• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fate/EXTELLA Switch comes with 35 free costumes and exclusive Unshackled Bride one

fateextellatheumbralsx8jot.png

http://fate-extella.jp/switch/

From the PR. It actually comes with 35 (all maybe?) previously paid DLC costumes, including an exclusive Unshackled Bride costume.

Fate/EXTELLA: The Umbral Star (with trademarks, if tentative please specify)

Publisher Name (with trademarks): Marvelous USA, Inc.
Developer Name (with trademarks): Marvelous Inc.
Genre: Action
Nintendo Platform(s): Nintendo Switch
ESRB with descriptors: Teen for Alcohol Reference, Fantasy Violence, Language, Partial Nudity and Suggestive Themes
If RP, please specify anticipated rating

Number of Players: 1

MSRP: $59.99

Release Date/Window for USA: July 25, 2017

Release Regions:
Japan: Planned, Not planned, Undecided
Release Timing: July 20, 2017
EU: Planned, Not planned, Undecided
Release Timing: July 21, 2017
Others: if relevant
Release Timing:

Game Overview: (2-3 sentences):

The famous Fate series now strikes a path to a new stage with the newest title, Fate/EXTELLA: The Umbral Star. Many fan-favorite characters, including the ancient Heroic Spirits (Servants) summoned by the Holy Grail, make their appearances, with the series being reborn as a high-speed combat-oriented title in which players face off against the enemy and their army in exciting large-scale action scenes. Players can also take some time to enjoy the deep storyline the Fate series is known for.

Key Gameplay Features:

- Not just Fate/EXTRA Servants, but characters from Fate/stay night, Fate/Apocrypha, Fate/Grand Order and other Fate continuities make theirappearances here. Players can enjoy the action with the original Japanese voice-overs and English subtitles.
- As the original creator of Fate/stay night and the scenario writer of Fate/EXTRA, Nasu Kinoko has created a completely new scenario for Fate/EXTELLA, evolving his highly celebrated universe and characters.As the first action game in the Fate series, players will finally be able to control a Servant and perform various moves, including a powerful form change ability to transform Servants. Engage in intense battles on the ground or in mid-air to annihilate the enemy forces!

Platform Exclusive Features (2-3 bullets):

- The Nintendo Switch version will come loaded with 35 previously-released paid DLC costumes.
- an exclusive new Unshackled Bride outfit.

Legal line: ©TYPE-MOON. ©2017 Marvelous Inc. Licensed to and published by XSEED Games / Marvelous USA, Inc.
Official Game Website: www.fateextella.com
Twitter handle: xseedgames
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/XSEEDGames/

Surprised that it does come with that much or even all paid content for free now, and with an exclusive outfit.

And yes, the PR is weird, the others I've seen on Nintendo's press site are like that also...

Maxinas

That's actually pretty good. Aren't the dlc costumes like $2-3 each in the vita/ps4 versions?

Edit: I Was right, each individual costume is 400 yen, or 2880 yen for a bundle of 9 costumes. Not sure if they are all priced the same way, but still, 35 free costumes is pretty good.

jonno394

So, physical release?

edit - just realised, this sort of confirms that Xseed rumour from a few days back "we'll be supporting Switch in a big way with games you won't expect"

EDarkness

what kind of game is this?

That's what I want to know. I guess I'll search for some videos....

Side note: Been watching the FATE anime and it's a great series. I'm diggin' FATE/ Stay Night Unlimited Blade Works. Does this game connect to that in some way?

ohlawd

how long does it take to do everything in the game? all extras, not just the main routes.

says 22 hours for everything. seems hella short for a musou

Elfteiroh

So... Not knowing anything about the series... How confused
(fucked, I really want to say)
would I be if I tried to play this as my first foray into that franchise? Would it be noob friendly, or I should just give up? Always have been mildly interested, but never made the jump.

would I be if I tried to play this as my first foray into that franchise? Would it be noob friendly, or I should just give up? Always have been mildly interested, but never made the jump.

It's a direct sequel to Fate/EXTRA, a PSP game. At the very least, brush up on the characters and events from there.

wrowa

I had to play the PS4 version earlier this year and it suuuuucks. If you are fan of Fate I assume you can get some enjoyment out if it, but otherwise pretty much every Warriors title is superior to this.

hank_tree

So Switch really is the Vita Sequel. I am really surprised this is released in NA.

I wouldn't worry about it. The story in Extella is embarrassingly bad waifu garbage.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Ugggh, I would've gotten this version if I'd known they'd do this. Oh well, I still enjoyed it on PS4.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
:/ why does switch get exclusive costumes? Luckily its not an exclusive Arturia outfit or id be pissed off

I wouldn't worry about it. The story in Extella is embarrassingly bad waifu garbage.

Yep, its just obtuse fanservice. Bad fanservice.

Def not recommended for newcomers at all

BaconHat

...I gave up halfway through the ps4 version since i thought the story was bad, but having the ability to play it on the go... maybe I'll try playing it again on the switch.

NeOak

:/ why does switch get exclusive costumes? Luckily its not an exclusive Arturia outfit or id be pissed off

May not be for Saber Arturia, but it is for Saber
Nero

Code:
[IMG]http://fate-extella.jp/switch/images/add_img.png[/IMG]

[IMG]http://fate-extella.jp/switch/images/add_hanayome_ss1.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://fate-extella.jp/switch/images/add_hanayome_ss2.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://fate-extella.jp/switch/images/add_hanayome_ss3.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://fate-extella.jp/switch/images/add_hanayome_ss4.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://fate-extella.jp/switch/images/add_hanayome_ss5.jpg[/IMG]

Ashilyn

Well, I already have a PS4 Noble Phantasm Edition, but maybe I'll still grab this to have on the go? It's defintiely a game I enjoyed enough to double dip on, particularly if it comes with the DLC. I may not spring for a special edition though unless it has more or different goodies than the PS4/Vita one did.

Also, anyone thinking of jumping on the Fate train here: You should be generally fine, but Fate is a series that is very dense and very much caught up in it's own lore and terms. It might seem impenetrable at times, but it's not too bad in the long run. The thing that makes this game a bit tougher is that it's a sequel to not just one, but two PSP games,one of which didn't come out in the States.

Don't let that discourage you - it's worth checking out for how delightfully insane things can get. But if you really want to get into the plot, you might have to read up on a few things first.

Welp, provided that the Switch version runs at 60 on both modes, I have pretty much no reason to get the PS4 version anymore. And digital importing is pretty much trivial even if it doesn't get an AU release.

I had to play the PS4 version earlier this year and it suuuuucks. If you are fan of Fate I assume you can get some enjoyment out if it, but otherwise pretty much every Warriors title is superior to this.

What, even Berserk Musou? Because that was pretty shit in spite of how otherwise visually faithful it is to Berserk, tbh (literally only eight characters (no Farnese and Skull Knight but fucking Wyald of all people?), boss fights are fucking bullshit to the extreme, the presentation of everything that doesn't use the Golden Age Arc movie scenes is dull as fuck, etc), and this is coming from someone who has enjoyed Warriors titles before and enjoys Berserk.

Yep, its just obtuse fanservice. Bad fanservice.

Def not recommended for newcomers at all

Tsukihime >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Fate/

Fate/ game spinoffs are nothing but trash.

But Tsukihime has the one game in this world that matters: MELTY.

Just to clear this up guys I would not recommended you play this game unless you are a Fate fan and have played Fate/Extra.

I found it to be a pretty good game if you are a fan of Fate. The story line is pretty entertaining but most of your time with this game will be reading if you play the story mode.

Okay, I found a screen from both the PS4 and Vita versions to compare:

Switch
PS4
Vita:

add_hanayome_ss5.jpg

fateps4d4u4s.png

fatevitao1uq5.png

One other comparison I saw was that Switch lacks the depth of field of the PS4 version.

JPS Kai

Just to clear this up guys I would not recommended you play this game unless you are a Fate fan and have played Fate/Extra.

I found it to be a pretty good game if you are a fan of Fate. The story line is pretty entertaining but most of your time with this game will be reading if you play the story mode.

This. Even as someone that loves Omega Force, I found the battles in Extella to drag on a little too long to be fun. Just a LOT of running around and retaking the same bases over and over to fill an arbitrary gauge.

In its defense, the performance was rock solid on PS4 though. Buttery smooth 60FPS on the Pro.

Seik

Banned
Is it just me or the Switch version looks better because it doesn't have the PS4 version's DoF that makes everything blurry?

Top Bottom