• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Favorite Memories of High School?

I went to boarding school so getting out finally was..... really anticlimactic.

A good memory was selling my unused sport uniforms to a fellow boarder's mother for $600.

Dereck

We used to freestyle at the lunch table.

The lunch table I usually sat at had one middle eastern guy, an African guy and the rest were black.

One thing I liked a lot about highschool was being the black guy that could sit at any table, the Asian table, the black football players table, the weirdos table, the white table, the white jocks table, whatever.

Lunch time was hilarious, we cracked jokes and stole each other's food.

I used to steal lunch.

I was cool with a handfull of teachers, in Highschool is where my music taste originated from.

I had my first kiss when I was in 11th grade. I smoked weed for the first time.

I would love to talk about how it sometimes sucked but that seems rather useless, no?

Africanus

The last time in my life I had a core group of classmates from a relatively similar geographical background.
Friends from my school came from NW Indiana, south suburbs and south side of Chicago. Now in college they come from California, Virginia, Nigeria, Bangladesh, India, Pakistan, Jamaica, Nepal. Sure we all have common interests, and I actually prefer my friend group now, but there are certain colloquialisms, jokes, and common regional references that are lost on people now.

Last time I actually had enjoyable history classes.

Feeling like I was making a difference in my school landscape (key player in making Science Olympiad team, political forum, key member of stage technicians and NHS treasurer).
Now, I sort of feel uninvolved in the wider school landscape. My involvement in campus activities varies but isn't as deep in any individual location (barring endangered snail research I do) Whereas I was known by a good portion of my high school on any given year, now, not too sure.

A part of me misses going home after school knowing that administration wasn't radically messing up something in my financial or educational or living situation. I love HU but...

Fighting against the man. My high school had a racist incident, and if it wasn't for me bringing pictures of it to life, they literally would have scrubbed away the evidence without mentioning it. It felt good making an impact, although to be fair I've done that at my unit as well.

Just the random hilarious moments like two guys splitting a watermelon in half with 100 rubber bands or people fainting during an assembly because they were kept in there too long.

Ending in the top ten of my class, because there's no way I'll make it there again in my life.

DopeToast

Banned
Lunch, having an awesome group of friends, football, being a happier person in general, and having little to no real responsibility, even if it didn't feel like it at the time. I didn't party and didn't really date at all, but my friends and I had a good time. Lots of video games, fucking around, cruisin', and 2:00 A.M. Waffle House/Steak 'n Shake trips.

FooTemps

Best memories of high school...

#1 Boxingstein, the best little high school beat-em-up fight club. We decided our own rules, had a website to promo matchups and have results/rankings, and beat the crap out of each other for fun. Walked out with chipped teeth, black eyes and loved it.

#2 Pizza bagels, Pizza + bagel = wtf this is great

Damaniel

Banned
When my 9th grade English teacher would bend down in front of me in that dress.

My 9th grade English teacher had to have been 80 years old, and a not-so-nice person to boot. If she bent down in front of me in a dress, I probably would have ended up barfing all over it.

Being able to go to Cali from AZ and meet a holocaust survivor and hear his story from being in a after school club dedicated learning more deeply about the holocaust and teaching people about it. Was really nice learning more about it than what they really teach you in school, was really different from other clubs I've been in.

My highschool experience was fun though, tons of good times, I'm still friends with the same crew to this day and we always have a good time laughing and shit, glad I still have that instead of just leaving highschool and everyone just leaving out of life.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
going to punk rock shows around new jersey with friends

skipping school to go to nyc to meet my girlfriend who went to one of those 1% private schools

playing magic the gathering with my best bud in his basement

Sakura

Being with my friends really. You know so many different people. But then after high school most of them sort of just drift away. Across the sea, other parts of the country, etc.
Being in high school and just shooting the shit with your friends, going to parties, trying to find someone to boot for you etc.

finishing, and laughing at all the losers that thought graduating was some sort of accomplishment [losers].

high school was such a fucked up / developmental time socially that i didn't even trust any of the "friendships" i made.

but all in all, i guess binge drinking, getting my first BJ, and smoking weed [near the end] was pretty fun?

Nowise10

Just having those moments with friends nearly every day where we would laugh constantly, often to the point of tears. Just doing stupid things, and getting into stupid situations. And not having a care in the world.

I also threw my gym teachers car keys, house keys, keys to the locker room, and to every door in the school onto the ceiling of our gym in front of my entire gym class. The locker room was locked, and he gave his set of keys to me to toss of to my classmates on the second floor railing. I gave it a twirl and flung it up, and it went completely fling, straight into the cieling and landed on some pipes. Did the walk of embarrassment, pity, and nervousness to the janitors office who gave me shit, and told me tough luck but they cant do anything about it. Gym teacher was a real nice sport about it, and i get a laugh everytime I think about it.

Dropping out my first year. My time in high school was miserable. Because of something I did near the end of middle school, the school didn't trust me being on my own and had an adult follow me everywhere I went.

I really fucking hated high school. I think the best memories for me were when I was alone wandering around whenever we had an hour off for lunch. Rain was nice too, as emo as I was.

Most destructive and least constructive of all my years.

Also, I went to an all male high school, which is the norm in my country. It's bullshit. As a result, I had no idea how to interact with girls for a very long time.

v1lla21

Getting a blowie behind the ROTC building.

Kicking it with my bros everyday. After highschool everyone started doing they own thing. Still got a small group of friends I regularly talk to but rarely see em.

StoneFox

Playing D&D every lunch hour. Going to Japan with some friends.

Hated college but loved high school. I miss my high school friends.

I don't think I had any good memorable moments in high school. I didn't really hate it either.
I was just one of those people in the background who doesn't stand out in any particular way. You wouldn't know I was ever there.

Neoxon

Thespian Convention during my senior year. It was one of my favorite experiences for high school & it helped me bond with my theatre family.

san00ake

Surrounding myself with Japanese culture: Studying the language, watching Japanese TV, playing Japanese games in Japanese, etc.

I've been living in Japan for 8 years and, for better or worse, anticipation was greater than realization.

I can barely remember it and I left only 2 years ago. I really didn't care for secondary school.

One thing I do remember was bailing on a German lesson with some fellow classmates to play basketball and wander around the school. That was a tolerable hour.

Edit: The things that have stayed with me the most are joining and leaving. Was very nervous when I joined and ecstatic when I left.

pbayne

It was all great. Only thing that sucks is that im pretty disconnected now with nearly everyone from those days, shame.

zerotol

Banned
Gambling in study hall. Internet and cell phones weren't a thing when I was in high school. We had a deck of cards and played poker for pocket change, which was then spent on any of the 6 vending machines that were in the cafeteria.

Top Bottom