansion is such a well-designed, tightly-knit map. It's got great scares, and bosses that infuriate me because I suck at dodging. Also, the Blinding Ritual still creeps me out, ugh.

I usually put 2>3>1. So, if you think 1 is the scariest, then 3 might be even scarier for you, or it might be the reverse. I have to go through all 3 again soon.

Anyone up for snapping some 720p screen of FF4 in Dolphin? Would be great to compare it to FF5. Also we've not seen many screens from FF5. I saw some in the console screens thread I can post.

Dantis

Yes, they're extra costumes, and it's not the first Fatal Frame to have extra costumes like this.

Well, technically it is, actually.

There's not been anything nearly as skimpy as that in any of the previous games, and as I recall, PZ2 is the only other game with swimsuits.

So I've been continually listening to Torikago; what is everyone's favorite Tsuki song?

Probably Koe or Cho if we're talking Project Zero songs. Misty or 1/2 a half for non-PZ tracks.

I bought the PSN version of Fatal Frame 2 a few months ago.

Tried to play it, but within an hour I was just confused. I literally got lost; ran out of places to go and kept running in circles. I really wanna give it another shot, any tips for a newbie?

Tohsaka

Well, technically it is, actually.

There's not been anything nearly as skimpy as that in any of the previous games, and as I recall, PZ2 is the only other game with swimsuits.

Probably Koe or Cho if we're talking Project Zero songs. Misty or 1/2 a half for non-PZ tracks.

Yeah, I was referring to the swimsuits from the second game. Obviously these are more revealing, though.

TheMoon

Ouch, those sales though.

By4Ky3uIEAEu1vq.png

what about those sales?

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Oh, that's a little better; I was just reading them off a Japanese board site and Siliconera (Media Create) didn't make comparisons; hopefully it does better.

TheMoon

would be nice if it can manage to scrap another 20-30k together to get into the LTD range of the others.

another thing to consider: it's missing eShop purchases so it did even better. hopefully it doesn't show show some legs but also has some legs at retail.

Man, those fan service outfits, along with Ayane, really pull me out of the Fatal Frame "Scary Atmosphere"

:(

You shouldn't worry about it. The Fatal Frame games always have extra costumes AFTER you beat the game, so it's not like it's ruining anything for you, since you can run around in a bikini on the Xbox version of FF2 and the other games had fanservice costumes like ZSS Samus and Luigi. Ayane's story sounds like an extra, sort of how you unlock extra challenges in Fatal Frame 2 after beating it.

Also what does the red bar on the graphs posted mean?

Finished chapter 12 of Nuregarasu no Miko, I think I'm almost at the end if the story is to be believed, and despite the shown percentage telling me otherwise.
So far I only got one Rank SS :( Others are mostly S, with a few A's in between.

There are really only 2 types of enemies that really piss me off, and both involve
the phantom doing a move that put you into a drenched state right away (plus, you lose health as if you were poisoned...). What's worse is that to make them NOT do the move you can take a Fatal Frame...but unless you have the timing nailed it's not that easy to pull off 'cause it lasts less than a second
D:

Finished all the missions in Fatal Frame 5.

Really good game overall. (character spoiler?)
Ayane from DOA
is REALLY cool to play...but there are only
of such missions, and they're really short too :( The focus on
stealth
is soooooo gooooooood I wish we would've got more and longer missions. DLC maybe? I'd buy that!

TheMoon

Ayane from DOA
stealth
is soooooo gooooooood I wish we would've got more and longer missions. DLC maybe? I'd buy that!

Your spoiler tags have been covered in this thread and in numerous news stories :)

Your spoiler tags have been covered in this thread and in numerous news stories :)

Indeed, but you never know when someone stumbles on a thread and sees something he otherwise wouldn't have wanted to know.
I did it to be sure I don't get flamed for not marking them :D

How scary is 3 compared to 1 & 2? It'll be my Halloween playthrough.

I'm playing through FF3 at the moment (pretty sure I only have an hour or so left), and remaining gameplay notwithstanding, personally I think it's the least scary of the three.

Fatal Frame 1 was pretty tame in the first half, but really dialed up the scares in the second half. FF2 didn't really reach that point for me until maybe the final 1/3, but the creepiness factor was really high once it did.

From my experience so far with FF3, the game was more unsettling at the beginning than 1 and 2 were at their respective starts, but unlike those games I haven't felt the suspense continue to be ratcheted up dramatically over the course of the game. It's been a consistent tense/unsettling atmosphere thus far.

So I'd personally rank them 1 > 2 > 3 in terms of how scary I found them, but it's probably fair to say playing them in that order certainly factors in.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars

Ayane from DOA
stealth
Why would you need stealth; just run through the whole mission!

Finished Fatal Frame III earlier tonight. Final boss was a bit of a pain, mostly due to my sloppiness down the stretch. Used a few too many expensive shots earlier in the game when in hindsight I could have been less greedy, and then used a few too many medicines on the way to the boss fight. Regardless, I persevered despite being down to my last 1 or 2 hits.

Good game, overall. I'd rank it behind 1 and 2 mostly because I don't think the new additions really made the game better; I feel like it mostly had less content but was padded out a bit more into a longer game. And I just didn't find it as scary as the first two...those
daytime
sequences were a bit of a relief between chapters, but would have been a lot more effective if the game got as relentless as the first two did.

But the real excitement is that I got my Wii back out of the closet, unpacked it and set it back up in the living room, and then got it set up to run my import FF4 with the translation pack. And it works! So that one is up next...

tsab

After reading this thread I want DOA WiiU too :/

put some nintendo themed costumes, ka-ching
Ok it will sell like crap like TTT2, because Nintendo platform

AtticuSMT

Banned
So thanks to this thread I decided to pick up the first game and put about 3 hours into it so far,( I'm on night two ) and I am loving it. the controls are wonky but I'm just chalking that up to it being a early PS2 title. But yea, my only question is how much do the stories tie together, like do the sequels actually all connect and create a seamless story? or is each entry a standalone story.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
After reading this thread I want DOA WiiU too :/

put some nintendo themed costumes, ka-ching
Ok it will sell like crap like TTT2, because Nintendo platform

not necessarily, soul calibur 2 straight up had link and it sold pretty decently, but it was out day and date with the other versions, TTT2 released several months after it's original release, that must have put a damper on potential sales.

Fady K

So thanks to this thread I decided to pick up the first game and put about 3 hours into it so far,( I'm on night two ) and I am loving it. the controls are wonky but I'm just chalking that up to it being a early PS2 title. But yea, my only question is how much do the stories tie together, like do the sequels actually all connect and create a seamless story? or is each entry a standalone story.

There are definitely some connections between the first and third (The Tormented) game.

killatopak

Can I just say that this is my most favorite game series ever. Everyone in my family plays this game. I basically only bought a Wii and Wii U for this series.

I really hope they localize this because I will play the living shit out of this game.

AtticuSMT

Banned

So, follow up... Beat game one... a lot of fun and honestly wasn't too scary. But still had a lot of great moments to it that made jump or made my heart sink for a second. So only question is that i beat this in about 8 hours... is that normal, looking around people tend to say its a 18 hour long game. I played alot of resident evil growing up so the entire notion of "hey lets back track to a area and only give you a vague clue!" is pretty normal to me. Also...
does young Kirie look like a damn alien to anyone else?

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Really thinking about buying a japanese Wii U especially for this game. I've the feeling it will never come to Europe..

My favorite horror game series on console. FF 2 is still my favorite by far, in all regards. Game was so good, scary as hell and story was really nice and
sad
. The only ones I don't own at the moment is FF2 for Wii and that 3DS game. Will definitely buy FF2 for Wii soon and buy the new one after I purchase a Wii U next year....the 3DS game though...eh :/

I expected 3 to jack it up a notch, but I'm good with that. I think 1 is the scariest, personally.
I could see 1 being more scary from another pespective: everything is so much more narrow in one. You have lots of places with more open areas in 2 but in 1 you were always in those narrow hallways or whatever in the mansion.

Btw I forgot which game it was but the part where you'd crouch down and then crawl into this really narrow space in a room...and you'd have a ghost crawling towards you in it to attack you...was that the third game? or second? Well done and scary even though you could tell something was going to come :/

As mentioned the first and thir done do have a strong connection but honestly each one of them is a story on their own...mostly. There are connections between the main characters in FF2 and some characters in FF1. I only remember one certain connection though. Anyway all those connections just made me love the series all more knowing how many of them are connected to each other. I don't think the game is even clear about that in FF2 but it's been a long time since I played it. There is some family tree graph on the net that you could check just for fun but whether you want to do it before or after the game is up to you. It doesn't really spoil or take anything from the game; just nice extra info.

edit: woops DP.

AtticuSMT

Banned
I know this is gonna be a odd request but doesn't anyone have the sound effect of the bell that rings when you are selecting menu options(fatal frame 2)... its like a small bell/chime noise that lasts less then a second and a half... google is not helping.

Top Bottom