• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fate/Grand Order |OT| That's Hell You're Walking Into

Status
Not open for further replies.
With an event like this, I wish I could just buy apples in bulk, or at all (ideally, they'd be cheaper than SQ). Grinding in this game can make for a good podcast listening game, but it's a real bummer when my AP drains as fast as it does.

kewlmyc

With an event like this, I wish I could just buy apples in bulk, or at all (ideally, they'd be cheaper than SQ). Grinding in this game can make for a good podcast listening game, but it's a real bummer when my AP drains as fast as it does.

Yeah, other games have spoiled me on their willingness to hand out stamina regen items. F/GO says "fuck that".

chrono01

I love how 5AP tends to give you the "rare" red chest more than the silver, considering the premium dango is essentially worth half of what the normal is. :/

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I popped an apple to do today's Monster Hunting daily for the last caster gem. Got it in one.

Not sure if worth.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Are there any banners that will be just characters only? Getting four 4* Craft Essences which are garbage really makes me wonder if they're not there just to ruin the gacha pool and make you spend money.

GBF at least favors characters over summons, but even then you get a lot of duds. I feel like the drop rates are worse here in the pulls I've done.

chrono01

I popped an apple to do today's Monster Hunting daily for the last caster gem. Got it in one.

Not sure if worth.
You got your gem. It was worth it.

Also, more AP for more dango to grind. Enjoy that grind. Grind. GRIND. GRIND!

Grind that dango!

Are there any banners that will be just characters only? Getting four 4* Craft Essences which are garbage really makes me wonder if they're not there just to ruin the gacha pool and make you spend money.

GBF at least favors characters over summons, but even then you get a lot of duds. I feel like the drop rates are worse here in the pulls I've done.
Unfortunately no, the "4* guarantee" always applies to either a character or a CE (more often than not, it'll be a CE). The only time a character is guaranteed is for the 5* guaranteed summons we'll eventually receive during special times of the year (New Years, Anniversaries, etc.). Other than that, it's a gamble between a CE or a character. :(

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Unfortunately no, the "4* guarantee" always applies to either a character or a CE (more often than not, it'll be a CE). The only time a character is guaranteed is for the 5* guaranteed summons we'll eventually receive during special times of the year (New Years, Anniversaries, etc.). Other than that, it's a gamble between a CE or a character. :(
So basically just save the currency until those banners pop up since the RNG is better then?

chrono01

So basically just save the currency until those banners pop up since the RNG is better then?
Unfortunately, the 5* guaranteed banners can only be pulled via purchased Star Quartz, so the free ones earned in-game can't be used on them. Your best best is to wait until there's a nice 4/5* Servant, as well as CE, that all have a rate-up at the same time and try your luck then. I've heard the CE during new Servants releases continually get better, so at least later if you fail to pull a Servant (and let's be honest, you probably will), you'll hopefully get a useful CE or two out of it.

Basically, pull for characters that interest you but don't expect to actually receive them (unless you open that wallet). It's harsh, but that's just the way this game is. Thankfully, they're not NEEDED to actually complete the game, but it doesn't make me want characters such as Jack, Tamamo, Mordred, Jeanne Alter, etc. any less. My plan is to save up for the characters I really want, try to pull them, and if I don't manage it, just pull on the guaranteed gacha every time they're around and slowly build up my roster. I don't expect to be like many of the Japanese players with 25+ 5* characters, my luck just ain't that good.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Unfortunately, the 5* guaranteed banners can only be pulled via purchased Star Quartz, so the free ones earned in-game can't be used on them. Your best best is to wait until there's a nice 4/5* Servant, as well as CE, that all have a rate-up at the same time and try your luck then. I've heard the CE during new Servants releases continually get better, so at least later if you fail to pull a Servant (and let's be honest, you probably will), you'll hopefully get a useful CE or two out of it.

Basically, pull for characters that interest you but don't expect to actually receive them (unless you open that wallet). It's harsh, but that's just the way this game is. Thankfully, they're not NEEDED to actually complete the game, but it doesn't make me want characters such as Jack, Tamamo, Mordred, Jeanne Alter, etc. any less. My plan is to save up for the characters I really want, try to pull them, and if I don't manage it, just pull on the guaranteed gacha every time they're around and slowly build up my roster. I don't expect to be like many of the Japanese players with 25+ 5* characters, my luck just ain't that good.
Oh, so those are like the GBF banners that are a specific element then but guarantee a SSR that use mobacoin only?

So are 3* characters the equivalent of useful SRs in GBF like Kat? Because I'm not sure how you are supposed to progress if you can't get more 4 or 5* characters due to bad RNG. Right now it seems like the only way I'm supposed to complete content is to summon people who have better gacha luck than me. lol

chrono01

Oh, so those are like the GBF banners that are a specific element then but guarantee a SSR that use mobacoin only?

So are 3* characters the equivalent of useful SRs in GBF like Kat? Because I'm not sure how you are supposed to progress if you can't get more 4 or 5* characters due to bad RNG. Right now it seems like the only way I'm supposed to complete content is to summon people who have better gacha luck than me. lol
Yeah, it's kind of like in GBF, except you don't get a ticket to exchange for a specific character (it's random). The way F/GO separates the characters are different, in that the New Year's gacha should have all of the current 5* Servants in the same batch (outside of Gilgamesh) and you get one of them, but later guarantees will divide the pool into classes where you're guaranteed to pull one from that particular selection. Just hope you don't get a dupe. :/

3* characters are definitely usable in this game though, such as Lancer Cu (aka, "The Cockroach" that never dies). In this game, even 1/2* Servants are usable, provided you have their NP leveled up (which is easy to do, through the FP system) and are adequately-leveled. If you do need a specific character and don't have him/her, bring a friend! This is extremely rare though, as you should be able to manage pretty much anything if you build a team strong to the attributes you're facing.

In this game, you pull for characters because you like them, not necessarily because they're required. It does hurt when you can't obtain your selected waifu/husbando, but that's life I guess.

Beating the hardest boss in this event with only 3* or lower: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkqDAzm3BbY

Damage output is not great, no. HP might be a bit low. But since all 1*s and 2*s have going for them is skills, they get some unique and powerful skills that would never get put on 4*s and 5*s.

EDarkness

I have a question about the event. What does the recommended level mean? Is that the level of the units or the level of the master character?

Slashlen

If this event is going to keep giving me red chests, the least it could do is put a CE in one of them. So many half-value drops...

Edit: And I'm outta AP. Finished on a nice 3 streak of 3 reds.

chrono01

If this event is going to keep giving me red chests, the least it could do is put a CE in one of them. So many half-value drops...
It's becoming really frustrating. This is going to make me hate the appearance of red chests from now on. That PTSD...

Edit: Oh look, another 3x red chest run. Amazing.

Edit: And another. I think it's safe to say I won't be able to clear out the shop at this rate.

BaconHat

Emiya is my first max ascension. I like how his new card looks.

Mine was too. I'm really happy the Archer monuments were tradable, grinding 10 of them would have been horrible.

Also did a 10 pull yesterday, managed to get both Moon CE 4-5* with no servants. Guess i'll get more friends points this week than usual.

chrono01

Cool. Thanks. I had been avoiding those because I didn't think I had the right master level. Turns out I could do them all along. Crazy.
No worries.

Yeah, you're not gated by your Master Level by...anything really. That only way it limits you is a lower Team Cost and AP cap.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Beating the hardest boss in this event with only 3* or lower: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkqDAzm3BbY

Damage output is not great, no. HP might be a bit low. But since all 1*s and 2*s have going for them is skills, they get some unique and powerful skills that would never get put on 4*s and 5*s.
Hrm, I guess it's just grinding all those mats you need to actually level them up. I kind of wish the dailies were more straightforward, so you could just grind a specific mat rather than a random pool of three or more different mats.

Yeah, a lot of my waifu are 5* characters too, so difficult times ahead for us, I guess. :(
I guess that's also how they get you to spend money. lol

Ala Alba

I've played and spent a lot of money on GBF and JP F/GO, and my opinion is this:

GBF SSR characters are basically equivalent to F/GO 4* and 5* characters. I get the same feeling when getting SSR characters in GBF as I do 4* characters in F/GO, and they are often just as useful.

GBF SR characters are basically the equivalent of F/GO 3* characters in terms of usefulness and relative power.

F/GO gives out a lot of exclusive 4* servants for free. JP F/GO currently has gotten 2 Sabers, 2 Archers, 1 Lancer, 3 Riders, 2 Casters, 2 Assassins, 1 Berserker, and 1 Extra Class over the course of 2 years. All but 2 of them are at least good, and a few of them are incredible.

Besides these free characters, there are a lot of really good regular 4* servants as well.

Anyway, the takeaway is don't feel held back by not having 5* servants the way you would not having SSRs in GBF.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I've played and spent a lot of money on GBF and JP F/GO, and my opinion is this:

GBF SSR characters are basically equivalent to F/GO 4* and 5* characters. I get the same feeling when getting SSR characters in GBF as I do 4* characters in F/GO, and they are often just as useful.

GBF SR characters are basically the equivalent of F/GO 3* characters in terms of usefulness and relative power.

F/GO gives out a lot of exclusive 4* servants for free. JP F/GO currently has gotten 2 Sabers, 2 Archers, 1 Lancer, 3 Riders, 2 Casters, 2 Assassins, 1 Berserker, and 1 Extra Class over the course of 2 years. All but 2 of them are at least good, and a few of them are incredible.

Besides these free characters, there are a lot of really good regular 4* servants as well.

Anyway, the takeaway is don't feel held back by not having 5* servants the way you would not having SSRs in GBF.

So that 4* Saber Lily that they gave people at the start of the game is usuable? I just assumed it was like a lot of other games where the free promo units are inherently inferior to the ones you can pull out of the gacha.

GBF's ramp feels a lot more gentle, but I understand it's also a trap because you could technically spend 24 hours a day in the game and continue to grind without stopping (something that you don't really get in games that are gated by stamina and rotating dungeons). Even if you're not paying into GBF, the more time you spend there, the less chance you spend money on something else.

chrono01

So that 4* Saber Lily that they gave people at the start of the game is usuable? I just assumed it was like a lot of other games where the free promo units are inherently inferior to the ones you can pull out of the gacha.
4* Saber Lily is usable...but honestly a lot of the 3* Sabers, such as Caesar, are better than her. You'll more than likely get more than enough Caesar before long (same goes for all 3* Servants) just by pulling the gacha, so he's really easy to get. You also have a chance to pull him (as well as others) from the FP gacha.

Ala Alba

Actually, Saber Lily is one of the 2 free 4* servants that are not considered good. With that said, she's still better than a 3* servant, just not as good as a 4* servant. The other free 4* that is not considered good is a pure healer (and is almost completely eclipsed by a non-free 4* healer).

Before the end of the year, we should get 3 more free 4* servants, all of which are at least as good as regular 4* servants.

GBF's ramp feels a lot more gentle, but I understand it's also a trap because you could technically spend 24 hours a day in the game and continue to grind without stopping (something that you don't really get in games that are gated by stamina and rotating dungeons). Even if you're not paying into GBF, the more time you spend there, the less chance you spend money on something else.

Yeah, I actually took a year break from GBF after getting overwhelmed by all the stuff I should be doing.
And then I came back and spent a lot of money on it.

chrono01

Actually, Saber Lily is one of the 2 free 4* servants that are not considered good. With that said, she's still better than a 3* servant, just not as good as a 4* servant.
I dunno, I'd argue that Caesar is better than the 4* Saber Lily, if you can get past the artwork being what it is and not Saber Waifu.

Hrm, I guess it's just grinding all those mats you need to actually level them up. I kind of wish the dailies were more straightforward, so you could just grind a specific mat rather than a random pool of three or more different mats.

Don't forget that ours is the only version of FGO with grail ascension built in at launch. There is no other version where you could have a level 80 1* or 2* at this point in the game.

Japan got it added for the 1st anniversary. China is about to get it added after 10 months (except all new content in China FGO is currently indefinitely suspended).

The dailies should be replaced with more straightforward ones some time after the next story chapter.

Orion just murdered my whole party, lol

Got tired of farming 5 and decided to do a 30 to see if I could get a heart for today, but apparently misclicked and ended up on the 40 one with a team totally unsuited for it.

Meaning Altria, Tamacat, Altera, Jeanne support,Mata Hari and Mashu.

It was awful, and had to use my command spells to win, and even then it was really close.

Like Mashu last attack close.

Got some dumplings though.

Ala Alba

I dunno, I'd argue that Caesar is better than the 4* Saber Lily, if you can get past the artwork being what it is and not Saber Waifu.

Caesar is a ST servant, so I can see that viewpoint. Lily still has (slightly) better stats and a good AoE multiplier (at NP5) with a strong buster boost. If you need to clear a wave, Lily does a great job. At the very least she's better than Gilles de Rais and Fergus.

Still waiting on that 4/5* Rin.

I know we have Ishtar and all that, but
it's not really Rin (outside of looks) since unlike with Lord El-Melloi II, her personality isn't retained when Ishtar takes over. :(

Completely agree.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I know we have Ishtar and all that, but
it's not really Rin (outside of looks) since unlike with Lord El-Melloi II, her personality isn't retained when Ishtar takes over. :(

Isn't this a good thing?

thinking.gif

yippeed

Neo Member
Orion just murdered my whole party, lol

Got tired of farming 5 and decided to do a 30 to see if I could get a heart for today, but apparently misclicked and ended up on the 40 one with a team totally unsuited for it.

Totally done with the 5 AP. Toke me so long to grind out 500 regular dangos because that quest drops 2x gold too often.

Second play through of of the 30 AP: CE and Heart. Toke a break because that seemed as good as it gets.

Logged in to do the free FP pull and had enough AP for another 30 run; another heart.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Don't forget that ours is the only version of FGO with grail ascension built in at launch. There is no other version where you could have a level 80 1* or 2* at this point in the game.

Japan got it added for the 1st anniversary. China is about to get it added after 10 months (except all new content in China FGO is currently indefinitely suspended).

The dailies should be replaced with more straightforward ones some time after the next story chapter.

I guess that's something at least. It makes all the early stuff easier.

Didn't know people liked Rin all that much, are tsunderes really popular or am I missing something??

And are those gifs from Carnival? If not poor Shirou.

Totally done with the 5 AP. Toke me so long to grind out 500 regular dangos because that quest drops 2x gold too often.

Second play through of of the 30 AP: CE and Heart. Toke a break because that seemed as good as it gets.

Logged in to do the free FP pull and had enough AP for another 30 run; another heart.

Out of AP for now, but there's no way in hell I'd be that lucky with my drops, just gonna keep killing pieces of me with the 5 and hope for a miracle after I clear the shop.

Either way congrats man! that's actually some awesome luck you have.

Strimei

Didn't know people liked Rin all that much, are tsunderes really popular or am I missing something??

And are those gifs from Carnival? If not poor Shirou.

Tsunderes used to be popular at least. And Rin's one of the iconic ones. And yeah those gifs are from Carnival Phantasm. I think its all from the bit where Shirou asks Rin to record something and she has some...difficulty...figuring out how to do it (mages and technology).

Anyway, I'm of two minds when it comes to Rin-Ishtar. On the one hand, I like it when its the servant themselves who are there, because I mean, I want the servant (kinda dislike Waver for this reason. I mean I like Waver, but I want the hero not him). On the other hand, it does rob you of having the original character instead.

I'm kinda curious if the supposed Kotomine-Rasputin will turn out though...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom